Twentyfourth Chapter

My Cyber World

I had been released from the hospital, finally. Not only did I have to stay over the night just so they could check that everything was okay. But the awkwardness that suddenly crept on when Yong Sook was close bothered me. Because I wondered why it suddenly felt like that when it had never done that before.

Either how, I was back at Yong Sook’s place again while preparing for school as well as taking care of Sooni. It felt like it was years since I’d last seen her.

“I’m going to bed.” I stated and then said goodnight to Yong Sook who showed me a small smile while saying goodnight as well. Though, I wasn’t going to bed just yet, I pressed the power button on my laptop. I tried to muffle the sound from the laptop as much as possible with placing the pillow over it.

For once my praises came true; the sound couldn’t be heard as I typed away on it. I was trying to keep myself as quiet as possible so that Yong Sook wouldn’t be able to hear. Actually the doctor told me this morning that I shouldn’t sit that much in front of the computer because it can cause my eyes to hurt a bit extra than usual since my brain was still a bit sore.

When Sangmin hit me that day, my brain had swelled and caused it to press against my skull and therefore I collapsed and ended up in a coma.

I guess that’s why he has been so protective over me ever since we got home from the hospital, though I couldn’t see this as my home, because it wasn’t like we where either married or together. Actually I don’t think I could ever see Yong Sook as someone I could be together with. Maybe that was because it felt as if I’d known him for so long that it would only be awkward.

Once I had logged onto my account there was new threatening sentences and comments. Yet, I weren’t that bothered any more. Because the only persons that means the most to me is no longer in my life and therefore I’d done what the person said. I was keeping myself away from them, something that I didn’t want to.

I pressed answer and a pop-up page showed. I was going to write to the person.

‘I’ve done what you told me, I’m going to stay away from them, but you have to promise me that you won’t hurt them.’ I examined what I’d written a few times before I pressed send and the page disappeared and I immediately felt worn out and depressed. But this was the best for everyone. Not only for Sung Yeol and MyungSoo but for me as well, because I wouldn’t have to bear the burden of knowing that something terrible happened.

I waited and waited for at least half an hour before a reply came.

‘That’s good; I’m not going to hurt them as long as you keep your promise.’ My heart sank once again as I closed the lid shut and let it down on the floor, before I laid my back against the mattress and stared up at the ceiling.

The Seoul nightlife was pumping outside the window and for once I found it hard to sleep. It was rather unusual knowing that I normally didn’t have any problems with falling asleep. So why was it so hard this time?

I was turning around, around and around. Totally unable to get any sleep. I kicked the duvet off of me as I then slipped out of bed and got dressed into some comfortable clothes. After doing so I carefully opened the bedroom door and tip-toed over to the hallway and my shoes and jacket, which I took on. With a last glance on the sleeping Yong Sook I grabbed his keys and exited the apartment before I locked it.

This had to be the first time I ever took a night walk. Usually I would be sleeping right or placed in front of the laptop at this point, but not tonight.

I shivered a bit when I stepped outside and the cold air hit my face, though it was rather nice and fresh as well. Honestly, I didn’t know where I would go so I just started to walk in a direction. I would probably know when enough was enough.

The streets were filled with all kinds of people, couples holding hands while walking towards their destination. High school students that shouldn’t be out at this time just like me and then there were those people who’d been drinking and were on their way home. But I tried to not look at them as I passed them by because I sure didn’t want to upset any of them. Since I weren’t too sure of what they could do.

But as I was about to turn a corner I bumped into someone and I felt how a cold liquid splashed against my jacket and face. Unconsciously I it and made a face when I noticed that it was beer.

“Yah.” I glanced up on the person in front of me and jolted back a little when I saw that it was not just one person, but three of them standing before me. “I-I’m sorry.” I stuttered as I fixed my gaze on the ground as I started to fell my pockets in order to see if I had any money on me, but of course there was nothing. I had even forgotten to bring my phone with me.

“A sorry won’t get my beer back, pay up.” he roared at me, and for the first time in a very long time I began to grow terrified. Images of my dad haunted my mind as the man crept closer before he finally grabbed my jacket and started to drag me along with him.

“If you can’t pay, then you’ll have to work.” He laughed amused as he pulled my jacket even harder as I tried to get away. This was getting really bad, especially since I didn’t know what he was going to do to me. And honestly, who would win a fight. A man in his late thirties, about 180cm tall and about 70-80kg, or a really soon to be eighteen year old that stands 160cm over the ground and weights 48kg. Go figure, I don’t think it’s that hard to see who would win.

I was growing tired of all the pulling and yanking from my side, and was on the verge to just follow through. But there was one last thing I would do. I leaned forward and bit his hand and it didn’t take long before he released his grip as he screamed in pain, and I made a go for it. Once I was about fifty – sixty meters from them I stopped and turned around to see if they were still going after me.

They were.

I began to run even faster, yet as I glanced behind me it felt as if they had crept closer and I began to panic, and that I had no clue of where to run didn’t make anything easier either. Tears began to form as I ran past someone I thought looked fairly familiar. But instead of stopping I continued to run for my life as I heard how the three men were yelling at me from behind.

Out of nowhere my head started to hurt and I came to a halt while burying my head in my hands. That’s when I felt something brush against my arm before someone grabbed it and yanked my body to the side. I guess this was really it.

I had closed my eyes so that I wouldn’t have to look at that horrible man as I was being pushed against something hard and cold, probably a wall or something like that. Though my eyes flew open when I felt his breath against my face, or at least that’s what I thought. But the person before me was not that man.

My heart rate exhilarated at the sight of his face so close to mine. No one had made me feel like this before, not even Sung Yeol.