energetic 2

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

After their comeback on M Countdown, the Musketeers went to pre-record their two stages for Sunday’s Inkigayo. By that time, Ana is exhausted because they have done interviews during the day as well, leaving no time to get some sleep. Kai sleeps for five minutes pretty much every hour, somehow managing that. Hannah and Taemin are drained on energy, but it isn’t seen when the cameras are rolling.

Before Music Bank starts, they have a final interview to do for the day. One by one they will get called for, as it seems to be individual interviews at first, followed by a group interview. Hannah is told to go first, wearing her stage outfit for [I Did It For Love]; black jeans, flowery top with a matching corset and a black leather jacket that is huge on her, hanging down her shoulder constantly. Manager Lee goes with her to the elevator, asking three times on the way if he should take the bottle of water she has with her. The third time he asks is when they arrive outside the elevator, and Hannah just glances at him as if she wants to know if he is aware of that he asked her that already.

The elevator finally arrives, door sliding open and Hannah steps in on her own. Manager Lee says he will go wait outside, but he leans in to press the right floor for Hannah. going outside, meaning he is going out to smoke, so Hannah just nods and thanks him for pressing the button for her.

There is a woman at the corner of the elevator, and Hannah automatically stands by the other end. Just as the doors are closed, Hannah gives the woman a glance. She thought she heard something. Then the sound comes again. Is the woman crying? Hannah looks straight ahead, listening careful. Yes, she is crying.

Hannah leans slightly forward to try look at the woman, seeing that she is indeed crying.

“Are you okay?” Hannah quietly asks, holding out a tissue that she took from her jacket pocket. She has more tissues there. The woman gives a glance at her, nods but accepts the tissue, a tiny voice thanking her. The woman pats her tears away with the tissue but doesn’t say anything more, so Hannah doesn’t pry.

Without another word, the woman gets off on the next floor and Hannah the floor after. She is confused over the woman, wondering why she was crying and if Hannah did wrong by not asking if she wants to talk about it. Her confusion continues when sitting down to do the interview, meeting the staff she met a few hours ago when they were going through the questions. The first question they ask was nothing they discussed a few hours ago though.

“What?” Hannah blinks.

“The woman you just met, she is a trainee,” the interviewer repeats with a smile to Hannah.

While he explains to her, Hannah leans back in the chair and smiles around at the staff. It was a prank. A prank to see how she reacts to a crying woman in the elevator. Hannah leans on the table when realising it was just a setup, a camera outside the elevator downstairs as well as upstairs, and two cameras in the elevator. She saw the cameras, she always know there is a camera in the elevator so that wasn’t unusual. The reason she didn’t react was because there was no lamp on the cameras to show they were recording; the staff covered them up with simple tape. Tricked. She can’t believe it.

“Why did you ask if she was alright?”

A simple question, according to the interviewer, but Hannah finds herself looking confused at him. He asks it again, as if she doesn’t understand the language.

“Uh…” Hannah says while breathing in, wondering how to answer that question without sounding rude. “Because she was crying…?”

They laugh at her answering, seeming surprised over how simple her logic is. The best part comes next though; Hannah gets to go to the other room, where they monitor what is going on in the elevator. The other three members are going to go through the exact same thing.

It is the best thing she sees all week.

Kai is after Hannah, his eyes stuck on his phone when getting in the elevator and he even forgets to press the floor button until the doors are closed. Because he keeps looking down at his phone he doesn’t realise the woman in the elevator is crying. He doesn’t hear her sob at first either, but when he does, his whole face looks terrified. He looks at the wall, then back on his phone and looks so awkward until she has left the elevator. Poor soul, Hannah thinks, smiling widely. She stays in the room while the interviewer goes to the other one to interview Kai and ask what he just experienced. Kai laughs loudly, she can hear him through the wall and he laughs more when coming to the room Hannah is in. They laugh when seeing each other and he asks how she did, taking a seat next to her and they mostly just laugh while waiting for the third member. Everything is being filmed.

Taemin does it completely different when it is his turn. As soon as he is about to get on, he seems to notice her. it is either the woman or the fact that she is crying that makes him hesitate, but Hannah and Kai burst out laughing seeing him hesitate to even get on the elevator. Taemin almost faces the wall the whole time she is on the elevator, and when the woman gets off he looks around, spotting that there is an extra camera in the elevator.

“He knows it’s a prank,” Kai chuckles.

And it’s true. Taemin does his interview, saying that it was weird that a random woman was crying in the elevator like that. First, he thought it could be a prank, and he was convinced when seeing the extra camera in the elevator. Nine years in the industry does that, he says.

Both Hannah and Kai raises a hand when Taemin joins them, receiving high fives.

Finally, it is Ana’s turn. Taemin jokes and says that Ana will probably cry with the woman. They are quiet watching Ana get on the elevator next to the woman, taking just a few seconds before hearing the sobbing. The room fills out with laughter seeing Ana awkwardly bite her lip and look elsewhere, having absolutely no clue at what to do with a crying stranger next to her.

It becomes the funniest interview they have done together because by opening it up with a prank, the friends are laughing when later doing the interview they had prepared for. Whenever Kai lowers his head or chuckles, Hannah starts giggling or she touches his arm for him to stop, half of the time Taemin starts smiling too. Kai is the source of their laughter, because he keeps reminding them whenever he makes a sound, that they just were pranked.

Heading back downstairs, they are laughing and sharing their feelings to each other in the elevator, pointing out what the others did and simply said making fun of each other.

What’s left at KBS is their performance of [I Did It For Love], then they have a radio program and a pre-recording for next week’s The Show. First week is always the toughest.

Getting ready for their performance, Kai puts his hands on Taemin’s shoulders, massaging them weirdly.

“What about Ana?” Kai wonders, as everyone but Ana are heading to the stage.

“We just saw her on stage, idiot,” Taemin chuckles at him. “Ana is the MC here.”

Hannah turns around with a smile at them. “You look nervous,” she tells Kai.

Taemin turns around to look at him too, repeating what Hannah said. Kai frowns and takes away his hands from Taemin, saying he isn’t nervous.

“Are you tired?” Hannah asks him.

“Why are you asking him that?” Taemin pushes her arm, “All of us are tired.”

“Keep walking,” Taemin’s manager says behind them.

Hannah pushes Taemin’s shoulder before hurrying her steps to get some distance from him. They are like a bunch of kids. Even when waiting next to the stage do they make each other laugh by reaching around behind each other to touch their arm, pretending someone else did it. Most of the time it doesn’t work, Hannah gets caught every time, for example. One time, Kai is standing behind her, reaches over her to touch one of the dancers on the shoulder, and the dancer turns around to look at Hannah. If Kai hadn’t laughed so much, he would probably have gotten away with it even when Hannah pointed him out.

On stage, it’s as it usually is. They do their performance without problem and then get off the stage to wait for the ending. They go to wait with the other idols in the corridor and room next to the hall for Highlight’s performance to be done before they will go back on stage.

Hannah is smiling at Kai who pulls off his jacket, sweating from their performance. Taemin leans towards Kai, whispering something to him while smiling and then leans over to Hannah, still smiling.

“Ana made a mistake,” he gladly shares with them. Ana has gone back to her post as the MC but the three of them are smiling as Taemin shares the mistake she had done during their performance.

When it is time to get up on stage, a staff member points at Hannah when they are heading up, telling her to stand at the front. Twice and Hannah are up for first place this week, Twice’s [Signal] and Hannah’s [Just Like Fire]. It’s been a month since her song came out yet it is still at TOP5 on every music chart in the country. Hannah steps up on the stage and turns around, taking a whole turn because kai and Taemin sneak up to go to the back and she quickly touches Taemin’s arm.

“Where are you going?” she whispers and motions with her hand for them to come to the front.

“Eh, why?” Taemin grimaces, standing still but pushes Kai to head to the back, almost pushing him into someone else.

“Don’t leave me alone,” Hannah answers. She smiles when members of Seventeen walk up. They are busy waving to the crowd that is cheering on all the idols coming on stage. Kai apologizes to the person he almost bumped into and steps back to push Taemin towards Hannah, more than gladly to join Hannah at the front. Taemin wants to go to the back though, because that is where VIXX are.

Ana and her male co-host comes up on stage, doing well by bowing to the idols already there and Ana happily tell her fellow Musketeers to stand with her. a staff member tells Hannah to stand between the two hosts, because she is the only nominee there, but then tells her to stand next to the two hosts instead as it will look better on camera. They step back and forth while FT Island’s comeback stage is coming to an end, everyone getting ready for the cameras to roll. Taemin smiles like an idiot as he stands a bit behind between Ana and Hannah, getting caught on both cameras that films them while Kai is standing behind Hannah, smirking when seeing what Taemin does and Hannah turns to give them a smile for the same reason.

Being in the focus with Taemin and kai behind her is the worst decision she has ever made. She should’ve let them go to the back because all she can see while Ana and her co-host are talking are Taemin and Kai unable to stop charming the camera that is filming. The camera focuses on Ana and her co-host first while they are talking, then the camera switches to Hannah and Twice as the winner of this week is counted. Hannah want to laugh seeing Taemin lean a bit to the side to get more visible in this camera, and Kai is next to him just smiling too.

“And this week’s first place winner is…” the male host says before the winner is shown.

Ana starts cheering in surprise instead of saying the name of the winner and Hannah covers her ears because Taemin and Kai both raises their hands to cheer too, and she thought they were going to hit her or something.

“Unnie, congratulations,” Ana says in the microphone while handing over the trophy.

“Please say a few words,” her co-host suggests. Ana hands Hannah her microphone, laughing behind her free hand because the two behind them are still cheering. It is the 12th win for [Just Like Fire] if you combine all the weekly music programs wins, which is a big achievement. Hannah is speechless at first, hoping those watching will think she is waiting for the strange noises around her to calm down before she talks.

She says the usual, first thanking everyone for listening to [Just Like Fire] though she isn’t promoting the song, then thanks the people behind it, the staff and agency, keeping it short but it is enough and she gives the microphone back to Ana so she can finish the show.

Hannah is smiling widely when turning to Kai and Taemin, having the flowers by her chin so she can try hide how happy she is. Tired from not sleeping for two days but happy, maybe a bit too happy just because she is tired. Still, she does not forget to bow to the idols on stage and turn around to bow to the audience that has cheered well today. Her encore stage is about to begin so a staff member struggles to go through the other idols on the stage to hand her a microphone.

“Thank you,” Hannah smiles to him.

“Well done,” Taemin pats her on the back. She grimaces at his voice, hearing him try to sound cool.

“Well done,” someone else repeats in an obvious imitation of Taemin’s darker voice and Taemin grimaces at Highlight’s Gikwang.

It is just a joke. Taemin’s grimace turns into a smile, about to say to Gikwang that his imitation is strange but the music begins to play in the hall, meaning it is time for the encore stage. Hannah will be left alone on stage. Gikwang as well as Doojoon who leans over behind him, both pats her on the shoulder, seeming like they are congratulating her for hard work rather than getting first place. Hannah is bowing to her co-workers when she is supposed to start singing, smiling and bowing again as she spots FT Island’s Jonghun among the others. Honggi doesn’t come up to her but she can see him give her two thumbs up while walking next to the other members of Highlight and FT Island to go down the stage.

Hannah bows again to the idols before starting to sing towards the audience with a smile. It is awkward with most of the idols still on stage while she is singing, like Seventeen bowing and waving behind her waiting to go down. For the same part that they always sing along to, the audience does again this time. Hannah sings with them just a few words before she is smiling widely again, because she can hear those that still haven’t left the stage are singing along.

The cameras are turned off, the show has ended, but the encore continues and the audience are still singing for the chorus. Hannah bows more times between the singing, missing some of the words in the songs

Please log in to read the full chapter