failures and success

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

It’s Tuesday morning. Hannah came home late last night after wrapping up the two-day filming for their up-coming Japanese single, and though she sleeps for a long time, she wakes up feeling almost as tired as when she went to bed. An hour after waking up and Hannah is lying in bed again, hugging the pillow under her head and staring at Jonghyun sleeping next to her. She hasn’t seen much of him these past few days since he came back from Singapore, since they both have been busy, but today is a day they can spend together. Though they have things to do.

Their bedroom is dark with the curtains covering the window and the only light comes from outside the bedroom’s door, which is surely standing open, but it is still dark in the room. Hannah is lying on her side, staring at her husband who dyed his hair blonde before he went to Singapore. She had asked for a picture when he dyed it, ending up receiving eleven pictures of his before, during and after. Tiger joins them on the bed, wanting to cuddle with Hannah’s back by lying on top of her. Hannah is watching her husband for a while, holding back the urge to touch his hair or to move closer, letting him get his sleep.

Hannah turns her head to reach for her phone when it vibrates, and she tries to hide the light from her phone when reading the text that she just got. Carolina is asking if Hannah wants to come over for brunch, or lunch later. Without answering the text, Hannah turns her head back around, just to start giggling to have Jonghyun out of nowhere suddenly be very close to her. His eyes are closed and his hand goes to Hannah’s back to try pet Tiger.

“Did I wake you?” Hannah whispers with a smile at the face in front of hers.

“Mm… what time is it?” he sweetly mumbles. Tiger rolls around to be petted on her stomach, almost falling off Hannah’s back.

“Almost nine,” Hannah answers in a whisper, observing his face in the dark room. “Slept well?”

“Mm… You smell good.”

She smiles at the simple comment. She showered before she went to bed, it is probably that he means. She keeps watching him for a few seconds, feeling how his hand is resting on her back and fingers lightly moving on their cat’s fur. It seems like he will go back to sleep. Lightly, Hannah gives Jonghyun a peck on the cheek.

“Carolina has invited us for brunch,” she mentions. “Do you want to go?”

He takes his time to answer. “Do I have to?” he then asks, groaning when stretching out his body on the bed. Hannah keeps hugging the pillow underneath her, pouting a bit.

“You don’t have to…” Hannah mumbles with a pout. She pouts even more when he blinks, looking at her.

“You want to go?” he wonders.

“Mm… I think so. Carolina wrote it will be a feast, and it would be nice to eat some homecooked food without doing it yourself,” Hannah explains. “But you don’t have to if you don’t want to. We can go to the gym together, I can go to the house, we can meet up at the agency afterwards.”

“Okay,” Jonghyun agrees.

Hannah nods, smiling at him. “How come you’re so pretty? I can’t stop looking at you.”

The muscles in his face twitches and she giggles when he rolls around to lie on his back and hide his face in his arm.

“There you go again,” Jonghyun mutter behind his arm, smiling. “Calling me pretty when you mean handsome.”

“I mean pretty.”

“You mean handsome.”

“You’re both,” Hannah says and smiles widely when he turns his head to look at her, “You’re pretty and handsome, honey.”

“Woah,” Jonghyun reacts with a scoff and he rolls back around to throw an arm around her, making Hannah giggle again though this time is because his face is right in front of hers. “I’m trying to be upset because you’re calling me pretty, but how come I can’t even be upset about it?”

She bites her lip, unable to stop smiling. “Because deep down you know you’re pretty?”

“Ya.”

Hannah laughs loudly, and Tiger runs off because of Jonghyun’s tone. Jonghyun gives out a groan and sits up.

“You’re impossible,” he comments. “Should we go to the gym soon? I suddenly feel ready to work out.”

She just laughs on the bed, having fun teasing him. Jonghyun reaches for a pillow to throw at her when he gets on his feet, muttering that she never learns the difference between pretty and handsome.

While getting ready to go to the gym, Jonghyun calls out to Hannah that he will come along to the house for brunch. A few seconds that he has called that out, Hannah pops her head out from outside the bathroom.

“You’ll come?” she happily asks.

Jonghyun laughs with the toothbrush in his mouth. “Does it make you that happy?” he wonders.

“Mm,” she gladly nods. “It makes me happy.”

Her head disappears and Jonghyun smiles at his mirror-reflection. He leans forward to spit out the toothpaste. “Nabi! You’ve totally fallen for me, haven’t you?!”

“Idiot!” she calls back from the kitchen and he laughs. Hannah is smiling too.

 

They get ready and head to the gym together. It’s rare they do this, go to the gym together, and they both enjoy it a lot. Hannah even takes a picture to share on SNS, of herself stretching in front of the mirror and Jonghyun drinking water behind her and she writes to the picture that it is quality time at the gym. One and a half hour at the gym before they head to the house for brunch.

They are almost talking in mouth at each other when getting out of the car outside the house. Hannah laughs when Jonghyun shuts the door and says he doesn’t want those two characters to end up together. They are talking about a drama they have been watching. Hannah watched a bit on the flight from the US and Jonghyun was watching the same episodes in Singapore, and now they have spent most of the car-ride talking about it. Turns out they have different opinions about the side-couple in the drama. While Hannah talks about how caring and thoughtful they are to each other, Jonghyun thinks they only show each other attention when they feel like it.

“It’s because they want the other one to notice,” Hannah explains while putting in the code to the gate. “It’s… pull drama.”

He scoffs behind her. “Push and pull,” he corrects her.

“Push and pull,” Hannah repeats. They step inside on the yard. “But I think it’s brilliant. It shows they are both stubborn and that they want the other one to notice their feelings without having to say the words I like you out loud. But at the same time, they can’t hide their feelings, therefore those sweet moments that I like.”

“You cringe when I do sweet things though,” Jonghyun comments.

She turns her head to frown at him, her expression asking what he is talking about. Jonghyun smirks and puts an arm around her shoulders.

“I cringe when you do cringe things,” Hannah ends up saying before she opens the door to the house Julia and Carolina lives in. “Hello!”

Dogs are barking and it smells like burnt bacon and bread inside. Jonghyun falls on his knees to attack Michin who is running up to them and Ryo comes running over with a loud bark as well. Someone answers from the kitchen, though it is hard to hear because of the dogs barking.

“Are they burning up the kitchen?” Hannah jokes to Jonghyun when taking her shoes off.

“It’s not too late to run away,” Jonghyun jokes back.

She gives him a smile as he follows her inside, to see what is being burnt. Hannah puts her hands behind her back when leaning around the corner to see the kitchen. Three people are in there, the kitchen fan is on full power and it seems like a lot of things has been burnt. The first one Hannah notices is Julia’s mother, who is trying to remain calm while hectically scolding the other two. Carolina and her boyfriend, Nathan, are both standing with aprons and expressions that shows they have been scolded for a while.

“How’s it going?” Hannah asks with a weird expression.

Waffles, toast, bacon, scrambled eggs, something else that might be eggs, different dishes and whatnot are a mess in the kitchen. every space is being used and the dining table is a mess as well.

“Magnae!” Carolina cheerfully turns around, just to grab Hannah’s arm to pull her over. “For how long do you boil eggs for? Julia’s mother says 12 minutes but I looked it up online and it said 15 minutes.”

Hannah looks confused by the easy task Carolina is confused over.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s 12 or 15, but you’ve been boiling them for 20 minutes,” Julia’s mother sighs tiredly.

“20 minutes?!” Hannah gasps and gapes at her friend. “You’ve been boiling eggs for 20 minutes?!”

“Yeah. I thought I’d wait until you gave me a better answer, since you’re good at boiling eggs.”

Hannah can’t stop grimacing from the pain in her heart from hearing this. “Between 8 to 12 minutes are good, depending on if you want hard cooked eggs or not. 20 minutes are… Gosh, Carolina, why are you even cooking?”

Standing by the dining table is Jonghyun, smiling from ear to ear after he has lowly greeted Nathan. Hannah is whining at her friend and though Julia’s mother is a much better cook than anyone of those in the kitchen, Carolina somehow wants Hannah’s opinion rather than Julia’s mother’s.

It turns out that Carolina and Nathan decided to make brunch for everyone, wanting to cook and they have even prepared recipes to make good dishes. But somehow, it seems they have been burning one thing after another – even eggs and toast are a difficult task for them. Julia’s mother has tried to help out but they want to handle it on their own and the problem is that they have tried to do every single thing at the same time, which is why the toast was forgotten and the next was forgotten and they forgot about the time because they were doing too much at once. Once Julia’s mother is explaining all of that, Hannah is just laughing and pitying them.

“I made soup because Emelia wants it,” Carolina is explaining to Jonghyun when showing him the things they have prepared. “And scrambled eggs because Hannah likes it. Have a taste!”

She grabs a fork to hand it to him, Nathan standing next to her to see Jonghyun pick up some of the scrambled eggs.

“We followed a recipe, but I added curry powder and red curry paste because it seems to match. What do you think?”

He has just opened his mouth when she says what she has added and Jonghyun hesitates. He turns his head away from Carolina and Nathan’s stare when putting the scrambled egg in his mouth. Spicy, the eggs have gotten cold and he isn’t sure if it is egg shells or something else he chews on. He still forces it down, turning back to see two heads eagerly waiting for him to say how it tastes.

“Hannah, have a taste of this,” Jonghyun offers in a loud voice and coughs from the taste. He tries to keep smiling when the taste is stuck on his tongue and he puts some of the scrambled eggs on the fork when Hannah steps up next to him. She looks doubtful when seeing how the scrambled eggs looks like and Julia’s mother is stomping away, shaking her head and saying they can order food to not get food poison.

Eyes are on Hannah when Jonghyun feeds her the scrambled eggs. She has just closed when she covers it with her hand to not cough it back out. Spicy. Jonghyun bites the inside of his cheeks to not burst out laughing for the pain she must feel. It wasn’t very spicy for Jonghyun, it was just the mix of flavours making it spicy and taste weird, and he knows Hannah isn’t good with spices at all.

“Is it good?” Carolina asks.

Jonghyun is impressed by the couple. Neither sees how Hannah can’t even shew the food behind her hand while Jonghyun sees how she is even tearing up.

Hannah turns around to cough.

“I think we should order food instead,” Jonghyun tells the couple, smiling widely at them.

“Why? Is it not good?” Carolina asks, dumbfounded and she walks around to see Hannah’s face. “What’s wrong with it? I didn’t cook it for too long, I followed the recipe.”

Hannah waves her hand to her face, trying to swallow the food and then pats Carolina on the shoulder, trying to find a way to talk. “Have you tried it?”

“Yes!” Carolina bursts out. Her eyes are big, not understanding what is wrong.

Nathan is smiling widely to Jonghyun. “It’s spicy, isn’t it?” he asks. “I told her we added too much red curry paste.”

Hannah gives out a loud cough when turning around.

“It’s red curry paste?!” she gasps and then turns back to Carolina to hit her on the arm. “Why didn’t you ask Julia’s mom to help you? You should’ve asked for help when you don’t know how to cook. Boiling eggs is the easiest thing, stop making me worry that you’ll burn up the place.”

She is whining again and Carolina looks sad by it. Jonghyun looks up at Nathan, who looks like he is realising they have messed up their planned brunch by now.

“Sorry,” Carolina starts whining too, embracing Hannah for a hug, “I wanted to do well and it was fun to cook but I completely messed up, didn’t I?”

It is a mess. They help to clean up while Julia’s mother orders food. Jonghyun helps her to order after he has gone to the other house to see what they want. Julia is out with some friends for lunch but both Emelia and Maria are going to eat brunch with the others. Maria says she will be in bed until the food arrives, watching drama and sleeping.

Hannah washes her hair after doing some cleaning in the kitchen, waiting for the food to arrive as well. Jonghyun is in the bathroom with her, talking about how fun Carolina and Nathan are and he is sitting on the toilet seat, watching her brush and dry her hair.

“Do you miss living here?” Jonghyun asks her.

Hannah bites her lip when thinking of it. “I don’t know… It’s fun when I come over like this, because there is always something going on. … I might miss it, I guess. But it’s nice that we have our own place. Don’t you think so? Do you miss living with the guys?”

“Mm,” Jonghyun answers with a nod, distantly looking at her. “I think the same. It’s nice to have a place of our own.”

She turns off the hairdryer and checks her hair in the mirror to not look like bird’s nest. “It’s okay though, coming here?” she wonders.

Jonghyun is resting his arm on the sink, watching her. “What do you mean?”

“You didn’t want to come at first,” Hannah remembers. She puts the hairdryer in the cabinet. “It isn’t that bad, is it? We can leave earlier if you want.”

She turns back around when she is done putting everything away, and she sees the soft smile on his face that makes her smile back at him. Jonghyun looks distant, but his eyes are focused on her. Hannah steps up to him, taking her fingers through his hair to lightly tilts his head back, pouting down at her husband.

“You okay?” she asks in a low voice.

“Mm,” Jonghyun hums in response. He closes his eyes for a bit and Hannah keeps taking her fingers through his hair. “I just thought … that I’m a lucky man, to have you as my wife.”

With a light scoff, she puts her hands on his face to peck him on the lips. “Let me know if you want to leave earlier. I don’t mind.”

She lets go of him to go back out, when Jonghyun reaches for her hand to pull her back.

“Let’s stay a bit longer,” he suggests.

“You want to stay a bit longer in the bathroom?” Hannah asks, making fun of him. Jonghyun gives out a hum in response and puts her arms around him so he can put his around her waist. Since he is sitting down, he hugs his head lightly against her body. Hannah is pouting, caressing his back slightly. “… They will think we’re doing inappropriate things if we’re in here for too long.”

“Do you want to go out?” he mumbles.

“Let’s stay,” Hannah whispers, taking her fingertips to touch his hair. “When you want to step outside, we’ll leave.”

“If I want to stay in here for an hour then?”

“Then we can stay in here for an hour.”

Jonghyun sighs, hugging her a bit tighter. “Did you know? The words I love you can be expressed without using those exact words.”

“Really?” she lowly says.

“Mm… By telling someone to drive safely, or to be careful during a walk, to eat properly… or by staying by their side despite wanting to do other things,” Jonghyun mumbles. It is the same they talked about earlier when leaving the car, how to express those three words through actions and other caring words.

“I know,” Hannah softly says with a smile. “Why are you thinking of it now?”

“Because you’re staying in here even though you want to be with the ladies,” he mumbles. “It made me think of it.”

Hannah ruffles his hair a bit before she fixes it again. “I married you to stay by your side, didn’t I?” she says before giving off a sound that it makes her cringle. Jonghyun chuckles too, saying that’s true.

When he is ready, he gets on his feet to follow her out of the bathroom. Emelia is in the living-room, giving them a glance, probably having a thought of what they were doing.

When the food arrives, everyone gathers in the house that smells burnt. Maria can’t stop complaining about it, asking how not even Nathan can cook the simple things like bacon and boil eggs and that it is dreadful how they ruined all that food. Carolina is positive, even after getting complains from everyone and she has been scolded, she says they can try again another day. Julia’s mother says they are not allowed to use this kitchen, and Emelia is quick to say the other house is off limit for Carolina if she wan

Please log in to read the full chapter