super woman

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Hong Kong is going a bit crazy these days with all the Korean celebrities being on a visit. The yearly Mnet Asian Music Awards 2016 is being held tonight, and fans are standing on guard outside the arena. Hundreds and more hundreds of fans and journalists lined up to see even just a glimpse of their favourite idol or actor. There are flashes from cameras focused on the red carpet, pushing from those next to you in a try to see better and voices going from chattering to attention-seeking whenever a van’s door is opened and another celebrity steps out. Female fans at the front, closest to the red carpet, knows the names of every idol making an appearance, calling out for NCT Dream, G-Friend, Seventeen, Crush, GOT7 and all the others.

A fancy car drives up to the carpet, not a van this time. A few of the security guards, dressed handsomely in black suits, are standing by to keep an eye on the fans as well as open the door to help another celebrity out. When the door is opened, fans can see who it is and what before was screaming for their idol is not a loud roaring, showing that it is not one of the younger idols stepping out of the car but one of the seniors.

A pair of white Louboutin pumps steps down on the carpet. A woman dressed in a white suit makes her appearance to the roaring fans that suddenly sound to be twice as many as before. With beige lipstick, a smirk of satisfaction is formed while thin blue-green eyes scan the place. A member of 5 Pieces has arrived on the red carpet, stylish and handsomely dressed with a woman’s touch on the bare V-neck under her jacket. With golden bracelets and earrings, she stands tall in front of the carpet, standing coolly for a few seconds to let everyone take her in. A Caucasian surrounded by Asians.

“EM!”

“EM! Emelia!” it roars around her, fans holding out their hands and bouncing in place when the lady starts walking on the security guard’s command.

With one hand in her pocket, Emelia looks relaxed as she walks to the side, touching the hands of fans while following the line. Her waist-long dark ash blonde hair is styled in a slick long ponytail down her back, her hair straight. With a calm expression and a relaxed posture, Emelia walks over for the photo-corner, turning to face the big cameras. She turns inches to the side, tilting her head a bit when taking her hand through her hair to get it down her shoulder, wanting her hair to be seen in the pictures they take of her.

A staff member is sitting on her knees in front of the cameras, eventually starting to move her hands for Emelia to keep going. The lady lowers her head in a simple bow to thank for the well-taken pictures before she walks over to the next corner; the journalists. They start shouting out questions as soon as she starts walking, and in the same relaxed walk she makes her way over to the Mnet interviewer she recognizes from the day, as the same woman has been backstage during the award’s rehearsals. A small smile appears on Emelia’s face.

“Is it as cold as you thought it would be?” she asks the interviewer when coming up to her.

“It is definitely not,” she answers with a laugh, holding a microphone out to capture the lady’s voice. “Tell me, do you have any expectations of tonight?”

Other journalists standing in line next to Mnet’s main want interviews too, brief ones, as always. They are impatiently waiting for a chance to snatch the rapper of famous 5 Pieces. Emelia takes a step closer to the microphone.

“I am just here to perform and enjoy the show, as so many others,” Emelia answers the question.

“Who do you look forward to see the most then?”

“Uh… I look forward to see most of the performers tonight. I caught a glimpse of our juniors’ rehearsals earlier and it seems like it will be fun to watch. And Wiz Khalifa is performing, that’s something I look forward to.”

“Is there going to be a collaboration stage between you and Hannah tonight? Seeing you are the only two members of 5 Pieces here.”

Emelia gives a smile, turning her body a bit to show the short interview is about to end. “Watch the show,” she teases, “We’ll collaborate with others tonight.”

“Final question!” the interviewer is quick to say, hearing how others are bursting out to try catch Emelia’s attention but the lady pauses her steps to hear the question; “When can we see 5 Pieces together again?”

“If you’re asking about our comeback, you’ll have to wait a bit longer.”

“So you’re preparing for it?!” the interviewer calls out. But Emelia has already moved on, looking pleased with the teasing answer she gave.

 

The second lady attending the awards tonight is Hannah, arriving to the red carpet not much after Emelia, only a few idols in between. Sitting in the same car, as soon the door is opened the roars outside welcomes her. Just as loud as it was for Emelia, it proves that 5 Pieces’ popularity is high in Hong Kong. Hannah gives a shy smile with red lips when stepping out of the car, just as handsomely dressed in a suit as her friend, only this one is in red and with ripped skinny jeans. The buttons are low on her jacket to reveal the cropped top underneath, showing off her curves beautifully and her feet are decorated with a pair of red Louboutin platform heels. Even when arriving at different times, the two of them are matching each other as members of 5 Pieces.

Hannah stands still after getting out of the van, listening to the staff on her right asking it of her for pictures. She feels tall in the platform heels, as if she is floating above everything. Fans on both sides behind the fences are screaming her name and reaching out their hands, cameras and phones are held up, wanting to capture this moment. Hannah starts walking when the staff motions his hand for her, the lady smiling to her left at the fans. Her fingers, graced with rings, lightly puts her long blonde-brown locks away from her face before the hand is held out to touch some of the hands reached out for her. Hannah walks forward while touching the hands of fans, smiling as she tries to catch their faces before she steps away to keep her pace. Walking in platform heels is not easy, but after some years of practice, she sure seems to manage it well.

Just as the other celebrities before her, Hannah takes a pose for the cameras, turning right, turning left, moving her head to look at as many cameras she can while her pictures are being taken. In English and Korean, they call out for her, asking her to look their way, ask her to look over her shoulder and whatnot. Hannah keeps it simple, lifting her shoulder to her chin to smile at them. The flashes from their cameras are strong and the seconds she is in front of them seems enough.

Moving on, Hannah looks with big eyes at the journalists lined up next, not sure where to begin as they all want her attention. She steps up to one of the first ones, hearing the journalist speak in English while holding out his microphone for her, asking questions about what she is wearing, what the concept for tonight’s outfit is and what they can expect from her this evening. For the last question, Hannah simply explains that she is here to watch the show, support her friends and perform, so they can expect that from her. Short and brief, she allows around three questions before she goes to the next person.

Hannah smiles cutely to Mnet’s main, recognizing the interviewer after years in the industry and she keeps her smile when hearing the first question;

“Emelia just came by and said 5 Pieces is preparing a comeback, is that true?”

While Hannah has absolutely no idea that 5 Pieces is preparing a comeback (her own group), she keeps her smile and asks back; “She said that?”

“Is it true?” the interviewer repeats her question, excited as to what Hannah will say.

There is a shrug on Hannah’s shoulder, a big smile that shows she is teasing as well; “No comment on that question.” Even the camera-man filming is giving out a low laugh at her secrecy and Hannah’s smile is making her eyes disappear when asking for a different question for her to answer. She has no idea of 5 Pieces’ future, hoping the cameras doesn’t catch how insecure she felt when it being brought up.

“The Musketeers are nominated for Best Music Video and Best Collaboration tonight, congratulations on the nominations by the way. Which do you wish to receive the most?”

“I’m just happy to be nominated,” Hannah happily answers, and laughs when seeing the interviewer wanting to ask the same question but differently so Hannah adds; “We had fun promoting as The Musketeers and the nomination says others enjoyed it too, so … I’m happy with the nominations.”

She kindly moves on to the next interviewer, answering questions about who she looks forward to see tonight and who she thinks will win the big awards. Mentioning the big awards, her smile grows shy, especially when being asked about the Artist of the Year award; the one she received last year as a solo artist and the award she this year will be presenting.

“It’s quite unbelievable, I am still trying to grasp it all,” Hannah is lightly laughing when it is brought up, having three cameras filming her at once but she is looking at the woman who asked the question.

“You are the first solo artist to receive the Artist of the Year Award, do you have any advice to juniors wanting to receive the award as well?”

It is at times like these when Hannah wishes she could be with her members, having a confident Maria or a talkative Carolina answer the questions. But standing there alone, the smile is plastered on her face, looking as if she is enjoying it.

“What advice is there to give…” she jokes, “Just have fun with what you’re doing and keep doing your best.”

“That sounds like an advice you would give,” the interviewer comments with a smile, seeming pleased with the answer. Hannah laughs and asks if it sounds like something she would say, thanking the woman when continuing to walk.

It is a big joy in her chest when the red carpet comes to an end and Manager Lee Ji Young is standing by the doors to guide her inside. Hannah grimaces at her black-suit dressed manager when walking up to him, her grimace asking what he thinks and he is smiling in a way that makes her think she did fine. Manager Lee offers his arm for her, glancing at those pumps she is walking in as Hannah earlier had complained about painful toes. She hasn’t walked in high heels for three months, not for longer periods that is. But she doesn’t accept his arm so he instead puts his hand a few inches away from her back, guiding her inside. Hannah did well on the red carpet, he tells her that, even saying he is surprised she kept her smile and humour for every interview.

The walk backstage seems endless. Hannah’s pace slows down and eventually she is pinching her manager’s sleeve, both to keep walking straight and to make sure she walks with him when they pass by people. Manager Lee might have worked with Hannah for years but he is still amused whenever she holds on to his sleeve like this, just a pinching grip that isn’t much but apparently enough for her.

As she is popular on the red carpet, it isn’t much of a difference backstage either. The staff members from Hong Kong all walk by the wall when seeing Hannah come their way. It is awkward, Hannah thinks, once again wishing she could walk with someone.

Being 5 Pieces’ Hannah is fun, to be able to perform, sing and dance, to meet so many people that share their stories and tells her how much they appreciate 5 Pieces’ music and the meanings the ladies give out about friendship, love, life and dreams. She loves all of that. Yet she stays as the shy girl when she is alone, receiving attention and having all eyes on her. Eight years in the industry has taught her a lot, she doesn’t blush and hide when it happens but just smiles and takes care of it, just so her smile can disappear when she is on her own, to relax when the attention isn’t on her. That’s why she prefers being with 5 Pieces; the other ladies are good with attention.

Her wish comes true backstage, seeing the blonde head of their rapper further in front of them. Emelia has been busy filming for their YouTube channel lately, during the day today filming backstage, for rehearsals and just chatting away. She seems to be doing it now too, walking slowly while holding up the camera in front of her and talking about something. Hannah walks faster to catch up, smiling and moving her head back and forth in wonder if the camera is capturing her.

Emelia must’ve seen her in the camera because Hannah’s name is spoken. Hearing her own name being said, Hannah lifts her hand to show a V-sign by her cheek, her cute expression not matching her handsome outfit at all.

“Just getting off the red carpet and currently heading backstage before the show begins,” Emelia is saying to the camera, speaking English fluently. “I think people like our matching outfit… Hannah, do you agree?”

She moves the camera just a few inches to the side to film Hannah better over her shoulder, the lady behind her nodding her head without saying a word.

“Hannah said she doesn’t care about anyone else here, all she is looking forward to is to see my performance, isn’t that right?” Emelia is saying, joking around while hoping Hannah will keep nodding. She wants to see if Hannah is even listening to her or if she is too focused on acting cute for the camera. To her dislike, Hannah starts shaking her head.

Emelia turns the camera to film herself, grimacing a bit at Hannah not falling for it. “Like always, she is no fun on camera.”

“Don’t ask me questions then,” Hannah laughs, coming up closer behind her friend.

“You’re not being filmed so hush,” Emelia mutters.

The muttering turns into a laugh as Hannah’s head is put next to hers to be filmed. Hannah is a few months younger, always being the baby of their group, and now too Emelia keeps filming while petting Hannah on the head, allowing the younger lady to be filmed next to her.

“I’m being filmed,” Hannah cutely says in Korean. As soon as she has said it she steps away with an embarrassed laugh while Emelia happily laughs at her, both having fun.

The person who is walking with them is Manager Park Jiji, a bit on the side to stay out f sight from the camera. He has been the target of Emelia’s teasing the past few months as she has been promoting her solo album [Soldier] and since he is the youngest of the managers and for the first time in charge of a lady, she has been having a lot of fun with him. For Manager Jiji, it is only nice that Hannah is there, letting Emelia focus on someone else than him when they are walking backstage like this.

Hannah has attended Mnet Asian Music Awards for years, last year coming on her own even. This time, she is here as a member of SM Entertainment’s project group The Musketeers; a project group of four friends that are most known for their dancing skills – besides from Hannah who is just a decent dancer but still part of the group. Emelia is there as a solo artist, the best rapper in SM Entertainment (as written online after the release of her solo album). The two ladies had wanted to walk the red carpet together, as they are both members of 5 Pieces, but since they are here to promote for other reasons, the two of them were told to walk on their own.

For the beginning of the award show, the two ladies are joining other idols to sit on the side of the stage, hard seats made of plastic are nicely placed on a few floors for everyone sitting there to be seen. At first when stepping up with a staff member directing her where to sit, Hannah is so awkward. The award show has just started, so NCT are seconds away from performing so Hannah most of all just wants to jog over to her seat. Instead she slows her pace to bow to BTS standing up to greet her from their sofa made of plastic, and EXO members doing the same on the other side. She awkwardly walks by them to go join Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon, who is also sitting awkwardly next to soloist ANA.N. Hannah takes a seat between them, breathing out for finding a safe spot among all these people. Taeyeon is like Hannah; short and petite, a personality with many ups and downs, and someone who is a bit awkward in these situations. That’s why Taeyeon pats Hannah on the leg when they sit next to each other, eyes on the stage to watch their juniors perform. Taeyeon felt it easier to lean back and relax with a good friend next to her.

Ana is the only idol in Korea with European origins, besides from the ladies in 5 Pieces. As a young mixed Irish-Russian girl she is looking happy to sit at the award show. Only seventeen years old, ANA.N has worked as an idol under SM Entertainment since she was thirteen, and before that she was a pretty representative for Ireland in the Junior Eurovision

Please log in to read the full chapter