another concert

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A fan-video taken at the Mnet Asian Music Awards yesterday is spreading like crazy today. By the time Hannah gets off the flight in Seoul, she has three friends sending the video to her, sending laughter and asking if they had fun. The video is very simple and not very different from how videos can be like after an award show. Yesterday’s award show ended with Wiz Khalifa’s performance of the song [See You Again]. For 5 Pieces’ fans, they know that Hannah and Emelia earlier this year made their own music video to that song, a fun friendly video made at the hotel in Europe during their world tour. The song is about friendship and love and reminds the two ladies of The Fast & The Furious movies. During yesterday’s performance, the two ladies stood up from beginning to end, arms around each other and swaying and singing along, loving the song to heart. Their emotional way to enjoy the performance is apparently what fans online are commenting about, both laughing and crying. Hannah, she laughs at it, asking what the big deal is.

Another thing people are bringing up online is that solo artist ANA.N (Ana) won Song of the Year with her hit song [Rose]. It’s a video that a lot of fans are crying over online all around the world because having Ana win one of the biggest awards of the year did not just make Ana cry, it made Taemin cup her face from behind to show off her crying face to fans and Hannah was sobbing in the background while applauding her friend for winning. Ana did her best to not cry when saying her speech but she spaced out completely looking at her fans screaming below the stage. She was adorable and unable to come back on stage afterwards because she was too busy crying backstage. Taemin almost ran to her once the award show ended, to laugh a bit more at her crying face and to congratulate her.

Hannah was hugging her when she was backstage preparing for the last award, as Hannah was presenting Artist of the Year Award. Hannah went backstage as soon as Ana was done, being there to wipe the seventeen-years-old tears. It was hard to not burst out crying herself, talking to the managers and staff around them that she can’t join in the crying because she must go up and present the last award.

Presenting the last award is probably as big as receiving it, that’s what Hannah said when she got on stage and started to talk. She talked about how honoured she is to present the award she somehow, magically, thanks to Puzzle, was able to receive last year. Smiling, she congratulated all the winners of the day’s award show, congratulating all the nominees as well. When opening the envelope to see who the winner would be, Hannah smiled around at the crowd that was screaming out different names of the artist they wanted to win. Hannah delayed it a bit, as they always are told to do, before she said it is a big honour to announce this group as the winner. Joking with the fans she even said she might wait a little longer before announcing it just because it was a very thrilling moment. The winner was BTS, being announced after having Hannah say she is a big fan of the rising star, adding ‘congratulations, BTS’. Hannah felt extremely nervous when handing them the award, shaking their hands and congratulating them, having them bow politely to her.

But that was all yesterday, a memory Hannah would forget out of embarrassment unless it was talked about online so much.

Today it is more to achieve. Today, she isn’t the one on the stage though. She has gone back to be the shy Hannah, nothing else than a twenty-four-years-old who will be sitting in the audience for real this time; not on the side with cameras pointed at her but in the audience, one among many.

Coming straight from the airport, Hannah isn’t one of the audience just yet. It is still some time left before the concert will begin so she is let in from the back, walking backstage and politely greeting the staff with a nervous and shy posture. Manager Lee is looking very happy, too happy if you ask Hannah and not even half as nervous as her.

“Why would I be?” he asks when she asks why he isn’t nervous. “It’s just a concert.”

“Not just any concert.”

“Right…” Manager Lee says with a smile. He doesn’t comment on it though, mostly because he spots another manager from SM Entertainment and his voice gets a little louder in a greeting. Hannah lowers her head too, smiling for her greeting before glancing inside the room to her right.

Music is playing from a phone in the large dressing-room, a soothing voice singing along lowly and movements from stylists busy with their work is what Hannah sees. Someone is talking too. Just by glancing inside, an older woman sitting on a chair spots her and Hannah smiles widely when waving to her. The short Korean woman gets on her feet and crosses the dressing-room to come over to Hannah when the lady steps inside.

“You’re early,” Mrs Lee smiles kindly to Hannah, reaching out to touch her hands that are holding a bouquet of flowers. “How was your trip?”

“It was a quick trip. How are things here?” Hannah politely talks to her, still a bit insecure around her. Mrs Lee smiles at her though, telling Hannah that it is a lot of nervousness here today.

“Oh, Hannah, you made it!” one of the stylists happily calls out and waves a cheek brush in the air. Hannah kindly greets her back, saying she is here. At the happy call of her name, more heads turn to look at the idol who just arrived as well as the singing is on pause, and Hannah greets more of them.

“Are those for me?”

SHINee’s Jonghyun leans his head back in the makeup chair, smiling with his eyes on the bouquet Hannah is carrying. She holds the bouquet tighter in her arms.

“It’s for your mother,” Hannah answers and playfully takes a step closer to Mrs Lee. “For your hard work, mother-in-law.”

Mrs Lee makes the room laugh at her light sound of happiness, and instead of accepting the bouquet because she knows it’s not for her, Mrs Lee puts her arm on Hannah’s back to hug her lightly. “It only took this long for you to call me that,” she happily shares.

Besides from being a member of 5 Pieces, Hannah is the first female idol to get married and still show up on the stage. She is also the first idol to get married to another idol. As a foreigner, Hannah has found it difficult with this marriage as the Korean culture is so different to the Swedish one. Jonghyun’s mother has asked to be called mother-in-law, because that is what she is, but Hannah has found it odd because just two years ago this woman did not like Hannah very much; Mrs Lee didn’t know it was serious between them and she was just looking out for her son but after the engagement a year ago, she started to soften up a bit. After the marriage, especially these past few months when Hannah hasn’t been working much, Mrs Lee has invited her over for dinner and they have even gone out to eat lunch together.

The bouquet is given to Jonghyun, though he doesn’t leave his chair to receive it because he has to finish his makeup. He holds on to her hand though, not letting her go take a seat with his mother.

That’s what Hannah is doing here today; moral support. It’s not that she is here to hold Jonghyun’s hand or anything, but she is there as his wife; not as 5 Pieces’ Hannah.

After being backstage for some time, Jonghyun’s stylist asks a random question. The topics have been about the concert, merchandises, schedules and what everyone is doing lately, so the question makes Hannah smile. The stylist asks who Hannah prefers; BTS or SHINee.

“Nuna watched MAMA last night,” Jonghyun chuckles.

“Aah,” Hannah smiles when understanding why the question is asked. Not anything really, just the fact that Hannah gave BTS their award last night. “What kind of question is that, Unnie? You know the answer already.”

“Why? Can’t a woman be curious?” the stylist is laughing.

They should know Hannah’s answer would be SHINee, every time.

Backstage she stays near Jonghyun’s mother and sister, mostly because she does not want to get lost in the feeling that she has to prepare for the stage. So, when his mother and sister are going to take their seats for the concert, Hannah is going too. She watches Jonghyun’s face when wishing him good luck, smiling because he is busy choosing what rings to wear so she tilts her head to keep watching that focused face-expression he carries. There is a lot of movement in the room, the last fifteen minutes before it is time to go to the stage. Hannah has butterflies in her stomach for him. It’s not his first solo concert but it is as fun every time.

“Will you only have your eyes on me?” Jonghyun asks in a low voice.

“Probably… not,” Hannah cutely smiles, tilting her head back and forth at him. “I have to watch everything that will happen on the stage, you know. Your dancers, the props… it will be a lot to look at.”

Her smile grows when those brown eyes look at her. He tries to hide a smile at her teasing, looking back at his rings when picking up another one to try it on.

“Don’t focus too much on everything else then,” he lowly mentions.

“Mm, okay,” Hannah lightly nods before she quickly pecks him on the lips. “Have fun.”

Jonghyun glances behind them when Hannah steps away, and he brightly grabs her arm to pull her back. He isn’t holding back his smile now, mumbling something before kissing her quickly. He checked to see if his mother was around.

“Don’t forget to watch me too,” he reminds her, letting go of her arm for Hannah to leave.

She keeps smiling at him. One step away she starts telling everyone in the room in a polite phrase to take good care of each other tonight, leaving the room with a cute wave to Jonghyun. His mother and sister are out in the corridor, waiting for her. Sodam, Jonghyun’s older sister, smiles widely when Hannah walks up to them, asking if she gave Jonghyun some final rest so those nerves of his won’t keep him worried about whether the concert will go well or not.

Sodam has her arm around Hannah’s, the two of them talking while following Manager Lee and two other staff members to take their seats. Sodam and Hannah have always seemed to get along well, always talking about something but most of the time they aren’t talking about anything in particular. She was the one who always told Jonghyun that he should marry Hannah, saying they look good together and get along well. Jonghyun once jokingly said on his radio that he at one point believed his sister wanted them to marry just so she could have an excuse to hang out with Hannah.

Though it would be fun for Hannah to not be seen as a member of 5 Pieces today, she can’t hide the fact that she is. Sodam and her mother gets to go take their seats first, while Hannah must stay behind with Manager Lee and a staff member, not allowed to enter the concert hall until the concert is starting – a try to not make fans notice her.

That’s impossible though because when Hannah walks after Manager Lee to take her seat, the hall dark besides from the stage as the concert has begun, the fans at their segment starts pointing and telling their friends next to them that it could be Hannah. Manager Lee sits down with them too, on Hannah’s right side while Sodam is on her left. Only when hearing the music does Hannah get excited, smiling happily and cheering next to Sodam.

 

The concert is both hilarious and hot, rarely at the same time. The three women sitting together are getting embarrassed at the same parts; Jonghyun’s mother and sister a bit embarrassed seeing the y dances and Hannah embarrassed for seeing it when sitting next to them. It’s fun though, the concert is absolutely wonderful to watch, the fans seem to have a great time too. Maybe that’s why Hannah is smiling from beginning to end; she can hear fans between the songs, hearing them breathe out, comment to their friends how great the previous song was, being all emotional for some songs – it is indeed a fun thing to be listening to.

When the concert ends, Hannah has to leave before everyone else. Sodam and her mother goes too, heading backstage to be in the corridor when a crying Jonghyun comes off the stage. Staff and family congratulates him on ending the first solo concert this winter, applauding and patting his back. The dancers that were standing on the sides applauding him gets a cheer as well, because they worked hard on the stage with him. Hannah stays in the background, watching everyone congratulate each other and she congratulates people too but still stays in the background.

She is probably the first one to leave, not staying long. Manager Lee will drive her home, so Hannah quietly goes around saying goodbye and goodnight to everyone before she leaves. Only when she is in the car does she kick off her left shoe, groaning tiredly and loudly and asking her manager if they can stop by somewhere to buy snacks or something. He agrees on it, saying it has been a long day.

“How’s your foot?”

“Mm.”

Manager Lee frown at the answer he gets and gives a glance at her. Hannah is pouting out the window, avoiding to see the glance he gives her. Her foot was swollen yesterday at the award show, and as the stubborn lady, Hannah did not want to go to the hospital to check it. It’s still a bit swollen, it hurts a lot when she has been still; like a few hours on the flight or when sitting down to see the concert. When sitting in the van now, she is moving her foot in circles and back and forth. Maybe she got hurt during the performance yesterday, too into the moment to notice it until she got off the stage; Hannah has no idea, but since it is better today than yesterday she is just going to wait it out.

They stop by a convenience store on the way home, letting Hannah buy some snacks and soda. She promises to not eat it tonight, her manager saying that means they will have to go to the gym tomorrow.

Taking the elevator up to the seventh floor in the apartment building, Hannah’s mind is thinking of what to do before going to bed. It would be nice to just lie down in bed. She should unpack first. Opening the door to the apartment, she stops right away, laughing at the sight.

A cute cat is rolling around on the hall floor, paws stretched out with head turning to look at Hannah.

“You waited long, didn’t you?” Hannah asks and squats down as soon as she has come inside the hall, closing the door after her. Tiger continues to roll around, waiting until Hannah starts patting her on the stomach, caressing the cute cat and eventually picking her up. “What have you been doing without me, Tiger? Did you behave?”

Hannah walks inside the apartment while pecking the cat in her arms, carrying the bag from the convenience store to the kitchen worktop.

“Are you curious about what I bought?” Hannah keeps talking to the cat. “Hm… he didn’t leave any lamps on for you, did he? Have you been playing in the dark?”

Please log in to read the full chapter