Chapter 40

Like Romeo And Juliet

 

 
What do you wear to a night at the amusement park to celebrate the end of our summer before senior year? That, my friends, it the unanswered question. Though, the other question was why I cared about what I wore. That’s simple enough to answer. I needed something that could withstand the possible heat and sweat of excitement. But I needed something light; after all, this was an amusement park and its best to bring fewer items that you won’t lose and not wear to many layers. For some reason, amusement parks - no matter what the temperature is that day - are always bustling and that is what makes it so damn warm. But the most important thing is to bring something with lots of pockets or pockets with big spaces and zippers and shoes. Shoes are extremely important. I threw on a white t-shirt with a design in the front and one of Kyuhyun’s large red hoodies. I embraced his scent for a single moment before pulling on a pair of olive cargo pants and kicked my feet into nice, comfy, skate shoes. I slipped my iPod into one of the pockets and my wallet into the other. There, now I had three hours left to do nothing. I skidded to a stop at the bottom of the stairs and headed to the kitchen to grab a snack. I doubt that whatever choice Kyuhyun will choose for the rides, that I’ll be able to keep my food down. Probably pizza that the guys will buy before we even go on a ride or hotdogs that will taste bland. Better to eat now and savor my dinner early, then have a barfing fit later. I popped some microwaveable dinner packages into the microwave and enjoyed the smell of linguine, swarming around the kitchen and enticing my taste buds. Wow, I must be hungry. When it beeped I took it out and placed it on the island counter, grabbing a fork and a ginger ale from the fridge. I brought my dinner to the living room, remembering to late that Mrs. Cho didn’t like having a TV in the living room, sitting room, family room, or any room for that matter. All the TV’s, game systems, and whatever else that was electronic and produced entertainment was in Kyuhyun’s room, his parent’s office, a few guest rooms, or in the basement. The basement had been split up into a home theater, recording studio, game room, and just a lounge to hang out. It was probably meant for Kyuhyun and his friends when they were allowed to come over. I found Kyuhyun curled up on a beanie bag, playing Xbox 360 and for a moment, everything hit me hard, reminding me that both Kyuhyun and I were only seventeen years old. Normal teens wouldn’t be trying to prove their love with extreme tactics or stuck in an arranged marriage. They would be out getting a job, hanging with friends, complaining about their parents and the latest injustice, and then, having one-night stands with one another at a party. Drinking and drugs, all of them I was familiar with.
“Hey,” I nudged Kyuhyun with my foot and he nodded, too focuses on his game. “Whatcha playing?” I asked.
“Uh.”
“I see.” I flopped down one of the worn-out, black leather couches and slumped into position, placing my drink on the stand beside me, watching Kyuhyun play on the big screen, and eating my dinner. After a few moments, he turned to me, pausing his game.
“You’re eating dinner already?”
“Yeah.”
“No pizza or hotdogs then?” I shook my head, taking a sip from my ginger ale.
“How much time do we have left?”
I patted my pockets for my cell phone, which wasn’t there. “Um…I dunno.” Kyuhyun looked at the time on the clock hanging on the wall and I made a metal note to remember to bring my cell phone.
“Hey, Kyuhyun?”
“Hmm?”
“Why do you hate Khun?” He paused and his body stiffened as he thought of a reply. I tried to imagine what his expression looked like.
“I just don’t like him.”
“Why?” He shrugged in reply and un-paused his game, meaning that the conversation was over.
 
~~~*~~~
 
SNSD’s ‘The Boys’ began playing on my iPod and I tried to enjoy it. Seven people were sitting in a van with seven seats. Perfect, except the seating arrangements. Kyuhyun was driving; I was beside him, Khun behind me, glaring a hole into my seat, Sungmin beside him, and Ryeowook, , and Eunhyuk, in that order behind them. Eunhyuk had decided to bring his new ‘friend’ along who was already all over him. Well, he wasn’t fighting. Not with her tight tube top that was too small for her, showing too much cleavage and a small mini skirt with high, high heels to match. How can she even walk? Ryeowook, beside her, seemed disturbed by how her huge fake kept bumping into him. By the way that everything about her looked ty and fake, I’m guessing this was the pop-tart that they were talking about earlier, the girl on Eunhyuk’s phone. This has so far made a show in front of all of us, blinking her sparkly long- lashes at all the attractive guys around her. The perfect heaven, except that there was me. She had already tried to lose me from the group, before I even got into the van. What was she expecting? A five way? . What was entertaining was how pissed she was when she realized right away that none of the guys were interested in her, paying no attention to her like she wasn’t there, but instead, paying all the unwanted attention to me. Kyuhyun and Khun keep having glaring wars and they keep trying to attain my attention from the other. Eunhyuk, Ryeowook, and Sungmin somehow became part of his game, joining in with all-fun intended. This got real pissed. Obviously had a name. I just didn’t bother to remember it. Though I’m pretty sure Eunhyuk didn’t even bother introducing her.
“Hey Yoong?” Eunhyuk smirked, leaning forward and pushing off, “Who’s easier to give a too. Khun or Kyuhyun?”
“Well, it depends on who has the bigger balls,” Sungmin joined in.
“Yeah, but I doubt she has given a to either of them,” Ryeowook added. Wow, new conversation. See what I mean?
“ is too small to give one,” sniffed.
“And your mouths too big,” I added, plucking out an earbud. I heard the three of them trying to stifle their laughter except for Eunhyuk. Khun was still sulking behind me and Kyuhyun’s face was red from embarrassment.
“Oh look,” Sungmin interrupted, “It’s the amusement park~!” Thank god.
 
~~~*~~~
 
It took us fifteen minutes to find an empty space for us to park our van. You could hear people’s screams coming from the rides and laughter somewhere far away. I wasn’t surprised that so many people were still here at 6 PM cause it made sense, being that we only had a week or so till school started. I got out of the car and watched as Eunhyuk got a duffle bag out of the trunk. He winked at me when he saw my curious look. clung onto his arm, glaring at me testily. I wanted to punch her fake nose. Kyuhyun slung an arm around my shoulders playfully, and though he knew I hated that, I was thankful for his warmth and protection. I leaned into him and little and I knew he felt it by the way he leaned in as well. Khun was the only one who didn’t look happy, but he was too distracted by Sungmin’s jumping to pay attention. Ryeowook was busy trying to keep Sungmin in control. Ever wonder what Sungmin would be like if he was drunk? Yeah, me too. We headed into the amusement park, paying, and getting our hands stamped then headed through the crowds of people towards where the food stands were. There were probably hundreds of people here, but it seemed most of the little kids had gone home with their parents and most of the people were teens. Apparently it’s tradition for the Ryeowook, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, and Kyuhyun to buy two large pizza’s and throw in anything in plain sight like peppers, mustards, and so on. gagged in disgust, but stuck close to Eunhyuk either way. Somehow Sungmin convinced Khun to participate.
“Aw~! Come play Kyuhyun!”
Kyuhyun squinted, “Not tonight. God, that looks like utter cow .”
’s face went green. “Excuse me.” I heard a few shrieks coming from the side as barfed on some couples shoes, unable to make it to the garbage in time. When she came back she was looking at her stomach approvingly. “Hey you,” I’m guessing she was addressing me, “Why don’t you go get us some tissues.” I glared at then looked at the guys dirty hands in repulsion. Why not?
I nodded and shuffled through the crowd looking for some tissue paper. There were long lines everywhere and I didn’t feel like waiting just to get some. Hands appeared around my waist and I flinched. Before I could kick at the , he spoke. “Guess who.”
I sighed when I recognized the silky voice. “Don’t scare me.” I could hear Kyuhyun smile and he held onto my hand. “What-”
“The tissues are over there,” he interrupted, leading me to a stand. We took grand fist full’s of tissues and began heading to back to our table. I stopped.
“We’ve been going around in a circle.”
Kyuhyun sighed. “Great, we’re lost. Thanks to my little lucky charm.” I nudged him in the side as he smiled. “Jokes, Yoong. Here, I’ll call them.” I calmed and watched as he took out his cell phone. He frowned.
“What? No signal?”
He shook his head, sliding his phone back in his pocket, “Nah, out of batteries. Where’s your phone.” I reached into my pocket and paled as I remembered that I had left it at home. Still I checked my pockets just in case. He groaned, “You forgot it.” I blushed and shrugged as a reply. He sighed and frustratingly raked back his hair and I watched as it fell back over his eyes anyways. He breathed out. “Come on. Let’s go search for them.” I didn’t argue but I would have if I knew that we would spend most of our night searching for our little group. Kyuhyun kept checking his phone as if it would magically turn on but there were still no batteries. We finally stopped when we arrived at the end of the park.
“You see them?” I asked peering around. Kyuhyun was staring up, hypnotized. I looked up as well then stopped when I noticed the colorful, flashing, ferris wheel.
“Come on,” he said, pulling me towards the moving line-up.
“But what about the guys?”
He gave two tickets to the guy and ushered me towards one of the seats. “If we haven’t found them by now, we might as well enjoy the rides. Even if it’s just one.” I didn’t’ argue anymore as the ferris wheel had already begun to move. We slowly began moving up, higher, towards the sky. My breath caught in my throat as I saw how it glowed colorfully beneath me, full of colors from the rides and stands. Then, looking farther, I saw darkness, and then light again. This time only white lights, which meant it was the city. Like stars in the ocean. But beneath me, it was magical. I couldn’t help smiling at the sight, and leaned closer to the edge, amazed. I didn’t even realize that our ride was coming to the end and one by one, they were letting the riders off.
I swiveled around when I felt Kyuhyun pull his hoodie closer to my body. He was blushing, “I-I’m sorry. The sleeve was falling off and it was cold and…” he stopped talking looking embarrassed. Suddenly the world seemed brighter, the night seemed clearer. My chest felt heavy, locked up. Like I hadn’t breathed in a long time. I tried, but my chest didn’t seem to let up. Then I realized, I was staring at the solution. Lustfully. He was staring at me too, dazed. “I love you,” he whispered.
“I know,” I smiled, as I noticed how close we were, and inching closer. Our lips touched. His were gentle and smooth. Soft and full. We began moving our lips. He nibbled at my lower lip and I opened my mouth a crack, the tip of his tongue slipped in and teased me. I bit down on his tongue lightly, opening my mouth wider and released him, savoring his taste. His arms were around me; his thoughts were only of me. I opened my eyes slightly. We had made it; we were at the top, the sky in our reach. Fireworks burst in wonderful delight to celebrate the end of summer, the end of the day, and the end of many things. I closed my eye and enjoyed his caressed embrace. But for me, it was only the beginning to many things.
 
~~~*~~~
 
“Where were you guys?” Ryeowook demanded as we reached the van. The amusement park was closing down for its last night in town and crowds of people began leaving. Eunhyuk’s face was chill but the lipstick, hair, and messy clothes, and the way that clung to him closer meant that they probably did it somewhere. Ryeowook was leaning on the car, bored, and Sungmin was helping a green looking Khun to the back seat.
“Nowhere,” Kyuhyun answered simply and I pushed off his arm, heading to the passenger’s seat. Kyuhyun got in beside me and the others began boarding the car as well.
“You’re welcome~!” Sungmin smiled at me and I looked at him confused then turned away. It was better not knowing what he was thinking. The drive home was silent or maybe it was just because I felt like I was on cloud 9. The taste of Kyuhyun, his warmth, he was just too much for me. In a good I-can’t-get-enough sort of way. Kyuhyun dropped off and Eunhyuk at Eunhyuk’s house; obviously they were going to go at it again. Sungmin got out with Khun at his hotel, reassuring us that he’d take him to his room and get a cab home for himself. We dropped off Ryeowook last. As Kyuhyun and I drove home, “Hope Is A Dream That Never Sleeps” by Super Junior, played on the radio. I closed my eyes, embracing the song.
“Had fun tonight?” he whispered softly. I thought about it for a second. The tense air between Kyuhyun and Khun this morning and our lustful kiss later that night.
“Yes.” His hand had somehow touched mine and we held onto each other. I didn’t want to let go. Not now, not when we got home, not when he carried me off to bed, not when I fell asleep.