... apart

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The man filming behind-the-scenes turns around to capture the lady coming out on set. Starting to film her white high heels, his camera goes up. Hannah is wearing a y slit evening dress, deep V-neck and a slit going up her thigh. The red dress is long and graceful, showing her curves above the waist and easy to swing around at the skirt. It’s beautiful. Her long dark hair is wavy and it falls down to cover some skin the dress isn’t covering.

“I feel like I should walk the red carpet in this,” Hannah comments to the man, smiling at him.

After spending another week on the set for her movie, the weekend arrived with more filming. Hannah is filming the music video to the song [Just Like Fire], the song she went to Sweden to make with Max Martin several weeks ago. It is strange working so much without the ladies, but she is familiar with the crew she is working with (she has gotten closer to the staff at the movie set and the crew on this music video have worked with her before) but it is always different when she is not with the ladies. Others don’t notice, but Hannah does. It’s lonely and exhausting.

The camera-man follows Hannah a few steps so she stops walking to talk to him instead.

“Yesterday, we filmed me being many different characters interacting with each other,” Hannah starts to say, “I have never done something like that before so it was fun, and I look forward to see the result as well. Right now, … I am admiring the set. The music video will look very nice.”

She looks behind her at the green surrounding and nods to the camera. Yesterday and today, most of the scenes have a green background for special effects. They will let her stand on a roof or she will be on the street; all kind of background sceneries like that while she is in fact with a green background. In the lyrics, she sings about everyone being the same, but no one can be like her anyway, so it was a good idea of the directors to let Hannah face several different Hannah’s. It was indeed fun to film.

“You said yesterday that Carolina would come by,” the camera-man points out.

“Yeah…” Hannah sighs. “She said she would come yesterday, but she is bad with time.”

Carolina had texted Hannah when the filming ended, asking where they are so she can come. She had first texted during the day, saying she wants to come by. But to text when Hannah is done filming for the day, made her not come. And she hasn’t texted today, so Hannah isn’t expecting her. The lady gives the camera-man a smile before walking over to her stylist to be ready for the filming.

These weeks are only getting weirder and weirder. Hannah can’t say the ladies are on bed terms, which the media keeps implying, but she can’t say they talk a lot either.

Emelia is spending time with her family in Sweden, she is spending her days in the stable with horses (an old hobby of hers that is hard to keep up with in the big city), not writing much on the ladies’ chatroom. Maria is the same; spending time with her family, staying away from horses though but she is a lot with her family. Yesterday she went out to the club in their hometown, with sisters and some of their close friends. Someone at the club took pictures of her, a fan it seems like; Maria sitting by a table surrounded with blonde friends, looking to be cheering, then a picture of her at the dancefloor. This fan also pointed out that Maria, along with her sister, took off their shoes to dance crazily. A drunken lady, some might say, but for those who knows her, it is a typical Maria enjoying time with her friends. That’s what Hannah saw in the pictures. Carolina is a lot at the agency, or she is stuck in her room, saying she is working on a lot of things but no one knows what besides from that she is working on music. Julia is enjoying herself, she goes out to eat lunch with friends, she is a lot with her mother and their pets, on Thursdays she works at M Countdown.

The ladies have always been different. They have fought because of it and struggled but they have always been friends, understanding that they are different in many ways. But being different has nothing to do with what is going on now. They are all distant. Maria talks a lot to Manager Lim, and through him, Hannah hears how Maria is doing. It is all weird to her. when filming, Hannah stays away from her phone. Kyungho and Jonghyun have both said she is the distant one, but Hannah feels distant because she isn’t meeting the ladies. And with what is doing on with Manager Lim, she thinks staying away from her phone is the best solution to stay focused.

Though Hannah spends the weekend filming a music video, she doesn’t feel it. She has gotten so used to the cameras that she plays a role on set, the role as 5 Pieces’ Hannah. Smiling, talkative and professional. Tired and hungry are two things she is though, taking any chance she can to put a snack in . But that’s something else. The reason Hannah doesn’t feel it is because she doesn’t enjoy it.

It is the scariest feeling on earth. To do something she usually loves but not an inch in her body is enjoying it. She doesn’t sing along to the music though it itches in her body. The song is great and after listening to it so much during filming, she knows it to her heart, yet she can’t sing to it or move around to it, which is why it feels so wrong. Ever since Manager Lim was sent to the hospital; Hannah hasn’t been singing. She can’t sing. All she thinks about is her sick father, the ladies being separated and media constantly asking bad questions. Maybe she needs a vacation too.

The music video filming is completed before midnight. That is good because in eight hours, Hannah has to be at the saloon getting ready for a new week on set.

Besides from that she only has one scene on Monday. She is there for five hours, films for one hour out of those five and then, her day of filming is complete. She enjoys the time waiting though, watching the others do their part. And after her job is complete, Hannah gets in the van, crawling into a ball and wishing she could go home and crawl into bed. But she can’t do that because Sung Hyo had called Yong Hyun to say that Hannah needs new clothes. Why? Because Hannah is an idol and her body has changed these few months preparing and working on the movie, so even her bra is not fitting her correctly.

So this afternoon, Hannah is going shopping. Good for her, Yong Hyun has ordered things for her. Sung Hyo got to check Hannah’s size one time on set, sent the answers to Yong Hyun and he ordered a lot of things that Hannah now is going to try on. Underwear, tops, pants and dresses.

“What’s wrong with you?” Yong Hyun wonders, glancing over at the lady who is sitting in his sofa.

“Nothing.” Hannah is tired after spending two hours trying a bunch of things.

“Oh please, you look like someone forced you to drink coffee against your will. And you hate coffee,” he knows. Yong Hyun once saw Hannah take a sip of coffee, watching her almost throw it up. He puts down the underwear he was piling up nicely to come sit down next to Hannah. Sung Hyo has gone home now, allowed to get an early day before their week will continue. “Tell me, baby girl, what’s wrong?”

“I’m tired,” Hannah sighs. She leans her head back, closing her eyes. “I haven’t slept much.”

“Because Jonghyun is abroad?” Yong Hyun wonders.

Hannah opens her eyes to look up at the ceiling. Yong Hyun’s garage smells surprisingly good, filled with clothes, shoes and accessories. “Maybe,” she mumbles in response. Jonghyun is back in Korea by now, just for a few days before he is going back to Japan for the tour.

“Let’s do it like this. Half an hour. Then I’ll let you go home, okay?” Yong Hyun suggests. He nods when she gives him a pout and gets up on his feet. “Come on, baby. I’m giving you a new wardrobe.”

“Giving?” Hannah tries to sound impressed when getting up on her feet.

That half of an hour passes by slowly to Hannah. She is the most irritated at herself for not feeling good. Manager Lee has been waiting in the van outside, surprised that they are done early but also happy for it. Yong Hyun hugs Hannah when they have put the bags in the van, saying he will come by set sometime this week to see how it’s going and then it is time to head home.

In the van, Hannah checks her phone, like she always does in the van. There are a lot of updates on Instagram and Jonghyun has texted her, letting her know he has stopped by his mother’s house but will be at their home later. Then he has written again that he has gotten to the apartment, she isn’t there and wondering if she will be out for long. Hannah writes to him that she is heading home now, then she watches the feed on Instagram.

Among all the updated pictures on her feed, Hannah frowns when seeing a picture of Maria there. Maria has uploaded a selfie. Maria hasn’t uploaded anything in three weeks, two weeks before that. She isn’t much to upload a picture that often, but fans know she updates every two or three weeks; or four weeks. This selfie is of Maria making a cute face. The only thing is that some pictures later, Hannah sees Julia doing the exact same face in a selfie as well. After Julia, it is Emelia’s turn. Emelia is also doing that cute face and seeing the three of them doing the same thing, Hannah is confused. Turns out there is a reason behind it. Carolina has uploaded a selfie on Instagram. If Maria updates rarely, Carolina updates even less. Once a month, maybe, or several times in a few days once a month; not often. And Hannah realises the other three are making fun of her because Carolina has commented on their pictures with ‘what are you doing’, ‘don’t copy me’ and ‘not you too’.

Thus, Hannah makes sure she looks alright (still wearing makeup from her schedule earlier) and tries to copy Carolina’s picture.

Only seconds after uploading her own selfie, fans start commenting. Some are asking what is going on, others say that 5 Pieces is still alive, and just a few minutes later, Carolina comments with ‘I did not expect this from you, magnae’. It’s nothing, really, just the ladies teasing Carolina like always. Yet it makes Hannah smile seeing their selfies and Carolina’s comments. Nothing has changed between them.

“When am I picking you up tomorrow?” Manager Lee asks when they are in the elevator going up to the apartment. He has told her two times already, but as she hasn’t repeated it once, he isn’t sure she has listened to him. Right now, he is going up to the elevator to help Hannah carry the bags.

Hannah glances at her manager, looking like he has to repeat his question but then she shakes her head. “I don’t know.”

“8:40. Don’t be late.”

“8:40,” Hannah repeats with a nod.

“Don’t be late,” Manager Lee repeats for her and she nods again.

He follows her inside the apartment, dropping the bags in the hall and smiling when Jonghyun shows up. A tired and distant Hannah doesn’t react like Jonghyun had thought she would when seeing him. He thought she would hug him and get all cuddly, while Hannah in fact just takes off her shoes and says she is going to hang the clothes up right away to not make Yong Hyun mad at her. Manager Lee just greets Jonghyun and exchanges a few words before he is leaving.

Jonghyun takes his hands through his hair when going after Hannah. The lady is in her walk-in closet, unpacking new things and shoving other things to the side. Clothes that have gotten too big to her are still there, she won’t throw it out.

“You went shopping?” Jonghyun asks in a low voice, stepping up behind her for a back hug.

“Yong Hyun ordered it for me,” Hannah answers. Jonghyun puts his chin on her shoulder, watching her hang up a top. He waits a few seconds.

“Nabi…” he whispers, kissing her shoulder and putting aside her hair to reach her neck. “We haven’t met in forever and you haven’t even looked at me.”

She has looked at him, giving him a brief hug when she entered the apartment, but she hasn’t looked at him the way she usually does. After mentioning that, Hannah turns her head to peck him on the cheek, mumbling that she doesn’t want to be scolded for not hanging up the clothes. Jonghyun sighs against her shoulder, closing his eyes and hugging on to her body.

“Are you tired?” he mumbles. It’s easy to notice that something is troubling her.

“Mm,” Hannah answers.

“And?”

“I’m tired,” she repeats.

When neither says anything for a few seconds, Hannah notices the silence, and the tired sigh he gets out. She stops unpacking the bags and turns around with Jonghyun’s arms loosening around her. With a whine she hides against his chest, hugging on to him.

“I’m really tired,” she whispers.

“Let’s get some sleep then,” Jonghyun tells her.

“It’s too early for that,” Hannah mutters, smiling against his sweater.

“Then… let’s watch a movie.”

She looks up at him with a grimace. “Do you want me to fall asleep in the sofa?” she wonders. Jonghyun smiles back at her, giving her a light peck on her lips.

“Let’s see who falls asleep first,” he jokes.

They start watching the movie Pan together after that Hannah has washed up and changed clothes. The first ten minutes or so they are watching the movie, then Jonghyun starts telling her about his time in Japan and his plans about the album that came out today. It’s like an alarm ringing in Hannah when he mentions the album; she had written it up and all but his second collection album was released today and she has not looked it up. Jonghyun is understanding but Hannah feels bad. She hasn’t even looked at his music video for [Lonely] that also came out today. So they pause the movie to watch Jonghyun’s music video instead. Though she has heard his behind-the-scenes stories about the music video before, he points out things in the video for her. and after that they are just talking and talking and forgetting completely about the paused movie on the TV.

 

Right after his schedule has ended, Jonghyun sends a text to Hannah’s manager to ask if they are still working. He has time to go home before he gets in his own car and drives off, going to the location Manager Lee has told him they are working at.

After that Jonghyun came back to Seoul on Monday, he has spent Tuesday and Wednesday working to promote his album collection; fan signings and radios. He has chatted with Hannah, or at least tried because when she is on set, she doesn’t answer much. She had said she doesn’t check her phone often when she’s there but knowing her, Jonghyun thought it was just talk because Hannah always keeps a track of her phone. Through her phone she stays in contact with a lot of people, including him. So to not have her hold on to it tightly is unusual.

Manager Lee meets up with him outside the set, saying that Hannah is still filming but they can go watch if they are quiet. She has no idea he is here. It is Manager Lee who walks around with Hannah’s phone, for her to know where it is. Her stylists are with her, so her manger mostly just stays in the background or waits in the van one way or another.

Though they go see what Hannah is up to, they are only there for a few minutes before stepping outside again. They are busy, so Jonghyun thought if Hannah did see him, she would get distracted. it is enough that he saw her for a few minutes before stepping outside, talking to Manager Lee who takes a smoke when they go around the corner of the building. A few other staff members are there too, taking a break during filming as their job is to build the set. Jonghyun greets them all politely and introduces himself as Hannah’s husband (not SHINee’s Jonghyun).

“You’re here to watch over your wife?” one of the staff members asks before placing the cigarette between his lips.

“Yeah, pretty much,” Jonghyun nods. Out of the four staff members standing there it is one of them who is not smoking, instead he is sitting on a cone with a Redbull in his hand.

“She’s good,” another staff member points out with a smile at Jonghyun, “I saw her for the first time during the first week of shooting and she’s really an angel. You got lucky.”

He gives Jonghyun a point with the Redbull, and Jonghyun smiles down at the ground for a second. He feels lucky. The others chuckle at the staff member praising Jonghyun for finding such a wife. She is kind, they tell him, that she is always smiling to the staff even if they have been working for long hours. Jonghyun can just smile and enjoy their words, hearing about Hannah from staff members. Manager Lee smiles from time to time. For him, he is just aware of that Hannah is not feeling her best lately, so it is good to hear the staff sees her smiles and not her distant expressions in between.

They stand out there talking until some more staff members walk out the building, giving off the feeling that the filming is done. Manager Lee gives Jonghyun’s arm a touch for them to head inside, to see if Hannah has a break.

Jonghyun bows lightly when they pass by some people on the way inside, staying polite while following where Manager Lee goes.

“What are you planning on doing?” Manager Lee wonders, knowing Jonghyun is here for a reason.

“That depends on how much time we have,” Jonghyun answers with a smile at him. “Is there a chance to borrow her for an hour or two?”

“I’ll ask the assistant director. But if not, there isn’t much time left before they are done for the day.”

Jonghyun doesn’t comment on the manager’s words because he has spotted Hannah and is bursting out into a smile. Hannah, dressed in a black overall and a dark green sweater underneath, her hair up in a ponytail and a cap for her scene as undercover, is walking their direction while talking to Chae Hwan. They are getting closer but it takes many seconds before Hannah looks away from Chae Hwan and the string she passed to the stylist, and when Hannah finally looks away, she sees Jonghyun. She doesn’t get all shocked and speechless like he thought she should be, but her whole face shines up.

“What are you doing here?” Hannah asks and directs her steps to come over to him.

“Surprising you, what else?” Jonghyun keeps his bright smile when putting his arms around her for a hug, wanting to squeeze her tight but Hannah leans her head back to not get any makeup on him. “Best surprise ever, right?”

“Best surprise ever,” Hannah agrees. She smiles up at him. “But I thought you were working all day.”

“All day has passed,” Manager Lee chuckles next to them.

“It’s eight in the evening,” Jonghyun lets her know, rubbing his palms on her arms when getting out of the hug. “Are you done? Do you have more things to do?”

Hannah had no idea it had gotten so late. It’s still light outside, tricking the lady who hasn’t looked at the time. Hearing Jonghyun’s questions she says she still has a scene to film but a lamp had broken so they must fix it. She keeps smiling though, not just because Jonghyun is there but because even after the hug he puts his arms around her from the side to keep holding on to her.

“Then I’ll borrow you after that,” Jonghyun comments and smiles at Manager Lee. “The two of us have talked about it, he said I can borrow you when you’re done filming.”

They are cute together, Jonghyun giving Hannah a back-hug while they keep talking and even when Chae Hwan is fixing Hannah’s makeup, he keeps his arms around her, smiling over her shoulder. When Hannah is heading back on set, she takes Jonghyun’s arm to introduce him and vice versa to the director and writer. That look on Jonghyun’s face when she introduces him as her husband, Kim Jonghyun, is making Manager Lee chuckle on the side. Hannah is cute with Jonghyun there, smiling adorably and having a cute tone when talking, smiling around at everyone and Jonghyun is looking proud being introduced during his first visit on set.

He stays when they film the scene, having to step back with Manager Lee but he is there. Director Yang is amazing when they are about to start filming as he calls out for Hannah to stay focused even if her husband is present and the staff members are all smiling. Hannah too, smiling adorably that the director repeats that being in love is a wonderful thing, then in a serious tone mentions that Liza (Hannah’s character) is not in love and more people are laughing. Hannah calls out that she is in character, but she smiles their way until they count down to start filming.

Once Hannah is done for the day, she loudly thanks everyone for their hard work, holds her hands together as she was about to

Please log in to read the full chapter