pretty charismatic

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Working with one of the world’s best producers is too much for her. Hannah is too nervous to even swallow correctly and her head is hurting from the pressure of doing this. Going to New York with the ladies for Fashion Week was big for her, but to go to Sweden without the ladies and having to record with these amazing people, Hannah can’t relax.

As everyone stepped outside for a smoke, one going to bring some coffee, Hannah is left in the studio with her crew. She is hugging on to Manager Lim’s arm like a baby, whining from the headache and pressure and from wanting to go home after a few hours in Sweden. Hyekyung is telling her some words, trying to help her relax and enjoy the moment, but Hannah is just feeling herself panicking from how badly she just sang in front of Max Martin and his crew.

Max Martin comes back first, telling Hannah that they can get coffee in the kitchen if they want it, letting her translate it for the others to know. As the producer had walked inside the studio Hannah let go of Manager Lim’s arm so she is just sitting tailor in the sofa, facing her manager and having her hand on his arm. She must look to lack a lot of confidence, she thinks.

“It’s hard, isn’t it?” he asks her.

Hannah nods. “I like it, but it’s hard to sing,” she tells him, embarrassed that he might think she doesn’t like it.

“Don’t think of it like that. Just listen to the music and sing with it,” Max tells her. He takes his seat and reaches over to press a button, the music starting to play again.

“Read the lyrics,” Hyekyung suggests in Korean for her, understanding that the Swedish producer is trying to help her out.

She can’t help but to sigh when picking up the paper to read the lyrics. After some seconds she can hear Max starting to sing along to the song, and she starts to lowly sing it too. She is sitting comfortably in the sofa, feeling small facing her manager while looking at the lyrics and singing it. For the chorus she looks up at Max, seeing him take it from his feet when singing out, her own voice disappears.

What she would want to do is groan and moan to ease the pressure in her body, showing bad habits that she has, but what she does is lean back a bit to start singing to the ceiling. Instead of letting her feelings out in groans, she sings it in the song. Before the chorus comes next time, she does some adlibs to raise her voice, preparing herself to sing out for the chorus.

The song comes to an end and Max is looking weirdly at her.

“Do it again just like that,” he comments and starts playing the song again. Mr. Bear tells Hannah to stand up, obviously because it is easier to sing standing.

She gets on her feet and steps away to the corner next to the sofa, starting to sing in a deep voice, glancing over at Max who starts nodding his head to the music. There is less people in the room and she is starting to relax. Instead of reading the lyrics, she sings it, glancing at it to not sing the wrong words but she is more relaxed. The door is opened though, for a second her voice lowers before she continues, seeing two of the staff members come inside with their cup of coffee, quietly taking their seats.

Max raises his hand when the chorus comes and Hannah sings out.

“Raspy,” Max calls out at her and he gives out a laugh when she changes her way to sing. Thumbs up.

A bit more relaxed, but they still have a long way to go. Hyekyung says it is good they now know she can do it, now it is just to direct and start working. One of the things they have to do is to translate the lyrics. They all want to keep the content and meaning of the English lyrics, but it’s not like they can just translate it because it is two completely different languages. First, Hannah must nail the English version.

They work on that for some time before wrapping up for the day. That is, wrapping up in the studio, because Hannah and her crew head to the hotel to start prepping for a Korean version. They have the demo with them and gathers in one of their hotel rooms.

Four hours later, Hannah is sitting on the floor in the hotel room, hitting her hand on her leg while singing the Korean lyrics they have prepared so far. Hyekyung is sitting by the desk in the room, nodding his head and listening to how it sounds. Mr. Bear, the vocal coach, is sitting in the armchair by the corner, listening with his whole head very focused. One of the camera-men is in the room as well, filming Hannah by sitting at the end of the bed she is leaning her back against.

Hannah helplessly leans her head back against the bed when stopping to sing, tired as they have worked on this for a few hours now. Her voice will be gone when she goes back to Korea.

“It’s tricky,” Hyekyung agrees with her though Hannah didn’t say anything.

“Are we changing the last line?” Hannah wonders as that is what they are thinking over and she holds up her head to look at the lyrics they have been working on.

“Uh… I’m not sure.” Hyekyung scratches his head before he is lowly singing it himself to hear again how it sounds. "Let’s put a question-mark on it for now and move on."

She nods and marks the line before she starts singing the next part in English for them to keep going.

After half an hour, she is on her knees leaning over the bed, feeling that she has absolutely no energy at all. In Korea it is already morning while here it is in the middle of the night.

“I’m hungry,” Hannah comments, smiling as she sees the camera-man is filming her.

“We could order something to eat,” Hyekyung mentions.

Hannah grimaces and sits up with a pout. “I can’t eat at this hour, Oppa. I’m on a strict training schedule,” she reminds him. “You can order if you want anything.”

“You have to eat well for your voice to come out in this song,” Hyekyung reminds her.

“I’ll eat a big breakfast,” Hannah answers and hugs on to her stomach. “Are you hungry?”

“Are you going to stay up all night?” the camera-man wonders, not sure whether he should eat or go to sleep. Hannah bites her lip when looking at Hyekyung and Mr. Bear. Hyekyung shakes his head, saying that they will be easier on the lyrics to complete it for now but that they will probably change it when Hannah is recording in the studio.

“We are going to sing it to Max as a draft before recording, because even if he doesn’t understand what I am singing, he will get the translations and hear how it sounds. If he isn’t satisfied, we’ll change it,” Hannah explains to both the camera-man and the camera.

“Hannah is pressured,” Hyekyung smilingly points out to the camera-man. “She wants to do well as a representative of 5 Pieces and SM Entertainment.”

“Oppa too,” she grimaces at him,

“Me too, yes.”

Before continuing, Hyekyung prepares coffee, Mr. Bear prepares tea for himself and a different kind for Hannah that is good for and the camera-man is eating chips. Hannah sips on her tea, standing up and starting to sing the song in the Korean lyrics they have been writing. Most of the time she sings it from beginning to the part they are working on, to grasp the feeling and to learn it or if there is something they notice should be changed. It is difficult to translate the lyrics and get the same meanings out but in Korean, especially since it is a hard song. And some words are in English, because that is how K-Pop works.

They work until they are satisfied with the Korean lyrics, going to bed at half past two in the morning.

Hannah doesn’t leave her hotel room until close to eleven the next day. It is chilly outside, it was snowing during the night, so Hannah has dressed in a big sweater and leggings when leaving her room. The team meets up in the lobby, waiting until everyone is gathered. They have about two and a half hour to spare before they are going to the studio, so yesterday they had decided to go see Stockholm. Instead of saying they have planned to go shopping, they have planned to go look at the buildings and get the feel of Sweden’s capital. Though Hannah is in her home-country, she only visited the capital a few times when she was a kid, and with 5 Pieces they have only taken the van going from one interview to another.

Dressed up warmly with scarves and jackets, they walk around by the water, down the streets. It is crowded at certain places because it is lunch time and Saturday, so families are out shopping, friends are hanging out and there are no school so young kids are walking around as well. Yet, Hannah walks freely. She was nervous at first because last time she went to Sweden she was recognized on the train, but today, no one seems to recognize her. It’s nice. Manager Lim gets to relax too, not having to worry that they must go back to the hotel but able to view the city as well.

Then they head to the studio, the same place they went to yesterday in the middle of nowhere. Hannah is looking through the lyrics and listening to the demo on the way but she is saving her voice to when they will be recording. She is nervous again.

Meeting Max and his crew today, Hannah is nervous all over. She is supposed to show him the lyrics, to read the Korean and translate it for them to understand how they have turned the lyrics in the Korean language. She does that, but she is stuttering and not finding the right words though she knows what she is reading. It is very awkward for her. From the English lyrics, they made Korean lyrics, and now Hannah is translating it back to English because Swedish is awkward and Max said it is alright. It isn’t easy being a translator. They let her sing the Korean version to see how it sounds, goes through the lyrics a bit more and before Max says she can go inside the booth, they have dinner.

For the rest of Saturday as well as Sunday, that is what they do; record the song. Hannah thought creating the lyrics was hard, but recording is twice as hard. Max is not easy to please and though he praises her voice a lot, he knows how he wants the song to sound like. Hannah finds that she is used to have a producer tell her to do the same part repeatedly, it’s nothing different this time so for that, she is comfortable. She just answers ‘yes’ and repeats it after the directives she is given. Her voice gets tired and they take a break often, Hannah taking a seat next to Manager Lim to drink the special tea she has been drinking for the past year (because it helps ) and rest her voice while the others are talking.

While it is a tough weekend in the studio, she learns a lot. On Sunday early morning when coming back to the hotel, she talks to Jonghyun over the chat, about him getting some rest after the Osaka concert some days ago and Hannah’s experience working with a legend. Wrapping up in the studio at four in the morning, they wrapped up their time in Stockholm. They went to the hotel, slept for a few hours and got out to enjoy the last hours in the country before taking the flight to Seoul.

 

Arriving in Seoul around three in the afternoon, Hannah heads home for an hour before she heads out to go for her combat training, the fifth one. Maria went to Italy the day before for a magazine shoot, the two ladies missing out on each other completely. After that Hannah has finished the combat training late in the evening, she heads home to wash up, unpack and go through her schedule for the rest of the week.

Sitting by the kitchen table in the apartment, wearing a long tee as nightwear, Hannah is leaning over some papers, her phone and calendar book. She has the loudspeaker on, talking to Manager Lee about her schedule, doing some planning and exchange information. It is half past two in the morning but they are not in a hurry. It was actually her manager who called, guessing she is awake because Jonghyun is doing his radio. That was an hour ago though; they are still on the phone.

When Jonghyun comes home, Hannah finishes up on the phone, agreeing with Manager Lee that they will do the rest tomorrow.

“Jonghyun~” she sings out when leaving her seat to take the few steps inside the hall, smiling her widest seeing Jonghyun hang off his jacket. In a grey hoodie and jeans, he looks like he always does when finishing up after his radio. The night before he had taken his time to go home, he had stayed behind and talked with the staff a bit, but tonight; Hannah is back so he hurries home.

“Nabi~” Jonghyun sings back to her and laughs seeing Hannah hold out her arms for a hug. “You missed me a lot.”

It isn’t a question. Hannah starts laughing too at his statement and leans her head back happily when he steps closer to put his arms around her. She did miss him.

“What were you doing?” Jonghyun tiredly mumbles before pressing his lips against her cheek. He feels like a puppy who needs cuddling, the two of them holding on to each other tightly. “Who were you talking to?”

“Ji Young Oppa. We were talking about my schedule,” Hannah answers his two questions.

“You’re busy this week?” he wonders.

Hannah nods her head. “I’m going to spend the weekend in Japan for Emelia’s concert.” Not really busy but she won’t be in Korea much. One rare weekend when Jonghyun will be in Korea, and she will be abroad, she can see on his face-expression that it is what he is thinking.

Somehow they go into different rooms after hugging for some time. Jonghyun in his workroom and Hannah is packing her things on the kitchen table. Just twelve hours ago she landed in Korea; she is exhausted. After putting away her things, she goes to see what Jonghyun is doing.

He is sitting on his chair with tablet in his lap, focused on fixing some lyrics, it looks like. Hannah quietly asks if he is going to stay up for long while she walks up behind him. Her hands reach out to touch his hair when she stands behind him, like always loving to take her fingers from his neck and up through his hair. Jonghyun stays still but gives out a sound that tells her to continue; he likes it. He doesn’t answer her question though.

“What are you working on?” she lowly wonders, looking out next to his head.

“A few songs…” Jonghyun mumbles, scanning his lyrics for a few seconds before holding the tablet up. “Which looks the best, this or this one?”

He points at two lines suggestions, lowly singing the two versions for her. Hannah is still playing with his hair, mumbling that she likes both, hearing him sing the two versions again before Hannah says the second one gives a better feeling to the song. Jonghyun keeps working and Hannah keeps playing with his hair, both lost in their own thing though she finds herself sneaking a peak at what he is doing at times.

“Aren’t you tired?” Hannah mumbles, dropping her hands down on his shoulders so she can peck his head. She wants to go to bed, but not alone.

“Mm,” he lowly answers and Hannah sighs by his head when letting her hands down his chest, resting slightly against him. “I’ll come to bed soon.”

Hannah pouts though she knows he can’t see it. She rubs her palms over his chest before standing up straight, her hands on his shoulders again. “I’ll go to bed all by myself then,” she mutters to him, her tone showing that she is upset. They don’t get to meet each other much so she had hoped he wouldn’t be too busy now when they both are home.

Just as she is about to drop her hands from his shoulders, Jonghyun leans his head back to smile at her.

“You mad?” he charmingly asks and takes the hand on his shoulder. He gives the back of her hand a light peck.

“No,” Hannah mutters but his smile says he knows she is mad. He looks at her adorably while lightly pulling her hand for her to walk around his chair.

“You say no, which means you will get mad the second you walk out of here, right?” Jonghyun says with that smile of his looking up at Hannah.

She starts frowning with her pout as she doesn’t know where he is going with this, her heart fluttering just by having him hold her hand so lightly. As soon as he directs her to sit on his lap, Hannah takes back her hand and rolls her eyes, asking what he is doing; she stays standing.

“Come,” Jonghyun answers and pats his lap. He puts the tablet on the table and smiles at her.

“Finish what you were doing,” she nods at the tablet, not stepping closer to him.

Jonghyun bites his lip at how stubborn she is and leans forward to take her wrist, pulling her closer again. “I might allow some distraction,” he points out while reaching out for her other wrist. But even when pulling her closer and closer, Hannah doesn’t sit down on his lap; instead she just leans over his legs until her face is right in front of his.

“You want me to distract you?” she wonders while already knowing the answer. She thinks of one thing she can do.

“You think you can do that?” Jonghyun smirks. “I won’t sway easily.”

He is playing games; Hannah thinks as she stands up in front of him. She thinks of just leaving the room, not joining the game, but at the same time she finds it funny. Will he play hard to get?

“I’ll go to bed alone then,” Hannah simply says and shrugs her shoulder, starting to head to the door. She doesn’t see Jonghyun’s shoulders sink by the thought she is still upset at him, but after she has taken a few steps, Hannah starts pulling up her long tee. He swallows when seeing her underwear and leaves his chair when seeing she is still pulling the tee further up but she is out the room, so he follows.

Hannah spins around with a wide smile in the living-room when hearing him stumble behind her. She only pulled the tee up to her s

Please log in to read the full chapter