Anectodes

The World They Create Together

Many palace servants were thinking that they really need to get used to this. The sudden burst of strange events that occurs unexpectedly at the palace every couple of days. After all, ever since the 4th prince arrived in Songak, the palace had seen such different incidents that had never happened before or were so strange that people needed to check multiple times to make sure that what they had witnessed was true.

First it was the 4th prince being granted a private residence on the palace grounds, something that had never have occurred in what was known from the history of the Three Kingdoms, particularly if this honour was granted to an imperial prince.

Second, it was the royal wedding with commoners in attendance. Once again it was the 4th prince who had insisted on opening up the palace courtyard for the citizens, slaves, and commoners to witness the royal wedding.

Though what the newlyweds were doing or how well they were getting along was not truly clear from the various different tales that were spreading throughout the palace. Anyone from a kitchen servant, a Damiwon court lady, or sometimes even the princes were gossipping.

Things like Lady Soo was the one to choose her husband's attire everyday when he was not in any of his official hanboks. Others said that they personally witness some explosive arguments between the newlyweds that had both of them leave the room in anger. But when those servants saw the couple a little later, they were affectionate with each other. From what servants could pick up from those princes that will actually talk, the 4th prince and his wife were both concerned about each other's health, but these princes also said that they were amazed just how much both of the 4th prince and Lady Soo can bicker with each other.

So all the palace occupants could conclude with such differing accounts going around was that 4th prince and Lady Hae were a chaotic pair, similar to how the royal family behaves around them. It truly starts to become evident that the center of palace's chaos was the 4th prince and his wife Lady Hae Soo in the week following the day that the 4th prince first entered the royal court as a Goryeo prince in court uniform.

The day after was relatively quiet. The princes did not have their lessons that day so they were doing their own things. Which in the case of the three young princes was to go and spend time with Lady Soo, who was their friend long before she became their sister-in-law. Though apparently some of the court officials from the South, who could not be here for the royal wedding went with the princes to deliver wedding gifts. Nothing was strange about that behaviour. Of course no matter how much of an outcast he is, the 4th prince was still royalty and keeping on the good side of the royal family and to have a personal connection with them was what all noble clans and court officials wanted.

The royal family, Park Soon Deok, who seemed to have become a really good friend of Lady Soo as she was with her every day, either Soon Deok visiting her or the two ladies will be going on walks together, had tea with the court officials before they left their residence. After that all of the occupants of Byul went out on a long walk of the palace grounds together. When the 4th prince and his wife returned from their walk, they seemed to want to be left alone so they had dismissed their servants to their rooms till the next day but send plenty of food and alcohol to the servants and slaves. All the servants thought was that the couple wanted to have a serious private conversation, especially as they have now entered the political game officially.

The true chaos began the day after, it has a day of chaos for those who served the royal family and what follows is the personal stories of the many servants of the palace during those days in question.

Court ladies of Queen Sinleong and Lady Sonwangjoowon

Their mistress while not close were at least on good terms with each other. Both of their mistresses did not force their sons to go against the Crown Prince's position, no they were content to leave the political field. Thus they were always happy that their sons, Eun and Baek Ah were so friendly with each other. But mothers will worry about their sons especially when seemly out of nowhere, their sons had visited them with pearl jewellery as a gift. The gift was not the problem. It was how the 10th, 13th along with the 14th prince had visited the Queen and the Lady together and have performed a great bow of gratitude towards them. Of course the court ladies who were with their mistresses at the time were also shocked.

A great bow towards a parent was only when saying farewell to them, but the princes explained to their birth mother, or their step-mothers it was a bow of gratitude. For being alive and always being there with them, and they will never take their love or kindness for granted again. The shocked Queen and Lady had asked just what brought this on, and rather than their sons, it was the 14th prince who had replied.

"We heard a story yesterday from Noonim about someone she knows. The story made all of us realize just how lucky we were that our parents are alive and we can talk to you. I wanted to you to know that I am grateful for that Hyungnim's mothers never treated me as an enemy, especially for not stopping Eun-Hyungnim and Baek Ah-hyungnim from spending so much time with me and So-hyungnim."

"Just what is this tale that have so affected you, Baek Ah-ya? Perhaps a story by a famous poet or a song?"

"No, Eomoni. It is a tale of a halmoni and her devotion to her parents." was the quiet reply of the 13th prince.

"Yes, Queen. Seol-halmoni's parents could never call her their daughter or raise her but even then this halmoni loved her parents so much that every single day she offered a prayer that her parents will be reunited in their next life and wish them happiness even though she never knew them."

"Don't forget how halmoni made all of her family and servants offer the same prayers about her parents. I hope the heavens have listened to their pleas."

"Jung-ah, the family of her descendants have been praying for many years, I'm sure their prayers have reached the gods by now."

"But Baek Ah-ya, now that halmoni's last descendants have passed away who is going to pray for halmoni and her parents? I can't leave it like this, come Jung-ah, we have to find lots of stones. I will visit you soon, Eomoni. Please take care of your health," then with a short bow, the 10th prince dragged both the 13th and 14th prince away.

Their mistresses were confused, and a bit worried so they had instructed their trusted court ladis, that the two of them were to follow after the princes and offer their assistance and observe what they are doing for the next day or so. They had followed the command, now here there were walking behind the three princes who had accepted their help with no hesitance.

Now the court ladies were being made to spy loose stone on the wall, ground or any where around them and pick them up. The stones were then placed into a cart that somehow the 14th prince had gotten hold of. When the cart was full of stones, the 14th prince had the nearby servants pull the cart with him to go towards Damiwon. The court ladies thought that the princes were going to rest up in Damiwon but no instead they simply went pass the Damiwon from the outside and went to the pathway in the palace gardens. The court ladies finally remembered as they heard the young princes mention their sister-in-law that this was the path to the residence of the 4th prince, Byul.

Halfway through the pathway, the court ladies saw activity up ahead. It was Lady Soo dressed in all white hanbok with pink sash and light pink sash, flower on her sleeves with Park Soon Deok who was dressed like a soldier. Right next to them was also a small bucket filled with stones.

"Soo-ya" "Noonim", the 10th prince and the 14th prince ran ahead once they noticed the lady's presence, 13th prince walking fast just a little behind them. The court ladies knew how close the young princes were with the newest member of the royal family, but their mistresses will want details so they rush forward as well.

"Greetings, Hwangjanim. Why are your clothes messy? Did you fight?" Lady Soo asks the princes, but she also have a brief nod of greetings to the court ladies. A royal that acknowledge their servants. Lady Hae Soo truly was a bit different like the rumors states.

"We didn't fight at all, Noonim. Rather we were gathering stones." the 14th prince denied the comment about fighting very passionately. The court ladies thought that the 14th prince did not want to get into any trouble with his sister-in-law, similar to a younger brother with an older sister. These two truly had a sibling relationship.

"We gathered stones all over the palace, Soo-ya. We want to built up a prayer tower too." The 10th prince as always did not want to be left behind.

"Yes, I guessed that by the stones. I am building another one too. Your Highnesses can start to built one too. Truly I want to build it myself but Deok-ah has forbid me from bending down." The lady was pouting, she was definitely pouting. Just why was she not allowed to bend down was a question in the court ladies' mind.

"Soo-ya. I know you want to but think about Hyungnim," the 13th prince was the one that now seems to be soothing the displeased Lady. "You know he doesn't restrict you at all in what you choose to do as long as you are safe. You know that he just doesn't want you on your knees piling up stones, but I bet after we built up the bottom part and we are making the top part you can do it."

"Baek Ah-nim," well there was a proof of Lady Hae' closeness to the princes as she was using informal speech and calling them by their names. "You are so much like your 4th brother, it is not even funny. I think I need to find someone to keep all of you in line, if I want to be spared from all of your overprotectiveness."

"No don't do it, Noonim. I saw Hyung when he was preparing for his wedding. I don't want to be stung by needles." the 14th prince was very quick to deny.

"I need my wife to be someonw that knows how to play games, and she has to respect me." that was the 10th prince.

"Is that so, Eun-nim? Then Deok-ah will be perfect for you. She knows lots of fun games, and she can fight as well so you can learn from her, and you know she cares about you." Well like all females, it seemed like Lady Hae did have matchmaking tendencies. Looking at the red face on the General's daughter's face, the match between the 10th prince and Park Soon Deok was something that Lady Sonwangjoowon need to know about it in its possibility. That was what the court ladies thought before they were ordered to help build two prayer stones side by side. One had the base ready, while the other one that the princes started just had a few stones at the base.

Royal Doctor Hong, Doctor Song, Doctor Jin

Doctors Song and Jin were perhaps one of the first duo doctors in the royal infirmary that got along well with each other. But then when they both had to attend to the 4th prince after the poisoning at the exorcism rite, they learnt to not only how to share spaces but to work together as doctors. They were surprised when Royal Doctor Hong, the king's personal physician summoned them both to his private office.

Royal Doctor Hong have served as the physician for the King for a long time. As the King was aging, he knew that he needed to pay more closer attention to his health. But still he was surprised when the Astronomer visited him and told him to bring Doctors Song and Jin together with him to the Astronomy Tower tonight, that too in full disguise, after confirming their loyalty of the King, and only the King. Though he was surprised, he obeyed the King's orders and summoned the doctors. Of course they were surprised at the summons, not to mention the interrogation to their loyalty they faced, but as he had expected they were loyal to the King, though they both did not truly like all of the royal wives especially after seeing the scars on the 4th prince's face and body. But that was not something that would affect their loyalty, rather it made sure that they could not be bribed by the clans of the Queens.

At night, all three doctors dressed in plain clothes made their way to the Astronomy Tower which unlike its usual atmosphere was surrounded by darkness, and the top of the tower had no light coming from it. But just near the entrance they could see the Astronomer Choi, so the three doctors made their way towards him in silence. The Astronomer did not speak to them rather he gestures for them to follow him. So that is what the doctors did till they reached one of the inner rooms of the astronomy tower.

Upon entering the room, they noticed that the room only had five chairs. Three of which was occupied. The King, not in his royal robe but rather in a silk brown hanbok, the Crown Prince in a dark robe, and the last chair was occupied by Lady Hae Soo, the 4th Prince's wife, dressed in a plain white hanbok with a flower belt on top of a dark red skirt. Standing besides his wife's chair was the fourth prince who was dressed in an all-black hanbok with a red-belt.

The doctors bow to the King when they register his presence, silently wondering why three doctors were brought to attend the King in complete secrecy and why the Crown Prince and the newlywed couple were there.

"I expect you already realized the need for absolute secrecy. I need you to examine Lady Hae Soo, Doctor Hong. Then tell us everything that you found without covering anything up." So as ordered by the King, Doctor Hong steps forward and takes the outstretched hand of the Lady and begins to check her pulse.

"Pyeha," the royal doctor faces the King after finishing his examination then when the King prompts him to speak he begins. "Lady Hae has a regular and healthy pulse even if it a little slow. But that is not the concern. Though it is faint and very hard to see, if she does not take good care of herself there are signs that her heart and her knees could be affected in the future. But all of these will be preventable if Lady Hae takes cares of herself and avoid any direct pressure to her knees, or sudden shocks. I will prepare a tonic for her that should also help to keep her body from attacking her heart. Also drinking tea with honey everyday will also make her body stronger to fight against any illnesses. She should also avoid having a cause that could cause her to have extreme frustration in case it affects her heart."

"Well, it seems Pyeha. That Uncle Hui was correct in his assessment," was what the Astronomer said. Uncle Hui? Perhaps some other physician that have examined the Lady before.

"Royal Doctor Hong, I need you to keep an eye on my daughter-in-law's condition in complete secrecy. Now Doctor Hong, Doctor Jin, you are being trusted to handle the daily care for my daughter-in-law, as well as the 4th. I don't need to tell you what will happen if this information gets out."

Really the doctors did not need reminders. Besides even when they were facing the King, they could see feel the threatening glare of the 4th prince boring into them, just begging them to make a mistake with his wife's health and then they will see what happens to them.

Doctor Hong and Doctor Jin particularly did not want the 4th prince to be angry at them, because while treating the 4th prince, they had already witnessed a moment between him and his wife while treating him from the two arrows. They knew that the 4th prince treasured his wife so much that he willingly be her shield from any attack. But a medical condition was not something that 4th prince could fight, thus he was now entrusting his wife into their hands.

All three doctors had no intention of failing in their duty, it was obvious to them that the 4th prince and Lady Soo were a genuinely loving couple that was very rare to find especially in the royal palace. And they wanted to help them in anyway they could, not only because it was their duty but for personal reasons as well.

Chae Ryung

When her lady got married, she knew that some things may change. Her lady was someone that she cared about, though she will never stop helping the 9th prince if he asks. Besides what she relates to him will not be something that the prince could not find out on his own, so there was no harm in it.

She notice that her lady's mood had been down lately. First she thought that she had fought with her husband, the 4th prince, who she still found to be scary. But Soo-agasshi was not angry or frustrated. Rather she was a mix of happiness and sadness. Like she had received news that was good but it was also painful at the same time. Since she could not get her lady to talk, the best thing she could do was to get her to go out of the house. She got the General's daughter who was visiting to help her convince her Agasshi to get out.

She should have known that the moment, Soo-Agasshi was out she will start to walk so fast like the wind. The General's daughter had no problem catching up to the lady while she had to run to catch up. Eventually, she realized that they were near the training grounds, or the field leading to it. Right up ahead, all the princes with sweat evident on their face was walking back towards the palace. She quickly bows her head in respect, and she sees that the General's daughter and Agasshi have just slightly bowed their heads.

"Oh, if it is not our Hyungsu with Park Soon Deok. What are you doing here?" It was the 9th prince that first notices them and ask, thus letting on their presence to the rest of the princes, who she could see out of the corner of her eyes were now rushing towards them. In a way, it will be hard to miss them what with the General's daughter in a hanbok of such bright green, then Agasshi had wore a pair of her old hanbok of white and pink against the sandy ground, these two will not blend in at all.

"Greetings, 9th Hwangjanim, we were just on a stroll, and Soon Deok offered to show me the training grounds." Sometimes she wondered about the changes that one knock to the head brought to Agasshi. From a soft-spoken girl to a girl that could talk so confidently to royalty. Before she knew it, the other princes had reached them and after a very stiff greetings, even the usually polite 8th prince was so cold, the 3rd, 8th and 9th prince left. The Crown Prince sadly seemed to have been called away to a meeting thus there was now only the young three princes and Agasshi's husband left. But the princes had noticed their dirty state thus all of them just bid them farewell so they could go change. Though not before the 4th prince quickly gave Agasshi a peck then grin with a cheshire cat at her before catching up to his brothers who had went ahead. Well, look at that her Agasshi was now blushing and smiling at the same time and her melancholy mood vanished. That terrible mood that Agasshi was in disappeared. All because of a single stolen peck from her husband and the darkness all goes away.

"Seol will not want me to sad if she is anything like her daddy." Who? Who's Seol? That was what she could pick up from the small whisper that Agasshi said before she starts to walk away. Well it did not matter who she was. She must have misheard it, it was not something important anyways.

Palace Door Guard in front of the Royal Court

Your job required you to be alert but you also learnt a lot of things that you were never to speak ever again. But aside from your ability to keep a secret, and having to remember the title and names of what seemed like thousands of people, it was a job that paid well for doing very little.

But this was something he never expected to see.

People were running. Running through the palace corridors and were yelling at him to announce them, and gesturing to open the door. Who was running? It was the 10th Prince Eun and 13th Prince Baek Ah but the one right in front of them, running faster than them was the General's daughter Park Soon Deok, and the one in front of them, running the fastest and also being yelled at to stop running was the wife of 4th prince, Lady Hae Soo. Shaking off his shock as much as he could, he made the announcement.

"10th prince Wang Eun, 13th Wang Baek Ah, Lady Hae Soo and Park Soon Deok to see Your Majesty and Your Highnesses." At the same time, he open the door just as Lady Hae rushes past him to the room. Even though he shouldn't, he could not help being curious, so he listened to the voices inside, or at least the voices he could hear.

"Soo-ya, what happened?" That was the 4th prince, of course he will be wondering why his wife was running.

"Running...you were running….just what was so important that you ran, don't you care about your health?" Any man will not like to see their wife running like the monsters of the forests were chasing them, that will explain the concern he could detect in the 4th prince's voice.

"Pyeha, we met Woo Hee. We met Uncle Hui's niece." The 10th prince and the 13th prince's voices combined in this sentence.

"Ji Mong, summon the royal doctor. Soo-ya, please be careful," that was Pyeha. Pheya talking so informally with his newest daughter-in-law. So it was true that Lady Hae was one of Pyeha's most favorite ladies in the palace. "Crown Prince, secretly investigate the people involved. Baek Ah-ya, try to approach the lady if you are inclined, same with you Eun. Jung-ah, you help your older brother guide back Soo. So, get the counter plans in place."

That was all he could hear before once again the court's doors were open and the royals came out. This time, all the princes except the Crown Prince came out of the room together, and they all wore an expression of concern and worry on their face. He saw the closed off cold expression on the 4th face. It seemed that he was angry, he hoped his wife could handle her angry husband and calm him down otherwise tomorrow it will be the officials who will deal with the rumored temper of the 4th prince during the morning assembly.