first week

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

After she finished filming the music video with the Musketeers last week, Hannah hasn’t had much on her schedule other than preparations for the movie that will finally, finally start filming in a few days. They had another script reading, they went through wardrobe and looks, she has done her usual combat training and over that gone to the gym to let her body keep up with the combat training. Other than that, she hasn’t done much. Jonghyun is in America for SHINee’s tour, Emelia and Maria are in China for Emelia’s concerts and it feels like these are the days before the storm when her movie schedule officially begins.

Today, after her combat training, Hannah heads to Mnet to visit Julia on her MC post. It is also CN Blue’s comeback and Beast coming back with the new name Highlight. As someone who debuted around the same time as them, it feels like a good idea to show them some love when she doesn’t have anything else to do.

For a change when being backstage at Mnet, Hannah doesn’t hide in Julia’s room. She gets stuck in Highlight’s room for some time, reaching her tongue out to Doojoon when their manager tells them to sign their album for her but Doojoon says Hannah is going to buy ten copies of the album in the store.

“She’s our senior now, watch your language,” Yoseob says as a joke and points at Hannah.

Doojoon looks like he is going to ignore that comment but ends up placing his hands politely by his belly and bow kindly to Hannah, saying he is honoured their senior is here to support them. He won’t stop playing around.

“I was your senior before too,” Hannah laughs at them both though.

Yoseob’s laugh is so loud at the reminder and says “that’s right!”. Beast debuted in 2009, a year after 5 Pieces. While they are busy laughing way too much, Hannah kindly asks Doojoon (who is the closest to her) if she should go buy their album and come back for them to sign it. The kind Gikwang looks up from the corner where he has already started to sign an album for her, hearing Doojoon tell Hannah that she has to buy it herself.

“We are a rookie group, without much money-”

“Even GOT7 hands me their album and it’s been years since they debuted,” Hannah interrupts whatever excuse Doojoon would come with. She keeps smiling at him.

“The rest of us will sign the album for you, Hannah,” Gikwang speaks up, calmly turning back to the album he is writing in.

“Doojoon needs to learn some manners,” Hannah jokes with a grimace at her tall friend as she gets on her feet to go over to Gikwang instead. Yoseob agrees with a laugh, lifting up his feet for protection when Doojoon steps over to him with a threatening fist in the air.

Gikwang finishes signing and hands the album for Hannah, who reads his sweet words before she giggly walks over to Yoseob for him to sign it next.

“Oppa will sign it for you,” Doojoon says when standing behind her, waiting for a chance to grab the album as soon as Yoseob is done with it. Hannah blocks him with a laugh, even holding out her arms so he can’t reach for the album and Yoseob keeps leaning back in the sofa with the album held up in front of his face as he is signing it, feeling them get closer to him.

“This Oppa is signing first,” Yoseob mumbles, glancing up to see just how close they are.

“And this Oppa will sign next,” Junhyung comes out from absolutely nowhere and sits down next to Yoseob, his hand held out ready to take it. “It’s for Hannah?”

“Ya,” Doojoon scoffs.

Junhyung had been outside the room, he was halfway inside when hearing them and just joined in the teasing for Doojoon. Hannah looks happy though, not just because she will get a signed album by them but because they are all making fun of Doojoon who had been the one joking first by saying they are poor rookies without much money. Junhyung signs the album with the others looking, Yoseob starting to talk about 5 Pieces’ YouTube channel. It comes so suddenly that Hannah doesn’t even react to what he starts to talk about at first, but ends up frowning at him.

“I’ve seen it,” Yoseob gives her a nod at her doubting face-expression. “Junhyung and I watched a bit of it together. The car karaoke is good.”

“Because Maria is crazy,” Junhyung chuckles and they all agree.

“Play our song next time,” Yoseob tells Hannah. That’s why he mentioned it in first place.

Hannah smiles widely at the comment and nods. “I’m filming it this weekend with Maria. We’re going to play your song,” she says and even gives a pinky-promise with Yoseob that they will do it.

“If 5 Pieces promote us, we’ll get global attention, right?” he jokes right after the promise.

Hannah just laughs at that and follows Doojoon who gets the album in the end. It only takes seconds before she whines, because Doojoon starts doodling on his picture instead of giving a sign. He says in a low voice that he has grown horns because she isn’t treating him well.

“Huuh,” Hannah whines, waving her hand for him to not ruin it.

“I still look handsome,” Doojoon tells her with a smirk and finishes his autograph. Hannah grimaces at him though, heading back to Yoseob and Junhyung to show them what Doojoon did when they ask her to.

She still has Dongwoon left to sign the album for her but he is off practicing with Julia as the guest host this week. Hannah looks happy hugging on to the album and tells them she will go buy it in the store later as well.

“Julia said the same thing,” Gikwang says with a laugh from across the waiting-room. “That she is going to buy the album.”

“They are both lying,” Doojoon shakes his head but Hannah says she will buy it for sure.

As Highlight need to work, Hannah leaves as soon as Dongwoon has signed the album. She is cheerful when leaving their room, telling them ‘fighting’ before leaving. She is a bit social today, only because she has felt lonely this week without meeting much people.

In the end she hangs out in Julia’s room during the live show, cheering her friends on from there and smiling widely together with Manager Lim as they watch the show together. Julia has already gotten used to her MC spot on M Countdown and like last week when Maria was here, Hannah has the same proud face-expression. They are seniors and used to the cameras but Julia has just joined M Countdown and she is already going with the flow and leading the show as she interviews juniors and rookies. Today, though, she interviews Highlight. Which is hilarious because Highlight are lively and they are close friends to Julia so they are extra foolish. She handles them well, Hannah thinks. Julia is well suited for music programs because she does have reactions, but she doesn’t overdo it and she doesn’t panic if something sudden happens. Like dropping the microphone or if someone is too excited (like Dongwoon).

Before the show comes to an end, Hannah hugs on to Manager Lim because she is leaving. It will be chaotic when the show leaves; fans outside, all the idols leaving, just chaos. So Hannah leaves before that, sneaking out without congratulating the winner or those making their comeback.

Truth is, Hannah could have stayed for an hour longer and leave when Mnet had calmed down because she is just heading home. She heads home to get some rest, stretch and practice some songs she is going to record. Rather than staying at Mnet to talk with Julia and the others, Hannah goes home to prepare for the weekend. It’s empty at home but after spending some time at Mnet, being social and having fun, she can spend some time being unsocial.

 

The next day, Hannah heads to the agency to record new songs for The Musketeers. She walks inside the recording studio with a bow before stepping over to give Pete a high five.

“Are you busy with the movie?” is the first thing he asks, looking like he has had it waiting at the tip of his tongue.

“Oppa,” Hannah pouts, “I start filming on Monday.”

Hyekyung smiles widely at Pete for making that mistake but the smile Hannah gives him says she doesn’t blame him.

“Then… how is the preparations for it going?” Pete changes his question with a grimace.

“It goes well,” Hannah tells him with a nod.

“I’m certain you were supposed to have started filming already…” Pete tilts his head in confusion. Hyekyung ignores him and asks Hannah how her condition is, as they have a lot to record today.

Hannah moves her hand back and forth as she takes a seat in the sofa.

“Why?” Hyekyung asks.

“I don’t have the energy,” Hannah grimaces.

“Jonghyun is abroad,” Pete simply explains to Hyekyung and Hannah leans her head to the side with a smile. It could be a reason, she thinks. He has been abroad for almost a week, so she misses him.

“Have you heard the result of the song we recorded with Max Martin?” Hyekyung asks. He wants to talk work rather than about Hannah’s husband being abroad. “He sent it over yesterday and-”

“It is a hit,” Pete finishes with excitement, smirking as Hyekyung gives him a quick glare. “It is a hit. It is probably the most amazing song I’ve heard, that’s how good it is. And I live for music, Hannah.”

“Shut up, will ya?” Hyekyung sighs, pressing play after finding the song on the computer. He spins around in his chair to face Hannah as the music begins to play, but he closes his eyes to focus on the song.

Hannah leans back in the sofa, staring up at the ceiling while she is listening to the song. When she has thought of the song they recorded in Sweden a few weeks ago, she keeps thinking she did it bad. She got compliments and all, but she could’ve done it better. Listening to it now, she realises this song is too good for her. Max Martin has made her sound incredible.

“Good, right?” Hyekyung ends is smiling at the end of the song.

“It doesn’t even sound like me,” Hannah points out.

“It sounds exactly like you, what are you talking about…” Pete chuckles.

Hyekyung nods. “Max Martin is a magician but that voice, lady, is your voice.”

“Amazing voice,” Pete agrees.

“You worked yourself hoarse that weekend, turns out it was worth it,” Hyekyung comments. “I love this song and if it wasn’t for SMSTATION, I would convince the agency to let you promote this for an album or something because it is that good.”

Hannah lies down in the sofa, not feeling up for anything. It takes a few minutes of the two producers chatting before Hyekyung asks if they should go through the song they are going to record. She sits up again and takes out the lyrics from her bag, starting to prepare while Hyekyung plays the demo for the song. Taemin is the only one who has recorded already. She warms up and they go through her parts before she walks inside the recording booth and starts working.

Dressed in a large V-neck colour-block sweater in beige and white, Hannah is hidden underneath it. The sleeves are covering her hands, falling down just a bit whenever she lifts her hand up when singing; a habit she has in the studio is to move her fingers in the air, mostly to keep track on her pronouncement. Hannah loves that about long-sleeves; how her hands disappear in them. The leggings are comfortable and she takes off her sneakers when singing to not feel held down. Those small things that she tells herself makes a difference, but in the end, it is just her way to be the most comfortable in the studio.

“That sounds great, Hannah. One more time,” Hyekyung says.

“Okay,” she answers.

They are recording two songs this evening. Finishing the first one in an hour, they take a break to just chat, listen to it, Hannah lets them work a bit just Hyekyung and Pete, then they listen to [Just Like Fire] again before Hyekyung sends it to Hannah so she can listen to it when she feels like it and then they start preparing to record the next song. Her voice gets tired quickly this time, making Hyekyung say they should take another break.

She sits down in the sofa with a sigh, water bottle in one hand and her phone picked up in her other.

“Isn’t Ana coming?” she wonders.

“She is coming later,” Hyekyung answers, being busy with what they have recorded so far.

Just as Hannah has asked that; she sees that one of the text messages she has received is from Ana. She is in the practice-room now, having gone straight from her MC-spot on Music Bank to film for Unnies Slam Dunk. In the text message, Ana says they are filming at the SM practice-room and tells Hannah to come visit. Last time, Maria went out to the dorm where the variety show is filming, she talked about vocals and shared some stories to ease the comedians and actresses’ minds about making a girl-group on the show. Hannah texts back to Ana to ask if they are filming or if the members are just practicing, as she doesn’t want to come interrupt their filming.

A few minutes later, Ana writes back: “Come!”

She is a demanding girl; Hannah wants to say. She talks to Hyekyung and Pete about it before she leaves. Pete said it is the perfect excuse for him to go get some coffee. Lucky Hannah, she is wearing the lightest makeup, meaning she doesn’t have to cover her face when leaving the studio to go check the practice-room.

As she nears the practice-room, Hannah slows down and bursts into a smile. She spots some staff members from KBS outside the practice-room, just sitting and waiting for when they will be needed. Kindly she greets them and asks if they are filming, trying to see if they think she will be interrupting their filming of the show but one of the female staff actually motions for Hannah to go see for herself how she thinks it’s going. The lady walks up to the door, stepping aside when it is opened by a staff member coming outside and she again kindly says ‘hello’ before peeking in through the open door. She gets to hold it up herself, seeing the camera crew sitting by the mirrored-wall, and then it is Ana, the youngest Somi, comedians Sook and Jinkyung as well as actress Yewon facing them while practicing the choreography with their dance teacher.

Hannah leans out again, in a low voice asking the staff out there if she should come back later when they aren’t so busy. But a camera inside is already focusing on her, the PD is looking her way to see who is holding up the door and when Hannah looks back inside, the room reacts to her.

“Oh!” she can hear Sook’s voice over the others and Hannah takes a small step inside and bows.

“How is it going?” Hannah asks them and is smiling widely when Ana hurries over to give her arm a hug. It looks like Ana has missed her though Hannah thinks she is just happy Hannah really showed up.

“5 Pieces’ Hannah!” Sook calls out, not done with the reaction to see Hannah, clapping her hands. Hannah laughs and bows to them all again. “What are you doing here? Did you come to see our practice?”

Hannah nods. “I’m recording upstairs and heard you are here, so I came to see how it is going for you,” she explains, feeling Ana hug on to her arm a bit more. “Ana has told me about how hardworking you all are on this project.”

As the experienced performer that Hannah is, they ask her to watch their dance. But first, introductions. Hannah has never met Yewon before and though she has met Somi backstage, it is the first time talking to her. Not that they talk much, it is just Ana who points out that Somi is a huge fan of 5 Pieces (therefore the shy smiling girl). Ana is having a blast just by having Hannah there; a senior showed up because she told her to, and everyone looks up to Hannah so it is indeed a blast. After seeing them dance, Hannah give them an applause. She only makes a short visit to not disturb them for too long, but she gets to talk to them.

After they have shown their dance to Hannah and they have talked a bit, Jinkyung mentions that Hannah should dance for them. She tries to imitate 5 Pieces’ [Power Up] but the others are quick to ask what she is doing as it doesn’t look like a dance they know, though Hannah sees what song choreography it is. Sook is hilarious, Hannah thinks, the lady constantly smiling just watching them all.

“We can dance [I Did It For Love],” Ana suggests to Hannah. She wants to show their dance. The single will be released in two weeks, so when and if this part is aired, it would just be promotion to the single.

Hannah keeps smiling when they get in position, commenting that it feels weird to suddenly be dancing. She can’t stop smiling even when the music begins but the second she starts dancing, her smile disappears. Because, after all, she is dancing next to Ana to a Musketeer song; it is all about the choreography.

They just dance until the chorus ends and right away, Hannah bows to those behind her and says she will leave now, getting embarrassed because they kept going “oh” and “as expected” in the back. Hannah then has to go upstairs to keep working. Ana holds on to her arm when following her to the door, saying she wished Hannah could stay a bit longer and finishing by saying they will see each other in the studio later. Hannah waves to the staff and the members, bows as well before she leaves.

“Woah…” Sook breathes out when the door is closed, looking at her group. “How can someone be so cute and charismatic at the same time?”

“Unnie is amazing,” Ana brightly smiles, looking proudly at the PD and staff members.

“Somi couldn’t say a word,” Sook comments and points at the girl who gives out a sound while pressing her hands to her cheeks. “You like her that much?”

Somi nods. She had acted the same when Maria showed up last time, unable to sp

Please log in to read the full chapter