Umma, don’t leave me alone

Escape The Past

Umma, don’t leave me alone 

 

 

Previously:

 

 

“I said, Let me go...” 

 

Jaejoong tried forcefully to free himself, but the larger man pushed him to the wall nearby trapping his arms above his shoulders facing him with a scary face. 

 

“Cut It! Or I’ll make sure you won’t see your daughter again...” 

 

Those words got him to stay still as his face paled. 

 

‘What should I do... What should I do... Please God...’ 

 

Jaejoong prayed, swallowing hard seeing these men look at him with hungry eyes. 

 

************** 

 

'I can’t let them get their way... I need to find a way... I need to escape! Fast! Think Jaejoong! Think!' 

 

Jaejoong’s head was racing trying to find a way to escape this trap, his feet felt numb and his heart was beating fast, seeing these men smirk at him. 

 

“Let’s go...” 

 

One of them held his shoulder pulling him forward. 

 

Pushing the hand away from him, Jaejoong quickly turned trying to run, but the man who was grabbing him reached him again, pushing him hard against the wall making him whimper and look up in horror.  

 

“What’s going on here?” 

 

A stern voice appeared behind them causing them to look back, to find a tall muscular man with a frown at his face. 

 

“Jaejoong-ssi... is everything alright?” 

 

Jaejoong was terrified, but seeing his neighbor there gave him some courage. 

 

“He is alright... what’s that got to do with you?” 

 

One of the men said annoyed. 

 

“I wasn’t asking you...” 

 

The taller man said looking at the other who talked, before pushing a side of his jacket back, putting his hand on his hip showing the police badge hanged on his belt... He could see those men flinch and change their attitude, but was concerned about his neighbor’s wellbeing seeing his state. 

  

“Jaejoong-ssi?” 

 

He asked again watching the man’s pale face, swallowing hard and nodding to him. 

 

“I... I’m alright Taecyeon-ssi... these men were just leaving... My Daughter is home alone, I have to get back to her...” 

 

Jaejoong said feeling the hold on his arm loosen. 

 

“We will be back soon... you know that...” 

 

One of the men whispered in his ear before they walked away leaving him alone under the cop’s watchful eyes... as soon as they disappeared in the elevator, Jaejoong let out a haggard breath, slipping into the ground feeling his knees give out.  

    

“Jaejoong-ssi! Are you ok?” 

 

Taecyeon didn’t wait for an answer seeing how pale he looked, he stood up walking a few feet away ringing his apartment doorbell, before heading back to his neighbor. 

 

“Tae-yah?” 

 

A young beautiful woman opened the door to find her husband crouching next to their pale neighbor. 

 

“Jaejoong-ssi! Is everything alright?!” 

 

She walked towards them palming the pale cheek gently. 

 

“I’m alright... I just need a moment...” 

 

Jaejoong whispered feeling dizzy... trying to breath deeper... the reality of what could have happened just now, scared him. 

 

“Are you sure? Do you need me to call an ambulance? You don’t look ok” 

 

“No, don’t worry... I have to get back to melody... I can’t leave her alone...” 

 

Jaejoong tried to stand up but he was still in daze. 

 

“Let me help you up...” 

 

The taller man said, supporting the other’s body with his own. 

 

“I’m so sorry for troubling you...” 

 

Jaejoong said as he tried to stand and walk on his own without the other’s help. 

 

“Are you sure you are alright?” 

 

Taecyeon asked as they stood in front of his neighbor’s apartment, as he entered the passcode to enter. 

 

“Ummaa! Ummaaaaaaaaaa!!!” 

 

Melody scream was heard, she was calling for him... She ran to him fast as soon as she saw him at the door, her tears flowing... she threw herself in his arms which immediately opened as he went down on his knees to catch her. 

 

“Umma, don’t leave me alone again... I’m scared...” 

 

Jaejoong heart broke hearing his daughter’s sobs, feeling like the worst mother ever... he felt his chest tighten as he held his daughter to his chest. 

 

“I’m sorry baby... I will never do that again... are you ok?” 

 

He cooed her wiping the fat tears on her cheeks carrying her in his arms. 

 

“Please come in...” 

 

He ushered to the couple standing behind him. 

 

“We don’t want to bother you, Jaejoong-ssi... but, I’d like to ask you of few questions if that is ok with you?” 

 

The taller man said and Jaejoong nodded to him knowing that the detective sure would like to know who these men were... walking inside, he sat melody on the floor near her toys, before ushering the couple to take a seat in the living room. 

 

“Would you like anything to drink?” 

 

“There is no need really...” 

 

Minyoung said with a gentle smile easing a smile on the paler man. 

 

“I’ll make some tea then, I made a lavender tea myself a couple of weeks ago... just a minute...” 

 

He smiled to them walking to the small kitchen. 

 

“Umma!” 

 

Melody yelled running after him. 

 

“Yes baby...” 

 

He said picking up 3 cups and a kettle to start the tea, feeling his little girl hugging his leg. 

 

“I want to stay with you...” 

 

She mumbled into his pants but he could understand what she said. 

 

“I’ll always be with you, little bear...” 

 

He said filling some water in the kettle to boil the tea... setting it up, he bent down and picked his daughter up into his arms, feeling her hug him tight. 

 

‘She must have been frightened when she woke up and not find me in the condo...’ 

 

Jaejoong thought hugging her to his chest rocking her gently as he set the tray. 

 

“Jaejoong-ssi... can I help you with anything?” 

 

Minyoung’s voice appeared at the kitchen door, watching the pale man set a plate of cookies on the tray while carrying his pouting daughter in his arms. 

 

“Thank you, Minyoung-ssi... can you please help me with the tray, I can’t trust carrying it with this sulking mess in my arms...” 

 

He smiled to her, as she nodded, taking the tray off his hands, walking towards the small living room. 

 

“You shouldn't have, Jaejoong-ssi...” 

 

Taecyeon said helping them with the tea cups smiling at the little girl eyeing the cookies. 

 

“Here you go sweetie... can you be a good girl and share these cookies with lily and Mr. Bear other there... I know you love having your tea party together...” 

 

Melody looked at him with a huge smile taking a few cookies in her hands before dashing to corner where her dolls were. 

 

“Please, go ahead...” 

 

He smiled at them as they started drinking the tea. 

 

“Jaejoong-ssi” 

 

Taecyeon said after a few minutes, eyeing the little girl in the corner, ushering his wife to watch over the little girl making sure she wasn’t paying them any attention... As soon as his wife joined the little girl, he turned to his neighbor with a serious face. 

 

“It may be rude of me to ask this, but who were those men earlier?... It’s alright if you don’t want to answer... But they seemed dangerous and if you are in any kind of trouble, I may be able to help...” 

 

Jaejoong sighed knowing that there is no need to hide it, after what happened today... he should seriously think of his and Melody’s safety. 

 

“It’s a long story... but my former husband was gambler, and I found out late... He borrowed a large sum of money from a loan shark and after he died, they are after me to pay...  I thought he was going to kill us... ... I don’t know why the man agreed to spare us and gave me a chance to work and pay them small payments every few months... maybe i looked too pathetic, begging him on my knees.."

 

“So, today they came to collect the money?” 

 

He asked and Jaejoong nodded not proud of telling the other his story. 

 

“Those gangsters are bullies, and today I was dragged forcefully by them out, and I'm really thankful you were there, Taecyeon-ssi... I can’t imagine what could have happened if...” 

 

Jaejoong said taking a deep breath before looking the detective in the eye nodding gratefully. 

 

“Thank you, Taecyeon-ssi, for your help today...” 

 

Taecyeon nodded to him before asking again. 

 

“Do they come in specific days? Or do they communicate with you before they come here...” 

 

“I talk to the loan shark, their boss... when I have enough money to pay him, he sends his men to get it... I talked to him today and I was aware that they are coming...” 

 

Taeyoung crossed his arms over his chest with a serious expression. 

 

“You should have called someone to stay today... you shouldn’t be alone especially around them...” 

 

Jaejoong took a sip of his unsweetened tea, before nodding tiredly at his neighbor. 

 

“I’m aware of that... I called my friend over to stay the night... he knows the situation and He never left me to deal with them on my own... but they came early today... usually they would come after 10 pm... and today was the first time they appeared at my door at such hour... my friend isn’t here yet... and that’s what happened...” 

 

“If you don’t mind me asking Jaejoong-ssi... how many payments do you still have to pay the debt...” 

 

“I thankfully got a new job which would help me pay this debt by the start of the next summer...” 

 

Taecyeon nodded looking at his cup in silence. 

 

“That’s good...” 

 

The detective sighed before looking at the other with a serious face. 

 

“Jaejoong-ssi... If that’s ok with you, I’d like you to inform me next time when you know they are coming... me and Minyoung will accompany you that day... and I’ll be there when they receive their money... that way we could make sure that today’s incident won’t repeat itself... do we have a deal?” 

 

Jaejoong looked at him surprised. 

 

“But... I don’t want to bother you with my problems, Taecyeon-ssi” 

 

“Don’t think too much of it, you can consider me a hyung living next door whom is willing to help.... until then Jaejoong-ssi... I’ll be leaving my card with you... if you need anything, don’t hesitate to call me anytime...” 

 

“Thank you Taecyeon-ssi... I really appreciate your help...” 

 

Jaejoong got up bowing to his neighbor gratefully, taking the white card the detective pulled out of his wallet. 

 

“You don’t have to...” 

 

The detective stood up patting the bowing man’s shoulder gently, giving him an assuring smile. 

  

“Minyoung-ah” 

 

He called smiling as he saw his wife giggling the with the little girl happily.  

 

“Deh!” 

 

Minyoung looked up at him standing up. 

 

“I need to go now sweetie, but we will have a tea party again so you can teach me how you make those cookies... deal?” 

 

They heard her say, seeing melody nodding happily back. 

 

“Thank you for the tea, Jaejoong-ssi... I’ll see you around...” 

 

She bowed to him walking with her husband who bowed his head to the pale man before walking to his apartment, making sure Jaejoong closed his door first before closing his. 

 

“Min-ah... When I’m at work, keep an eye on Jaejoong-ssi... if you noted anything unusual let me know immediately...” 

 

Minyoung nodded to her husband before asking: 

 

“What is the problem?” 

 

“Let’s say, some bad guys are trying to hurt him, seeing him an easy target that he’s alone... so keep an eye on them and call me if needed” 

 

Minyoung nodded to him, knowing her husband wouldn’t interfere in other’s business unless he deemed necessary, walking to the kitchen to prepare their dinner.