life as an author

Youngest of Pieces: Five Becomes One (13)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The second day in Sweden is half-work and half-fun. The first half of the day is just fun. Hannah and her crew slept at Maria’s parents’ house. Hannah shared room with Maria, sharing a bed even, while Sung Hyo and Chae Hwan got to share another room and Manager Lee slept on the sofa. While Hannah gets up at eight, Maria doesn’t get up until closer to ten. By then, Hannah has gotten her makeup done.

Hannah gets dressed in high heels, tights, a black A-line dress that is a bit loose, a leather jacket and a green-black scarf hanging down. Maria, on the other hand, puts her hair up in a bun instead of washing it, dresses up in a pair of white jeans, an ivory top and a long light pink coat that she has ordered from Milan.

While Maria has spent almost three weeks in Sweden, she hasn’t done much. She did some online shopping, she has watched a lot of TV, spent a lot of time with her family doing all from eating together, playing games and just hanging out. Her vacation seems like a true vacation; not doing anything. She has done well hiding from the public, saying there is not a single picture taken of her lurking around on the internet. Some school girls had taken her picture when he visited her sister’s job one day but they didn’t upload it anywhere it seems like.

Two members of 5 Pieces are together, going to meet a third. Maria is laughing in the car. Her older sister is driving them, having Manager Lee sit at the front while Maria is sitting in Hannah’s lap to have Chae Hwan and Sung Hyo also fit in the five-seated car.

“I’ve been here for a couple of weeks but haven’t seen her even once,” Maria is saying while she laughs, saying it in Korean before telling her sister the same in Swedish.

“And people go around saying 5 Pieces is inseparable,” Sung Hyo jokes.

“She’s busy. I texted her once but she said she’ll call when she has the time. That was like two weeks ago,” Maria explains. “But her art gallery was written nicely about in the newspaper, it even appeared on the TV-news at the opening.”

Carolina has made a dream come true; even if it is only for a few months, she has opened her own art gallery. The city has a charity hall where artists can have their galleries for a specific period. Paintings, sculptures, movies, theatre; there is a lot of things there. Carolina is the artistic member of 5 Pieces, the lady you can imagine sitting with paint on her fingers and wipe her forehead so some green paint is smeared out, a pleasant look on her face as he is creating a painting no one else understands. When it comes to art, when it comes to music, Carolina is a self-taught student. She has an eye for how she moves her fingers whether it comes to painting or playing an instrument, the kind of lady that you get jealous of because she is a natural talent. When the other ladies struggled to learn how to sing, Carolina learned it much faster. She learned Korean so quick that they even thought she was good enough to have her own radio program. Playing an instrument, learning a new language; Carolina can do it all if she has the will for it.

And now she has opened an art gallery. Rather than coming to Sweden to rest like Maria, Carolina has worked very hard to open this gallery over the winter. So, it is exciting for the ladies to go see it.

They go there before lunch, all six of them going to visit Carolina.

Maria’s hair was blonde before but now it is auburn brunette. She said she wanted to suit the cold winter by having darker hair. Carolina is still in her natural brown dye, wearing a green knitted sweater and a wine-red skirt to a pair of leggings. A thick scarf is around her neck, looking like she is dressed for the winter weather.

When getting together, Carolina open her arms as if she is going to hug them tightly, but ends up just pecking every single one of them on the cheek. She says that is what a woman did to her last week; a foreigner who came to look at Carolina’s art during the visit to the town.

At first, Carolina lets them walk around on their own. It lasts for about two minutes before she wants to talk about everything. After half-an-hour she is stuck next to Sung Hyo and Hannah, the only two that are letting her go into details of the making of her paintings and sculptures. For a section of the gallery, Carolina has only used garbage to create a building and figures, a whole landscape. She worked with university students to create a short film about it too, having saved the project for the gallery. There is even a sign next to it, explaining the collaboration between Carolina and the university.

5 Pieces’ Carolina is a master of garbage art, apparently.

They have lunch together before it is time for Hannah to work. The security team of three meets up with them, driving them out to the mall where Hannah’s book signing is taking place.

After spending one and a half day as Hannah, it is a bit weird arriving at the mall and suddenly be an author. Not just an author but a member of 5 Pieces. The mall is crowded. It’s three in the afternoon, in the middle of the week, but the place is crowded. There are police cars outside and even more security inside, keeping an eye on the crowd. The three security men with Hannah have one job; keep Hannah safe. The others are in charge of keeping an eye on the crowd. Manager Lee doesn’t leave her side once they walk inside the mall, taking a staff entrance to not make a crowd by any of the mall’s main entrances.

It’s loud when Hannah gets spotted. Teens, children, women and men, she even spot people in their sixties are gathered at the big space where it has been prepared for Hannah to be. A table, a wallpaper behind it of her book and a red band to keep the space free from the crowd. It’s difficult to approach it but once Hannah is inside the red band, even Hannah is at ease and can smile up at the crowd. They scream loudly, hands up in the air are waving to her. It feels more like a fan signing for 5 Pieces than a book signing, though the people in front of her are holding her book in their hands.

Hannah looks around her, looking for a microphone on the table but there is none so she turns around, looking at a woman and kindly asks her if there is a microphone for her to use.

“Oh, right, this one,” the woman remembers and holds out what she held in her hand. The woman has introduced Hannah, explaining how the book signing will go on like and asking for everyone’s cooperation to make it a successful event.

With the microphone in hand, Hannah can smile at the crowd again.

“Good afternoon,” she awkwardly says in Swedish and laughs at herself while the crowd screams ‘hello’ in response. “Hello everyone. I think half of the city is here, why is there so many people?”

A lot of people are apparently from other cities, having waited here the whole day to not miss the opportunity.

“Uh… The book signing will begin shortly. But before that, could you start lining up on this side, only those with the book and ticket, please? Those without book and ticket, please give some space,” Hannah continues to say.

She has Manager Lee on one side, two security guards below the small platform and the third security guard at the other side. The woman is in charge of the book signing in this mall, she is standing on Hannah’s left side, asking Hannah to please take a seat. With Hannah sitting down, the woman squats down next to her to explain again how they will do it, though Hannah is aware of how book signings go like. It’s not exactly her first time.

A bottle of water is put on the table, there are a few pens for her to use when signing, otherwise it is a pretty empty table. Hannah leans her arms on it, holding her legs together under the table though there is a sign covering the other side; to give her legs some privacy. The crowd in front of her keeps being loud, some cheering, some calling her name, others asking questions or just commenting things.

Sung Hyo is doing some work on the outside, walking around with a camera Hannah had with her. It is small and handy and is used to film Hannah as an author; they don’t know what they are filming to but during this book tour Hannah has been told to film. She hasn’t filmed during her free time in Sweden so Sung Hyo is the first one to be filming. She will be filming around in the crowd and she will go up next to the band to film Hannah up a bit closer. When the book signing begins, she tries to focus more on Hannah.

The first person stepping up in front of Hannah is a woman in her twenties, right away asking Hannah what she has been doing since she came home. Some fans know Hannah was here yesterday, seeing pictures taken of her leaving Korea the day before, so Hannah doesn’t look surprised at the question.

“I have … been relaxing with my friends,” Hannah answers, looking from the woman down to her book and up again while signing.

“Have you met Carolina? Or Maria?” the woman is curious to know.

Hannah simply gives her a nod.

“I adore the fact that you mention 5 Pieces in every book you have released,” the woman comments and leans down to be heard better, “In the ‘dedicated to’. I love it, really.”

“The ladies are as supportive as my readers so they are important to mention in the dedication,” Hannah tells her with a huge smile, handing her the book. At first, Hannah thought the woman is a fan of 5 Pieces, but as she mentions ‘dedicated to’, Hannah thinks it is a reader of her books too.

The next person has four books she wants signed. It is a girl who must be a young teenager, maybe thirteen or fourteen, and she looks like she has been crying.

“Hello,” Hannah gives her a smile and takes the first book. Four books which is the first, second, third and the newest book of ‘Joe’. A staff member is opening the right page next to Hannah, sliding the books to Hannah so Manager Lee has taken a step back to let the staff member do her job.

“Hi… I, this,” the girl says in a low voice and hands over a handwritten paper to Hannah, having to step closer to the table as she didn’t dare getting too close at first. It’s folded once but Hannah can see it is filled with words.

“Woah, what have you written?” Hannah sounds a bit surprised when accepting the paper, only giving it a glance before looking at the girl.

“Don’t read it now,” the girl is quick to say and covers her hand over the paper for Hannah to not read.

“I won’t. I will read it later, okay?” Hannah says, watching the girl take back her hand as Hannah puts the letter to the side. “Have you read ‘Joe’?”

She nods. For a few seconds, Hannah wonders if the girl will say anything or if Hannah will ask her another question. Hannah finishes signing the first book before the girl gets out a word.

“I was wondering…” the girl starts to say. She looks like a ten-year-old when her lower lip is pouting and her gaze lowers when Hannah stops signing the second book to focus on her.

“Take a deep breath,” Hannah suggests when seeing the girl struggling to find her words.

“I was wondering if you always wanted to be an author?” the girl asks in a shaky voice, barely daring to look up at Hannah. “Did you always know you want to write?”

Hannah says ‘aaah’ when she gets the question and simply shakes her head. “I have been writing for as long I can remember, as a hobby, but I didn’t want to be an author until I read the Harry Potter books. Do you know what you want to do later?”

The girl shakes her head. “I don’t know,” she answers.

“Don’t look so sad about it,” Hannah comforts the girl, holding out her hand to touch the girl’s hand. “That means you can try a lot of things and search for something you want to do, right? It’s not about finding what you want to do as fast as possible, you know, it’s more about getting there.”

The girl takes her other hand to wipe her face with her sleeve and Hannah lets go of her hand to not hold her down. Manager Lee mutters behind Hannah for her to keep signing the books.

“Did you go to school today?” Hannah asks the girl when signing one of the books, glancing from the girl to the book.

“Yes. My mom drove me here.” The girl is quietly watching Hannah sign the books, but when the last book is being signed the girl gets all restless and starts wiping her tears again. “I love your books so much. And you. I love you.”

Hannah smiles up at the girl as she last book is signed, closing the book. “I’m really glad to have met you,” Hannah tells her, “Remember to not rush for the future, alright? Take your time to enjoy it.”

The girl nods, about to step to the side but they hear a woman further away call out ‘remember a hug, hug’. It is the girl’s mother reminding her to ask for a hug. Hannah laughs when realising it and she leans over the table to give the girl a hug. When the girl finally steps down, Hannah sees her mother give her a hug too. It looks like the girl bursts out into tears again.

Sweden has a lot of fans. There is all kind of fans, all from those that want details about the book, wanting to know when the next one will come out as they are curious to know what will happen next, then there are fans who are fans of 5 Pieces and are checking out her book or found out she is an author just recently and so on. Everyone is nice though, some are crying and there is a teenager who must be a fan of makeup YouTube videos because her makeup is extreme. That teenager catches Hannah’s attention because she is a great talker, talking quick but clear and she seems like that good student who knows it all and always is on time. She is adorable, Hannah thinks, probably because the teenager is talking details about a character’s development in the book series, and she asks Hannah which character she had the hardest time to write.

Usually, book signings are an hour or one and a half, but Hannah takes pictures, hugs, signs more than one book most times so she is there for almost three hours. For the short break, Hannah just stands up and answers some random questions from the crowd, again being asked about 5 Pieces, so Hannah says the ladies are resting up well.

Dinner takes place at Emelia’s parents’ house and then it is time to head to the capital of Sweden to continue the book tour.

 

Hannah is holding the camera when walking through the airport, laughing because she is trying to turn the camera on and just in that moment she stumbles on her own feet that the first few seconds the camera films is the floor suddenly getting a bit closer along with Hannah saying ‘oh ’. She and Chae Hwan are laughing at the sudden stumble though it was a brief one.

Turning the camera around, Hannah films herself smiling widely.

“Sorry about that,” she says to the camera. “Uh, we just got off the flight and I got changed to feel a bit fresher as we have been in the air for about four hours, I think.”

She lowers the camera to try film her ivory-grey knitted sweater dress, which isn’t covering enough of her thighs so she is wearing a longer blank tank top underneath, and her feet are styled in a pair of over-the-knee boots.

“My stylist love this look. She said my legs look good in it,” Hannah comments and grimaces at the camera. Filming for something that she doesn’t know but she is used to be in front of the camera so it comes naturally now. “Luckily for me, I don’t have to walk a lot today. I hope. Oh, we’re apparently turning here.”

She turns the camera in her hand, messily catching that Chae Hwan is walking next to her before trying to film the people in front of her.

“That person in the khaki-green jacket,” Hannah says and does her best to zoom in on the man several meters in front of them, “Is Manager Park, who joined us in Helsinki yesterday. He is in charge of English conversations so … I might actually question him in English later to see how good his English actually is.”

After Sweden, Hannah was in Finland yesterday and with the first morning flight she has now arrived in France. Her filming gets a bit shaky when coming to the arrivals doors because while they haven’t had any fans meet them at the airport during this trip, her filming gets a bit shaky in the surprise to see about thirty fans cheer at the sight of her. Hannah turns around to film them behind her as she keeps walking with her crew, signs held up by fans in the back.

Without any security, the fans are surprisingly behaving well today. Even at book signings fans are screaming loudly and pushing forward but these fans are just following with some distance, asking what Hannah is filming, saying she is pretty, asking if she is staying for long, welcoming her back and so on. They ask for pictur

Please log in to read the full chapter