Melody is a Good Girl

Escape The Past

Chapter 5

Melody is a Good Girl

 

 

Previously:

 

Jaejoong thought of how much debt he still have to pay and felt down even more thinking of the lost job and the amazing salary he was offered here knowing it was never going to be his. 

 

'Who cares... I have Melody and she is more important than all these stupid jobs and their stupid money... I can work it out... yes Jaejoong you can do it … fighting' 

 

He nodded encouraging himself before the elevator door dinged and opened letting the beautiful man out and out of the building. 

 

********************************* 

 

 

"So what? The interview was a disaster... forget about it and look for another one, you can take my car tomorrow if you want" 

 

Changmin said patting his friend's shoulder. 

 

"I don't need it Minnie.... the next interview is in the small company at the end of the street... but thank you for being my best friend...mmm I love you Minnie" 

 

Jaejoong said hugging his dongsang tightly showing him his gratitude feeling the other pat his back gently. 

 

"Besides, it's near Melody's school and it's a small homey company not like the Jung internationals" 

 

Jaejoong said smiling to Changmin who nodded to him and gave him the thumbs up. 

 

"But..." 

 

Jaejoong suddenly felt down again looking at his lap. 

 

"All that money Changmin-ah... and a car...." 

 

"Hyung, don't forget that Jung Yunho comes with that money...." 

 

"I know... I know... I'm willing to endure it if It would help me give Melody a better life.... I want to give her everything" 

 

"Uh Jaejoong Hyung, anyone can see that Melody is one of the luckiest kids on earth to have you as her mother... Money doesn't buy happiness..." 

 

"oh Changmin-ah.... you are amazing!" 

 

"Tell Yeonhee that!" 

 

Changmin huffed rolling his eyes. 

 

"I thought you were going to meet and tell her how you feel" 

 

"Well, She had a late shooting and I was busy so... No we didn't" 

 

"Ugh... she doesn't know how lucky she is...." 

 

Jaejoong said taking the last sip of his coffee. 

 

"She knows that I'm always there for her, I guess she is taking me for granted... I can't sit and wait for her forever... she needs to take a decision..." 

 

"She needs a wakeup call... I know she loves you Minnie.... but you have to be patient... she is trying to build a career... dating a model isn't easy..." 

 

"I am patient... but I need to know where we stand from here...." 

 

Jaejoong nodded standing up. 

 

"It will work out don't worry... I'm sorry, I got to run... Melody will be out of school in a few... If you feel like talking you can always come over and I would make you something yummy..." 

 

Changmin grinned and nodded to his hyung walking him to the door. 

 

"I will hyung.... Take care and give Melody kisses from Uncle Minmin" 

 

"Will do" 

Jaejoong chuckled before walking fast down the street. 

 

Melody's school was a 5 minute walk from Changmin's house, he still have time yet he always wants to be there before Melody comes out. 

 

Jaejoong stood at the gate watching the kids swarming out of the gates when he found his little girl standing in the front yard looking around searching until their eyes met. 

 

"Ummaaaaaa!!" 

 

Melody squeaked, her eyes twinkling, running into her mother's arms. 

 

"Hey sweetie... how was school today?" 

 

Jaejoong asked standing up holding his daughter's tiny hands as they started walking home. 

 

"It was great! The teacher chose me to be the Angel for the Christmas play! I'll wear a white dress with wings!" 

 

"Oh honey! That's great!" 

 

 Jaejoong smiled watching his daughter excitement, skipping and jumping happily. 

 

"Mrs. Han chose me, she said she trusts me to a be smart and know my role in the play!" 

 

"Of course, my girl is the smartest and sweetest of all!" 

 

Jaejoong said making the little girl squeal and jump more as she continued blabbering about what she did in school filling the 10 minutes' walk towards what they called home. 

 

Standing in front of the shabby building they live in, Jaejoong sighed looking at the dull dirty street, he couldn't afford but a small condo in this street, where he fought to keep it suitable enough for living. 

 

“Umma, what’s for lunch? I’m hungry...” 

 

Melody asked as they passed by the door of the building owner, Mrs. Moon, before climbing the stairs towards their condo door. 

 

“We will see when we reach home...” 

 

Jaejoong answered fetching out his keys, opening the door. 

 

“Weeee Are Hooome!” 

 

Melody sang happily taking off her shoes messily then running towards her room. 

 

“Be careful baby, I’d be very sad if my little melody tripped and hurt herself...” 

 

Jaejoong said giggling feeling the joy of his daughter contagious. 

 

“Deh Umma....” 

 

Melody slowed down before going in their bedroom making her mother smile. 

 

“Such a sweet girl...” 

 

Jaejoong whispered taking his Jacket and shoes off before putting his and his daughters into the shoes cabinet. 

 

He walked inside the small living room, it didn’t look as bad as they first lived here though the trails of mold and cracking are still visible but he worked hard to make it good enough for him and his daughter. 

 

“Umma.... I put my things in my room... can we eat now?” 

 

Melody appeared at the door of their room. 

 

“Oh my sweet cupcake...” 

 

Jaejoong said in a motherly cute tone as he walked towards his daughter and picked her up in his arms making her giggle in joy. 

 

“Ummaaaa I’m not a cupcake!” 

 

“Yes, you are... you’re my little cupcake” 

 

Jaejoong smiled hugging his daughter smelling her hair in content as he walked to the kitchen. 

 

“Let’s see...” 

 

He put Melody down before opening the fridge to see what they have. 

 

“Let’s make some Omurice!” 

 

“Yaaay! Omurice!!” 

 

Melody squealed jumping around as her umma pulled the eggs, vegetables and minced meat from the fridge.  

 

“Umma... I want to help!” 

 

“Ok, come here...” 

 

Jaejoong opened his arms, to where his daughter ran immediately. 

 

“U will sit here on the counter next to me and help me wash the vegetables... but no jumping or standing alright... I don’t want my cupcake to fall...” 

 

“Deh Ummaa...” 

 

Melody smiled wide as her mother sat her on the counter where she rubbed the vegetables clean under the tap water. 

 

“Good girl...” 

 

Jaejoong smiled standing near his daughter, setting the rice cooker to start. 

 

“So... What did you do tod-” 

 

Jaejoong turned towards his daughter whom is supposed to be washing the vegetables to find her munching happily on a red bell pepper. 

 

“Are you that hungry, baby?” 

 

Jaejoong asked, seeing her nod, feeling guilty for not having food ready when she is starving. 

 

“Didn’t you eat your sandwich at school break?” 

 

 Jaejoong asked pulling the pan out to start cooking. 

 

“I gave it to Minho...” 

 

Melody said wiping with her hands after finishing, then smiling wide to her surprised mother. 

 

“Minho? Who is he? And why did you give your food to him?” 

 

Jaejoong asked not liking that his daughter hasn’t eaten since morning. 

 

“Minho is my friend, he moved here not long ago... I really feel bad for him... his mother hates him and she doesn’t give him food for school... he said that she is not his real mother and that she is nice to him only when his appa is around... She is mean!” 

 

Melody said with a frown folding her arms on her chest in protest. 

 

 “Oh baby-ah... you are so kind... Such a great friend... I’m glad that you helped your friend but that way you would be without food, you should have shared it with him, I don’t want you to be hungry too...” 

 

Jaejoong walked to his daughter feeling his heart tightens. 

 

“But Umma... Minho hadn’t had dinner last night because his dad was out of town... he was so hungry...” 

 

Melody said sadly rising her torso towards her mother for a hug. 

 

“Oh poor boy...” 

 

Jaejoong said hugging his little one in his arms. 

 

“I have an idea... I’ll pack you more food to school, so both you can have enough to share.” 

 

“Umma! I love you!” 

 

Melody chanted happily jumping in her mother’s arms before she hugged her tight. 

 

“Baby-ah...?” 

 

Jaejoong hugged her daughter tightly feeling her need for him. 

 

“I’m happy you are my Umma... you are the best Umma ever... I wish Minho’s Umma was nice... I love you Umma...” 

 

Melody said in a low tone, apparently this new friend of her is having a really hard time that it’s affecting his daughter. 

 

‘I need to talk to the school teacher tomorrow...’ 

 

He thought. 

 

“Baby-ah... I love you so much... I only have you in my life... I work hard so I can give you everything, I don’t want to see you sad, It hurts Umma to see you sad... do you want Umma to be sad? Hm?” 

 

Jaejoong said his daughter’s soft hair gently feeling her shake her head. 

 

“Saranghae Umma...” 

 

Melody looked up at her mother with a smile then pecked his cheek surprising him before a fit of giggled was heard. 

 

“You little sneaky girl... you will pay for surprising Umma... I’ll eat you up!” 

 

“Nooo” 

 

Laughter filled the kitchen as Jaejoong attacked his little girl with kisses and tickles. 

 

“I’m Still hungry Umma” 

 

Melody said as she got her breaths back still in her mother’s arms. 

 

“ooh my baby is still hungry ha? Let’s start making food then... and guess what?” 

 

Jaejoong said as he put Melody down on the floor. 

 

“What?” 

 

“Because you are a good and a kind girl who helps her friends, I’ll make you a treat after lunch... What do you say?” 

 

“Yaaaaaay.. Umma is the best!” 

 

Melody squealed dancing around the kitchen happily making the other chuckle at her cuteness. 

 

“Go play until I finish... Ok?” 

 

“deh Umma!” 

 

Melody dashed out of the kitchen leaving the other to cook peacefully.