Mind vs. Heart

Hey, Playgirl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHox5dFFwY 

Soomin had just gotten out of the shower and dressed in her pajamas when she heard the doorbell ring.

*Ugh, who could that be?*

Sighing, Soomin put on her bunny slippers, quickly ran her brush through her hair, and headed out of her room. She took her time going down the stairs, exhausted after all that had happened that day.

*I can’t believe Chaejin would snap like that. He couldn’t have been jealous, could he?*

In a few seconds, Soomin was at the front door. She gripped the cool metal of the handle and pulled the door open.

Blinking in surprise, Soomin called out the name of the familiar boy in front of her. “Chaejin?”

He slowly turned around. Soomin could see the mixture of emotions on his face. Shock, guilt, sadness, and something else. Something deeper.

Chaejin froze like a statue, his chest barely moving as he stood there staring at her. Soomin noticed the guitar, slung across his shoulder.

*He can play the guitar?*

“What are you doing here?” Soomin asked, no longer able to take the silence. She didn’t know why, but she felt a little glad that he was there.

“I-I just w-wanted to apologize to you for what happened before.” Chaejin stammered in reply. Soomin softened, happy that he had taken the time to come here to apologize to her. She wanted to smile and say that it was alright. She wanted to throw her arms around him and forgive him.

But, she didn’t. She wouldn’t let herself. That would mean that she was losing the game.

“Oh, well. I guess it’s okay now. I was just surprised by your actions. It wasn’t like you.” Soomin said in what she hoped was a flat tone.

“I know, and it was stupid of me to act like that. But now, this is me apologizing by being the real me.” Chaejin said.

Before Soomin could say anything else, Chaejin pulled out his guitar. He got into a comfortable playing position.

Curiously, Soomin stepped outside and shut the door behind her. Chaejin began to play and Soomin immediately got lost in the sound of the guitar and his smooth voice. Time seemed to stop. All that existed at that moment was just Soomin, Chaejin, and the music.

Her eyes fell closed on their own, allowing her to fully take in the music. The melody danced through the air, like a graceful ballerina. Each note floated into the air, playfully tickling her ears, before they drifted away.

At that moment, all Soomin wanted was to hear Chaejin’s voice. She didn’t need anything else.

*Even if I were to go blind, I wouldn’t care. Just as long as I can hear this beautiful voice.*

Even though the song was short, it still left an amazing impact on Soomin. *Who knew that such a simple song could sound so breathtaking.*

Once Chaejin finished playing, Soomin felt a slight disappointment. She didn’t want it to end; she wanted it to go on forever and ever.

However, she knew that she had to open her eyes and let time start itself again. And when she did, her heart skipped a beat.

Soomin couldn’t stop the gasp that came from her lips. She was too shocked to care. Her eyes scanned the words, the letters, over and over again. *Is this real?*

At that moment, deep down inside, Soomin knew she had lost the game. Maybe, she had lost it a long time ago. But, she wasn’t the type to give in that easily.

She had promised herself she wouldn’t lose again. There were many times when she came close to it, but she broke it off before that could happen.

*So, what are you going to do, Soomin? Say yes or no?*

If she said yes, then it didn’t necessarily mean she lost. She would only lose if she said ‘I love you’ first. But, it would make it that much harder to win.

If she said yes, like her heart wanted her to, then she knew there was no turning back. In the end, she would break Chaejin’s heart just like she did to all the others before him.

*But, I don’t want to break his heart. I can’t.*

Yet, if she said no, then she would still hurt him. It wouldn’t hurt as much though, since they were never together, but it would still hurt.

If she said no, she could already feel her heart breaking. It didn’t want her to say no. It felt like she was at war with herself and this was all happening in a matter of a few seconds.

When she leaned towards ‘yes’ her heart would speed up rapidly. The blood that pumped through her veins in anticipation. The warmth that flooded through her at the thought of becoming Chaejin’s girlfriend. It made adrenaline wash over her, an almost giddy feeling clouding her mind. There were excited butterflies fluttering around in her stomach.

When she leaned towards ‘no’, it was almost painstakingly obvious how bad that hurt her. Her heart would feel sluggish and slow, as if it would stop if she ever uttered the word. Just the thought of her saying ‘no’ had her made her blood chill. Her body nearly shook and shivered. It was like saying ‘no’ to addictive drugs. It was like she would go through withdrawal symptoms if she said ‘no’.

*Yes, no, yes, no, yes…no. I don’t know anymore! Why is this so hard?!*

The decision had never been this hard before. Whether she said yes or no depended on the person asking her.

If she wanted to take it as far as she could, and then shatter him in the end, she would say yes.

If she wanted to end it quickly or else it would get troublesome, she would say no.

But now, her feelings were contradicting each other. Or, at least her mind was fighting against her heart.

Mind versus heart. Logic versus emotion.

Which side is right? Which one is wrong? Is logic better at making the right decisions to make you happy? Or is it your heart?

Soomin couldn’t choose. She knew that if she continued to think about it, she would go insane. So, she cleared her mind of everything and would go with whatever answer came out first.

“My answer is… yes."

So, was it her heart that won in the end or her mind? She didn't know. The only thing she did know was that a heavy weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

-------------

Hello~

Yes, she said yes. XD

Although, I'm kinda disappointed with this chapter. I don't think it was as good as my others, but I can't think of what else to write. I hope you guys still like it though. :)

Also, as an apology for a y chapter, here is a gif!

Thanks for reading!