Chapter 31: Just Ride

Black Suits(DREAMCATCHER)

 

Handong rode on her bike as she went to her home where she asked Xiumin to wait in front of her house. She went with full speed and passed the cars easily as she switched from one lane to another. The cars honked at her as she sped by but she barely heard them over the roar of engine from her motorcycle.

As she reached her house, she spotted a man with a bike parked in front of her house and immediately knew it was Xiumin. At the same time, Xiumin looked around as he heard an engine rumbling and he recognized the black bike and the rider who was headed in his direction.

Handong halted her bike suddenly and caused it to lift up a bit, landing right next to Xiumin's bike.

"What a nice entrance," Xiumin chuckled, clapping his hands. Handong took off her helmet and fixed her hair. 

"Sorry, I had an errand to do," she got off of her bike and put her helmet on the seat

"To Lee's?"

"Nah, it's somewhere else."

"Ah... I see."

Handong nodded her head to the house, "Let go inside. I'm gonna get changed first."

"It's okay, I will wait outside. I'm a bit shy to go to your house."

"Why are you being shy for? It's hot outside and you're gonna get burned. Come on." Xiumin relented, as it looked like Handong was not taking no as an answer. She unlocked the front door and she went inside, inviting him in. 

"You live alone?" Xiumin looked around the living room, noticing it was moderately decorated but looked cozy to live in.

"I used to live with my mom but she wanted to stay in China so she went, and now I live here alone." Handong put her keys on the coffee table and went to her room to change her suit to more comfortable clothes. Xiumin was in the living room, peering at the pictures through glass-pane cupboard and also on the wall where it showed Handong and an older woman who he thought was her mother. Looking around the picture frames, he realized Handong doesn't have any of her childhood photos displayed.

"Does she not have her childhood photos?" Xiumin thought. Then, he went to another cabinet where the trophies had been placed. 

"She won a lot of trophies. Maybe she used to be a athletic," he smirked. He didn't realize that Handong was behind him, following his movements as he looked at the picture frames. She had changed into simple white shirt, black leather jacket and black jeans. 

"What are you looking at?" Handong made Xiumin jump as he turned around and saw Handong casually leaning against the wall, hands crossed loosely in front of her.

"Ouh, I'm just looking at these trophies," He pointed at said objects. "Did you play sports in high school?"

"Well...sort of."

"What do you mean?"

"I will at another time. Now, let's go, shall we?" Xiumin nodded as they walked out of the house. 

"Wait, so where are we going?" Handong still didn't know where they will be going.

"Well, we're just taking a ride and go to a place where we can relax on our free weekend," said Xiumin. 

"Hmm I like it. I'll just follow wherever you want to go."

"But first, we're gonna stop at a gas station to refuel. After that, our journey will commence."

"Okay." They started they engine and put on their helmets. Xiumin went off first, Handong followed closely behind. As they arrived to a nearby gas station, they refueled their bike and after they were done, they started their ride and went off somewhere that Handong didn't know. 

They have been traveling for twelve kilometers until they decided to stop at the nearest seafood restaurant for lunch. They were starving as they hadn't eaten much beforehand.

"We'll stop here for lunch, what do you think?" asked Xiumin. 

"Fine by me, I'm already starving," Handong commented. They walked into the restaurant and sat on an empty table beside the window. Then, the waiter came to take their orders. After they picked their orders and the waiter went back to the kitchen, Handong took out her phone and took a selfie.

"The lighting is nice in here," She checked the picture.

"You like taking selfies?" asked Xiumin.

"Yeah. Usually people will share it on social media I but I never post it. I think it's better to keep them than sharing it and posting on Instagram or any social media."

"That's great. You want to keep the memory for yourself, right?" Handong nodded.

"May I take a photo of you as well?" Handong asked Xiumin's permission to take his photo. 

"Eh? n-no I don't want-" Xiumin refused waving his hands at her.

"Cmon, just one. Please~" Handong still begged. Xiumin finally gave up as he couldn't resist Handong's kitten eyes.

"Alright.." Handong giggled as Xiumin allowed her to take his picture. Handong got her phone camera ready.

"Ready, 1..2..3.. Smile."
*click*

Handong checked the picture and she chuckled as she saw Xiumin's awkward smile on the pic.

"What an awkward smile and your face is red and puffy in this photo." Handong's eyes crinkled looking at the photo.

"What? Delete it," Xiumin reached for her phone, trying to delete the picture himself.

Handong moved just in time. She's not letting him touch her phone. "But it looks fine to me so I won't delete it," she grinned.

"By the way Handong. Can I ask you something?" asked Xiumin.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Why don't you have any of your childhood photos in your house?" Xiumin recalled when he was in Handong's house and he noticed the lack of photos of toddler-aged Handong.

"Ouh that's... hmm... It's hard to explain but let's just say that I had been raised in hell when I was a kid," Handong's statement made Xiumin worried. 

"What do you mean?" Xiumin's head tilted, wanting more information.

"I never knew who my real parents were. I was raised in an orphanage but it's not like any other normal orphanage that people know. It's a place where they sell kids to people who want organs or raise them as ."

"So your mom that you had mentioned before was not your real mom?"

"Yes. She found me after I managed to escape and run away from that hellish place. She took me away and after that, she took care of me like I was her child."

"That's why you don't have any pleasant childhood memories. Speaking of, Gahyeon also lost her childhood memories."

"You know about her childhood incident?"

"You do?"

"Yeah. Yesterday, she told us that she finally got her childhood memories back."

"Really? how?"

"It's a long story but I will make it short. She found the boy who saved her from the incident."

"A boy who gave her her star necklace when she was in coma?"

"How did you know the story?"

"Her parents told me about it. When they got a call from the hospital that Gahyeon got into an accident, they quickly went to the hospital and the doctor said that she's in coma and she would likely lose her memories due to her injury. He also mentioned a teenage boy was the one that saved her at the incident and sent her to the hospital just in time. If he didn't, Gahyeon would have died. They really wanted to meet the boy but he was already gone and the only sign he was there was a star necklace on the table. He said that it was for Gahyeon.

"She wore the necklace ever since she gained consciousness and never took it off. She said that she felt the person who gave the necklace was someone special and turned out she was right.  And she found him too, her childhood friend."

"Thank goodness..." At that time, the food that they ordered had arrived. They enjoyed eating together and filling their stomach with delicious food. After they finished, Handong was about to stand up and pay for their lunch but Xiumin stopped her.

"It's okay, I will pay," he immediately stood up and walked to the cashier.

"Eh, no you don't have t-- Xiumin! aish seriously," Handong didn't bother stopping him as he was paying already. She took her helmet and walked to the door as she waited for Xiumin. After he was done paying their lunch, they walked out of the restaurant and went to their bikes. But they stopped as they saw a group of teenaged boys gathered around their bike and one of them sat on Handong's bike. 

"Woah, check out this bike. It has the coolest design and black is my favourite colour." He sat on Handong's bike and played on it, pretending that he was racing through the streets. Then, they saw two adults approachind them. 

"Hey kid, can you please move? That's her bike that you're on," said Xiumin.

"Kid? Do we look like a elementary school kids to you, ajusshi?" the teen boy was a little mad. Before anything got worse, Handong tried to calm the boy down.

"Look, he didn't mean to say that. He just wants you to get up from my bike. We're traveling you see," said Handong nicely. 

He didn't move a bit. "Your bike, it's attractive. I want to buy it. Just tell me how much you want to sell and I will pay," said the cocky boy. 

"No thank you. This bike is not for sale," Handong refused.

"Why don't we race then. If I win, I will take your bike. If you win, you will take my bike over there." He pointed at the silver grey Suzuki AEM Carbon Fiber Hayabusa motorcycle. Compared to her Kawasaki Ninja, that bike is the world's fastest motorcycle ever made. 

"It's dangerous. Just ignore them," Xiumin tried to pull Handong from getting into trouble but she shook her head, she wanted to race. It has been a long time since she didn't race.

"No no it's okay, Xiumin. I know what I'm doing," Handong assured him. "Alright, I will accept your challenge. Don't cry if you lose to a woman." Handong already warned him. 

"Lose? I have already won 2 GP races in the country. There's no way I can lose to a woman like you," His vulgar attitude made Handong's need to win even more.

"Wow, I'm sure that I will lose to a 2 times champion." She pretended that she was afraid but for her, he was still in newbie rank. They get on their bike and went on the road where the others stood. 

"So we start here and you have to turn back at the roundabout, 400 meters from here and the finish line will be here too, do you guys understand?" said one of the teen who will be their referee. Handong and her contestant started their engine as they put on their helmets and waited for the referee's sign. 

"On your mark... "

"Get set... "

"Go!" 

Handong and the teen shot forward. The boy immediately had a couple meters gap and Handong was left behind him. 

"That girl is already falling behind, he will sure win this race," his friends were already betting.

"Cmon, Handong." Xiumin muttered to himself and watched the race. The boy was still ahead and he almost reached the roundabout but when he was about to make a U-turn, he almost lost his balance as he going too fast to turn around. At that time, Handong did a drift, made a perfect U-turn at the roundabout and she finally sped up to the finishing line.

"What the?!" the others that watched the race including Xiumin were shocked as they saw the person who was speeding towards the finish line was Handong. She finally reached and won the race. The boy was right behind her, eating dust.

"Damn it!" He took off his helmet and whimpered after he lose to a woman. His friends went towards him as they didn't know what happened to him.

"Hey Jisung, how can you lose?" asked one of his friends.

"I lost my balance at the roundabout." Handong also took off her helmet, got up from her bike and walked towards Jisung and company with Xiumin.

"Because you didn't balance between your speed and brake. Simple physics kid. When you're too fast at the roundabout, your momentum would be off so you'll lose your balance when you make the U-turn," Handong spoke.

"I-I just gave a chance for you to win only because you don't know about racing." Jisung tried to cover his embarrassment as he still couldn't accept his defeat to a woman.

"Don't know about racing? I know a lot more about racing than you since I started when I was fifteen." Handong smirked.

"You do?" asked Jisung. 

"I'm just focused on women GP race but I haven't watched the race recently."

"Pfft...  women racers . They can't defend their title for too long. At least they can defend for 2 years only. They are not good like one woman racer that I know," Jisung mocked as he thought that women racers were weak.

"You know about woman racers too?" asked Handong.

"Yeah, her nickname is HD. She defended her title for 5 years and she became one of the top 10 of GP racers, the only woman in that ranking but she suddenly disappeared without a trace." 

"Yeah, I heard about her," said Handong, at the same time trying to keep her face steady.

"She's awesome and one of my favorite racer that I want to compete with. The best thing about her is she never shows her face to the public. Even when she wins, she never took off her helmet. Wish that I can see her face or at least had a single match with her." Handong covered her giggles after she heard what Jisung said. 

"About the deal?" she recalled about their deal.

"Ouh yeah...here." Jisung took out his key to give to Handong but she cupped his hand still with the keys, refusing it.

"Just keep it. I don't want your bike even though it's a lot more expensive than mine. Maybe you'll see me again and we will have a race together next time." Handong and Xiumin walked away and went to their bikes. 

"Noona! I still don't know your name!" Jisung shouted. 

"My name is Handong. See ya!" Handong and Xiumin put on their helmets and started the engine. Jisung and his friends watched them go until they couldn't see them anymore.

"Handong...Is she Chinese?" asked Jisung. 

"Dude, Handong is HD." Jisung and the others were shocked with one of his friend's sudden statement.

"What?!"

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Jisung shook his friend. 

"Dude, her name is Handong, H for Han... D for Dong, H.D. Why are you guys so ing stupid?" his friend shot back.

"I should've taken a selfie with her if I knew that she was HD. It was my first time seeing her face to face," said Jisung.

"Dude, you said that you wanted to race with HD, right? I guess your wish had been fulfilled." said his other friend.

"Yeah, you're right," He smirked, looking at the road the duo just left.

End Of Chapter 31.