Eleventh Chapter

My Cyber World

I felt something warm and soft brush against my chin before my head was gently pulled to the side, back to the original position, and thus making me stare right into Sung Yeol’s eyes. Though, I let my gaze sink to the ground. And I didn’t have any powers left to push him away; I didn’t want anyone to see, less either see my face in this state.

“Who did this to you?” his voice was sharp and tore right into my chest. I couldn’t tell him who did this because everything would only turn out worse. That’s if Sung Yeol thought about knocking down Sangmin again. And if he did that, then I would be the one suffering in the end.

I kept my mouth sealed, and it didn’t take long before I could hear that he was starting to grow impatient. Though, he didn’t move from his place and kept asking that same question, over and over again.

“You, you did this.” I said back while looking up at him with tears stinging my eyes. I could see how his jaw tightened and I felt a bit bad. I knew it wasn’t fair, but it was maybe the only thing I could do in order for him to never help me out like that again. Because then it would turn out like this, or maybe even worse.

“Don’t talk to hyung like that.” MyungSoo shot at me, his voice unpleasant and scary. But he was right, I had no right to talk to Sung Yeol like that, it wasn’t he who had beaten me up.

“You need to get to a hospital to get that checked.” Sung Yeol’s spoke as he helped me up onto my legs. A loud voice in my head told me no. I couldn’t go to the hospital. I was Yoo Hwani and no one could get to know about this, because then it’ll be in the newspapers and magazines. And I know that Mr and Mrs. Yoo would appreciate that.

“I can’t.”

They both stopped what they were doing before they looked at me. I already knew what was going through their minds. “Don’t you understand, no one can know about this, absolutely no one or else everything will only get worse.” I immediately regretted that I had said that as soon as it had left my tongue.

Before further ado I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder, and then made my way passed them both. They can’t help me, because no one understands how it feels like being hit every other day, and not being concerned about.

Once I was back on the streets again, I searched for the picture of my mother that I thought I had placed down in my pocket. But it soon came up to me that I hadn’t done so. It must’ve slipped out of my hands when MyungSoo appeared.

‘Oh please god let it be on the roof.’ I ranted over and over again in my mind. I hurried as much as I could back to school before I climbed the staircase for the third time that day. After reaching the top I took a deep breath, wishing that the picture would be there, plus that Sung Yeol and MyungSoo would be gone.

The wind brushed against my bruised face as I opened the door and stepped outside, onto the roof. I immediately rushed to the place where I had been seated and to my relief the picture was still there. Carefully I picked it up before I let it slide down in my pocket with a satisfying feeling in my heart.

But as I was passing by the classrooms one by one I had turned careless. I forgot to keep my look out for Sangmin. And I lost again. Because even though the clock had hit a bit past 6PM it didn’t mean that I was safe.

My body was harshly pushed against a wall before one of his hands took a steady grip around my throat. That’s when I saw his face. It had new bruises, and his nose had a plaster. Someone had actually broken his nose. Then it came up to me, Sung Yeol. He asked me who had beaten me up. He must’ve thought that it was Sangmin because of the other day.

“You really seem to have a death wish.” His hand pressed harder against my throat and I was starting to panic. Was he really going to suffocate me now? Was my life really going to end inside the school? I could feel how the air was slowly leaving me, and my head was becoming lighter.

I started to hit him all that I could while I was gasping for air. Though, it didn’t make any difference, because my body was too weak. I didn’t have any strength left. And honestly I was starting to give in bit by bit, accepting the fact that this was really it when I heard someone yelling. Which caused Sangmin to let go and I plunged to the floor while panting hard.

“What are you doing?” I found myself staring up at the person that had saved my life, and my eyes widened. Yong Sook. He hadn’t been to school today, or yesterday. So why was he here now? Was he the one that had beaten the crap out of Sangmin? Then it wasn’t Sung Yeol.

“You shouldn’t interrupt other people’s business.” Sangmin threatened. I wonder, I don’t think Yong Sook knows who Sangmin is. At least I don’t think so. “Let’s go.” Yong Sook pulled me up on my feet’s before he started to pull me along. Though, as we were walking on the street I told him to stop, before I hesitantly asked him if he know who that was.

“No, should I?”

Hm, then it couldn’t be Yong Sook who beat Sangmin up. If the guy doesn’t know who he is then it can’t be him. “Ah, aniyo.” My words came out as a stutter and I noticed how he stared at me with this expression, I couldn’t tell what he was thinking.

“I need to go.” I was trying to sound as cheerful and unconcerned as possible, I didn’t want Sangmin to worry, and I bet he already has enough to think about. And to add even more wouldn’t be fair to him.

“You sure?” his expression changed and it almost looked like he was eager to know what was going on inside my head. But I couldn’t tell him. At least not right now. I nodded twice before ensuring him that I was alright. I don’t think he bought it, nonetheless he let it slip and I felt relieved.

“Then I’ll see you at school.” I bid goodbye and then practically rushed away from there. But then another problem occurred, where was I going to stay now? Staying at a hotel would be too expensive, and I had no idea where my real relatives lived. That’s if they even would let me inside their house.

I heard how my stomach roared, I hadn’t eaten anything today since Sangmin took away my lunchtime. I searched for my purse and then went to a street vendor. It was cheap and tasteful, so why not.

Once I had filled my stomach with fish cake and ddeokbokki I pulled my bag over my shoulder before I started to wander the streets again, with the question of where I was going to stay tonight in mind.