energetic 1

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

It’s Wednesday, the showcase day for the Musketeers. A few hours before the actual showcase, the members gather for rehearsal, have lunch as well as a meeting before interviews starts off. After finishing another interview, Hannah is back in their dressing-room, walking straight over to her bag, checking her phone and holding a hand on her stomach as she is hungry. They are all dressed up, pretty much ready for the showcase to begin while it is for the interviews they are dressed for. Hannah is dressed for summer, wearing jeans shorts with white lace details, a flowery jeans jacket and a simple white tank top underneath. Her arms are filled with bracelets and her hair is wavy and big, a few braids giving her a hip look. She smiles when hearing Taemin come inside, say he still doesn’t know the answer to one of the questions they were asked during the interview. She looks up to see him in the mirror-reflection, just to catch that Ana has leans over a chair to pose for a camera on the makeup table; the camera is filming for the Musketeers’ show. Taemin passes by Ana to cover her face with his hand, laughing on his own.

Ana picks up the camera with a huge smile, holding it up above her and spins so she can film Taemin behind her. He poses for a second with her before stepping away, and Ana backs after him, looking so silly while playing around.

“There is one more interview to do,” Taemin’s manager reminds them by the door.

Manager Lim, who isn’t here working as he is on leave recovering from cancer, but is still here because it is the Musketeers’ first comeback, passes Taemin’s manager to come inside the room. Ana and Taemin are still fooling around with the camera, Ana wanting to film Taemin while he playfully spins away from her. Manager Lim walks over to Hannah at the end of the room, handing her his own phone to show that Julia is on the line. Hannah gladly puts the phone to her ear, quietly asking Julia what it is. Julia had thought it was a bigger venue, being misinformed, and therefore has been on the road driving the opposite direction so she says she might miss the showcase.

Taemin’s manager comes by the door again, asking them to get moving. Hannah stays on the phone with Julia while leaving the room, eventually she is last as both Ana and Taemin leaves until Hannah hands the phone back to Manager Lim and goes after them. A bunch of stylists follow them in the corridor for a touch on how they look. Kai comes back from the bathroom and the friends are smiling for some bad joke Taemin says before they head inside to prepare for another interview.

Their highlight of the interview is when introducing the mini album, and three of them look at Ana who introduces one of the songs and she just starts counting the things she had to remember to say about the song. It is really cute, seeing her lose her words so she actually takes out her fingers as if each finger represents something about the song. Taemin smiles for minutes because of it.

The question Taemin earlier had said he doesn’t know the answer to is surprisingly asked in this interview too, making him come off as weird because he give out a small laugh at it. The question asked is ‘which member shows the most support to your other activities?’, which is an individual question they all have to answer. Like in the previous interview, Taemin says he gets a lot of support from all three members, they always stay in touch and talk about their different kind of works and visit each other when having the time so he can’t choose a specific member. Ana chooses Taemin, not giving an explanation; Kai says they all stay connected (he probably forgot the question because he sounds more like he is answering a question about whether they see each other often) and Hannah agrees with Taemin, that they all support each other and keep one another updated.

While they are doing their interview, a staff member has put back the camera that Ana had taken from the dressing-room. The camera captures SHINee’s Minho and EXO’s Sehun coming inside, talking and smiling to one of the staff members, probably joking about the Musketeers. A few minutes later, Jonghyun comes inside too, commenting on something he saw outside.

Minho steps over to the camera on the makeup table when spotting it, moving weirdly before laughing and bowing in a greeting to the single camera, hearing Sehun laugh from the sofa asking what he is doing.

“It’s for their show,” Minho answers and gives a cool pose.

He stops posing with an I-got-caught face expression when Manager Lim comes inside the room, Minho smiling widely at him before greeting with a polite bow. Taemin’s manager comes in too, bringing white plastic bags with food to put on the table furthest inside the room. Sehun is helping him take out the food while Manager Lim gets stuck holding Minho’s hand, talking to him and Jonghyun in low voices. Minho hasn’t seen him for months, meaning it is the first time Minho has seen Manager Lim after his time at the hospital. Minho’s hand holds on to Manager Lim’s dearly. He has heard from Julia, and also from Jonghyun, how Manager Lim has struggled and fought for the past few months, yet it isn’t until now he meets him.

“Hyung, are you eating?” Minho asks, almost drooling as the smell of food is filling the room and he lightly brings Manager Lim to sit by the table with them.

Manager Lim laughs when Minho pulls out a chair for him. “You’re making me feel old, Minho,” he says while patting Minho on the arm.

“You’re not old, Hyung,” Minho smiles and lets him sit, always charming to those older than him. “Which one do you want?”

“Oppa!” Ana cheers by the door, almost giving out a squeal seeing how lively their room is.

“Your interview is done already?” Jonghyun looks shocked but still greets her, “How did it go?”

She greets the others in the room too, being the first of the Musketeers back though the noise of the others is in the corridor. She tells Jonghyun that it went well, that most questions were the same as previous ones so they knew what to answer. The others come inside the room as well, Kai laughing like always and friends greeting one another. Taemin asks their friends if they just came to eat, as Minho, Sehun and Jonghyun all three have sat down to eat. He says it like a joke that they laugh over and leans over Minho’s shoulder to get a few bites from him.

Hannah doesn’t stay in the room for long, instead she steps outside with Kai to practice for their duo performance. Jonghyun goes up to the door to lean out, hearing them talk while practicing. He watches them for a while before asking Kai why his hand is touching Hannah’s leg. Kai takes a step away from Hannah right away, even Hannah hears the threatening tone Jonghyun uses.

“Ya,” Hannah sighs to Jonghyun. “Don’t interrupt our practice.”

He looks at Kai who suddenly stands very formal and Hannah holds out her hand to slap Kai’s arm.

“Don’t get touchy,” Jonghyun warns.

Once more does she slap Kai on the arm for them to practice, telling him to not bother. Jonghyun smiles when going back inside the room, amused because Kai was quick to react and simply because it is fun to tease them. Hannah gives Kai a smile, shaking her head as he shouldn’t bother and they continue with their practice.

Chae Hwan interrupts them after a while, quietly asking Hannah if they can get ready. They need to check hair and makeup before putting on the microphones. Ana is sitting with the others by the table, smiling widely as Taemin is telling everyone how his bracelet broke – the bracelet he wore at the interview that somehow fell on the floor when they were leaving. Unbelievable, the others are commenting. Minho and Ana are the two smiling widely over Taemin’s usual clumsiness. Hannah walks over to the end of the room to where she has her bag, where she also has a bottle of water that she reaches for.

“Don’t forget that your pants ripped during rehearsals as well,” Taemin’s clothing stylist comments from the makeup table where she is sitting together with Ana’s makeup stylist.

“Why do you keep ripping your pants at rehearsals?” Jonghyun wonders with a laugh. He and Minho are still eating.

“It just happens.” Taemin shrugs his shoulders.

“It’s funny,” Ana nods, smiling widely to Taemin when he grimaces at her.

“I agree,” Kai chuckles.

Hannah is smiling too. It was indeed funny to be in rehearsals, everyone focused and Taemin suddenly putting his legs together with hands between his legs, holding on to his jeans. They all laughed, and fifteen minutes later, Hannah and Kai were laughing again when remembering it. Like they did an hour later. And as they do now, when it is brought up anew. As she is heading over to take a seat by Chae Hwan, Jonghyun leans back in his chair to stop her, asking if she isn’t going to eat anything.

Patting her own stomach, Hannah leans down to lowly tell him that she has to stay fit for the performance. She never eats this close to a performance, he knows that, and there are many artists that do the same thing.

“Just one bite,” Jonghyun whispers and gently braces his fingers around her wrist. She wonders if he notices that she isn’t wearing her wedding ring.

Instead of being convinced to eat, she leans over his head to peck his hair lightly, tapping him on the chest before walking over to Chae Hwan.

“Hannah, isn’t the ladies coming?” Minho wonders, smiling at Jonghyun because he just sneaked some kimchi from Jonghyun’s plate.

“Julia was supposed to come, but she can’t make it,” Hannah tells him. Julia would be late if she tried to come because she went the wrong direction, so when they were on the phone earlier, Hannah told her to not try. They will see each other tomorrow at M Countdown anyway. “For the other ladies, they are abroad.”

Carolina hasn’t left Seoul yet, she is going to Sweden on Thursday but said she has a lot of things to do and won’t make it, saying she wishes them luck on their comeback.

Their time backstage passes by quickly while getting ready. Minho is the most amused (because he keeps laughing by himself), seeing the musketeers warm up and remind each other of the choreography while stylists are asking for attention and for the members to be still. It is quite fun, the last half-hour.

After that, it is nerve-wrecking. Hannah is backstage, just spacing out while hearing the crowd of almost 1.000 fans cheering as the introduction video is being shown. She tries to go through the songs in her head, of her positions and the choreographies, their greeting and what they have decided to say during the talk segments. Hannah is always nervous before going on the stage, and in one way she likes it. It means she looks forward to it.

Ana gets up next to her, ready to get up on the stage together. With Ana standing next to her, Hannah wakes up and turns around to see where Kai and Taemin are, wanting to make sure they all are ready in time. A mix of fans from four fandoms are cheering when the Musketeers’ are heading up on stage. They start off with a song everyone knows, [Hypnotic Dancefloor] from last year. It is a good warmup, that is what Taemin had commented during rehearsals. Warming up the friends on the stage and their fans in the audience.

When the song ends, Hannah is smiling. the friends line up on the stage and it is time to be a leader.

“3, 2, 1,” Hannah quietly counts down for them to hear before the friends together do their greeting;

“All for one and one for all, hello, we are the Musketeers!”

A showcase with the Musketeers is a lot of fun. Their fans are super loud, to all four members, and whatever the friends say or do, they are screaming in response. Their fans are funnier than the members, though they do joke around about each other. But that isn’t much during the actual introduction, but after they have performed [I Did It For Love], the single they pre-released earlier this year. Tonight, they are performing all their songs, which is only six songs in total but it is five dance tracks and one ballad. During the talk, they sit down, answer questions and talk a bit more about each song in the mini album, working together as the Musketeers and some comments about being a co-ed group. They decided beforehand what questions would be asked, who would say what and so on. Some comments here and there are added though, making fun of each other, and fans cheering for everything they say.

After the talk, Ana and Taemin do a terrific dance performance of the new song [Obsessed], very graceful, followed by Hannah and Kai being y and a bit crazy for [Bad Love]. The whole group performs the ballad [Meet Me At Sunrise] together (their first and only ballad), have an ending talk to share thoughts of the showcase and their comeback as well as wishing fans have enjoyed the showcase and will enjoy the rest of their promotions. Finally, they perform [Energetic], finishing the showcase.

Relieved, is the word Hannah uses to describe the showcase afterwards. She is sitting in the van heading to the next location, just an hour after the showcase ended, and she is looking through the reviews, comments and pictures that keep being published. Apparently, media thinks SM has done a great job putting together four already very popular individuals and put them in one group. The mix and match in the Musketeers does it all; they have the visuals, they have the singers and dancers. A talented project group of four friends. And the best are comments from fans, who say they have waited a year for their comeback and that they are not disappointed. From all the things Hannah reads online, she is relieved over how the showcase went.

The members meet up once again, this time for Weekly Idol at MBC’ basement studio. Hannah is wearing the same jeans shorts and jeans jacket but has changed her white tank top underneath to a black one. Red sneakers, the same colour that all of the members have on their shoes. Fans are waiting outside, somehow knowing who is filming for Weekly Idol today because they have cards prepared, holding them up for the members to see. Inside, the two hosts of the show are eager to start filming.

Because Hannah is the leader, she takes the first step to go around and greet everyone. Ana and Taemin arrived a few minutes before her, but Hannah is the first one to go around and greet the hosts and the staff. She is smiling and talking lightly to the hosts when they follow her in the corridor to go meet the other members.

And then it is time; Hyungdon and Defconn take their stand at the white set and start rambling on in a weird introduction of who today’s guests are. Successful in their individual groups, and successful in this co-ed project group. Defconn asks Hyungdon if they can say today’s guests are some of the best dancers, which Hyungdon answers they probably can. Countless of idols are proof of that, as they have mentioned today’s guests are role models in this industry.

“They are the babies of SM; the maknaes of their groups; we have seen them grow over the years and finally… in time for their comeback, they are visiting us here at the third floor basement, the co-ed project group. It’s the Musketeers!” When Hyungdon finally introduces the group, his voice goes as dark as possible and Kai starts laughing over how funny he sounds. Taemin pushes Kai to step forward and the four friends comes out on set, laughing, bowing, smiling, all doing something different. They are not in synch, but who is when walking in on set?

“It’s your second time working as the Musketeers, right?” Defconn asks the members.

“Yes,” Hannah answers, peeking out behind Kai’s nodding head. Ana stands the closest to Hyungdon, Taemin on her other side, then Kai and lastly Hannah. “We made our debut last year and this is our first comeback.”

“It’s impressive though,” Hyungdon says to Defconn and motions to the Musketeers; “Four different forces, joined together. We have SHINee, EXO and 5 Pieces…”

Ana looks at her friends, sad she isn’t mentioned because she isn’t in a group. The host duo asks them to introduce themselves and again, Hannah quietly counts down for them to do their group greeting together. Hyungdon holds up his card when they have done the group greeting, and he starts counting Ana’s solo achievement with awards and albums, followed by Kai’s (EXO’s), then Taemin (SHINee’s) and finally Han

Please log in to read the full chapter