Twentyninth Chapter

My Cyber World

My dreams had been invaded by everything that happened the previous day, with the suicide attempt from my side, to MyungSoo somewhat saving me and making my day much better and of course the picture when he was smiling. He had given it to me not long after my stupid comment that made me feel embarrassed the whole day.

But on the counterpart, he had made me happier than I’d ever been in years. For me, that was probably the best birthday present I ever got. Even though it was two days left until my birthday and luckily it didn’t occur on a school day, because today was Friday.

“Hwani, time to get up.” Yong Sook was banging on the bedroom door and I told him that I was on my way. Sooni immediately reacted when I slipped out of bed and she eagerly jumped down from the bed and fallowed after me out from the room. But instead of coming with me to the bathroom she went to her food and began to eat her breakfast.

Sooni had grown a lot since the day I found her and that was a relief. The best about her was that she loved to cuddle, something that I’d never experienced. When I was younger no one ever gave me a hug when I felt sad. Maybe when I was really young and dad hadn’t start drinking, but it wasn’t like I could remember so much from that time.

And when Yong Sook was at work the two of us would lie in the couch and watch some television together. Just something simple as that could make me happier, especially since Sooni was around. Honestly I was still feeling bad about taking up space in Yong Sook’s already tiny apartment, but he always told me that it was okay and that there was nothing to worry about. We were friends and he knew that I didn’t have anywhere else to go, yet sometimes I felt really awful for putting him through all this.

But it wasn’t like I hadn’t been out looking for an apartment, because I truly had. But they always told me that they didn’t want a high school student because they would only cause trouble. So of course had that made me even more depressed but curious as well.

To how Yong Sook got an apartment when he too is a high school student, plus he’s been living in an orphan for his whole life until they kicked him out. But maybe it was them who had gotten him the apartment so that he wouldn’t have to sleep on the streets.

“Hwani, hurry.” Yong Sook was impatiently banging on the bathroom door this time. I smiled slightly as I turned off the water and hurriedly dried myself before I started to put on the uniform as fast as I could. “I’m done.” I darted out through the bathroom and went to get my things from the room, my cell phone, my bag, all the school stuff I would need and then finally my bus/subway card so that I would be able to get to school.

I gently placed a kiss on Sooni’s head and then said goodbye before I fallowed after Yong Sook out. This was for sure going to be a long day since I didn’t know what to expect because of yesterday’s incident. Or could you say incidents since it was more than one thing that happened, suicide attempt, MyungSoo knocking Sangmin down and then the two of us skipping school.

It made me think about what Yong Sook said yesterday when I got home from being with MyungSoo. He had grabbed my shoulders tightly and asked me what was wrong for even thinking about doing such a thing. I know it’s not the way to solve your problems, but at that time it was.

Once we were outside the school, students were pointing and gossiping about me, because it weren’t like they were any discrete when speaking. But I just ignored them and entered the school like it was any other day. But I soon got to understand that it wasn’t when I heard how the school gate guard told me to go to the principal’s office, again. I said a low goodbye and see you soon to Yong Sook before I wandered off towards the unknown.

As I passed by the corridors students shoot me hateful comments, but for me that was not something unusual. I were already used to those kinds of words that they didn’t bother me anymore, well unless it came from either one of those three. Then I would be hurt.

With a somewhat heavy heart did I open the door to the office of where the principal was seated; he immediately took notice of my presence. “Sit.” I did as I was told and sat down in front of his desk as he started to type away on the computer before him.

“Do you know how many times you’ve been called in here?” he suddenly spoke, but without lifting his gaze from the screen. I uttered a low no; because honestly it was so many times that I had already lost count.

“Since you started you’ve been here 28 times, everything from ditching school, wearing a boys uniform, coming to school looking like you have been in a fight and then finally now, a suicide attempt on school’s property, on a place where no students are allowed.”

I didn’t say anything; I didn’t have anything to say so I kept my mouth shut.

“If it weren’t for that your parents donate so much money to the school, then you would’ve been thrown out a long time ago. Why can’t you be more like your older brother? Obedient, good grades and a nice personality – a perfect student.”

If he only knew, Sangmin was not obedient, he was cheating on tests and such so he didn’t earn those great grades and lastly, he was not nice. He was horrible. A two-faced devil, that’s what he is.

Once he was finished I bowed and then left. My heart was numb and in total chaos at everything that was happening. I hated it, if I could just run away to the end of the world, then I would. But I couldn’t when the whole Yoo family was threatening me. At least I had my laptop with everything that they have done to me saved. So when the time was right I would hand it over to the police, but I couldn’t at this point. Not when that person on the Internet were threatening to hurt Sung Yeol and MyungSoo.

I returned to my homeroom and my place at the back next to the window. The trees were swaying every time the strong wind came in contact with them; I stared up at the sky. It was gray and dull, and it looked as if it was going to rain. That reminded me that I had detention after school, with MyungSoo. I blushed slightly as I shielded my face away from everyone. I didn’t want anyone to see that I was blushing.

“Is something wrong?” I jumped a bit when I heard Yong Sook’s low voice. I turned towards him as I debated with myself whatever I was going to tell him that I thought I liked MyungSoo. After all, Yong Sook and I could never be an item. I had never seen him like that. My eagerness got the better of me and I blushed even harder when I told him that I might like MyungSoo.

I saw how his mouth twitched slightly, I guessed he must’ve been surprised at my suddenly so honest words. Usually I would just tell him that it was nothing, but this time I actually told him that MyungSoo made me feel like this. But it was not only happy feelings inside my heart, awkward and bothersome as well.

Sung Yeol; I had kissed him, but there hadn’t been that special feeling inside my heart that I felt when I was with MyungSoo. Maybe I didn’t like Sung Yeol like that, only like a really close friend. My smile disappeared at the thought of what was going to happen.

I didn’t know what to do.