Thirtyninth Chapter

My Cyber World

The three of us had been led inside a room where were told to wait for a little while. I nervously picked the skin on my palm and when a police officer stepped inside I could feel how my pulse increased. I shot up to my feet’s and bowed as deep as I could when I heard that he introduced himself as Oh Kang Dae; I straightened my back and waited for the officer to sit down.

“Please sit down.” The man in front of me pointed with his whole hand at the chairs as he told the three of us to sit. “So what is it that you wanted to report?” he asked and I shifted uncomfortably in the chair as I glanced over towards Sung Yeol who put the USB on the table. I watched how the police man stared at it before shifting his gaze between the three of us while asking what it was.

I stared down at the floor in embarrassment over what they’d done to me.

“You need to look at what’s on it.” MyungSoo added in and I heard how something scratched against the table, I guessed that the police man had taken the USB. “I’ll be right back.” He left of and complete silence filled the room. None of us spoke. I didn’t know what to say and I bet they didn’t either. Well, I wondered what you were supposed to say in a situation like this.

Minutes passed by and I heard how the door creaked open, which caused me to look up and the same officer stood there with a laptop in his hands. This was truly it; someone would actually see everything they had done to me. Of course I didn’t know whether Sung Yeol had seen everything that was stored in my laptop. Did MyungSoo know as well?

There was another minute of silence as officer Kang Dae was typing on the laptop before he inserted the USB and pressed a few more keys. That was before I heard how a video clip was started, and the screams of terror that boomed inside the room sent shivers down my spine. There were my screams of when Sangmin was beating me up.

Sitting there and listening to everything sent the urge of wanting to throw up through my body, and I scrambled to my feet’s before I rushed out as I headed for the bathroom. My stomach growled in despair as I hovered over the toilet.

I splashed my face with ice cold water after I’d rinsed my mouth from the disgusting aftertaste. This was surely bothering me more than I thought it would. I glanced up at the mirror and caught sight of my reflection, my eyes was watery and bloodshot. It almost looked like I hadn’t gotten any sleep at all these past days.

Well it was already pretty late right now, if not already past midnight.

I returned to the room and as I stepped inside I got the attention from everyone. Both Sung Yeol and MyungSoo gave me looks of worry but I smiled reassuringly as I mouthed that everything was okay. They didn’t need to worry at all. Once I placed myself down on the chair again the police man asked me who the people in the videos were. I took a long deep breath.

“They are Yoo Jaeyoon, Yoo Yeon Seo and their son Yoo Sangmin.” I spoke but there were no power or confidence in my voice because I weren’t sure if he’d believe me, but I saw that he reacted slightly at their names. I was guessing that he knew who they were. But then again, both Sung Yeol and MyungSoo had seen that Sangmin had hit me, they were witnesses as well. But about Yong Sook, there was no proof or witnesses. It was only my words and I knew that you couldn’t prosecute someone on only a statement. Even I knew that much.

“May I ask you what you’re relation to these people are?” I know that they would ask me that and I replied that I were their daughter, I included that I got adopted by them when I were 13. He didn’t ask anything more after that and instead left the room as he told us to wait.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Sung Yeol’s calm and reserved voice brought me out of my thoughts and I smiled slightly at the both of them. “I’m alright, no need to worry.” I lied, both my heart and mind was having a small breakdown. This was truly something that bothered me, even though they had hurt me a lot. They were still people who’d put a roof over my head, fed me and bought me anything I wanted. Even though they hadn’t given me the thing I wanted the most, which was love and care I were still grateful to them.

There was a light knock on the door before it opened, but this time it weren’t just Kang Dae stepping inside, but a female police as well. Was this turning into a public circus?

“Hello, my name is Uhm Chan Ae.” The police woman introduced herself as she bowed her he slightly before she placed herself down on a chair next to Kang Dae. “Would you mind to tell me how long you’ve been abused?” I didn’t know why I felt so surprised when she asked me that, because that was also something you’d be asked when coming here with all those things on a USB.

“For two years, they’d beat me up every time they had a chance to, especially Sangmin.” Tears was welling up inside of me, threatening to spill as I heard her ask me what I think caused them to start abusing me. I knew what had made them begin and I felt so embarrassed and disgusting about it and I lowered my head in shame.

“S – Sangmin he, he tried to me, and when I told my parents that they didn’t believe me. They told me that I was a liar.” I stuttered out low as I felt how my tears escaped and ran down. I jumped startled when I heard how the door was opened and harshly shut close. It caused me to stare up from the floor and look at the direction of where Sung Yeol and MyungSoo was seated. None of them were there.

They had left.

“I’m sorry.” I broke out in a sob as I buried my head in my hands and cried. There were a few moments of silence before I felt a hand on my shoulder and a calming voice telling me that it’s not my fault. But why did it feel like that, why did it feel like if I hadn’t said anything to Mr and Mrs. Yoo about what Sangmin had tried to do, then maybe this hadn’t happened.

I let my tears flow; I needed to get it all out before I could turn my attention back to the officers and their questions. That’s if they had more questions. After a minute I dried my tears and looked up with watery eyes at them. Sung Yeol and MyungSoo hadn’t returned yet, and I was pretty sure that they wouldn’t do so either.

“Do you know how we can get in touch with these people?” Kang Dae joined into the conversation and I searched for my phone that I luckily had picked up before I left. But I only had Yong Sook’s phone number in it.

“I don’t have their phone numbers, but I do have someone else’s phone number. He has threatened me as well. Sangmin and he joined together in an attempt to drive me into committing suicide. Of course I only have my words on this. But I think that if you talk with him, he’ll give you more information about Sangmin. And my parents are in the US for work.”

I saw that they looked at each other before turning towards me again as they asked for Yong Sook’s phone number, and if I knew where he lived. I told them about his whereabouts without even hesitating. Kang Dae left the room and I could only guess on what he was going to do, probably bring Yong Sook in but I weren’t too sure.

“If I were you I would lay low for a while, take some time away from everything and prepare for a possible trial.” Chan Ae explained and I nodded my head once as in that I understood where she was going. I needed to get away from here.

I stood up and bowed, only to come to a halt when Chan Ae told me that they were going to contact me if something else came up. I gave her a small smile and exited. They both stood there, MyungSoo leaning against the wall with the hugest frown I’ve ever seen, I shifted my gaze towards Sung Yeol, he didn’t look rather happy he either.

“I’m sorry that you had to listen to that.” I hung my head and waited for any of them to say something, but it was dead quiet and that made my heart sink even deeper. Were they mad at me? “Please don’t be mad.” I practically begged them and I saw how Sung Yeol raised his head to look at me.

“What did they say?”

“Nothing much, they told me that I should go away for the time being, I’m pretty sure it’s because my family are so well known that it’ll be a huge media circus.” I explained as Sung Yeol nodded. “I guess you should do that then.” He stated and I stared at him not quite understanding what he meant by that.

“You should leave Seoul.” he explained further and I let out a low laugh at his supposed to be joke. “I can’t just leave, it’s a lot of money were talking about and then there’s school.” it weren’t like I didn’t want to leave Seoul, but I could just leave. It’s expensive, especially since I wouldn’t have a place to stay at, plus school, I couldn’t just leave like that.

“Don’t worry so much.” MyungSoo butted in and I shifted my gaze between the two of them, it felt as if there was something they weren’t telling me. “Is there something you aren’t telling me?” I wondered and they both gazed at me with a smirk, before they both grabbed each of my hands and started to drag me along. But even though it was an alarming situation for anyone to be dragged away like that, I weren’t scared. Because I knew they wouldn’t hurt me.

~~

Next chapter will probably be the last one =)