Chapter 4

Like Romeo And Juliet

                                        

 

 

“Why do I have to go?” I kicked the car door and slouched in my seat.
Taecyeon shrugged. “Your mom just said to make sure that you got there on time. She said it was really important that you made it.”
I snorted. “She doesn’t even trust me to drive there by myself.”
“Because you’d use it to your advantage and come late.” He parked in front of a fancy looking café and gave me a smile. “Have fun.” I hopped onto the curb and stepped out of the rain and into the restaurant. The piano was being played in the background and there was a smell of freshly ground coffee beans as well as alcohol coming from the bar. The lights were dimmed and there were candles on the every black wooden table. The restaurant was carpeted, with wall windows and there was high chairs and leather couches lounging in front of the tables.
A preppy girl appeared from nowhere with a smile. “Hello, welcome to-“
“I’m with them,” I pointed randomly and ducked out of her way. I walked around the café looking for my parents. Eventually I got to the back with a sign saying VIP. At the back I found my mother talking with a woman and on the other side Kyuhyun slouched with a glass of wine in his hand.
Mom turned and waved at me. “Sweetie, come here.”
A woman with long, silky, black hair turned and looked thrilled to see me. “Oh my…” I walked over and Mrs. Cho stood up to hug me. She placed her hands on my cheeks and seemed to be examining all my facial features. “Oh!” she smiled. “Yoona, you’re so beautiful now! It must be that you got rid of the braces.” Wow, thanks for bringing down my self-esteem. She gasped and turned to my mother. “Imagine their children!” I nodded awkwardly and walked past her and sat on one of the empty leather seats.
My mother gave me a once over and frowned. “Couldn’t you have worn something more formal?”
I looked down at myself and shrugged. “I think its fine.”
Mrs. Cho just smiled at me like she was having the best day ever. A waiter came over and asked me what if I would like to order which I declined. I was having stomach pains.
Half an hour later, my dad and Mr. Cho arrived. “How’s the happy couple?” Mr. Cho’s voice boomed and I realized how silent the restaurant was until just now.
The adults did their thing with the greetings and all that then Mr. Cho approached me and placed his big hands on my shoulders. “It’s good to see you again Yoona. Hope you didn’t forget your Uncle Siwon.” He burst out in laughter and sat down in a chair and I joined in with an awkward tense laugh. I didn’t get why he was laughing in the first place. He didn’t tell a joke. Well…I don’t think he did…
My dad came over and gave me a peck on the forehead. “Sweetheart.” He sat down beside mom and ordered a drink followed by lighting a cigarette.
Mr. Cho - or is it Uncle Siwon - leaned back in his seat and give Kyuhyun and I a good once over. “Ah, the happy couple. Should we start discussing the wedding?” We both sat awkwardly in silence. My stomach ache clenched and I pressed my hand against it.
“Oh Yoona, it’s going to be wonderful and you will look beautiful,” my mom reached over and took both my hands in hers. “I can see it now. White lilies covering the floor and you in a matching white dress. Oh, Yoona, you get to be a June bride. The timing is perfect. Exactly a month after your eighteenth birthday and five after Kyuhyun’s.”
“What’s a June bride?”
Mrs. Cho placed her hand over mine and I wondered what would happen if one of us started sweating. “It means you get to be a bride for your whole life and the groom who marries in June get’s a sweetheart for a wife. Isn’t that romantic, Hae?”
“Mind if I say something?” Donghae put his glass of wine on the table, “I get why I have to marry her but both Yoona and I agree we don’t want too. So let’s just pretend that we do get married -”
“Pretend?”
“Fine. So we get married. We have a kid then we file for divorce. That way we have the kid thing to take over business in the future and to represent both families and that’ll nullify the divorce.” I’m not sure what was going through most of the parents minds but I liked the idea. See, usually having a kid with someone you hate is something people won’t agree too but if I get my divorce I won’t have to spend the rest of my life with Kyuhyun. Our mothers had a look of shock. Mr. Chown downed his drink and ordered another one followed by lighting another cigarette.
“Absolutely not,” he answered calmly.
“It-it’s absurd!” my mother managed. Pshh, no one uses the word absurd anymore.
“I think it’s brilliant,” I muttered looking down. I could feel all eyes on me. It had a creepy feel.
“Yoona, what are you saying. Your whole life had been based around this marriage. You can’t just end it like that.”
“I’m not ending it. Donghae is.”
Donghae looked at me for the first time tonight. “Don’t put the blame on me.”
“It was your idea,” I answered, looking up at him.
“And you agreed to it!”
“Let’s not fight -” Mrs. Cho stressed a smile.
Mr. Cho sighed. “Just leave them alone. It won’t matter either way,” he looked at Kyuhyun with the death gaze - dun dun DUUUN. “Once they’re both twenty one the company will belong to them. A child will be needed to take over the business in the future and whatever you choose to do with your marriage will be up to you as long as both of you are fine running this business together.” Kyuhyun leaned back satisfied.
“But until then, neither one of you will argue with whatever we have planned.”
“Fine.”
I shrugged and pressed my hand to my stomach again. “Can I get a ginger ale please?” I asked the waiter passing by.
“So, now that that’s done with, I have a call waiting. I’ll be right back,” my father exits.
Our mothers still had a completely depressed look on and began whispering to themselves. Mr. Cho ordered another drink.
Kyuhyun and I were the only ones still sitting in an awkward silence. After a moment I turned and found him looking at me. There was no point in arguing anymore. I wonder if I can get use to being addressed as Mrs. Cho Yoona.
 
~~~please comment and subscribe, thank you!~~~