Chapter 41: Minji's Secret

Black Suits(DREAMCATCHER)

"What the ! Get her!" ordered one of the boys. The group pounced like wild beasts among a fleeing prey, but the prey was the red haired girl. Immediately they threw fists and blows, however the girl fought back as she crouched low and swung her leg around her. One by one, the boys' legs were hit and they lost their balance. She glanced at the only boy left. Sensing the danger he realized too late, he spun around and ran. He didn't get far as the red haired girl caught up and knocked him down with her knee on his back. His body didn't move after he landed on the ground.

Looking at the assailants, she scoffed. As much as they were bullies, they were out after the first blow.

She turned and looked at the lone boy. She assessed he only had minor injuries as she finished the fight after he got a few hits in.

Bending down to meet him, she asked worriedly, "Are you okay? Can you get up?" 

He nodded. "I'm fine," he spoke shortly. 

"Do these freaks always bully you?" the girl asked, nodding towards the incapacitated juveniles.

The boy could only nod at his saviour. 

"I guess they can't mess with you anymore," she smirked. Then, she glanced at the boy's school badge on his school uniform clearly showing that he went to the same school as her.

"You sure that you're okay? Want me to take you to the hospital?" she asked again.

"N-no I'm okay" he refused.

"Well, if you're okay then I guess I can go now." She stood up and and grabbed her school bag, dusted them off of debris and sand.

"Excuse me, Miss. I didn't catch your name," he spoke up.

"Kim Minji. See you around.. somewhere," she waved and walked away. Leaving him staring at the girl's back.

Kim Minji aka Jiu was a normal high school girl but she was from a rich and wealthy family. Her family owned a business company and due to the mass income, they lived in a luxury lifestyle. But beyond her exterior luxurious life, she had lost both of her parents from a car accident when she was fifteen years old. She was left alone in this world. Her father's company was supposed to be handed and managed by her, but considering Jiu was still young and inexperienced, she gave her father's company with her utmost trust to her father's close friend, Mr Song. 

Growing up, Mr Song was the only person she knew as he was a frequent visitor in the Kim's household. At first, Mr Song refused the offer as he didn't think he could handle the heavy responsibility that came by owning a business. Jiu pled and begged him to rethink the decision again until he agreed to take over the company. 

At school, she was a quiet girl and didn't have any friends. She was always alone and was bullied regularly by her classmates because of her red hair. Jiu never fought back even though she learned kickboxing. She just kept to herself and didn't let any of their scathing remarks affect her. She promised herself she would never use her skills to fight back, instead, she wanted to help other people in trouble. 

Of course, like any promises, it had to be broken.

Jiu was sitting alone in class. It was break, meaning students were either having snacks or having fun outside. However, Jiu preferred to spend her time indoors and using her free time to revise for her upcoming tests. It's not like she would have fun outside anyways. 

Jiu's focus was broken by a group of girls, 4 students coming in through the class door. Jiu immediately raised her guards up, if not for the glares each of them were shooting at her. One of them, presumably the leader, kicked Jiu's table away creating a mess of books and pens that were on the table. Jiu turned and glared at the girl.

"Hey red hair, what did you do to my boyfriend!?"

"Sorry?"

The girl rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Don't pretend to be innocent, you ing brat! He's been talking nonstop about you since our date last weekend?!" Then, Jiu stood up showing the palm of her hands to placate her.

"I didn't do anything. I just helped him with his homework."

"You ing liar!" the girl punched her and Jiu bent down, gripping her stomach in a grimace. The gang grabbed her as both of her arms were wrenched to her sides. The leader walked up to her, taking out a paper knife from her pocket.

"Take out your phone. This is gonna be my best art," she asked one of her gang members to capture what was about to happen.

"Don't get her killed, dude," spoke one of her gang.

"No, I'm not gonna kill her. I just want her to suffer... as I dice her shoulder." She smirked and sliced open Jiu's uniform.

"Please, I'm begging you. Don't do this," Jiu begged them for mercy.

"Sorry, I can't hear you~" The girl lowered the knife towards her skin. As the knife started to slice across Jiu's collarbone towards her shoulder, she started screaming in pain. 

"Shut ." One of the gang shut Jiu's mouth, partly blocking her airway to breath. Meanwhile, the girl continued slicing her shoulder. The other girls smirked as Jiu struggled and continued to scream, even if it was muffled by the girl's hand.

"And done." The two girls right away tossed Jiu on the ground. Wiping their hands as if she had a disease they didn't want to catch.

 Jiu remained crumpled on the ground, feeling numerous trickles and rivers of blood coming out of the painful gashes she received.

"Did you get all the footage?" the girl asked the girl who recorded the scene. She nodded, showing the video to the leader. As the girl was about to place her phone inside her pocket, one of the girls stopped her.

"Wait, one last thing." She took a picture of Jiu lying motionless on the ground.

"Okay, we've got all the footage," she spoke, satisfied. 

"This is going to be viral when we post this," giggled the leader. 

"But, what if she tells her parents about us?" asked another.

"You girls don't know?" she turned around and looked at Jiu.

"Her parents' dead. And even if she wants to, she could only cry and complain on their tombstones!" the girls cackled. Jiu's blood was boiling, she was patient enough to handle the hooligans in her school, but they crossed the line when they mentioned her parents.

"Let's get out of here." The girls moved to the door but one of the gang members turned back and saw Jiu using a nearby desk to get up. 

"Everyone, look. That red hair b*tch is trying to get up," she mocked and her friends laughed. One of the members walked towards her. 

"What is it, red hair? Wanna hit us? Go on," the girl taunted Jiu.

Balling her fists, she let out a sinister reply. "My...pleasure." Jiu did an uppercut as the receiver flew off from her feet and landed, back first. The girl could only spit out blood from and fainted from the pain.

"Damn you!" Then, two girls made a move to land punches on Jiu's person. Jiu was moving fast, managing to avoid their attack. Even though her left shoulder was injured, she still had another arm to fully use, as well as her two feet. Getting enough of their weak punches, she swung her leg towards one of the girl's head. The girl spun as she fell, her forehead hitting a corner of a desk before she landed on the floor.

Another girl attacked as she slammed Jiu to the wall. Then, Jiu used her right elbow and hit her back. The girl backed off in pain and Jiu used her left knee to land a direct hit at her face. The girl immediately covered her nose, as she deduced that her nose might be broken. Jiu didn't let her rest as she finished her with a cross punch. The girl fell down and remained unconscious.

All the gang members were defeated and the only one left was the leader of the group. She watched all her friends got finished by Jiu and she looked up at the bleeding girl, frightened.

"Get up, you assh*les!" ordered the leader. Instead of her gang responding, Jiu ran towards her and aimed her fist towards her face. The poor girl who could only freeze in fear, fell down to the ground. Fighting from falling unconscious, she crawled to the door to get out but Jiu kicked her stomach and her body skidded to the wall. 

Jiu saw the knife that the girl used to torture her. She took it and went to the girl, grabbing her collar.

"How does it feel, getting beaten by the red haired b*tch?" Jiu smirked, feeling much better than before. The girl was shivering in fear. She didn't know who to blame, herself or the girl who practically deceived everyone of her abilities. 

"I'm sorry, Minji. I was wrong. Please forgive me!" The girl begged for mercy but Jiu didn't listen to her. If this wasn't the works of karma, then she didn't know what else was.

"I admit, what you did here really hurt," Jiu said looking at her shoulder. "I could've taken it all but... what's most ing painful is when you mention my parents!" Jiu screamed and aimed the knife towards her face. She stopped halfway when she noticed some liquid flowing from the girl's skirt.

Jiu sneered as she smelled the liquid. "This is your only warning. Mention my parents again and you're dead." Jiu warned her and the girl nodded, whimpering as she cried. Jiu got up and walked away, taking the time she had before other students started filing indoors for class. She only managed to get out of the classroom doors until she collapsed on the ground. Her adrenaline spent, she felt exhausted after her loss of blood.

A few hours later, Jiu woke up and realized that she was lying on a hospital bed. She looked around, trying to see if she could ask anyone what happened. Remembering what happened before she fainted, she glanced at her left shoulder which had been wrapped in bandages. Lightly touching it, she was glad the pain flared once before it dulled to a slight burning pain. Suddenly, a beautiful lady entered her room.

"Miss Kim Minji, you're awake. Thank goodness," gushed the unknown lady.

"Who are you? How did you know my name?" Jiu asked her, suspicious.

"You can just call me Madam Yoona. How's your shoulder by the way? Does it still hurt?" asked Madam Yoona.

"No," said Jiu shortly, moving her shoulders around. Then, another person came inside the room. Jiu's eyes lit up in recognition at the man.

"Minji, thank God that you're okay," the man felt relief as he saw Jiu awake.

"Uncle Song, how did you know I'm here?" As Jiu asked Mr Song, he pointed at Madam Yoona. 

"She called me and told me that you were sent to the hospital because of a fight you had with some girls in your school. Never knew it would be this bad," He commented distractedly, trying to remember if anything similar happened in his school days. 

"What happened Minji? You were never involved in any school fights before and the first time I hear it, you land yourself in a hospital." Mr Song asked worriedly, trying to coax for her reply. Jiu had never told him that she had been bullied because she didn't want him to feel worry for her. 

"Mr Song. Please don't scold her. Jiu must have had her own reasons."

"I'm sorry if my scolding takes you the wrong way, Minji, but I have to. I worry about you so I have to speak up. If your parents were still here, I feel they would've done a better job." Mr Song stated. Jiu felt a slight annoyance as he mentioned her parents.

"It's okay uncle. You don't have to worry about me. Besides, you're not my father anyway."

"Minji, why did you say that?" asked Madam Yoona.

"You're right, ma'am. I have my own reasons why I kicked those ing bastards. Because they mocked and made fun of my parents!"

"Minji..." Mr Song impression changed after he heard the truth from Jiu's mouth.

"I wouldn't have cared if they continued to bully me and torture me everyday but they spoke about my parents and now I can't forgive them. If you were in my place right now, you would've  done the exact same I did, uncle. That's why I did that. Now, they got their lesson to NEVER mention my parents ever again." Tears came out from her eyes as she let out her truth.

"Mr Song, I think we better give her some space right now," said Madam Yoona to Mr Song. He remained silent and walked out of the room, Madam Yoona following behind.

That night, Jiu was watching the night sky through the window. She regained her self control after her breakdown, and it took a lot of energy for her to do so. Now, she could only pass the time by looking at the cars passing by the roads and stars glittering in the night sky. Suddenly, someone came into her room and was shocked to see Madam Yoona in front of her. As far as she knew, visiting hours was only until 5 in the evening.

"Madam Yoona? What are you doing here? The visitor's time is over," said Jiu. Madam Yoona seemed to ignore her statement as she was focused on something else. She proceeded to her bed and sat beside her.

"I want to take you out of here. I want to help you become stronger than ever," stated Madam Yoona.

"What do you mean?" 

"I want you to become an agent."

"An agent?" 

"Actually, I have been following you all this time because I've heard of a teenage girl fighting with other boys on the street because she helped a victim from getting bullied. And I could only deduce that that teenager was you, Minji."

"No, that wasn't me. You found the wrong person," Jiu shook her head, denying it. 

"You can keep your secret from Mr Song but not me. You don't protect yourself from trouble and instead, you help those in trouble. Why?"

"Because... I don't have anybody to care about me anymore. When I walked on the street and saw someone getting bullied, I can imagine myself in their position because I'm bullied too, in school, every single day." Jiu finally told the truth and Madam Yoona finally understood the teenager's problem. 

"That's more reason why I want you to become an agent, Minji. So, you can help people from becoming a victim and fight people who are doing bad in the world, stop them from spreading more negativity. What do you say?"

"But... what about uncle?"

"You told me that he's not your dad. Why would you care what he says?" Jiu's attention snapped at Madam Yoona. Surprised she spoke that. 

"I thought you were on his side?" Jiu asked.

"Since when? I don't even know him," Madam Yoona chuckled.

"Eh? then, how did you find his number?"

"I told you that I've been keeping track on you for some time. Come on, let's go." Madam Yoona helped her get up from the bed. She took the wheelchair and Jiu sat on it before she pushed it to the door and walked out of the ward.

Since then, Madam Yoona trained and helped her along with Siyeon to become stronger, a much better person than before. But the scars she received couldn't be erased. That was why she decided to get a tattoo, of roots with thorns, Red Bittersweet flower; representing the 'Truth'. Where the truth behind the tattoo Jiu have been hiding, all started because of her parents.

______________

Jiu ran towards Hyunwoo and tried to attack him. Hyunwoo slid away and karate-chop and hit Jiu down. She quickly got up and kicked him but he managed to hold her leg with just one hand and he moved forward, swinging his fist towards her face. Jiu fell back on the ground and spat out blood from .

"He's strong..." she muttered as she struggled to get up. 

"Did it hurt?" Hyunwoo went to Jiu and pulled her hair up, forcing her to be on her tiptoes.

"We're not done yet, sweetheart," he smirked. Jiu spat on his face, landing some combination of spit and blood across his cheeks and some on his dress shirt.

His patience running, he punched her stomach many times and she spat out more blood from the impact.

"Hyunwoo, I'm begging you. Please stop!" Sua begged for mercy for her friend. Hyunwoo was relentless as he kept punching Jiu like a punching bag. Then, he stopped his action when he noticed Jiu stopped reacting to his blows. He threw Jiu away carelessly, not caring if he managed to injure her more.

"Looks like she's already dead, I guess. Damn, this drug is real good." He smirked and rolled his shoulder, as he was satisfied with his work. Sua was breathless as she saw Jiu didn't give any sign of movement.

"Look at this mess, so much blood on floor, who's gonna clean it up? Your friend made this room so dirty." Hyungwoo laughed like crazy and Sua lunged at him. 

Nearing him, she slapped him hard across the face. He turned to her slowly, his face disbelieving at her action. Before Sua could react, he closed his fingers around her neck and raised his arm up until her feet started swinging in the air.

"It's your fault, Bora. If you would've followed my order from the start, this day would not happen and your friend right there would still be alive." He started to tighten his grip on her neck until Sua couldn't breathe. His grin plastered across his face, seeming to be happy that he would be the cause of another's death.

But then, someone injected him from behind. He let Sua go and whirled around to see Jiu with a syringe in her hand. She used the last of her energy and used a syringe to inject him with an unknown drug. 

"You're still alive, huh?" Hyunwoo didn't wait as he swung his fist onto Jiu and she slammed to the wall.

"You're dead meat, you red b*tch!" He walked towards Jiu and was planning the best way to end her life but suddenly, his movements stopped, and he slumped down on the ground. He urged all his willpower to move, but he couldn't. He could think for sure, but his limbs weren't obeying his commands at all. Just as he started to lose control of his body, he started to feel numb all over, feeling like his body was paralyzed. Like a chain reaction, he struggled to breathe as his body started to shut down.

"What have you... done to me?!" He yelled at Jiu as he saw a smirk plastered on her tired face.

"Neuro-block drug..." Jiu spoke. Neuro-block or Neuromuscular-blocking drug, was a drug that was used to paralyze all of the muscles, including the respiration muscles.  Hyunwoo, stubborn as he was, still struggled to get up but then, he saw human legs in front of his face. He followed where the legs led, until he looked up at Sua's face in front of his own.

"Bora..." he spoke her name for the last time. 

"Goodbye...Hyunwoo." She smashed his face with her leg and his head snapped to the side, bouncing hard on the concrete floor rendering him unconscious. Then, she went to Jiu who was leaning her upper body on the wall, fighting to stay conscious.

"Hang in there, dude. Medic will come here soon," Sua spoke. Jiu coughed out more blood as her condition was getting worse.

"Hyungwoo was right. It's all my fault..." Sua blamed herself as she looked down. Her tears fell down in streams, meeting down her chin and dropping on her lap. Then, Jiu patted her shoulder and made her look up. 

"It's not your fault, Sua..." said Jiu as she put on a small smile. She needed to be strong for her friend even if she felt pain herself.

"But I put you and Jimin at risk. Look at what he had done to both of you." Sua kept blaming herself.

"Don't blame yourself... you didn't do anything. All of this is your ex-husband's fault. Jimin and I are your friends and--" Jiu didn't finish her sentence as she coughed out blood. 

"Don't speak now. Save your energy." Sua asked her to stop talking, but Jiu shook her head and caught her breath. 

Jiu continued, "And that's what friends do. Help each other..." She grinned and coughed again, this time more blood came out than before.

", where the hell are the medic squad ?!" Sua worried that Jiu's condition might go worse, and she just hoped the medic squad came in quick after this.

"Sua..." Jiu called out her name as Sua turned and looked at her. 

"You're really immune... aren't you?"

"What do you mean?"

"You still manage to get up even though Hyunwoo tortured you really bad..."

"All the torture that he did to me... I can't feel the pain anymore," confessed Sua. 

"That's why... you're the unbeatable member in... our team..." Jiu was already at her limit and she coughed blood, like her guts were rejecting them.

"Jiu, please. You're gonna be alright." Sua held her hand as Jiu's face started to pale as the result of her blood loss.

"Hey, Sua...one last thing..."

"What?"

"Happy...Birthday..." Jiu smiled wearily and then slowly, her eyes closed and her hand fell to the ground. 

"Jiu?" Sua called out her name worriedly as she saw her hand fell. She shook her body, but Jiu was not responding.

"No-no... Jiu. Wake up, please!" Sua begged for Jiu to wake up when Jiu didn't give any reaction.
.
.
.
.

"Wake up, Jiu!"
.
.
.
.

"Kim Minji!!!"

 


End Of Chapter 41.