warming up

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sukmin is taking his new job seriously. Or that is what he says when he is filming himself through the mirror, capturing the rest of the room as well. They are back in the practice room backstage for Dream Concert, only this time, they are with the Musketeers. Since he isn’t a dancer for them, he has taken up the job to be a camera-man, saying his focus has been Hannah but he actually went by to film on his own earlier as he got bored filming the rehearsals. So Emelia will get some footage of Sukmin filming feet and talking alien language with Suho and some others. But now, he films the Musketeers getting ready in the mirror-reflection, as they realised during rehearsal that they need to go through the steps a bit more.

Taemin walks up next to Sukmin to see what he is filming and holds up two fingers in a simple pose when seeing it is the mirror-reflection.

“Hyung is filming all day,” Taemin comments, glancing behind at the others. Sukmin nods.

“I’m filming for Hannah.”

“Film something fun instead,” Taemin jokes and Sukmin laughs with him.

“I did, earlier,” Sukmin jokes with him. Taemin had seen Sukmin film with some of the EXO members earlier, that’s what he means.

Sukmin continues with the joke by zooming in on the others when they are practicing. He zooms in on Hannah too but spends extra time filming the others just because Taemin said what he said. Sukmin also captures when Seventeen members show up by the door, apologizing as they had wanted to come in and practice as well, before seeing the room is used by their seniors. Sukmin steps over to Kai after that, asking what is going on. Kai, adorable as always, smiles as if he is blushing to have the camera up in his face all of a sudden, but before he can answer, Taemin comes up next to him and wraps his arm friendly around Kai.

“Our leader just solved the practice issue,” Taemin gladly lets Sukmin know and points over at the door that is wide open. Hannah nodding to someone outside as they just finished up a deal.

“Another group wanted to practice, but they ran away at the sight of us in here,” Kai continues, doing well by not revealing the name of the group, though if Emelia decides to show who earlier looked inside by the door, they will spot it is Seventeen.

“Yeah,” Taemin nods. They both get quiet waiting for the other to keep explaining but when neither keeps talking, Sukmin asks how their leader solved it. “Hannah ran after them and set a time deal so now we are done practicing, and the other group can enter. Simple.”

“She was quick though,” Kai says, they start moving to leave and Sukmin films down on Taemin’s legs (accidentally his , which he laughs about, but focuses further down on Taemin’s legs).

“I’m impressed,” Sukmin’s voice is heard on the camera as he follows them all, talking about Hannah being quick as the leader.

He takes his time going back to the dressing-room, waving see-you-later to Taemin and Ana going inside another dressing-room and then heading straight over to the sofa where Hannah has sat down in her room. He stands right in front of her and smiles as he focuses on filming her face, waiting a few seconds after she has asked why he is filming so close before he takes a step back.

“Isn’t it lonely being in here?” he asks her.

“No. It’s crowded everywhere else,” Hannah answers and holds up her phone to show him a text, holding it next to the camera for it to not be caught. He chuckles and takes her phone to see the conversation. Hannah has received a picture from Julia, who right now is in the US to film her music video. He forgets about filming her and puts down the camera to instead start talking about the crew in the US.

The reason Hannah only has six dancers and not eight today is because the rest are with Julia. As Hannah talks to Sukmin about the picture and what Julia has written about the trip so far, Myung joins in saying he has been in touch with those over there as well. It’s nice to just sit and talk, forgetting time and being interrupted when it is time to get ready with hair and makeup.

The conversations go on, and soon enough the concert begins and Hannah is all dressed up while waiting for the ending to reach so she can get on stage. She went by EXO’s room for a while before she again is sitting in the sofa in her own room, talking with her crew and doing her best to not get overly nervous about performing.

Dressed and ready for the stage, Hannah is standing in the corridor with a smile as she is watching the members of EXO walking back and forth. The end of the concert is nearing and while EXO is told to head to the stage, only Xuimin has actually walked there. The others seems to forget things, running back to the dressing-room or going back to tell the others to hurry up. Hannah watches them with a smile, giving Chanyeol a laugh who looks completely lost when passing her and Suho is standing by the dressing-room calling for him to hurry up as the leader thinks Chanyeol is still in the dressing-room. It’s hilarious to witness the confusion and members not knowing where they are going. Chanyeol points out in his own confusion of being called from two different sides that Hannah looks way too happy.

“She looks too happy, right?” he loudly asks and points at Hannah when D.O is coming their direction. D.O looks as focused and serious as always, glaring at Chanyeol before looking at Hannah.

“Do you want to take him?” D.O asks her.

She laughs and shakes her head, kindly saying D.O can keep him. Chanyeol grimaces at them both but laughs it off because Suho comes out from the dressing-room with their manager after him, being chased to the stage. Hannah wishes them luck for their stage but when she reaches the stage, they are all gathered there waiting for their turn so she continues to talk to them. They watch the end of Ana’s performance and then Taemin’s performance before it is EXO’s turn. Hannah stays by the stage, watching them perform. Her dancers are with her while EXO is performing, other idols are around backstage as well, waiting for the ending and watching the last performers.

During EXO’s last song, Hannah is getting ready for her solo stage. She has Chae Hwan check her makeup and hair, Hannah has microphone in hand and she is drinking some water. Then, it is her turn to perform [Just Like Fire].

Hannah’s performance begins with a microphone stand and backup dancers. As soon as she is walking over to the microphone stand, the audience starts screaming. She takes her position and looks up, seeing the arena being black with coloured stars that makes the place look bigger than what it looked during rehearsals because the sky is black as well. It is a beautiful sight, making her think for a few seconds that she is all alone; no crowd, no dancers, just a stage and microphone, surrounded by blackness. But she is not. The music begins to play and Hannah holds on to the microphone on the stand, starting to sing.

Like it is for every performance of this song, she can hear fans singing along to a specific part. The highlight is the chorus though. Korean fans like to do chanting and add the idol’s name that they scream at perfect times in the song, but for the chorus of [Just Like Fire] it is different, especially at Dream Concert. Hannah even smiles because they are singing along, making her hear them more clearly than the music in her in-ear. It is amazing to hear, and after the first chorus she takes out one of the in-ears because the crowd keeps singing along and she is walking out to the other stage, meaning she hears the crowd more and more. It is fun and she gets more playful with the lyrics and crowd because of it. The other in-ear is out before the second chorus; the whole arena seems to be singing along to the song.

The best performance ever, Hannah must admit. Besides from one thing. For the last chorus, she must be having too much fun because her beautiful high heels do not make it; one heel breaks and if she wasn’t busy moving around it could’ve ended with a hurt ankle. Instead, Hannah quickly pokes off both shoes and finishes the song barefoot. It goes well, therefore she can say it is the best performance of [Just Like Fire].

The song ends, she grabs her heels and jogs off the stage with Myung kindly holding on to her arm. She is in a hurry to change shoes and microphone, take a sip of water and almost run back on stage for the Musketeers performance. During the minute backstage, she is smiling at her surrounding as Suho is applauding her, and on stage an intro video for the last performers is showing. Almost every performing of the night is backstage now, waiting to go on stage after the Musketeers’ performance, and Hannah is in a good mood so she just smiles while having her stylists change her shoes, let her drink and help a staff member with the microphone.

For the Musketeers, they have a video introduction of the project group before the members show up for a short dance remix, which is a teaser for their comeback, before they perform the song they released the previous year, [Hypnotic Dancefloor]. The crowd at Dream Concert is incredible though. They aren’t singing along loudly as they did for [Just Like Fire] but they are cheering and screaming for specific parts of the song, cheering for all four members when they sing and it is a blast. And Hannah got to wear sneakers instead of heels, so she is extra happy for that. When it is for the ending, Hannah mostly just watches the audience with a silly smile and an amazed face-expression. She walks on her own for those minutes, spotting Xuimin closest to her, then finds herself walking next to Ana behind Taemin and Kai; the Musketeers staying close to each other the whole time.

 

The next morning, Hannah has no rush to get out of bed. Jonghyun is lying next to her, neither he has a rush to get up just yet though he has a concert this evening. the married couple had been talking for a while before Hannah got caught in her phone, busy reading and writing on it as 5 Pieces’ chatroom (that hasn’t been used much these past months) has lightened up this morning.

Maria, who is in Sweden where it is still in the middle of the night, had spotted an article and turned to the chatroom to ask about it. Hannah look up the article, seeing a picture of Emelia by a pool in beautiful Spain, wearing a bikini and a skirt tied around her waist, long beautiful wet hair and a laugh to the muscular man her arm is around. The article is about Emelia finding a hottie during her family vacation in Spain. Julia finds it funny that no one comments to the fact that Emelia has paid a trip for herself and eight of her relatives to enjoy two weeks of sun and resting. All five ladies are writing on the chat, asking Emelia questions that she answers, she add some jokes too. the article has some paparazzi pictures of Emelia with this dark skinned muscular man, they are seen in the pool together and outside the pool, having a good time, hugging and sticking close to each other. Emelia says she has been careful, not doing more than inside the bedroom, and she assures the ladies that he is a summer fling. She had met him the first night in Spain and had met him a few times during the vacation (they had spent one day at the pool, where the pictures are from) and Emelia writes that since her youngest niece and this man get along well, he could stay.

The ladies all talk about it, Carolina joins in after ten in the morning to ask how she could miss all this. The whole reason why Maria wrote on the chat is to complain that Emelia hasn’t told them about this fling. Maria sent a picture on the chat and added a bunch of question-marks, demanding an explanation. She came off as mad, but truth is, Maria was deadly curious.

“What are you possibly writing?” Jonghyun mumbles as Hannah is writing on the chat. He rolls around to cuddle his face into her neck, arm around her body and sounding like he wants to sleep more.

“Carolina is confused, asking if Emelia isn’t coming to Seoul this week, because they have a commercial to film,” Hannah answers with a smile. She sends her writing to the chat and turns her head just a bit, so she can peck his head. “While Carolina is the one going to Sweden for the commercial.”

“Are they all going to be abroad this week? Isn’t Julia in the US?”

“Mm… But I think she is coming back before Carolina leaves,” Hannah answers. She thinks she heard them say that.

Seeing that the topic has changed from Emelia’s summer fling to what date everyone is going back and forth (besides from Hannah, who is staying in Seoul), she puts down her phone and turns to the side to embrace Jonghyun.

“You should get ready,” she mumbles to him, though her arms around him doesn’t want to let him go.

“I know.” He groans so her collarbone gets all warm. “And so should you.”

She smiles at those words. She feels exhausted just thinking of the up-coming week; comeback week. Last year when the Musketeers made their debut, they had a weekend of promotions. this time it is three weeks. Fans wanted it, the friends wanted it too; a chance to do some real promotion together. As usual, though, when lying in bed in the morning, Hannah just wants to cancel life and stay in bed. that is, until a phone tells them to get up. She has set her alarm on when to wake up, just in case she would sleep this long.

As soon as her alarm rings, she turns it off and gets out of bed. Jonghyun does it too, asking if she will be practicing all night or if they will see each other tonight. He follows her inside the bathroom, going to brush his teeth while Hannah washes her face next to him.

“I’m going to Highlight’s concert tonight,” Hannah reminds him. “Then I’ll come home.”

“Ah, that’s right,” he nods. He had been upset when she said she would go, only because he wanted to go as well. Instead, Hannah is going with Jonghyun’s sister, who is a fan of Highlight.

They both get ready for work. Hannah in leggings and a large t-shirt in black with a flowery print at the front and Jonghyun in big pants and a grey t-shirt. She is standing in her walk-in-closet and putting on bracelets when hearing Jonghyun receiving three text messages in a row.

“Oppa!” she calls out, leaving her closet, going through the bathroom. “Are you late?”

She takes a glance at the time to see that he is not late, hearing Jonghyun ask from the kitchen what she said. Hannah lies down across the bed to reach his phone by the pillow, pressing a button to see whose text messages he has missed. Her first thought was that his manager is telling him to hurry up, but it is at least half an hour left before Jonghyun is leaving. Seeing who the texts are from, Hannah grimaces.

With the phone in her hand she walks out from the bedroom, to the kitchen where Jonghyun is frying eggs and vegetables for breakfast. Hannah stays at the outside of the kitchen counter, leaning on it and putting his phone a bit away.

“You got a text from Ms Yoo,” Hannah comments. She does her best to not show exactly how upset this makes her, not even sure what it is she wants to ask him about it. Ms Yoo, the woman who openly flirted with him recently.

“Really? What does it say?” he wonders, not even looking up from what he is doing.

Since he asks what it says, Hannah slides the phone back in her hand to see

Please log in to read the full chapter