faintly

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Honggi is smiling at his phone, holding it up a bit while filming himself on Instagram live. He doesn’t say anything, and he glances to the side at the other sofa in the room backstage. Minhwan is sitting with his legs apart, completely engrossed in playing the game on his phone, wearing just one earphone as the other is held by Hannah. the members of FT Island are dressed in their light outfits for the M Countdown stage, and Hannah too is wearing a white top underneath her black zip-up cardigan. Though it isn’t zipped closed, she has her arm held over her leg to keep it shut. She is sitting on her knees in the sofa, wearing jeans shorts to her stage outfit and socks to bare legs, but she too, is focused on Minhwan’s game. For being someone who doesn’t like games, she is surprisingly focused on it. Minhwan has spent at least twenty minutes explaining it for her, ever since she came in.

For the simple reason that they have an hour break before an interview, Honggi updates fans from backstage with his Instagram live broadcast. Fans are writing quickly in different languages, asking if he is having fun, saying they are looking forward to their performance, wanting to hear him sing, wanting him to talk and so on. Honggi just keeps smiling at the comments and he tilts his phone a bit to catch his manager walk by behind him, the door out to the corridor shut closed after him. Honggi chuckles by himself as his manager gives a weird look seeing he is being filmed, which isn’t something unusual as Honggi often films him eating or when he sleeps.

Lowering the phone a bit, filming his shirt instead of his surrounding, Honggi gets up on his feet to take a seat in the sofa. Hannah moves a bit to the side to give him more space, completely unaware of that he is filming himself because she is only looking at Minhwan’s game. Minhwan gives out a sound and Hannah goes ‘oh’ before they laugh and Honggi is silently laughing seeing the comments on his live broadcast. Who is there, can we see who is with you and those kinds of comments. He moves a bit to get closer to Hannah, moving his arm to the backrest and reaches his tongue out when Hannah and Minhwan are spotted next to him on his live.

Hannah gives him a glance, wondering what he is doing before smiling at his phone and she holds up a V-sign by her face seeing he is broadcasting.

“We have an intruder in our room,” is the first thing Honggi says on his live broadcast. He smiles widely at the phone seeing Hannah grimacing at him through it. “I’m joking, just joking.”

“Do you want me to leave?” Hannah asks in an upset tone.

She moves her foot out under her to sit more straight in the sofa, her knee is bare as she hugs on to her leg and she can’t help but to smile when Honggi reads a comment that says she isn’t intruding at all.

“Your fans are kind,” Hannah happily says to his phone, seeing the comments quickly passing by. She isn’t good at playing upset, smiling widely instead.

“It was a joke.”

“Honggi asked me to come,” Hannah tell those watching his live and Honggi shakes his head.

“Hannah thinks this room is cooler than her own,” he says, laughing when hearing how it sounds before adding; “The weather is hot these days, the air-con is better in here than in her room. That’s why she is here.”

She lowly thanks him for explaining that, so people won’t misunderstand. She is, after all, promoting with the Musketeers. Honggi and Hannah are both reading comments quietly for a minute, he says an English comment in a quiet voice and Hannah smiles when he says in Korean that they are promoting alongside each other this time. A lot of fans are commenting about Hannah being in FT Island’s room, writing that FT Island and 5 Pieces always get along well together and so on. She likes the comments, seeing there are those that have been fans for many years based on how they write their comments.

“This one,” she points at his screen, her finger tries to follow the comment before it disappears in the flow.

Honggi scrolls back to it. “Someone asked if we meet each other often.”

“Which we don’t,” Hannah simply answers and Honggi nods.

“In other words, it’s more fun when having the chance to promote at the same time like this, because we don’t see each other often,” Honggi adds. He smiles brightly when giving Hannah a glance. “I just remembered that you’re coming to the radio tonight too.”

She smiles at his stupid comment and rolls her eyes. “Too bad Minhwan won’t be there,” she jokes and grimaces when Minhwan glances up at them, for the first time taking his eyes off his phone though it is just for a second.

“Woaaaaah,” Honggi gives out too much of a reaction to his phone. “Do you hear that? This is how I’m treated, being pushed aside by my best friend to another friend-”

“Have you watched a drama recently or what’s up with the acting?”

Hannah and even Minhwan laughs at Jaejin’s comment from the other end of the room and they laugh more when Honggi curses at him. Minhwan groans and leans back in the sofa, saying he lost. Hannah keeps laughing, both at Honggi sulking from Jaejin’s comment and Minhwan who is sulking from losing his game. Honggi finishes airing on Instagram, telling everyone to say ‘bye’ one by one before he turns it off and leans heavily against Hannah so she leans against Minhwan.

Though it is true she has spent a lot of time with her friends from FT Island today, she has still gone through some interviews, talked to NCT 127 as well as Julia. It was just she passed by this room on the way back and felt how cool the air was and she started talking to Honggi by the door, somehow ending up sitting in the sofa watching Minhwan play his game. He kindly explained what it was about to her, but in the end she doesn’t understand it. It is always easy to hang out with them, probably because they have known each other for such a long time; the same with her friends in the Musketeers. They have known each other for many years, making it easy to just sit down in the sofa and follow the conversations.

Hearing Honggi talk about struggling with his voice lately, Hannah and Honggi gets caught up in a deep and serious discussion about taking care of their voices, struggling with the pressure of doing well on stage and such, forgetting about time that even when Honggi’s manager says they have an interview to do, it is difficult to just end the conversation.

And that means their conversation continues when they meet up near the stage. Taemin joins the conversation too, just as serious as the other too. Being professional on stage while struggling to keep your voice as good as possible is something every singer can connect through. Honggi also knows that Hannah couldn’t sing when she was told to promote [Just Like Fire], she had told him when they talked earlier. It’s not that she feels it to be a struggle at the moment, but it creeps up at her on stage at times, especially now when promoting. What if her voice breaks? What if she misses a tone? Many what if, which Honggi and Taemin both experiences too. whatever Hannah says, she still thinks Honggi has it harder. Hannah and Taemin can have the dancing to blame on the stage, as to say it is hard to keep your voice from wavering when moving around, while Honggi who is the vocalist in a band can’t use that excuse.

The Musketeers are last up on the stage today at M Countdown. Not for a comeback like last week, but because their song is running up for first place. Hannah is wearing her jeans shorts and white cropped top with lace details, a skirt tied around her waist and a small heel on her boots. She wear a lot of bracelets, feeling like she is dressed for a summer festival wearing this outfit.

She keeps patting her three friends on the shoulder before they get up on the stage, without a word wishing them luck for the performance. She clears a few times when hurrying into position and just as they are being introduced, she meets Kai’s gaze and they both smile though their face-muscles tries not to.

It’s fun. She wants to shout that out when the music starts to play and their performance begins.

In a discussion backstage earlier, Kai straight up said they depend a lot on Hannah when they perform. Her voice is the solid sound in their song, someone had commented that on their performance yesterday and Kai had agreed to it. Though he also said he is the front when it comes to their dance. Even if those thoughts appear at the start of their performance, Hannah loses them soon as she focuses on the choreography, cameras and all of their parts. She doesn’t mind having them depend on her, it makes her a bit happy actually. All of them have their parts in the group, four members receiving equal love from their fans. She can’t dislike that. And performing together is always fun, hearing the crowd chant along, the friends being busy keeping up with the choreography and charming the camera whenever it focuses on them.

The song seems to go on forever today, making them sweat and out of breath so the ending of their performance is not as good as it should be. Hannah spots that right away, seeing Taemin move his foot from placing it too far away and hearing Ana’s voice sound tired. Their song ends and all the idols are coming up on stage.

She gives Julia a smile when they pass each other, everyone taking positions for the ending with Seventeen on Julia’s left side and the Musketeers on her right. Hannah walks over to the left side though, asking a staff member for some napkins before she hurries back to her place. Keeping one napkin to herself, she asks Taemin and Kai if they want one before she helps Ana to wipe her temple and neck. They are breathing heavily, Hannah listening for the staff counting down to when they will go live so she is ready to put the napkins in her back pocket.

Julia is hosting with NCT’s Jaehyun and Day6’s Wonpil. She has looked lovely all day, being thrilled because the music video teaser for her comeback came out this morning and she has taken time stepping outside to talk to fans about it. They are looking forward to her solo comeback and staff at Mnet seem to be excited about it too. Hannah watches her when she starts talking, trying to control her breathing and calm down from the performance while also admiring her best friend. Julia has gotten really relaxed and natural hosting this show, and she is kind to all the juniors.

Just as Ana had expected, the Musketeers’ wins over Seventeen today. Hannah, who stands next to Jaehyun, receives the microphone, while Taemin is given the trophy. She wishes it would be the other way around, even considering switching right here, right now, but instead starts mentioning the staff they have worked with. After all, she said a similar speech yesterday when they won too. When asking if the others want to say something, Ana reaches for the microphone to thank their parents and friends as well as fans and when she is done, Hannah hands the microphone back to Jaehyun. She waves and bows to the audience while the hosts are saying the goodbyes and she turns to her friends, Taemin patting the top of the trophy, which Kai also is doing and Ana joins them so it feels like a must, Hannah does it too. Four weird friends. Though wearing headset microphones, they are given microphones in their hands by a staff member before the encore.

“Thank you!” Hannah cheers to the crowd when she checks to see if her microphone works, the encore is beginning.

She is given a hug by Julia who pats her head before congratulating the other three and Hannah instead smiles to the other two hosts bowing to her. Seventeen members are bowing too and Hannah is bowing back, glancing at Taemin who gets up next to her. Ana has gotten the trophy, the friends are both singing and bowing to their colleagues. Hannah sees the members of FT Island in the back moving back and forth to get seen clapping their hands in their own way of congratulating the winners. Hannah automatically bows at the sight, smiling widely at them before turning around for her turn to sing.

Kai is the lonely one dancing a bit during their encore before coming up to the others when Taemin puts his arm around Ana’s shoulders. Kai gets up on his other side and Hannah puts her arm around Kai for the four of them to stand together, bowing and continuing with the encore. It is hard not to dance when hearing the song though, Kai keeps moving even when they are standing together and Hannah follows him before they let go of each other to start an encore performance of what is left of the song.

They are still in stage outfits when going to MBC for their radio program. Honggi is the DJ, which is what he meant earlier on his Instagram that she is coming to the radio. While they are waiting to go on the radio, Kai is sitting with his phone, chuckling by himself while Taemin is resting his head on Ana’s shoulder. Ana is muttering for herself as she is going through what they will talk about on the radio and Hannah is spacing out sitting with them. They were in the same van when coming here, talking nonstop about their performance, admitting they got tired and that they have to rest up for the rest of the weekend schedule. Kai chuckles again, getting her attention. She leans an inch closer to him to see what he is watching, seeing a bunch of high schoolers dancing.

Kai puts away one of his earphones, smiling widely.

“There are so many dance covers for [Energetic],” he chuckles and tilts the phone a bit so she can watch it too. “These kids are good.”

They watch at least three more videos of four or more people covering their newest song. It is fun to see how they cover the song with ten dancers. Lost in watching the covers, they are told to go inside the radio booth. When entering the booth, it is a commercial. The video broadcast lets viewers of the radio know that the guests have arrived and Hannah smiles seeing Kai imitate Ana who waves at the cameras. Honggi is smiling brightly, wearing a cap as he is not dressed in his stage outfit from earlier.

A staff member is handing out some papers to them when the Musketeers have taken their seats. She can’t help but to say that Honggi has been excited today to have them guest on the radio.

“That’s because listeners have sent in a lot of comments about it,” Honggi says and turns his screen to show Hannah and Taemin on one side what he is talking about. Since he mentioned during the day on his Instagram that he would see Hannah on the radio, fans have been waiting and asking when the Musketeers are showing up, sending in questions and requests, which in turn made Honggi excited.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

 

“Who catches a cold overnight?!”

Hannah is sitting with her head down. All morning she has heard those words, Taemin even hit her head when she sneezed during rehearsals and now when they are going to their second fan-signing before their performance at Music Bank, she is scolded again for getting a cold overnight. Her nose is runny and her head hurts, but that’s it. From going to bed with just a tired body, she woke up with a runny nose and tired head as if she hadn’t been sleeping at all.

Today she is wearing fitting high-waist pants and a cropped sleeveless top to a jeans jacket, though she keeps putting the jeans jacket down her shoulders because the summer heat is indeed here. Kai is doing the same, showing off his bare arms that he has worked on in the gym, not wearing his jacket when they are at the fan-signings.

When they are at the fan-signing, Hannah is sitting between Ana and Taemin, Kai sitting on Ana’s other side. Their songs are played in the background, making Kai dance in his seat from time to time. Taemin keeps playing with the hand-sized fan on the table, once even making it roll down on the floor and fans imitate Hannah as well as Taemin’s manager by telling Taemin to not touch it anymore. The fans are super loud, so many of them are screaming and they cheer over anything. Just when they have taken their seats, Ana leans towards Hannah to ask if she has two blankets because Ana doesn’t have one (the blanket is used to cover her legs though the table is covered at the front) and fans starts screaming like crazy.

When the first fan in the line steps up to get her mini album signed, Taemin leans against the table to look over at Kai, who is sitting first. Hannah looks too and Ana is watching the fan-girl. Kai is smiling seeing them look at him but does his best to focus on the girl in front of him and to sign the album, though the girl hides behind her hand seeing the other three and the other fans are screaming loudly. Taemin lazily picks up the microphone, teasingly says;

“Kai, you’re such a flirt.”

“What a lucky girl,” Hannah jokingly adds and fans screams even more. Kai laughs and the girl moves over to Ana. Hannah and Taemin, without even having talked about it, both grimaces at Kai at the same time when he glances their way. Taemin laughs seeing what Hannah does and nudges her on the arm, saying he did a grimace too. fans are still roaring loudly.

Whatever they said to Taemin about the fan on the table, he keeps touching it from time to time. In the middle of the fan-signing, a girl asks why he keeps touching it and Taemin says he finds the weather to be hot.

“You’re so cute,” the girl says with her hands by her cheeks, looking like she really adores him. Taemin, on the other hand, changes his voice so it gets deeper and gets serious when telling her he is not cute, he is a man.

Hannah smiles next to him, just hearing briefly what they are saying while signing the mini album to the boy in front of her.

“Can I see your nails?” the boy asks her when getting the album back.

Hannah knows she gives him a confused look by the strange request, but holds up her right hand for him to see. She looks too, worried her nail-polish would have worn off or something without her knowledge, but he doesn’t even look at her nails. Instead, the boy makes her laugh by hurrying to put on a bracelet on her. Fans behind him are screaming in a disliking tone, as if they don’t want him to give her something though a lot of fans bring gifts. Hannah is just surprised because he did it so suddenly and laughs while checking out the bracelet. It’s pretty and simple, so she thanks him for it.

“You’re not wearing your wedding ring today,” he comments when taking a step towards Taemin, still looking at Hannah. She checks her own finger at the comment and smiles again, saying she isn’t wearing it. Some fans casually mention these things, that she is married, asking if she is happy in her relationship and wishing her many years of happiness and whatnot, just like this boy now casually mentioning her wedding ring. “You wore it yesterday, though.”

“I did?” Hannah asks. Taemin looks up at the boy when it is his turn but the boy tells Hannah that she wore her wedding ring on the radio last night. She did. She guesses the boy watched the viewable radio online, wondering how he could spot such a detail.

The boy then turns to Taemin, looking happy when greeting him. Hannah looks at the fan who just stepped up to Ana, as Hannah’s spot is empty. She waves over to the fans gathered in front of them that are busy keeping up with the little things the Musketeers are doing, she smiles wider when they scream in response to her. Hannah takes a deep breath, wanting to cough but clears instead and she picks up her mini-fan to hold it towards Taemin. He felt hot, she remembers he said the other minute.

“Hyung, do you call Unnie for sister-in-law?” the boy in front of Taemin asks after saying he likes Taemin’s solo part in [Energetic] the most.

Taemin looks really shocked at the question while Hannah just laughs. He did say it once or twice as a joke, but that was a year ago for the wedding. Taemin ends up smiling and handing back the album. “I’ll leave that for your imagination,” he answers and Hannah laughs even more for how strangely he answers. He could just say ‘no’. The boy gets to step away without a real answer and Hannah lifts up her microphone.

“Do you really want an answer?” Hannah asks him and he turns around, shouting out that he wants to hear it.

Hannah holds her microphone to Taemin, smiling at the girl now stepping up in front of her and Taemin hits the microphone with his head when lowering his head out of laughter. Hannah takes the microphone back, asking Taemin to call her. Most fans have no idea of what is going on as they don’t know what the boy asked them, but they still seem interested to hear what Taemin should call her. Taemin his lips when picking up his own microphone, leaning away from Hannah to gather strength as he is embarrassed just thinking of Hannah as his sister-in-law. Kai is leaning forward too, not knowing what they are up to.

“S…” Taemin starts and sighs, looking troubled before looking at her with a laugh. “Sister-in-law.”

The whole place roars out as if the fans are at a concert and Hannah almost falls back in her chair from laughing. It is the worst attempt Taemin could ever do and he starts laughing when hearing Ana and Kai laughing loudly. Hannah points over at the boy.

“Are you satisfied?” she asks him with a laugh, knowing he is but it is too embarrassing that she doesn’t know what else to do. She smiles up at the girl before looking down at the mini album to continue the signing, muttering in the microphone before putting it down; “Don’t call me anymore, Taemin.”

They laugh at her joke and Taemin is sitting with his head on the table, too embarrassed to face their fans after saying such a thing. He glances up at Hannah though, saying her face turned red. She ignores it and talks to the girl in front of her instead.

During the one and a half hour they are doing the fan-signing, Hannah only sneezes once. That’s a good thing because no fan seems to ask if she is sick or say that she seems tired, so she is pleased. Her nose is killing her once they leave though and when she is practicing in the car, she thinks her voice sounds different. is fine so she isn’t sure if it is her ears hearing strangely because of the cold or if her voice sounds different. That means when they are back at the dressing-room for Music Bank, she is practicing hearing what Taemin thinks.

Her whole face is serious when waiting for him to give her feedback, even her hands held out to ask what he has to say. Does she sound different or not?

“It’s not like it sounds bad,” Ana points out from the chair next to them. She is spinning the chair round and round while waiting for their turn on the stage.

“I knew it,” Hannah leans her head back with a whine. She sounds different. Her nose won’t cooperate today.

“But you still sound good,” Taemin comments, taking a seat on the chair next to Ana. “There’s nothing wrong with your throat, so a blocked nose isn’t much, right?”

He is right, but Hannah still feels gloomy. Just yesterday she felt proud because her voice is what she contributes to the group, and the next day she sounds different. Manager Lee is standing by the wall, just nodding along. He went out to buy medicine for her earlier, but it only made her head a bit better. The last half-hour before it is their turn to get ready for the stage, Hannah sits down next to Kai in the sofa. He decided to sleep, and she soon follows. Hannah is sitting tailor in the sofa, her arms crossed over her chest and head down, a blanket over her legs. She is tired and she does not want to be sick, so to save her energy she is sulking on her own like this, listening to music through her earphones. Kai’s head drops down too when he falls deeper into sleep.

After a few minutes, Hannah glances around her and checks the time, just to see her stylist Chae Hwan leaning against her. Chae Hwan is breathing slowly, looking like she is sleeping behind that white mask covering her face. She looks adorable, her head leaned back so she is looking up at Hannah while leaning towards her shoulder.

Even when the dancers and the group get ready, Chae Hwan is still sleeping. Hannah checks her own makeup before leaving the room with Ana, heading to the stage. They are smiling when walking in the corridor, cheerfully singing their own song and Ana is energetically dancing along to their singing. Hannah lightly bows when they passes by a girl-group and Ana has to turn around to bow to them as she missed it. She is excited enough for both of them and Hannah smiles seeing Ana start to bow to

Please log in to read the full chapter