A Broken Family

Hey, Playgirl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVp4HmLu8R4 

Soomin came downstairs after taking a shower. She cautiously stepped into the living room, afraid to face her parents. Her eyes widened when she saw Chaejin sitting on the couch. He was sitting up straight, his back rigid.

"Ch-chaejin? What are you doing here?" Soomin asked. He turned and looked at her, his face was filled with pure relief. "Soomin, you're alright!" He exclaimed, running up and throwing his arms around her.

"Y-yeah. I am. But, you never answered my question." She said.

"Yes, we would like to know too." Mr. Shim spoke up. Soomin flinched when she heard his voice. His tone was cold, causing shivers to run through Soomin's body. She wondered what exactly had happened to the tone he used when she was younger, the warm and gentle voice he used to speak to her with.

*Oh, right. I turned into the 'ty' disgrace of a daughter.* Soomin thought bitterly.

"Come and sit down you two." Mrs. Shim said, gesturing towards the couch. Soomin and Chaejin nervously made their way to the couch and took a seat. They both sat perfectly straight, as if slouching would make things worse.

"So, who exactly is he?" Mr. Shim said, not even glancing at Chaejin. "U-uh. I'm her boy-" Chaejin started to say. "I wasn't talking to you, was I? Soomin, who is this boy?" Mr. Shim said.

"He's my boyfriend." Soomin answered meekly. "Another boyfriend?! Don't you think you should spare him the heartbreak? He seems so innocent." Mrs. Shim said.

Both of Soomin's parents knew that Soomin never got serious in any relationship. There had been several times when she would break up with a guy while they were having dinner with her parents.

"He's different. I'm serious about this relationship." Soomin said.

"That's what you say every time. Look at what you've done. This poor boy should be at school right now, but since you have him in your clutches, he skipped just to take care of you." Mrs. Shim said.

Chaejin wanted to speak up, but he felt like he didn't have the right to. He felt his heart breaking as he was forced to sit back and watch his girlfriend break down before her parents.

"And what is this about being expelled?! I thought we told you to clean up your act. You need to stop treating life like it's just a game." Mr. Shim said, his words cut into Soomin's heart. He wasn't yelling but it still hurt.

"What exactly happened? We only heard that you beat up one of your classmates. What's the reason?" Mrs. Shim added.

"I-I...she.." Soomin trailed off. "What is it? Don't mumble and speak up!" Mr. Shim snapped. Soomin shrunk under his piercing gaze and sharp voice.

Soomin wasn't afraid of anyone. Anyone except her father. He was the only one who could turn the fierce and confident Soomin into a cowering and helpless puppy.

With his tall stature, his sharp features, and his nearly black eyes, he was an extremely intimidating person. Not to mention, his voice was deep and almost rugged, adding to his rough exterior.

"Look, we try to let you be independent and make your own decisions, but if you're going to be like this then we have no choice but to start taking more control over your daily life." Mr. Shim sighed.

"But, it wasn't my fault. It was the girl's fault. She provoked me!" Soomin said. Her father narrowed his eyes at her, instantly making her shrink back in fear.

"I don't care if she provoked you or not. You shouldn't have reacted violently." Mr. Shim said flatly.

"What happened to the sweet little girl that used to help me with the dishes all the time?" Mrs. Shim said. "We never taught you to act like that."

"Yeah, well you didn't teach me a lot of things after I turned thirteen. You practically left me to raise myself." Soomin muttered.

"What?! That is not true!" Mr. Shim yelled. In his anger, he had grabbed Soomin by the collar. Mrs. Shim gasped and grabbed his arm. Chaejin's eyes widened and he yanked Mr. Shim's fingers off.

"Hey! I know you're angry with her but please don't resort to physical violence." Chaejin said. Mr. Shim glared into his eyes, breathing heavily.

"Boy, I think you should leave. You have no right to be here right now. Go back to school." Mr. Shim said. Chaejin defiantly stared back at him.

"I have every right to be here. Soomin is my girlfriend and I promised to protect her and stay by her side." He stated. Soomin gently tugged on Chaejin's sleeve. He looked at her and his gaze softened.

"Please, just leave. You're only going to make things harder for me right now." Soomin whispered in his ear. Chaejin opened his mouth to protest but the sad look in Soomin's eyes shut him up.

"Okay. But I'm coming here right after school, alright? Don't you dare run away, okay?" He said. Soomin smiled a little and nodded. Chaejin kissed her on the cheek before he left. He glanced back at her one last time. Soomin made sure to look as confident as possible for him, to reassure him that she'd be alright.

Finally, Chaejin left the house, the door shutting with a 'click'. Soomin stared at it for a moment before turning to face her parents again.

Both her parents were giving her disapproving looks. "How did you turn into such a disappointment?" Mrs. Shim said, shaking her head. "We're fine with you dating as long as you commit to the relationship."

"But I am committed to this relationship." Soomin protested. Mrs. Shim just clucked her tongue disapprovingly and left the room.

Now, Soomin was left alone with her father. She wanted anything but to be left alone with him. It was much better when her mother was there.

Mr. Shim didn't say anything for a moment. He just scrutinized his daughter, his eyes cold and calculating. Soomin felt even more intimidiated by his silence.

And finally, he heaved a sigh. "I think I'm left with no choice but to ground you for a month." He said. Soomin's eyes widened. "Ground me? I'm not twelve anymore father!" Soomin shouted.

"We'll enroll you in another school. After school, you are to come straight home, no stopping on the way back. You must finish all your homework before seven and be in bed by nine. You cannot go out with friends on the weekends unless I approve. And, you certaintly cannot meet that boy anymore. You're going to be a bad influence on him." Mr. Shim said, a tone of finality in his voice.

He stood up and went into the kitchen, leaving a paralyzed Soomin behind. *Did that really just happen? I can't go out anymore. I can't stay up past nine. And worst of all, I can't meet Chaejin?*

Soomin felt her heart crumbling into dust. She felt absolutely helpless. Soomin screamed in anger and threw a pillow into the kitchen. "I ing hate you! Why are you treating me like a kid?!" She shrieked at her father.

"That's it, you're grounded for three months!" He yelled back. Soomin let out a frustrated scream and stormed up to her room. She slammed the door as loud as possible.

*I'm not a ing kid anymore! Why is he treating me like one?!*

Soomin collasped on her bed and grabbed a pillow. She screamed and yelled into, letting out all her anger and frustration. Her tears seeped into the soft fabric.

"Why am I treating you like a kid? Maybe because you're acting like one." Mr. Shim whispered to himself. He felt a pang of pain in his heart when he went upstairs and stood outside Soomin's room. He could hear her quiet sobs behind the door.

Mr. Shim's heart ached but he knew what he was doing was right. *It kills me to hear her crying, but I want to teach her a lesson. She can't play around her entire life. She needs to start getting serious.*

He then headed into his bedroom. Mrs. Shim was sitting on the bed, her head in her hands. She was crying quietly. Mr. Shim went over to her and wrapped an arm around her.

"What happened to the little girl who always smiled and greeted her parents brightly right when they came home?" Mrs. Shim asked.

"She grew up." Mr. Shim answered sadly. He saw an old family picture from when Soomin was seven. She was riding on her father's shoulders, laughing happily. Mr. Shim had a big grin on his face while Mrs. Shim hugged his waist. They looked like the perfect, happy family. *What happened to the little girl that used to call me 'Daddy' instead of 'father'?*

*What happened to our family? How did we get so broken up like this?*

---------------

Hello~

Thank you for reading, I hope you liked this chapter :)