Cracks

The World They Create Together

Taejo

The last few days had truly been like a battlefield. A battle that was started by some hidden enemy attack orchestrated by someone of great importance that was the mastermind behind all these enemies. After several attacks now the retaliation and quest for revenge had began. It was more of a revenge hidden in the shadows rather than something glorious. He wonders just when, truly just when did that soft-hearted son of his had turned into a man that could be so cold and surrounded by darkness. It was his upbringing by the Kangs no doubt about it, but sometimes he had a sense that it was more. There were things that he did not know about the reason behind his fourth son's actions.

So, his bright sun, was becoming more and more like a king but it was in such a subtle way that no one had noticed. But he knew. As he had been the one that have silently observe his son without letting anyone know for so many years. He could see the changes. That was not to say he had never been surprised just what had happened because of these changes.

Indeed his fourth son seems to make a habit of surprising him. But the biggest surprise due to So's change in behaviour was a happy surprise. In his many decisions as both a father and a king, approving Wang So's request to marry Hae Soo had been one of his greatest decision yet. That single girl had brought such changes along with her, that these days he felt a little peace that his nation and his sons will survive after he was gone not consumed by the darkness of the palace. But now that peace was in danger, along with his fourth son's precious heart. And that fact was truly evident, the moment he saw him enter the courtroom. The room where the noble lords, court officials, princes and queens were playing their game over power and control.

Instead of the aura of quiet happiness and confidence that his son had carried around with him ever since his marriage that had gradually increased as the months had gone by, the warmth was all gone. It was darkness that now surrounded him. Such a cold and harsh darkness that he was not surprised that he could see some of the people take unconscious step back as the figure in black royal robes made his way up towards the throne. As his fourth son bows to him in greeting with absolute silence, then straighten his body to look at him in the eye, there was only one thought in his mind.

Wolf King. Because those dark eyes of his sons had a ring of silver in them, as if it was the eyes of a powerful beast and the aura around his son was screaming for those around him to obey him. And those eyes were burning, not with hot fire but with ice like his fourth son had been frozen with no heart left. There was only a body of an angry man without a soul. It reminds him of the line that Ji Mong had told him from the tale that the prisoners were listening to.

"A man left behind and breathing only because he had to. A man whose mind was filled only with plots to better the society, but never letting anything touch his heart or his person again. Because the owner of the man's heart and soul was no longer with him in this world."

Wang Jung

His heart was pounding and he could not do anything beside move. Because he knew that he had no time to rest or explain. All he could do was run across the palace grounds to his chamber and change into his court uniform as fast as he could so that he could enter the courtroom where his Hyung was. He needs to return back to Byul as quick as possible. So that his Hyung could help his and Jung's precious ladies. Because he will not accept the fact that she had forgotten about him and his brothers. No. He will never accept that. She will get better.

Doctor Song and Doctor Jin

Their lives were in danger. There was no doubt about that. The two ladies in their care were both still in critical situation. So what if one of them had woken up. She did not remember herself clearly. The other lady just continues to breathe heavily as she slept. They were just praying that the 4th prince comes back as soon as possible. Though it was not something a practitioner of medicine should believe, they truly believe that their patients will get better with the presence of 4th prince right next to them as they are recovering.

Crown Prince Mu

Just how low could these ministers fall? Here they were arguing in front of his younger brother So, whose wife and child were poisoned, that this poisoning was not a good reason to conduct a full investigation because no one of royal blood were hurt. It was not a regicide so they could simply end the matter by punishing the maid that brought in the tea and the plate of sweets and that's it. No need to dig deeper and find out who had ordered the poisoning.

These self-serving actions of these ministers was what made him doubt his ability to lead. Was he strong enough to be above them and guide them away from corruption? But he could not ever stop fighting because he knew that he was the only one that could possible fight against these ministers and convince the king that behind this poisoning are the same group of people behind that assassination attempt.

A side glance to where his brothers were standing showed him that it was best to end this session as quick as possible. Yo, Wook and Won will be fine with arguing over this point for much longer but So was not. He could see that So was only standing there, solid as a rock, with only the force of his mind stopping him from moving. Not to mention the air around him was frozen cold. He did not want So to lose control. For him to lose control in front of ministers would a fatal move and he will protect his brothers. With a quick deep breath, he prepares a quick counterstrike in his head and once again starts to argue with those present in the courtroom.

Wang So

His body and mind were operating on autopilot. He was not thinking at all. Because he did not want to. All of his thoughts were with his wife and daughter. The two that he wants to be with right now, rather than struck here in this room. This room, just another one of his prison cells still present from his past life to this new life. He heard the arguments, the voices of various people talking but it was not important. Getting this session to end as soon as possible was in order for him to go back home. Soo and Seol could be awake now. They both had been moving slightly before he had been summoned away from their bedsides.

"Your Majesty, why in the world are we talking about this? Lady Hae may have been poisoned but she is not dead or anything. Why is there a need to investigate the noble clans over the poisoning attempt on one royal spouse?"

"The Queen is right. Why should us, the nobles suffer through a humiliation of being investigated when there is no proof of our disloyalty? Lady Hae may be a royal spouse but she does not have connections and she is not a royalty."

"These kinds of occurence are quite common in a royal household. As she had not even bore a child yet, she is not really consider part of the royal family. So an attempt on her life is not necessary can be labelled as a regicide."

"Even if Pyeha have decided to adopt her, at the time of the attack, she had not been officially adopted yet. That is why, Pyeha please finish this matter right here by ordering the punishment of the Damiwon palace maid that serve the refreshments."

He closes his eyes and squeeze his fists. No matter how much he wants to make a remark or fight back, if he did either, this session will be prolonged and it will take that much longer to return to Byul. He take slow breaths to cool his anger and go back to numbness.

"You should follow the suggestion of the ministers, Pyeha. Why go through such trouble for the son of Lady Kang and his orphan wife and adopted ward? Also why don't we send the 4th prince back to his mother's side? After all there is no responsibilities that the 4th prince is in charge of that he cannot oversee from Shinju."

Shinju, return, orphan, not worth it. The moment those words from the mouth of Queen Yoo enters his mind, he gives up trying to control his temper. All that was left was the cold fire of anger and he lifts his head to look directly at the woman who bore him. The woman that had on a look of superiority, who was so sure that no one will ever even dare to go against her. Secure in her place. And that light in her eyes, it was the light of victory. So Queen Yoo wants them out of her sight, and think that she had succeeded in her goal.

"Pyeha," he steps a little forward from the row and turn a little so his body was facing the throne. "May I have the permission to speak? As the man whose wife and child had been attacked? Please make your decision after hearing me out."

"Go ahead, 4th Prince." He simply bows his head to the King before turning so that he was looking straight at the two Queens.

"I understand why the ministers are protesting against being investigated, after all they are no proof that they were involved in this poisoning attempt. Therefore Pyeha please do not make the ministers suffer through an investigation when they had nothing to do with this particular poisoning attempt." He knew that his father was shocked. Why let a perfectly good opportunity to investigate the nobles go.

"If you do feel an investigation into the noble clans is necessary, please let that matter be separate from the matter of the attempted murder on my wife and child." Let them think they won. All they gained was a little more time. For as the prisoners confess, the nobles involved will be interrogated. But not for poisoning rather for attempted assassination of the King.

"Secondly, I object to the claim that this attack on my wife and child is not a regicide. Because my wife, is an adopted daughter of Pyeha now so it does not matter what her status was at the time of the attack, she is the principal wife of an imperial prince. Also while some may not notice, my wife is currently with child. She carries royal children in her womb and thus an attack on her life is an attack on the grandchildren of Pyeha." That slight paleness on Wook's face was so satisfying even in this moment. It made him want to continue to make the fact of Soo's pregnancy obvious for Wang So is a possessive man who wants to make it clear that Soo belongs to him, and not to Wook.

"Thirdly, I do not understand why Queen Yoo wishes for me to leave Songak. When the best royal doctors for my wife and child are here in the palace? Unless there is a hidden reason that I have to return to Shinju, just like fifteen years ago when I was sent away to be adopted." That tight expression on Queen Yoo meant that he was close to the truth. "As you well know Pyeha, I was sent away fifteen years ago as soon as the injury that I received on my face at the hands of my birth mother began to heal." Did she think that he will keep the truth behind his scar hidden forever? Not when she had dare to insult his Soo and Seol. He opens his mouth to make the final comment but he was interrupted.

Turning to face the door, there was Jung who obviously had ran over, dressed hurriedly in his court uniform. Only reason he will be here would be Soo or Seol. His retaliation will have to wait.

"14th Prince, what news have you brought us?" Jung must have been shocked to see himself being addressed so formerly but in court it had to formal.

"My older brother's wife and daughter needs his presence urgently. The doctors have said that both of their health depends on the 4th prince's immediate presence by his side." Jung seems to be opening his mouth to give more of an explanation but there was no time for that.

"Pyeha, as you have heard my presence is urgently needed. Thus I request that you allow me to leave and you may continue this session without my presence." The moment, his father nods his head and gives his permission. He bows then leaves the courtroom, the footsteps behind him letting him know that Jung was following him.

Court Lady Oh

Why was it that when she looks at the face of Lady Hae Soo, she remembers the child that she had lost. It was not that she had spent a lot of time with this lady, but even just those brief interactions that she had with her seems to be enough to endear Hae Soo to her heart.

No matter what the reason was, somehow this young lady was in the same place that she had been in the past. Poisoned by tea and fighting to keep her child. Except this child had succeeded where she had failed, Lady Hae Soo was still pregnant even after drinking the poison. That was a blessing in her mind, even as both Lady Hae Soo and her adopted daughter slept on.

In the silent room, hurried footsteps from the hallway rung through as in a split second, the 4th and 14th prince enters the room. Looking at the fact that they both wore the court uniform, she was right in her guess that the 4th prince had been summoned to court thus he took this long to come back since he left. As she look at the 4th prince, she could once again see the parallel between him and her general. Their worried face, the way that they look around the room to access the situation, not to mention that face of love and concern. But a single blink cause that image of her general to disappear and in his place is the 4th prince who is quickly making his way towards the bed where his daughter is.

"Jung said that Seol had woken up?" That voice was the voice of a man without a soul, a man that was just barely functioning. It was no surprise as she had not seen the 4th prince drink even a sip of water ever since the poisoning.

"Yes, Hwangjanim. Lady Seol had woken up but her memories seems to be affected. She could only remember names of the princes and ladies, but not their faces. The last clear thing that she seems to remember is a memory of her waiting for you at the prayer stones with a hairpin that you have gifted her. We think it is because of the high fever that she had experienced that had damaged her mind. The fever and poison had also affected one of her arms but it is not permanent, she just needs to regain her strength and physically she should be back to normal. As for her memories, I am sorry but we can only wait for her memories to return. But I believe that your presence here will greatly help Lady Seol."

"And Soo-buin? How's her condition?" It seems like the 4th prince was calmly listening and was not making any threats so she turns her attention back to cleaning the sweat off Lady Soo's forehead. Maybe it was just her imagination but it seems like colour has return to the pregnant lady's cheek. Maybe she felt the presence of her husband nearby. What a sentimental person this child will be if this fact led to improvement in her health.

Hae Soo

She couldn't see where she was heading. She was walking slowly on a dirt road towards a light that was coming way at the end of the path. Occasionally, she hears the voice of people that she knows to be important to her. All of them were telling her to wake up but not telling her how she can wake up. She was getting tired of her surroundings and want to hurry up and leave it behind.

After what seemed like walking for decades, she could finally see a human figure up ahead on the path. Even that back view was enough for her to know who it was. Feeling some energy return to her, she starts to move as fast as she could towards where the image of her 4th Emperor was. The moment her hand touch the image of her lover, she opens her eyes to light.

Blinking her eyes, she could see that she was in her chambers in Byul. The chambers that she hardly ever uses for sleeping. But here she was sleeping on the bed in that room. Looking down, she sees her beloved sanggung resting on a stool next to her bed. It was obvious that she had been taking care of her. Turning the other way, she could see the figures of her friends and royal doctors through the room, all of them sleeping. And sleeping on a mattress was Seol, with Woo Hee and Soon Deok lying down on either side of her.

But why was Seol here instead of being in her room? Seol should not have to see her parents hurting. She will have to explain her wish to her prince when she talks to him. But later, much later. For it was obvious that he was exhausted, the bags underneath his eyes have reached his chin. Both the prince and her did not do well when the ones that they love was hurt. But the sight of her large stomach not to mention the faint flutters that she could feel let her know that her twins were alright. For now, she will rest, she could deal with everything in the morning.

Wang So

As soon as he opens his eyes, he felt a change. There was sense of peace around him that should not exist in this room. The room where his wife and daughter's sick beds were. But he could not mistrust his instincts either, when they were the ones that kept him alive for so long. Therefore he opens his eyes to look for just what had changed in this room since the time that he fell asleep. It did not take him long. Because who else would it be except for Soo's presence who will give his mind and body peace.

Her face that had been so pale like a ghost, was now looking a lot better. Rather than restless sleep, his person was now sleeping peacefully. Not to mention the fact, that her body had moved, so now she was lying on her side, facing him, rather than on her back. All of these facts just meant that Soo was getting better. It will not be long before he will be able to see her eyes open again.

Just that fact was enough and he could feel the tension in his body being released, his temper calming down. Oh, he is still furious, but now the anger was just something at the back of his mind, not consuming him like it was before. He lifts his hand, and gently touch his wife's face. And just like she did, in a time that was so long ago, she smiles in her sleep when she felt his touch.

A quiet ruffling behind him gets him to quickly turn. It was another welcoming sight. Seol was waking up. He had observed his daughter sleeping many times, so she knew that Seol tends to move side to side before waking up. He could feel a smile spreading across his face completely out of his control. Well, what could he do. His treasures were coming back to him, and he did not want them to be so far from him.

So, he stands up from the floor besides the bed, and quietly moves till he reaches the mattress where Seol lies. He picks up his precious daughter, his snowflake, along with her blankets, and carries her in his arms towards the bed where her mother is sleeping. He once again sit down close to the edge of the bed, facing his sleeping wife, with their daughter now sleeping with her head on his shoulder wrapped in his arms. Now, they were right next to him, within his sight, in his arms. No matter what happens next, it did not matter as long as they were safe. Soo, Seol, and his two unborn children.

Prison

If they were to tell the complete truth, the prison guards were getting tired. Reading day after day with nothing happening to the prisoners did not seem like a torture to them. Sure the things written in the text was horrifying but when there was no action that followed the words, it seems to be loosening the effect on the prisoners. Did the 4th Prince, that dangerous prince, really choose this as a torture for those people that could be behind the attacks on his family?

The entire palace knew that for some reason that the emotionless 4th Prince valued his wife Lady Hae above all else. Though the presence of Lady Hae did keep the palace occupants safe from being affected from the 'wolf-dog' side of the 4th Prince.