Chapter 54

Delphinium - But if I were to give it a name it would be yours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 54 - We, Monsta X

do solemnly swear on our honor, lives and everything that we have to the X Clan that we will defend ourselves.

 

“Are you, like, one hundred percent sure this will work?” Jooheon asked for what seemed to be the hundredth time and Changkyun rolled his eyes with a sigh.

“I told you, I know my stuff. I won't half- things when we're about to break into a police station-thingy.”

Kihyun nodded. “Right, I never thought stealing was good for him but seeing how it will be useful now, I'm actually glad I didn't throw those masks away.”

I walked shortly behind them with a slight smile though it didn't lessen my tension. I looked at the mask in my hands, an ugly white thing with holes for the eyes and mouth in it. Better than nothing, I didn't want any camera to catch my face or I'd lose all of my spy privileges. Who knew if they could still be of use later, I couldn't give such a valuable trait up for nothing.

Minhyuk was being carried by Jooheon at the moment, the younger insisting on it when Minhyuk had started growing tired after an hour. Yes, he had been much better when we headed out but that didn't change the fact that he was feverish. I hadn't wanted him to tag along but he wouldn't let it go no matter what I said so I was glad Jooheon had offered to give him a piggyback ride.

“You know, these masks are pretty ugly”, Wonho chimed in with a pout on his face only to get hit by Kihyun's crutch and I directed my gaze towards the blond, thinking of the previous evening.

We were sitting around the table after dinner, all five of us planning how to get Shownu out of his cell. Minhyuk was avoiding the topic of his memories at all cost but the other three didn't press it either so things were going well when the door opened and five pairs of eyes landed on Wonho. A few moments passed during which he just blinked at Minhyuk before he dashed forward almost stumbling over the furniture to get to him. “Minhyuk, oh my God”, he just uttered before pulling the white-haired guy to his feet and enclosing him in a tight hug. “I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I didn't know what...I-I didn't think...”

His voice trailed off and I watched as Minhyuk closed his eyes, leaning into the hug for a moment. “I'm fine.”

“That's a lie.”

“Do me a favor and believe it.”

Another short silence emitted during which not even Changkyun dared to say a thing until Wonho took a deep breath and broke away from Minhyuk with a smile that screamed fake. “If that's what you want me to do. Don't...Don't bury yourself again. I need my sunflower.”

Minhyuk the hair out of Wonho's face and nodded. “Sure. But now sit down, we need your help.”

Wonho was all in for our plan the moment I said we'd get Shownu out of prison and that's how it was now all six of us walking down the streets during the last two hours of sunlight. Every time I got to witness what Wonho was like around the other Monsta X members I felt like I was wronging him. He wasn't just the flirt he pretended to be, wasn't some psycho sadist who enjoyed breaking people with anxieties like me, no. Deep down in his heart he was a lump of uncertainty and worry just like each and every single one of us.

According to Kihyun we were only about twenty minutes away from the station and he and Changkyun separated from our group for a while to go to the nearest stores and get what they needed for our plan after giving us further way instructions. Jooheon let Minhyuk down upon his order and the latter stretched his limbs. “I could have walked on my own.”

“You could have out on your own”, Jooheon retorted in a mocking tone causing Minhyuk to sigh with a shake of his head.

I glanced at him. “You sure you're okay?”

“I'm better”, he replied casually but his eyes didn't allow any further questioning and I pressed my lips together, massaging my temples.

“Okay, so, about the plan-”

“You and Jooheon get in, Kihyun observes from a safe distance because of his leg, Wonho, Changkyun and I cause the distraction once the two get back with the cans. Easy and not worth another explanation”, Minhyuk recited with a smug grin that had me close my eyes with a sigh.

“I just don't want anything to go wrong, okay? This is somewhat like when- Ah, never mind.”

“Let me guess: Sangwon? Yeah, I thought so”, he replied but changed the topic upon seeing Wonho's and Jooheon's confused faces. “Now, what shall we paint on the walls? Any ideas?”

Jooheon kicked the gravel with his hands buried in his pockets. “Something that goes against China, anything is fine.”

“Something beautiful, not just random swearwords, please”, Wonho mentioned and they talked amongst each other until Changkyun came out of an alley all of a sudden, carrying two big milky plastic canisters with his mask still on. Kihyun soon followed behind with a bunch of smaller metal cans in his backpack.

“Everything clear?”, I asked and they both nodded.

Wonho was quick to take one of the canisters lifting it like it weighed nothing and we walked for five more minutes until Changkyun said we were almost there. “We'll have to split up now.”

I agreed and switched over to my more serious and calculating mode while Kihyun gave his bag to Changkyun. “Alright, you know the plan. If anything goes wrong, retreat. We will manage somehow and Kihyun will do his best to warn us if possible. Any questions left?” They all shook their heads and I took a deep breath before smiling at them. “Alright then. Give them hell.”

 

________________

 

I can't say I wasn't nervous but what overpowered my worries was how fascinating Hyungwon was when he was getting down to business. It was like I went back in time to when we had first met and it made me realize just how much he had changed in the few months he had spent with us. Calculating Hyungwon looked deadly and though it was meant to be intimidating I was happy. Happy about the fact that he was trying to plan this out so that nobody could be harmed. I knew he didn't like falling back into military patterns but he did it anyway. Because we, all of Monsta X, were worth making use of his skills.

I grabbed his hand and squeezed it for a moment with my eyes sending him signals that I would be fine and he shouldn't be worried as damn much, then we separated leaving me with Wonho and Changkyun.

The prior had apologized for wanting to drug me and the way he said it made clear how bad of a conscience he had. I forgave him. I would probably have been the same, hell, I couldn't even explain why I talked to Hyungwon about everything in the first place, it was a mystery of its own.

I wasn't back to my smiling self yet, didn't know if I could even return to that now that I remembered everything, but I was much better than before. The images were still shocking, images I had replayed for four days now but I clung to my newfound courage. I had other family members. Six of them. Monsta X was all I had needed for years, why should I let my memories change that fact? I could go on as long as they were by my side and I would do anything to protect them because they'd do the same for me.

Changkyun still had his mask on and I watched as Wonho pulled his over his head before doing the same. It was time. The youngest glanced over at us with a sneer. “Alright, they do look ridiculous.”

“Told you, you idiot.”

“Guys, focus, please”, I stopped them right away, blinking the dizziness out of my mind when Changkyun gave me two of the metal cans they had bought – or stolen, I wouldn't know. A grin broke out on my face upon seeing white and some purplish blue. I like white more. I like simplicity, Hyungwon's voice randomly echoed in my head and I shook mine to get my thoughts back on track. “Okay. One of the canisters needs to go into the the building next door.”

“I'll do that, I have the most strength”, Wonho mumbled and Changkyun nodded in approval, watching the older head out.

I chewed on my lower lip with a swallow. “Be careful. It burns really well and-”

“I know fire is hot”, he laughed to put us at ease, “but I'm hotter.”

I rolled my eyes, glad to have him around. It wouldn't have been the same without Wonho and I watched him leave through a dark side alley, the sun having almost set by then. We waited for five minutes just like Hyungwon had said and then stored the second canister behind a corner before heading towards the backside of the police station. It wasn't a prison, there were no guards on the outside but I could see the cameras observing everything that was going on.

Changkyun and I exchanged another glance, then we shook our cans and started spraying. Anything will be fine. Just make sure some of them are already outside when the fire starts next door. Run and hide as soon as they get too close. I nodded to myself reciting Hyungwon's instructions and started spraying to my heart's content, creating a blue flower with white snowflakes falling down.

I then glanced over at Changkyun who had chosen the colors red and black for himself and my eyes widened in surprise to see the beautiful and curvy letters he had written. Suddenly a bunch of loud voices could be heard from our left and we spun around to see people in black uniforms run towards us. Changkyun was in a hurry to finish his masterpiece with a simple black 'X' on the window before grabbing me by the wrist and running off into the darkening streets.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter