Chapter Thirty-One

Maybe; Perhaps; Possibly.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim looked over at the wall clock. It's quarter to seven. She swung her feet over the bed, letting them rest on the floor. She leaned over resting her elbows on her legs as her head fell into her hands. 

"Pie, what am I going to do? How can I tell you... and Ploy...?" Kim thought, her heart racing, Dr. Meena's voice ringing back in her ears, the words she said that she somehow knew were coming, though it didn't lessen the impact of the blow. 

"Funny, how God works. Am I being punished for being a lesbian... for my life choices...? I guess I'm still lucky; I get to find out about it sooner, unlike dad. Or am I? I get to die slowly, suffering in the process, while the freaking cancer eats my body. Maybe, it's for the best, at least it will save Pie from me... from having a difficult and complicated life. If I'm no longer here... then, Pie can find someone else that she can have a normal family with... and she get to fulfill her mom's wishes... Ploy... Ploy has aunt In, she took care of us when we were younger, I know she can take care of Ploy better than I ever will..." The voice in her head was unbearable, she already felt lost.

Kim flinched, her teeth drawing blood from her lower lip. She tried to focus on the door as she struggled to stand up. She heard the sound of the door opening and she turned to look.

Dr. Meena entered the room, her eyebrows raised as she saw Kim out of her bed, "Where do you think you're going, Kimhan?"

"Home." Kim frowned at Dr. Meena, who promptly frowned back at her.

"You still need to stay here."

"I can rest at home." Kim said stubbornly, flushing.

Dr. Meena sighed and looked at her sympathetically, "Where's your friend?"

"He went out to buy some food. Can I please go home, P'?"

"Have a seat, Kimhan." She pointed to the bed, "You know that I can't let you leave, you need to stay here and start taking treatment. Then, after a month or less you would need to undergo chemo."

"I'll come back another time for it."

"You said the same thing two weeks ago."

"Please, P'. I just really need to go home. I promise that I'll come back." Kim took hold both of her hands, and looked up at her pleadingly.

"Kimhan, I'm doing this because I really care for you. I wasn't able to help Air, so at least let me help my best friend's little sister. Please, think of those people you're going to leave behind if you ignore this. Think of Ploy and your aunt, so as your friends. I'm sure that you have a girlfriend too. Do this for them, you know how much it hurts to lose someone you loved, don't let them go through it, especially Ploy. She already lost her mother, and she never knew her father. She can’t lose you too. We'll do our best to help you but we need you to help yourself as well." Dr. Meena's heartbreak was in her voice as she squeezed Kim's hand.

Kim was silent for a minute; she had tears in her eyes.

"I... I'm going to di—" she stammered but stopped when Dr. Meena suddenly hugged her tightly.

"You can't give up, Kimhan. You just can't."

Kim's heart raced so fast that she could feel her body shaking with every beat, "I want to go home, P'."

Dr. Meena released Kim from her embrace, she held her at arm's length and looked at her intently, "Promise me that you'll see me tomorrow."

"Yes." Kim nodded, almost imperceptibly.

Dr. Meena put a hand on her shoulder, "Okay, I'll take your word Kimhan. I'll talk to the nurse to bring the discharge papers to your room." she stood up with grace, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Kimhan..."

Kim gazed up at her, her eyes still b with tears.

"Let me meet her, this girl you can't wait to go home to."

Kim gave her a small smile in return.

Not long after, Ter came back. He placed the food and drinks on the table beside Kim. In silence, Ter watched Kim play with her food. Kim barely ate or even drank anything at all, and when Ter tr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter