Ninth Chapter

My Cyber World

I hadn’t slept for the whole night, Sangmin’s words kept me awake. Would he really go after me if I didn’t return home? Honestly, I didn’t want to know, it was better to not know.

I slipped out of the bed as the sun were rising outside, it was three hours left until school would start, and I needed to get my mind set on other things. I couldn’t worry about being scared all the time. So after taking a quick shower, I placed myself in front of my laptop and started to type away.

There was this special page I would always log onto when I felt like talking, no one knew who I was and that made everything a lot easier. I could stay up the whole night just talking to people, because there I didn’t need to show myself. They didn’t have to know about how I looked, how ugly my face was. I could show my true self there.

Something I couldn’t do outside the Internet because no one was interested, no one listened to what I wanted. It was always about everyone else.

Plus, on that page you could keep a small diary, which you could choose to show to other people. And I was a frequent updater of that page. Though I never included my stories and photos of what Sangmin did to me. That would be too weird. No. Instead I wrote about what had happened during school and on my free-time. Mostly I lied about everything, how great my life was just so that people would talk to me.

But today, for once I wrote the truth. That someone had helped me out in getting rid of a bully and that I was truly thankful to that person. I guess this was a way to thank Sung Yeol since I couldn’t thank him in person.

And right after I had posted up the diary entry a chat-box popped up, telling me that someone wanted to talk. I pressed it and saw what the person had written. A cold chill of fear ran down my spine as I glared at the one sentence that was written.

‘You are not safe anywhere.’

My heart began to pump faster and I slammed the laptop shut instantly. Was this it? Had Sangmin found me? I shot a glance towards the door, wondering whether he would come rushing in. I needed to get away from here now.

I shot up from the chair and began to pack down all my belongings before I grabbed my laptop and safely put it down in the bag. It was most precious thing, along with a picture of my real mother. Plus, inside the laptop I had all the pictures and dates of when I was beaten up. Because it was the only evidence I had against them.

The clock had hit a bit past 7AM when I darted out from the room and made my way towards the reception so I could check-out and also pay for the really few days I had stayed there. A lady greeted me with a warm smile as I walked up to the reception disk and sat down my bag on the floor.

“Annyeonghaseyo, how may I help you?” she asked with that smile still plastered on her lips.

“I would like to check-out.” I answered as she then asked what my name was so that she could type it in the computer before her, in order to see how much I owned her. And so I did. But it wasn’t my real name, it was a fake one. I used my mother’s name, Park Soo Young.

“It’ll be 100 000₩ (100$).” I searched for some money in my pocket and then reached them over to her. It was all over in about five minutes and I found myself in deep thoughts as I was walking towards the closest subway station. Where would I stay now? Was this really what I had to do every other day, change my place of living?

I groaned silently when it came up to me that I had to bring my bag with all my belongings to school, there was this slight problem with that. Where would I put it, I couldn’t drag it inside the classroom and it was too big for the shoe locker, which meant that I needed to hide it somewhere that no one would go.

On the roof would be perfect, because no one were allowed to go up there, though I think I could sneak up those stairs without anyone knowing. When the gates opened I rushed as fast as I could towards the school and the staircase that would lead me up to the roof. Hopefully no one would see me or else I would be in big trouble.

It hadn’t always been a restricted area, but last year a senior jumped off the building and killed herself. So after that, no one was allowed to go up there. Of course there were always those who broke the rules anyway, just like I would do right now.

I took a last glance over my shoulder before I brought out a pin from my pocket and slid it inside the locker. I pushed the door open once it clicked and then waited for the door to shut behind me before I stepped up the stairs. Another door greeted me, though that one wasn’t locked, mainly because no one where suppose to surpass the first one.

After that I found the perfect spot behind one of the walls I placed the bag down and bid farewell for now. I told it that I would come and pick it up in a few hours, though I couldn’t deny that I was afraid that someone might find it. But honestly, it was worse to bring it into the classroom.

It didn’t take long before I could hear the bell ringing and I scrambled down the stairs and then carefully opened the door so that no one would take notice. I was begging inside my head that I would escape safely.

I managed to get to my homeroom door before I could hear someone calling my name out loud, my eyes widened and my whole body tensed. Had I been caught of sneaking up on the roof? Slowly, ever so slowly did I turn around. It wasn’t a teacher as I thought I would be; it was a student.

My body relaxed when I saw that it was Sung Yeol and no one else standing before me, his smile spread across his lips. How can he be so happy all the time? Well, it was the most exclusive school in Korea so I guessed that his life was pretty decent and luxurious, unlike mine.

“Incoming” someone yelled and before I knew it I was pushed to the side, my shoulder hit the wall harshly and I groaned slightly at the pain that erupted, though my mind went totally blank when I felt something grabbing my hand. My defense mechanism set in and I back away as I pulled my hand back.

No one could touch me, absolutely no one.

I shifted my stare from the floor and fixed them on his face, his smile had faded a bit. As if he weren’t too sure of what had just happened. I bowed hastily before I disappeared into my homeroom and thus leaving Sung Yeol standing there on his own.