Chapter 46: Pain

Black Suits(DREAMCATCHER)

 

"Thank you so much for dinner tonight, Mr Kim," said Siyeon to the family.

"No problem. I'm glad you girls came tonight, even though Jiu and Dami couldn't make it."

"Jiu's still resting but I guess she wouldn't mind if she has visitors tomorrow," said Sua.

"Can we, dad? Please?" Gahyeon perked up, asking Mr Lee with wide eyes.

"Alright, sweetheart. We will visit her tomorrow."

"Yay!" Suddenly, Siyeon's ringtone was heard. She was confused to see an unknown number on the screen, plus it didn't help that it was calling at a late hour.

"Sorry, I have to take this call." She left the dining area and went into the living room to take the call.

"Must be Taehyung," said Sua.

"Who's Taehyung?" asked Mr Lee.

"Siyeon unnie's boyfriend," said Gahyeon.

"Haa I see. So everyone already has a lover now," added Mrs Lee as they just chuckled along.

"Except Yoohyeon unnie mom, because she's a lesbian," teased Gahyeon.

"I'm not a freaking lesbian!" Yoohyeon snapped at her.

"Gahyeon's just messing with you Tree," Handong smiled, trying to calm her friend down.

"Yeah. Chill out, Tree unnie," Gahyeon was still teasing Yoohyeon relentlessly and Yoohyeon couldn't stand it eyeing her smirking face across the table.

"Come here, you small freak!" Yoohyeon stood up from the dining chair and went to get the little joker.

Gahyeon screeched, "Hyungwon oppa, help me! The walking tree is angry! Ahh!" Gahyeon ran away from Yoohyeon as the others laughed at their antics, watching the dorks chase each other around the dining table. Just then, Siyeon came into the dining area, hanging up her phone.

"Girls, we have to go," she directed towards her members.

"Leaving so soon, Siyeon?" asked Mr Lee.

Siyeon turned shortly at him, bowing curtly. "I'm sorry Mr Lee but we have an emergency. Let's go now." She turned towards the front doors. 

"Thank you for the dinner again, Mr and Mrs Lee." Sua and the rest bowed and they all walked out of the house.

"Yo, what's wrong?" Handong piped up from the back.

"Yeah, why are we in a rush," Yoohyeon added.

"Something happened, Siyeon?" Sua asked next to her.

Siyeon glanced at her members, her face grim."It's...Dami..."

--------------------------

Twenty minutes later, the girls arrived at the hospital and rushed towards the emergency area where they saw Taehyung. He was wearing the floor as he paced back and forth, as he waited in front of the emergency room.

"Taehyung, where is she?" asked Siyeon.

"She's inside...with Matt," said him. Siyeon didn't ask any more as she walked inside the emergency room and left her members outside.

"How's her condition?" asked Sua to Taehyung. He shook his head, unable to speak. 

Meanwhile, Siyeon walked briskly, her head turning to see a familiar face. She was searching for the hospital bed where Dami was and halted when she heard a familiar groan of pain. She followed the voice and saw Matthew and the staff were there standing around a hospital bed.

And then she saw Dami's figure lying motionless. It took everything in her not to rush towards her friend. From what Siyeon saw, she had some scratches on the right side of her face but what made Siyeon worried, even more, was Dami's serious injury. Her whole abdomen was wrapped tight with bandages, and she froze as the smell of burning flesh hit her.

Siyeon broke out of her thoughts when the doctor in charge came as she saw Siyeon standing just outside of the separating curtains.

"Siyeon." She called her name and Siyeon turned around to see Doctor Wendy. 

"How did this happen, Doc?" Siyeon asked in a glitching manner.

"Someone set the time bomb under the table where all the drugs were. And at that time she and the commander of the police elite tried to destroy the drugs. She sacrificed herself to save her squad members..." Doctor Wendy explained the situation.

"Did you give her serum injection?"

"I did but she has multiple shrapnel wounds on her abdomen. I don't know if it could be worse than a third-degree burn, but I have to treat her as much as I can before her wounds get infected." The conversation cut off when they heard Dami groan on the bed.

"Hang on, Yoobin. You're gonna be alright." Matthew tried to soothe her as he grabbed her hand and held it tightly.

"He's right, Dami. You're going to be okay. Doctor Wendy will treat you just fine." Siyeon also tried to calm her friend down. Suddenly, Dami grabbed Siyeon's sleeve and tried to form some words. Siyeon bent down, her ears close to Dami to hear what she was trying to say.

"D-don't...t-tell... J-J-Jiu..." Those were her last words before she continued groaning in pain.

"You guys can wait outside now," said Doctor Wendy to the others.

"Matt, let's go," said Siyeon to Matthew. He didn't let go at first but he knew Dami will tell him off if he didn't follow the doctor's orders. He slowly let go his hand from his fiancée's and they walked out from the emergency room.

As both of them went to their friends, a group of police elite walked through the hallway towards them and one of the members called out Siyeon's name. "Miss Siyeon?"

"Who are you?" she asked.

"I'm the commander of the elite police squad who went to the mission with Miss Dami. I came here to--" The commander didn't finish talking as a hard fist connected to his face and he fell down. The rest were looking at Matthew in shock as they saw him punching the Commander.

"How can you let her be like this?!" Matthew yelled. Fury emanated off him as a mental image of his burnt fiancée on the hospital bed resurfaced. The commander only stared at him as his lips started bleeding from the wound.

"We're sorry. We sincerely apologize for what has happened, please forgive us." The commander bowed down and begged for his forgiveness.

"Please forgive us!" His squad then followed, bowing towards him.

"Matthew, calm down." Taehyung patted Matthew's shoulder, trying to stop him but Matthew was not done as he grabbed the Commander's collars. Luckily, a presence was able to stop him as she stopped near the group.

"Madam Yoona..." 

"Matthew, let him go," Madam Yoona ordered.

"But ma'am, he's--."

"I said let him go." Matthew loosened his grip from the commander's collars. He turned back and walked away from them without another word.

"Taehyung, go after him." said Siyeon and Taehyung nodded, leaving them to accompany Matthew.

"How is she?" said Madam Yoona to Siyeon.

"The bomb has completely burned her subcutaneous tissue on her abdomen."

"Bomb?!" asked the girls.

"Someone already set the time bomb before she and the police squad came. She sacrificed herself to protect the Commander when they tried to destroy the drugs," she stated.

"Did you tell Jiu about it?" Madam Yoona asked again.

"Dami wouldn't let me."

"Of course she didn't let you tell Jiu. She doesn't want to make Jiu more worried because she's still recovering herself," said Sua.

"Now, Doctor Wendy is doing what she can do on her wounds from getting any infection."

"Let's just wait until Doctor Wendy comes out." The girls nodded and waited for Doctor Wendy, and they hoped for good news about their friend.

Meanwhile inside the emergency room, Doctor Wendy and the staff were trying to clean Dami's abdomen. They all can't believe that Dami is trying to keep conscious and hold the pain while the process is still going on.

"She's already got injected by an anesthetic. How she still manage to stay conscious?" asked one of the staff.

"If she can hold the pain, we don't have to worry about it." said Doctor Wendy to the staff. Then, she glanced at Dami, watching her trying to stay awake and fight with her pain even though she's already at her limit. She can tell by the tears that came out from Dami's which it's not the tears of pain.

"You're afraid... aren't you?" thought her as she continued what she has to do to save Dami.

"Don't worry... You're gonna be fine..."

I won't let you die.

----------------

An hour later, Doctor Wendy finally came out from the room and the girls went towards the doctor.

"Doc, how is she?" asked Sua.

"She's stable but right now she's unconscious. I've sedated her to let her rest."

"Thank goodness." The girls all felt relieved at Dami's news.

"But..." Doctor Wendy's face changed.

"What is it?" asked Handong.

"I managed to get her body from not getting any infection but some drugs had been spread into her abdomen when the bomb had been activated and it's a risky step to clean her abdomen in her current state," Doctor Wendy explained to them.

"Did she show any sign of aggressiveness?" asked Siyeon to the doctor.

Doctor Wendy shook her head, "Assessing from the pain, I believe it was what held her from attacking me outright."

The girls had heard about Dami's latest condition but they had to get ready if anything would happen to her. They just had two people taking the drugs and all of them went completely out of control. They all hope that their friend wouldn't be the third victim. 

The girls turned around and looked at Madam Yoona, who was talking to the Commander who just had a call from his main office.

"Did your people investigate the workers, Commander?" They heard Madam Yoona ask the Commander.

"Yes ma'am but... all of them didn't know about the bomb," the commander replied. The girls turned suspicious glares at the Commander.

"That's ing bullsh*t!" Yoohyeon yelled at him.

"Language, Agent Yoohyeon," Madam Yoona snapped.

"I'm sorry Ma'am but it just doesn't make sense that none of them knows about the bomb. They were the only ones in the building!" Yoohyeon tried not to lose her temper and let her be the second to throw fists at the commander.

"But... one of the workers said that their boss had gone to the location earlier this evening," the Commander sighed.

"Who?" asked Siyeon.

"I don't know, Miss Siyeon. They refrained to speak."

"Could it be... L?" said Yoohyeon.

"Who's L?" Siyeon asked again but this time the girls and Madam Yoona froze as they realized that Siyeon still didn't know about the one who was behind all this illegal activity. The one that destroyed half of her life two years ago.

"Siyeon, L is the boss of the mafia that we have to capture, the one that created the Angel Dust and..." Sua suddenly bit her lips, evading her eyes as she was not able to tell her.

"And what, Sua?"

"He was the one that shot you and Agent Hongbin two years ago," Madam Yoona continued, telling her the truth. Siyeon was shocked as memories recalled back to what happened to her and Hongbin. She remembered that painful incident, especially so as Hongbin who died in front of her.

"All of you knew except me?! Why didn't you girls tell me about it?!" Siyeon was riled up. Of course, she wanted to know any information about the killer. She turned hurt eyes towards her members.

"Do not blame your friends, Siyeon. It's my fault that I didn't tell you earlier. I'm sorry." Madam Yoona felt sorry for her agent as she had her reason why she wanted to keep it a secret from her. Siyeon pursed her lips, no other reply coming from her.

"Could it be that he's set the bomb before you and Dami went into that building?" asked Handong.

"But how would he know about the mission? I thought it's classified?" While the girls thought of L's tricks, The Commander's phone rang with a new message. He grabbed his phone and opened the message. His eyes widened as he read the message from the unknown number.

"Madam..." He called Madam Yoona and gave the phone to her. As she read the message, her eyes went wide similar to the Commander.

"Girls." She gave the phone to Siyeon.

----------

- Trapped like a trap in a trap. When two mice took a fall into the trap, five mice will fall into the same trap too but one of the mice will rise...with a different side -

----------

"That must be him!" said Yoohyeon.

"Two mice took a fall. Could it be... Jiu and Dami?" asked Handong.

"Five mice? Only four of us left. Who's the last one?" said Sua.

"Does he know about you too, Madam?" asked the Commander.

"I'm not sure..." Madam Yoona replied.

"We have to keep you safe from now, ma'am," said Sua to her boss.

"I'm not the only one who's been targeted. Who's gonna keep you girls safe?"

"We are," said Handong.

"We will protect each other. That's what you taught us. Protect people that we love," added Yoohyeon and they agreed. However, Madam Yoona still looked troubled.

"Girls, listen." The girls turned to her.

"I taught and trained you girls to protect everyone but that doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice yourselves. Now, everyone already has their own partners, so think about them first. Do not make them worry about you. You already saw Mino who was worried about Jiu before this and you guys saw how worried Matthew was about Dami." The girls were unable to speak as they knew their boss was worried about their wellbeing.

"I don't want to lose any of my daughters again. I tried to cover up my emotions but now...I can't anymore." Madam Yoona shook as her tears fell. The girls stood still as they saw Madam Yoona shed tears. They never saw their boss crying, let alone lash out any emotions other than proudness and anger.

"Madam..."

"Please, I'm begging you... Think about others who love you before you can start sacrificing yourself." The girls looked at each other, with determined eyes and nodded at each other.

"Madam Yoona, I'm sorry." Siyeon finally spoke out and Madam Yoona looked at her.

"But I don't have anyone that I love in my life." Siyeon's statement made everyone shocked.

"What are you talking about?" asked Sua.

"After Hongbin's death, I couldn't love anyone anymore until now. Hongbin's soul must be paid by another. I have to find L, to make him pay what he had done to me two years ago."

"Lee Siyeon, don't be ing selfish! Think about someone who's in your life right now!" exclaimed Yoohyeon.

"What about Taehyung?!" Handong added.

"I've tried to erase Hongbin from my memory but I can't! Why? because Taehyung is like him when he was alive. His kindness, his pure heart, even the way he talks is exactly like Hongbin. That's why I can't forget about Hongbin and even if I'm already with Taehyung, I still can't accept him to be a part of my life."

"Is that true, Siyeon?" The group turned around and saw Taehyung was stood behind Siyeon alone.

"You don't love me?" he asked again.

"Taehyung, y-you don't understand--,"  Siyeon tried to explain but Taehyung didn't want to hear it anymore.

"No- I get it now... Why you can't love me." Taehyung quickly turned around and walked away to the exit without turning back. Siyeon called for Taehyung and started to go after him.

"Taehyung, wait!" Siyeon tried to stop him but he didn't stop as he almost reached his car.

"Kim Taehyung!" Siyeon shouted at him and he finally stopped. Siyeon tried to catch her breath after she had to run after him outside the hospital.

"Please, let me explain about what I just said..." Siyeon started but Taehyung burst. His anger and hurt showing forth. 

"I heard all of it, Lee Siyeon! What do you want to explain more?! If you don't want us to be in a relationship, then why didn't you tell me earlier before we had our first night?!" Taehyung yelled at her and Siyeon only stared, as it was her first time seeing Taehyung completely mad. 

"Taehyung, I-I..."

"I love you from the first time I met you. After I heard about your late fiance's incident, I want to cure your broken heart. I don't mind if I was going to be your late fiancé's substitute, at least I managed to heal you. But, I didn't realize that I haven't cured your heart completely." He was upset as it seemed Siyeon was only playing with his emotions.

"Taehyung--"

"I will get my things back tomorrow morning. I don't want you to live with someone that you don't love." Siyeon was shocked to hear Taehyung breaking up with her. Taehyung unlocked his car as he left Siyeon outside. He started his engine and drove away from the hospital, leaving her alone and this time, she didn't try to stop him. Then, the rain fell in a downpour as she looked up at the rain. The raindrops on her body making her body numb.

"Why... why does every painful moment always end up in the rain..." she mumbled.  Then, she saw an umbrella appearing above her. She glanced around and saw Sua was beside her.

"Siyeon, let's go. You're gonna catch a cold if you stay out in this heavy rain for too long." Sua tried to take her back to the hospital but Siyeon refused to budge, instead looked down on the ground.

"I want to go home..." she replied.

"Let me give you a ride."

"I want to walk." She refused Sua's offer.

"Siyeon, please--"

"Just leave me alone!" Siyeon yelled at her and Sua saw her anguished face. She's crying but the rain blended them away.

Siyeon walked away from her and let the rain covered her form. The other girls stood back in the canopy, watching her go alone in the heavy rainfall.

"I was right..."

I should have died when I got shot two years ago...

End Of Chapter 46.