The Breakup

Lovers Turned To Love Rivals

Jennie stared at the roof of her room as she was within her thoughts once again. It’s been a few days since her and Lisa’s date that night and she could tell that Lisa probably felt the difference too seeing that their texts to each other are barely even there anymore. Even though they are neighbors, Jennie can’t still catch a glimpse of a single strand of Lisa’s blonde hair. She thought of going to her house but decided against it until she could sort out the turmoil inside of her.

‘’Lisa…’’ Jennie thought, her feelings for her girlfriend are changing that’s for sure. She just doesn’t feel the spark anymore, the tingly feeling inside of her, the excitement of seeing and spending another day of her life with her, just basically everything a lover must feel if he or she loves someone so dearly.

‘’Okay,that’s it.’’ Jennie thought determined. She needs help, serious help. She needs advice of someone who knows both her and Lisa really well. She needs someone to listen to her. She can’t bottle this up on her own. Finally knowing what to do, Jennie pulled out her phone and dialed a familiar number.

‘’I hope she answers it.’’ Jennie bit her lip. It’s been a long time since they’ve hanged out together after all.... She sighed in relief when the ringing stopped and someone answered the call. 

‘’Hello?’’ A soft voice of a girl rang through Jennie’s ear. ''Hey...'' Jennie greeted. 

‘’Jennie? Why did you call?’’

Jennie fidgeted a bit in nervousness but answered the question.

‘’I need your help Jisoo.’’


‘’So you’re telling me that you kind of lost your feelings to Lisa?’’ Jisoo raised her eyebrows and sipped through her milk tea. Jennie sighed and slowly nodded her head ‘’I don’t know it just…went away?’’

Jisoo sighed while looking at her friend’s troubled face ‘’You know, we rarely hang out anymore so I don’t get to see your interactions with Lisa much.’’ Jennie flinched at that and felt bad for leaving their friend like that. It must be hard to be the third wheel when two of your friends are in a relationship…

‘’But from what you’re saying to me, it seems that you and Lisa are not that compatible as you both thought.’’ Jisoo explained. Jennie looked at her questioningly ‘’What do you mean?’’

Jisoo sipped through her straw and answered ‘’Well, both of you used to be best friends before becoming girlfriends right?’’ Jennie nodded ‘’Well, when you discovered your uality, you have to think of a girl whom you are closest to and being a new lesbian and all, your mind will become attached to that girl, making you think that you have a crush on her.’’ Jisoo studied Jennie’s features carefully ‘’And apparently, that girl is Lisa.’’

‘’So you’re saying that, I don’t love Lisa just as I thought?’’ Jisoo shrugged ‘’Maybe? Well when you are new to being gay means that you are observing girls much better right?’’ Jennie nodded ‘’Since Lisa is your closest friend, of course you observe her much closer than the others.’’ Jisoo explained ‘’Tell me, do you admire Lisa?’’

Jennie immediately said yes ‘’Of course I do! She’s my best friend, why wouldn’t I admire her?’’ And just like that Jennie widened her eyes in realization. Jisoo hummed ‘’Just as I thought, it’s possible that you’ve mistaken your admiration to Lisa as you falling in love with her.’’

‘’But…I don’t understand..I thought that…’’ Jennie rambled. Jisoo stood up and patted Jennie on her back. ‘’Shhhh…it’s okay Jen.’’ Jisoo comforted her friend. Jennie blinked and a tear made its way down to her face. ‘’I can’t believe that I used my best friend like that…’’

‘’Jennie you got it wrong.’’ Jisoo said ‘’You didn’t use Lisa, you love her right?’’ Jennie nodded ‘’But…as your best friend’’ Jisoo continued ‘’And you were just being new and went for it.’’

Jennie can’t help but accept the fact that she really didn’t love Lisa as much as she thought she is. ‘’Love is really complicated.’’ Though she can see Jisoo’s point. Sometimes when she and Lisa interact, it has that best friend vibes all around it…even when they were official, nothing really changed except that they kiss since they are lovers. Maybe she was just experimenting? Liking the thought of kissing a girl? Of course since Jennie is a new lesbian, she loves that thought very much especially if it’s the one she loves. Jennie felt guilty that she made Lisa feel she is very much in love with her but apparently, she doesn’t. ‘’And I’m sure Lisa probably felt it too that’s why the past few weeks has been different for both of us….’’

Jennie sniffed ‘’Do you think that…Lisa and I could go back being best friends like before?’’

Jisoo was silent for a moment ‘’Well I can’t say that for sure but…I think you should give each other some space. After all, I think I know what you are going to do next.’’

Jennie sighed ‘’Yeah…you probably know it.’’ She looked on Jisoo’s eyes with regret ‘’I’m sorry we’ve been neglecting you…’’

Jisoo chuckled ‘’Aish, stop with that dramaness. I think I have enough of that for today.’’ She joked but smiled ‘’It’s okay Jendeukie. I understand’’

Jennie laughed lightly ‘’Wow, that feels different coming from you. I usually hear that from Lisa.’’

Jisoo scoffed ‘’I still don’t forgive that daredevil for stealing my created nickname for you. I worked hard on that!’’ She pouted. Jennie chuckled ‘’Sometimes you act more like a maknae than Lisa’’ She teased the older girl.

‘’Yah! How dare you compare me with that elephant!’’ Jennie laughed out loud. God she missed Jisoo’s presence. Actually, she missed the three of them hanging out together. ‘’Maybe I should lay off from relationships for now. I wanna enjoy my whole highschool life with them.’’

‘’Jendeukie! Jendeukie!!!’’ Jisoo called her while waving a hand to her friend’s face ‘’Aish, maybe this is why Lisa gets annoyed when you’re deep in thought.’’ Jisoo mumbled.

 ‘’I heard that.’’ Jennie rolled her eyes ‘’Anyways, how do you know those kinds of stuffs anyway?’’ Jennie observed her.

‘’I just read a tons of books.’’

‘’Whoah, I knew you are a reader but I never thought you read a book about newbie lesbians experiences’’ Jennie ‘’Got someone you’re interested to Jisoo-unnie?’’

Jisoo turned pink for a bit ‘'Yah! Stop with the judgement Jendeukie!’’ Jennie raised her eyebrows at her amusingly ‘’Ugh! I was just curious okay?’’ Jisoo continued to defend herself but still Jennie looks her with amusement while giggling slightly ‘’Wipe that look off of your face or else I’m leaving you here.’’

Jennie tried to compose her face but seeing Jisoo’s serious face and the situation at hand, she suddenly laughed making Jisoo glare at her and huff before getting her bag and leaving while mumbling ‘’People nowadays…’’

Jennie stopped laughing when she realized Jisoo left her but still she was still chuckling ‘’Jisoo-unnie never fails to make me laugh, especially when both her and Lisa are together.’’ She smiled remembering those fun times with her two best friends. God they’ve been neglecting Jisoo for too long, she needs to find a way to make it up for her

‘’Uhm, Ma’am? Are you going to pay for you and your friend’s drinks?’’ A waiter came up to her with a bill on his hand. Jennie’s eyebrows twitched.

Or maybe not


Jennie fidgeted her fingers nervously, holding her phone and Lisa’s number on it, her thumb hovering over the call button. It was now night and after talking with Jisoo earlier, she knows what she has to do now. She sighed and plopped back to her bed. She’s been pacing around her room for the past hour, just can’t bring herself to call Lisa. ‘’Ugh, damn it Jennie just ing call her.’’

Just then a knock on her door made its presence known and Jennie sighed ‘’Mom! You can just come in you know.’’

No answer. Jennie furrowed her eyebrows and slowly made her way to her door. Another knock and Jennie opened the door with an exasperated look ‘’Mom, I said you can come i-‘’ Her sentence didn’t finish as she was shocked to see her distant girlfriend at the front of her door. ‘’Lisa..?’’ What was she doing here? Earlier she was pacing around in calling her girlfriend, and then suddenly she was here in her house?

Lisa fidgeted her feet nervously, so unlike her usual confident self ‘’Hey…’’ She spoke softly. ‘’Can we talk?’’ Jennie couldn’t find her voice due to the sudden appearance of Lisa, so she nodded in agreement, gesturing her to come in and close the door for some privacy.

Lisa sat at Jennie’s bedroom and looking around. She saw some childhood pictures of her and Jennie which made her smile a bit and felt a bit nostalgic. ‘’I really miss Jennie as my best friend…’’ She looked at the nervous-looking Jennie, though it was obvious Jennie was hiding her nervousness, Lisa knew it just from the way she acts and of course, years of being friends and neighbors with her.

Next thing she saw next to their picture, is another picture of her, Jennie and Jisoo together smiling brightly. Lisa smiled and immediately miss her other best friend aside from Jennie ‘’I got to thank her again for listening to my problems.’’ Yes, just like Jennie, Lisa also talked to Jisoo about her relationship with Jennie. Although Lisa didn’t know that Jennie talked to Jisoo, the oldest really cared for the two of them and gave them her honest thoughts.

‘’So, are we going to talk or you’re just going to stare at the pictures all day?’’ Jennie finally broke the silence between them with raised eyebrows. Lisa snapped out of her trance and retorted back ‘’Sh-shut up! It’s been a while since I’ve came to your room after all..’’

Jennie chuckled at her and smiled fondly, sitting beside her ‘’So, what do you want to talk about?’’ She spoke softly so that Lisa can get comfortable.

Lisa exhaled and turned to look at her Jennie’s eyes with her own. Seriousness started blooming around the room, both of their hearts beating fast because of what they are probably going to talk about.

‘’Please don’t get mad of what I will probably say, and also, please don’t ever leave my side because you are still one of the most important person to me and of course I love you so much Jen I do! I promise! Just it’s just that.’’ Lisa rambled and a shush from Jennie stopped her ‘’Lisa…I think I understand.’’ Jennie smiled softly and her eyes started to get a bit watery of what will happen right now.

‘’It changed right?’’Jennie said while Lisa tilted her head ‘’Your feelings…’’ Lisa’s eyes widened and was about to explain again but Jennie continued ‘’My feelings…’’ Shock became apparent to the blonde haired girl, not expecting Jennie to include her own feelings as well. ''It means that she is also going through what I've been going through...''

 ‘’Our feelings…’’ Jennie finished and closed her eyes ‘’They’ve changed aren’t they?’’

Lisa sighed while Jennie looked at her expectantly. ‘’Yes…they’ve did.’’ The maknae whispered. That alone made the weight on Lisa’s shoulder disappear, as well as Jennie’s. ‘’So I guess I’m not the only one then?’’ Lisa asked her. ‘’Yeah…you’re not the only one.’’ Jennie whispered.

Silence consumed them once more, their answers to each other probably dawning on them, now, only one of them just need to say those three words.

‘’I missed you.’’ Lisa started ‘’I missed us…I missed Jisoo…I missed our little group hangouts.’’ Jennie laughed remembering their moments as a group ‘’Me too…Actually, I talked to Jisoo about this.’’ She shared

‘’Whoah! You too?!’’ Lisa expressed while Jennie raised one eyebrow ‘’What do you mean ‘you too’? Did you also talk to Jisoo?’’ The cat-eyed girl asked. Lisa nodded ‘’Yeah! Yeah I talked to her before gathering up my courage to come here. She really boosted up my confidence’’ She laugh nervously ‘’Well, if you consider threatening to dye my hair black as a confidence boost…I’ll take it...for my pride’’ Lisa thought. Jennie rolled her eyes ‘’Confidence boost my she threatened you right?’’

Lisa flushed a bit, and just like that, her pride went out of the window ‘’S-shut up!’’ Jennie laugh lightly ‘’Well, at least she only threatened you, she made me pay her drink! God, I swear I’m going to get back at her for leaving me and paying for those drinks.’’ She mumbled.

Lisa laughed loudly ‘’Yeah that’s Jisoo alright!’’ Both of them laugh and if Jisoo probably heard both of them right now, she would probably throw a fit.

‘’So…’’ Lisa asked with a small grin. Jennie returned it with her own and finally said those three words that will lift the turmoil inside of them and both desperately hoped that everything will be okay after this.

‘’Let’s break up.’’