Chapter 20

Like Romeo And Juliet

                                          

 

 

“Ugh. Why?”
“It looks great dear.”
“No, I look like stupid!” My mother sighed on the other end of the line.
“Darling, I’ll be back in three days. By then I want you to have picked out a dress and a mask for the masquerade.”
I pulled at my hair. “Whatever.” Hanging up, I examined the huge dress I was wearing. It made my look big. Usually I don’t care as much on what I wear but there is a line and I don’t plan to cross it. I took off the dress and put back on my regular clothing I wore today. I exited the change room I was in and was greeted by one of the workers. It annoys me that practically every shop, mall, and restaurant in this town knows my family. Thanks to my mother’s daily closet change, family dinners, business meetings, and just living here, everyone recognized us and put on this oh-so happy face which says I’m-your-little-pet-dog-who follows-you-around-and-bribes -you-with-things-as-long-as-you-buy-something-preferably- something -expensive.
“That’s one of our best, Miss. Shall I ring it up for you?”
‘No, it’s OK,” I replied handing her the dress and then hurrying out the store. I really hated it when people gave me that surprised expression when I didn’t buy anything like buying stuff is all rich people live for. Bleh! I put the keys into the ignition of Taecyeon’s car that I was borrowing and drove away from the plaza. I just wanted to go home and hang with my cousin since I still couldn’t get in my house. When I got back, Taec’s parents and him were crowded on their front porch with bags and luggage in their hands and crowding around there feat. “What’s going on?” Taecyeon kissed me on the cheek. “Look, I’ll explain over the phone when I get there.” His dad popped out of nowhere and pushed past me.
“Sorry about this Yoong, but it was surprising for us too.” He gave me a hug and hurried to get his car started.
“Sorry, sweetie,” Taec’s mom sighed and gave me a hug. Taecyeon and her hurried to there van and started the engine, backing out of the drive-way.
“Wait! What about me!” I called.
“Go ahead and stay here. We left you an extra pair of keys on the kitchen counter!” Before I could protest they were already gone. I groaned and entered the house. The warm peach walls and big windows, pouring in an amount of light seemed dark and hollow. I went to the kitchen first and opened the fridge. Inside were the regular fruits, veggies, and drinks. In the freezer there were bucket loads of ice-cream, popcicles, ice, meat, frozen pizza, and microwave dinner. It was already 6pm so I went ahead with dinner. I took out a small pot and grabbed some macaroni from the bottom cabinet. I boiled it and later on added some milk, butter, and of course, the cheesy goodness. I poured the food into a bowl and grabbed a fork. This place was like my house since I had spent so many of my childhood days here. If I ever needed family time I could always count on the Ok family. I went to the fridge and grabbed a can of Nestea and sat down at the kitchen island. After my first bite I couldn’t take the silence any longer. I took my dinner to the living room and flipped through channels on the idiot box. It went pretty well for a minute or so until my foot accidentally kicked the remote off the glass coffee table. I gulped, my heart racing. I gulped. I scanned the room, paranoia shutting down my mental sense. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve been staying home alone since I was 7. Guess you’ve been surrounded by people for the past few weeks that you’re even nervous about being home alone. Before I even realized it I began imagining noises that weren’t really there. I suddenly felt an impact in my gut and before I realized what I was doing, I had grabbed my backpack and an extra suitcase with extra clothes I had stored at Taecyeon’s house. I grabbed the keys off the counter and ran out the door, locking it behind me. I ran to Taecyeon’s car and reached into my jacket pocket and took out the car keys. Backed out of the drive way and hurried away from the hollow silence. I ignored my brain and followed my instincts. I parked my car in the parking lot and left my luggage for later. I ran through the lobby and into the elevator. My mind memorized the room number over and over. 1201…1202…1203…12…….06…1206! Found it! I knocked on the door and bit my bottom lip. Something snapped and I suddenly realized where I was and why I was here. Gee sorry to bother you but I got paranoid staying home alone and for some reason the first person I thought of was you. I slapped my forehead right when Kyuhyun opened the door. His top was off and he was only wearing his boxers and his hair was messed. His face flushed.
I blinked. “Oh, I’m sorry. Your …busy…I’ll just-“
“I was sleeping genius. I’m sick.”
“Oh.”
Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Here, I got your package.” I blinked.
“That is why you came, right? For the package your mom sent you?”
I smiled. “Psh, yeah of course. Why else.” Kyuhyun threw a box at me. I just held it in my hand.
“Well? Aren’t you gonna open it?” I sighed and put the box on the floor.
“It’s pretty big.” I ripped open the box and inside in a bunch of tissue paper was a mask on top of a dress.
“So the theme is masquerade?” He asked
“Yeah.”
Kyuhyun nodded. “Well since you’re done…bye.”
I opened my mouth to say something, but he already slammed the door shut.