Unforgivable mistake

Escape The Past

Unforgivable mistake

 

 

 

 

Previously:

 

 

“I’ll make sure to send these reports before I leave...” 

 

He said walking out of the office, closing the door behind him...  

 

‘GoD! So embarrassing!... how am I going to face him again?’ 

 

Sitting at his desk, Jaejoong took a deep breath, stuffing the reports in their envelopes mindlessly... as soon as he finished, he took his coat and bag, passing by the other office to deliver the reports himself before walking out of the company, it was the first time he has left without greeting his boss.  

  

*************************** 

 

“Umma... It is snowing!! can we make a snowman today?” 

 

Melody asked jumping giddily in her car seat giving her mother the widest smile, making him smile back. 

 

“Of course, honey, we will make one before sunset, in the condo backyard... Ok?” 

 

“Yess!!!” 

 

Melody replied happily watching her mother park the car near their home. 

 

“I want to give Snowman my red scarf... can I, please!?” 

 

“We will see honey... let’s go inside, first...” 

 

********* 

 

Jaejoong sighed, his hands working on their dinner plates... the rest of the day was full of Melody’s activities, they made a snowman, played with the snow and cooked together... leaving her to play in their bedroom while he cleaned up. 

  

‘What should I do tomorrow? How will I face him?’ 

 

He sighed again, his eyes looking through the kitchen window, seeing the snowman they built earlier in the building backyard still standing, wearing the red scarf melody chose.   

 

‘I should act normal, as if nothing happened... yes... that what I should do... I should stop being stupid, acting like an immature teenager... I can’t afford to lose this job... at least not until I pay the debt to the gang...’  

 

Sighing again, Jaejoong heard the doorbell as he was drying his hands. 

 

‘Who is it? Changmin would call before coming over...’ 

 

Seeing a man in a suit, giving his back to the door, he frowned and opened the door. 

 

“Who-” 

 

His words stopped and his eyes widened when the man turned around. 

 

“Good evening, Jaejoong...” 

 

“Yu-Yunho?” 

 

“I’m sorry, I came to your door like this, but I've been trying to call you for a few hours, and you haven’t answered...” 

 

‘He has been calling me?  I didn’t check my phone? Why did he call?’ 

 

Jaejoong kept staring at the other in daze. 

 

“Can I come in?” 

 

“Huh?” 

 

Jaejoong woke up from his train of worries to see the other smiling at him, making him blush. 

 

“Yes... Yes of course...” 

 

Letting his boss in, Jaejoong followed him, ushering him to sit in the small living room. 

 

“Thank you...” 

 

Yunho said sitting on one of the armchairs. 

 

‘Why is he here? Is it because of what happened earlier? God, I look like a mess... ’ 

 

Jaejoong’s thoughts were all over, he wasn’t ready to face his boss after their last encounter... looking at his old house t shirt and pants.

 

“I’m sorry again, for coming to your place this late, but I needed to ask you about the financial report of the Lee deal... I added a couple of notes on it, but you didn’t send it back, I thought that you postponed working on it until tomorrow, but I looked for it on your desk, and I couldn’t find it...” 

 

Yunho asked seeing the other look back at him confused. 

 

“The Lee financial report? It was with the papers I gave you by the end of the day...”  

 

“Yes, I know... I wrote you a few notes to edit on it and gave it back to you with the rest of reports...” 

 

Jaejoong stared at his boss meeting his eyes, feeling that something bad had happened... he can see it in the other’s eyes though he was looking calm. 

 

“Are... are you sure, you gave it back to me?” 

  

Yunho nodded to him. 

 

“And you didn’t find it on my desk?” 

 

Seeing his boss nod to him again, Jaejoong felt his chest tighten, a wave of nausea attacked his throat. 

 

“I... I...” 

 

He stuttered; his voice low. 

 

“I... I didn’t see it!” 

 

“What do you mean, you didn’t see it...” 

 

Jaejoong was aware that his boss knew exactly what happened, his mistake was unforgivable... he was out of his mind when he put the mails in their respective envelopes to be sent out... he must have put the report in one of these envelopes...  

 

Taking a deep breath, he said: 

 

“I... I might have sent it in one of the envelopes... God! I’m so sorry, Yunho...”  

 

Jaejoong could see the disappointment in the other's eyes, making him look away, his hands gripping the rim of his t-shirt hard. 

 

“You don’t remember which envelope you put it in?” 

 

“I’m so sorry, Yunho... I really am... There is no excuse for this kind of mistake... I'll resign immediately!” 

 

Jaejoong kept bowing to his boss. 

 

“I don’t want you to resign, Jaejoong... I want you to think and tell me in which envelope did you send the God damn report!” 

 

Yunho said in a low tone though his tone was sharp. 

 

“I don’t know! It can be in any one...” 

 

“including the mail to the Choi’s and the Oh’s companies?” 

 

A nod from his assistant made him more upset 

 

“What happened, Jaejoong?” 

 

His tone sounded more and more disappointed as he kept his eyes on his devastated assistant, whom was looking at him in a broken expression, his doe eyes were red on the verge of tearing, his hand palming his trembling lips. 

 

‘What have I done?! What have I done?! How can I explain to him!... I was on the edge after falling into his arms, he made me feel things I’ve never felt before... not even with Kangin... I... I can’t... He can never know... I would never tell him... I’d rather die... I’d be- ’ 

 

“Umma?” 

 

Jaejoong’s bubble of thoughts burst when he heard his daughter’s voice, noticing how the almond sharp eyes shot up looking towards the door of the bedroom, where his daughter was standing. 

 

“Melody, are you done playing, baby? Can you put your toys back in place? I’ll be with you in a minute...” 

  

 Jaejoong said watching his daughter’s eyes meet the other’s. 

 

“I’ve already put them in place, Umma... Hello, I’m Kim Melody... What’s your name?” 

 

Turning to the other man, the little girl bowed introducing herself politely. 

 

“Hello Melody, I’m Jung Yunho...” 

 

“Oh, I know you... Umma works for you...” 

 

Melody said daring to step into the living room approaching their guest. 

 

“That’s right baby, How about you go get your bath ready...” 

 

Jaejoong didn’t know why, but he felt the need to keep his daughter hidden from his boss, seeing how soft his boss was looking at her, but his girl decided to ignore what he said. 

 

“We made a snowman today... would you like to see it?... We also have cake, if you like...” 

 

“I’d love to see your snowman... maybe you can show me after you take your bath...” 

 

Yunho replied gently smiling to this stunning smaller version of his assistant.   

 

“Deal!” 

 

The little girl said, smiling looking up at her mother whom smiled back at her nervously. 

 

“I don’t let Melody bath on her own...” 

 

Jaejoong said hoping the other would leave... he made a horrible mistake, but he can’t do anything about it now... he can do whatever he thinks fit to punish him tomorrow... but tonight he can’t face this man... not with his daughter around... not with his soft demeanor. 

 

“I can wait...” 

 

Yunho said sitting back in the arm chair. 

 

“But, you must be busy... I don’t want to do more harm...” 

 

“I said, I can wait... Jaejoong-ah... Take your time...” 

 

Yunho’s replied firmly. 

 

“Do you like cake? I can give you a piece if you want... me and Umma made it yesterday....” 

 

Melody said interrupting the adult’s talk feeling the air getting tense, making Yunho chuckle at her cuteness. 

 

“I love cake! That sounds great!” 

 

“I’ll give you a big piece then!” 

 

Melody said giggling, stepping nearer to his boss, both of them smiling at the other. 

 

‘Why do I feel left out... Ugh those two...’ 

 

Jaejoong thought, before he could think of what to say, words came out of his lips. 

 

“Have you eaten anything since lunch?” 

 

Yunho looked up meeting his heavy eyes. 

 

“No... Jaejoong-ah... I haven't...” 

 

Jaejoong felt chills run down his arms, seeing the same gentle smile was meant for him, hearing his boss repeat his name casually. 

 

“I have some... um... kimchijichae... but I can make you something else if you like...” 

 

“Kimchijichae sounds nice...” 

 

Jaejoong heard the other, watching how his attention went back to Melody whom stood near his leg smiling, and that feeling of the need to take his daughter away from his boss grew stronger. 

 

“Baby-ah, would you like to help Umma, prepare dinner for Yunho-ssi?” 

 

Jaejoong said softly, but Melody understood from his tone that it’s not a question, so she nodded to her mother. 

 

“I’ll make you some coffee too if you like...” 

 

Yunho nodded to his assistant his eyes still on the little girl. 

 

“Thank you Melody-yah, I can’t wait to see your snowman...” 

 

Yunho said getting a huge smile from the girl who followed her mother to the kitchen.