Third

Hands Up!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

SOOJUNG’S POV

 

“Soojungie~~! I’m gonna be late!” Aiiishhh… this kid…

 

“Yah! Its still early!”

 

“But Yeri might be waiting for me downstairs! I heard their door open!” hmm… I didn’t hear any door opening from the unit beside us…

 

I stood up from my seat after putting on my sneakers and took my 9mm Glock 17 on the coffee table, not forgetting to put it on lock before placing it on the holster attached on my belt. After adjusting it on my right side, I wore my brown blazer, took my car keys and just run my fingers on my short hair combing it before smiling to my cute niece, “There, do I look good now?”

 

“Soojungie, you always look good even if you forget to take a bath for 2 days.” (-_-’) Gosh. This punk even had the nerve to roll her eyes on me! You really are your Mother’s daughter!

 

“Hey… don’t say that honey… someone might hear you.” I took her back pack full of her daily essentials before opening our door and guiding her out. How can Dani say she heard the neighbor’s door opened earlier when I can still footsteps inside their unit? Anyways…

 

"But I'm just saying the truth..." Wow... My own niece roasting me.

 

“Let’s go Dani, I have to be at the Station for a meeting…” she took my hand and together we went to the elevator waiting for it to come. Still no sign of neighbor. Even yesterday there were no signs of her… actually just her voice. I heard her voice last night from their veranda, she was talking on the phone with someone when I was going to open our sliding door because I had the urge to drink again. I changed my mind and didn’t push through because I don’t want to break her privacy.

 

And we will meet later so… yeah… maybe much better to meet later at the Station.

 

Ding!

 

“Soojungie! You’re spacing out again! Let’s go!”

 

“Yes your Majesty… fine… please enter the carriage..” the two of us entered the elevator, Dani pushing the buttons when Grandma Nam came just in time and joined us. I noticed Dani waving her hands outside, almost going to be trapped by the closing door. Oh my god!

 

“DANI! YOUR HAND!”

 

“Sorry Soojungie…” she grinned at me and hugged my legs hiding her face. Grandma Nam told her not to do it again because its dangerous and her hands might get cut into two. Once we reached the ground floor, we said goodbye to Grandma and made our way to Luna’s center not forgetting to stop first at Ailee unnie’s Bread shop to buy her favourite bread.

 

Luna and I had been friends since Middle School, her family also has been living in this community ever since. She really loves kids that’s why she took up Early Childhood Education complete with Masteral Degree from Seoul National University. Then started this Child Development Center 4 years ago because this is what she has been dreaming of since we were in High School.

 

“Teacher Luna! Good morning!” Dani immediately greeted my friend who also serves as one of her Aunties in this small community of ours. Luna patted her hair with a jolly smile “Good morning to you too, Dani! How’s your morning?”

 

My niece held her chin then shook her head. “Not great. Soojungie didn’t made my Kimchi Fried Rice spicy.” hahaha… as if you can eat spicy food.

 

“Hey Luna… its your fault she wants Spicy Fried Rice. You shouldn’t let her taste your food…”

 

“She told me you allowed her.”

 

“Of course not! Here’s her bag my friend, take care of that little punk.” I gave Dani’s back pack to Luna and watch my niece run to her classmates to play. Her cute face beaming when she saw the kids and started their little chat. How time flies…

 

Luna patted my back while we watch the kids run around inside the padded room. “How are you Soojung? You should take a break from work have a vacation…”

 

“I’m fine Luna… I don’t know… maybe some other time. A vacation means spending money and being idle, although it will be a great time to spend with Dani but you know how demanding my duty is.” both of us sighed then let out a chuckle.

 

“See you later at Vic’s?”

 

“You bet. By the way, Taeyeon unnie will be here to pick her up later after class. Apparently, unnie promised Dani she’ll take her to the Mall and have a good time.”

 

“Taeyeon unnie really dotes on your niece…”

 

“And tomorrow its Yuri unnie’s turn.” I informed her and chuckled again.

 

“Daebak! Is it still on!? They are still competing for Sooyeon unnie’s affection!? How long has it been going on… since we were High School, right?” I nodded my head with a smile and gave her a hug.

 

“Yup, that long. I don’t know about those two… still wanting to get Sooyeon unnie after all these years that they have been placed on the Friends category. They have tons of suitors always ready to kiss their feet… male and female mind you. But its still Sooyeon unnie they want… its okay though, they treat Dani as their own daughter too and loves her unconditionally. She grew up knowing how kind those two dorks are.”

 

“Does she know? Taeyeon and Yuri unnie?” hehehe… yeah… she knows those two are vying for the coveted spot of being her Mommy Sooyeon’s beloved.

 

I took out a couple of Chupa chups from my blazer and gave one to Luna before unwrapping the strawberry flavor then putting it on my mouth. “Yup, she knows. That’s why that kid has been hanging out with those two because they always try to outshine each other, giving her everything she asks. I told them not to always do it because they are spoiling her but they said its also a way for them to help unnie and besides, who can't resist my adorable niece.” both of us nodded with lollipop in our mouths.

 

Taeyeon and Yuri. Yuri and Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon and Kwon Yuri.

 

Sooyeon unnie’s long time friends, her super duper close friends that until now are still doing everything to get unnie’s big Yes. They have been friends since forever… beautiful, talented, hard workers with their own source of income. Still singles though, rumored to had some boyfriends and ehem… girlfriends. But there is only one person in their hearts, JUNG SOOYEON. Hehehe…. They were there for us when we are going through a tough time, especially when Sooyeoon unnie got pregnant with Dani and Dad left us. They are my other older sisters that I trust with my life and my niece whom they consider as their own too.

 

Bestfriends for life. Rivals for Sooyeon’s heart.

 

I said goodbye to Luna and told her I’ll see her later at Vic’s Barbecue House for a round of drinking and eating. Walking back to the apartment building, I took out my car from the Basement Parking and made a trip first at Zero’s Car Repair Shop to have my tires check. Taeyeon unnie welcomed me in front of her shop wearing her gray overalls holding a monkey wrench, her nose with black grease.

 

“Detective Jung Soojung! Salute!” hahaha… funny… I gave her a merong once I got out of my car and pointed at her small nose. “Unnie, did you dip your nose again in the engines? You got grease on your nose!”

 

“!” she wiped it with the sleeve of her overalls and smiled cheerfully at me. “What can I do for you? Have you eaten breakfast?”

 

“Yeah, I already did before I took Dani to the Daycare. Don’t forget to pick her up later unnie… by the way, I need air for my tires hehehe… I think the tires at the right side are soft.” she took the tire hose on the side and pump some air on the tires I said then asked me. “Your sister… when is she going home? Its been 3 months since she left for Japan…”

 

“She texted me this morning, she said possibly next week. But you know her, she suddenly shows up in our unit at wee hours in the morning. Still busy… anyways, thanks Tae unnie! Here’s my payment…” I was going to get money from my pocket when she stopped me from doing so. “No… its okay. Don’t pay Soojungie… go, you’ll be late for work. And my gosh… stop that lollipop craze! You’re already 28 and still that candy!” I took out the candy from my mouth and smiled at her teasingly, “You just miss your Sooyeon and her fruity bubblegum balls she always gives you!~~ Bye! I have to stop by to Yuri unnie’s shop… thanks Unnie!” I gave her a flying kiss before putting back the lollipop in my mouth and entered my car, started it and waved goodbye to shorty while driving away.

 

My next stop is the small coffee shop owned by Yuri unnie near our Police Station. She serves the finest freshly brewed coffee and freshly squeezed juices in our area. I stopped in front of her shop where she’s already standing holding my order of Fresh Mango Juice in a tall To-Go cup.

 

“Good morning Yuri unnie!” I opened the window of my car and she leaned forward to it handing me my order with a wide smile and another paper bag. “What’s this?” I asked her in wonder.

 

“Yah! Eat that, I made that Chicken Sandwich for you. Extra cheese, no cucumbers, with lettuce and thin slices of tomato. Don’t forget to eat later or your sister will scold me for not taking care of you and Dani!” Awww~~ how sweet… (^__^) she snorted while putting her hands inside the pockets of her apron.

 

Always the caring unnies… I’m so touched… (T_T) ahuhuhuhu….

 

“Love you unnie! Don’t forget to pick up Dani, its your turn tomorrow!” I started the engine again while she chuckles “Of course I won’t forget it! Did Tae told you where she’s bringing her later?”

 

“Mall… how about you?”

 

“Lotte World hehehe…. keep safe Soojungie! By the way, when the hell is that Sooyeon coming back? I haven’t seen her for months! If she keeps on working like that her daughter will forget about her…” she said with a worried look on her face. At one time in Sooyeon unnie’s High School life, she did consider being in-love with Yuri unnie and Taeyeon unnie but was too conflicted because she’s afraid to lose them as friends. Besides, she’s a closeted Bi-ual back then hehehe… afraid that Dad will find out or else she’s doomed.

 

“Soon… just wait. That’s one good talent of yours Yuri unnie hehehe… bye!” I waved goodbye at her and drove off to the station, checking her in the side mirror and see waving back at me.

 

They are like family to me, same as the people I grew up with in this community at the back of the busy streets of Myeongdong shopping and tourist spots. The persons I trust the most that has always been there for me and my sister before, and now with Dani. That’s why I vowed to protect them too from harm.

 

When I arrived at the Station, I saw that there was a small commotion inside the building. Is there another suspect throwing his tantrums this early in the morning?! Sigh…. why do things like this always happen?

 

Getting outside my car with lollipop still in my mouth, I took the paper bag and Mango Juice before locking my door and proceeded to enter the now noisy building. There were officers blocking the entrance and I can hear the shouts of bargain from our side of the force. The officers saw me and gave me a salute, I nodded at ease and stopped beside them watching the drama unfolding.

 

“What is happening? Another drunk suspect in question?” I asked one officer.

 

“”Yes Detective, he suddenly went berserk and flipped Officer Kang’s table then grabbed that guy at the reception area as his hostage.” he pointed at the hostage taker and the person he is holding by the neck.

 

Gosh… the guy looks red.. I think he’s already choking…

 

“How many minutes has this been ongoing?”

 

“Around 10 minutes now Detective, he wants to escape but the Officers told us to block the doorway.”

 

Poor fellow… I can’t see his face clearly because he is looking down… he really looks choking now…

 

“Hold this…” I gave him my juice, paper bag then took out the lollipop from my mouth “This too… hold that. This will take a minute…” I smiled at the officer who suddenly turned crimson red nodding eagerly at me, took out my gun and called on the hostage taker who has his back on me.  

 

“Put the gun down Choi!”

 

“No!!”

 

“Put the gun down and let that person go.” I said in a clear voice but I think he didn’t even heard wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter