Chapter 38

Like Romeo And Juliet

                                  

 

“Khun.” I just stood there. We all did. None of us knew how to react.
“What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asked, breaking the silence, his voice filled with confusion and shock. Nichkhun’s surprised composure became angry and cold and he glared cruelly at Kyuhyun. While Kyuhyun simply blinked at Khun’s change of attitude and instead, his face became emotionless as if he didn’t have any feelings toward Khun’s appearance. He slightly pulled me back so I was now behind him. I recognized this as a protective posture. This meeting had become a guy thing. Damn it, I was not a meat for dogs to fight over.
“Khun, what are you doing here?”
He looked at me and his facial features became sad. My tone must have sounded harsh. Khun stood straight, head high, glaring at Kyuhyun, but his words directed to me, “You didn’t even call me when you got to California and you didn’t even give me a heads up. When Yuri told me about how he kidnapped you, I decided to come pay a little visit.” He looked at me now and his emotions were mixed with anger and distress. “You didn’t even call Taec. It was like you were letting him kidnap you.”
I rolled my eyes, deciding to cut in, “It wasn’t a kidnap. Our parent’s completely agreed to it and helped set everything up and in a way, I had accidentally agreed to it.” My mind had a flashback of the night when I agreed to let Kyuhyun prove that he loved me by seducing me. Seduce is such a funny word when applied to Kyuhyun.
Khun seemed to be taken back by my answer and directed his anger to Kyuhyun. “I don’t care. I thought we were best friends. You should have at least called me to tell me you were ok. You didn’t even bother to answer any of my text messages or calls.” I blinked in realization. So that’s what Sungmin deleted.
“Eh~? Sorry, that would be my fault.” Speak of the devil. We all noticed Sungmin who had probably been standing there without us even realizing he was there. He approached us with his happy-go-lucky smile but I could see the dark aura around him. Kyuhyun and Khun seemed to notice as well. Scary.
“How’s the happy couple~?” Sungmin asked, happily skipping over to join us.
Khun’s eyes roamed to Kyuhyun’s hand, intertwined with mine. He looked at Sungmin. “And you are?”
Sungmin smiled and stuck his hand out. “Lee Sungmin. And you’re Khun, right?”
Nichkhun’s cold features became surprised and he shook Sungmin’s hand without thinking about it. “Um…ya… Nichkhun Horvejkul.”
Sungmin tilted his head happily, “Yoong lost her cell phone when you called and I didn’t feel that I should answer a complete stranger’s call. Oh, and I accidentally deleted your text as well.” Didn’t Eunhyuk say that Sungmin was having one of his moods? Shouldn’t he be at home away from here?
“Liar. You stole my phone.” Sungmin ignored me and busied himself with hopping around Khun and making a very dizzying first impression.
“Come on.”
“Um-” Kyuhyun took this chance to pull me towards the parking lot, leaving Khun and Sungmin behind. I guess Sungmin was all for helping Kyuhyun cause he kept distracting Khun with his hyper-jumpiness. Either that or he was really enticed with Khun.
“Kyuhyun, let go-” I hadn’t really expected that he’d let go. Doesn’t matter, I was a really stubborn girl Let go,” I said, kicking him on the back of his knee. ny human would react to that.
Ah,ah,ah,ah,ah, shiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeetttttt!”  pulled away and headed back to Khun and Sungmin. Shoving Sungmin aside, I grabbed Khun’s wrist and headed for the parking lot again, grabbing Kyuhyun with me as I went. Kyuhyun stumbled behind me, still acting like a crybaby, and simply followed my lead. Well guys aren’t that cooperative, are they. 
“Get in the back seat,” I instructed as I got in the passenger’s side.
“Where are we going?” Khun questioned, glaring at Kyuhyun, though I could see that he had an amazed looked as well at the sight of Kyuhyun’s car.
“Just get in,” I sighed, closing my door. I waited for Khun to get in, but instead we heard a knock on the window. I turned to Kyuhyun who had a stubborn look on his face. “Kyuhyun,” I groaned. He sighed and unlocked the back seat doors.
“Thank you,” murmured Khun, sitting down.
“So where are we going,” Kyuhyun asked.
I scratched my head. “Um, I haven’t actually thought that far. We just need to talk.”
Sungmin got in the car then, “Sweet, than I’m coming too. Let’s go get some coffee. Kyuhyun shrugged and started the car.
 
~~~*~~~
 
I ordered a tall green tea lemonade and sat down across from Khun, beside Kyuhyun, on one of the Starbucks table. Sungmin excused himself to go to the bathroom and we awkwardly sipped our drinks, waiting for him to return.
“I’m bored. Let’s not wait for him. It’s already been five minutes anyways.” I paid no attention to Kyuhyun and continued sipping on my straw. Right now, my mind was on Bubble Tea. When I got back home, the first thing I was going to do was too head straight to Go for Tea and get my drink. Ten minutes later, Sungmin still hadn’t returned and my patience reached its limit. I looked at Khun, expecting him to start talking first. He shrugged awkwardly and looked over at Kyuhyun as if he had to explain first. Kyuhyun looked at me. Jesus. 
I held the back of my neck. “Um…so…what’s up?”
Khun shrugged, “Not much, you?”
“I’m good.”
“Cut the crap, what are you doing here?” Kyuhyun slammed the table, earning the attention of a few tables. The Khun I knew was a crybaby. He was the type that was shy and hated awkward conversations and meeting new people, enjoying the comfort of a small group of friends and even then he was pretty quiet. He was a complete pushover and was terrible in arguments and talking back which usually made him a victim at following others orders. Mostly he did whatever I asked of him.
So it surprised me that this Khun didn’t back down and instead looked Kyuhyun straight in the eyes, sitting straight. “I’ve just come to see Yoong.”
Kyuhyun snorted, “Lies. You have another intention don’t you. No sane person would fly all the way to the California just to visit a girl.”
That offended me since I was special but I agreed and mostly I was just pissed that Khun was going against my orders. “Alright, I’m here. You can see me. Now what?”
Khun shrugged and looked down, taking another sip from his drink, “I just thought that maybe, I dunno,” he looked up at me, “Are you coming back home?”
I smiled, happy that Khun was asking instead of ordering, “I need to finish my senior year, don’t I?”
Kyuhyun seemed to remember something and quickly checked his phone. “Crap, I forgot all about school.” I snorted, stupid idiot.
“How many days do we have left,” I asked.
He slid his phone back into his pocket, sighing, “A few weeks left of summer break.”
Khun seemed happy about this, “Oh, well then, maybe Yoong should come back now since you need to prepare for school here.”
Kyuhyun smirked, “Nice try, but I’ll be attending the same school as Yoong. And you, I’m guessing.”
Both Khun and I were suprised. “You are?” Kyuhyun stuck his tongue out happily.
Sungmin finally came back from the toilet. “Eh? You started without me?”
“What took you so long,” Kyuhyun asked the question that was on all our minds.
Sungmin smiled, “There was a cute girl walking out of the girls bathroom,” he took out his phone and flashed it at us, “Tada~! I got her number.” I tried my best to not say anything sarcastic by drinking my tea.
“What about Sungmin,” Khun inquired, “You’re going to leave him here?”
Sungmin blinked, “Eh? Wait, what are we talking about?”
Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, “You act as if he’s my only friend. Besides, Sungmin skipped a grade and spent most of his years in the gifted program. He’s already finished his senior year.”
I choked on my drink. “What, I did,” Sungmin pouted, looking at the disbelieved faces around him.
“So you’ve already started college?”
“Next year I’m starting at the University of Oxford to study law,” Sungmin frowned as if it were the strangest question anyone has ever asked him.
Well could you blame me?
“Where are you staying?” Sungmin asked Khun, changing the subject from the fact that he was ‘smart.’
“Uh, the Hilton.”
“Why didn’t you call me? You could have told me you were in California.” Khun looked at me with that look saying: think harder. I faked a laugh, “Oops, my bad. Sungmin stole my phone.”
“Eh? That again? Can’t we just say I found it?”
“No.”
I sighed, “So how long have you been here?”
Sungmin looked at his fingers, “Two days, I think.”
“And what would you have done if you hadn’t found Yoong?” Kyuhyun asked, leaning in.
Khun glared at him, “I would have found her anyway. I’ve been with Yoong for the past six years and every time she got lost, guess who found her?”
Sungmin smiled at me, “Lost?”
I blushed, “I’m not good with directions. Geez, is it that bad?”
“Yes,” both Kyuhyun and Khun said in unison. I blushed harder and continued drinking my tea. It took me a couple of minutes to notice they weren’t talking. I looked up, glancing at everyone. Khun was drinking his cappuccino, Kyuhyun was staring at his espresso, and Sungmin was happily eating his donut with no care in the world. What was he doing here anyways?
He happily patted the powder off his hands, “Well, I need to go. We should meet again, Khun. How about tomorrow you come over to Kyuhyun’s house?” Well that wasn’t going to be good. I looked over at Kyuhyun who didn’t argue like he usually would. Looking up at Sungmin, he had on the happiest, Cheshire cat grin. “Right Yoong?” I didn’t answer, just stared speechlessly. Sungmin smiled at all of us one last time then left. Suddenly the air cleared and surprisingly, all three of us let out a breath.
“So…tomorrow…”
I looked over at Kyuhyun, but he looked like he didn’t care. I turned back to Khun and nodded, “I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 1.”
Khun nodded and grabbed his stuff. “Well, the hotel’s not that far away. I’ll leave now.”
“Bye Kh-” He didn’t bother waiting to hear the rest and left.
After a few more minutes, Kyuhyun sighed and grabbed his jacket. “We should go too.” I agreed and dumped my empty cup. Sticking my hands into my pockets, we left Starbucks and headed back to Kyuhyun’s Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670. As he started the car, I looked at him.
“Why didn’t you protest against it? You know when he comes over Eunhyuk, Ryeowook, and Sungmin are going to screw around with him.”
Kyuhyun shrugged, “Sungmin was having one of his moods.”
“I see.”