Chapter Twenty-One

Maybe; Perhaps; Possibly.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Van emerged from his car slowly, oozing with confidence. He stood and smoothed his clothing, dark grey long sleeves with tailored black slacks, and shiny black Italian shoes which added elegance to his appearance.

He looked at Pie admiringly as he opens the car door for her, "You look beautiful, Pie."

Pie gave him a small smile in return. After Pie was seated, he placed her seat belt around her which startled Pie. He smiled warmly at Pie as he closed the door and returned to the driver's seat. Van started the car, and while stealing glances at Pie, he peeled out of the Manaying's driveway.

"Do you want to get some breakfast first, Pie?" Van asked.

"No, I'm okay. I had breakfast at home. Thank you, P'Van."

"Pie... You can just call me Van."

Pie smiled uncomfortably at Van while he watches her through his peripheral vision. For about a mile, they drove in silence, Pie was aware that Van kept on stealing glances at her with a big grin on his face, she took her phone out and started texting Kim.

"Good morning, honey, I'm on my way to work now. I can't wait to see you tonight. I miss you. -Pie" Pie caught a sideways glimpse at Van when her phone bleeped.

"Good morning too, honey. Is dad driving you to work? I miss you too. -Kim"

"You're already calling him dad, huh?   -Pie."

"Of course. Haha I'm his future son-in-law after all. Haha I love you. -Kim"

"I love you too.  Can you sleepover in my place tonight?  -Pie"

"I thought you'll never ask. Yes, I will, my princess. -Kim"

"Thank you, honey. I'll see you later.  -Pie" Pie was so excited to see Kim again that she couldn't help smiling.

"You look more beautiful when you're smiling like that. I want to thank that person you were texting." Van said, grinning with his eyebrow raised as he pulled into Pie's office parking lot.

"Thank you, P'Van." Pie answered with a faint smile.

"I'll see you later tonight? I'll give you a lift home."

"No. That's okay. I can just take a cab. I don't want to bother you. Thanks again."

By the time Pie unbuckled the seat belt, Van come around to open the door for her. He took her arm to help her out.

"Pie... I promised your mom that I'll take care of you. Please let me drive you home later? Please...?" Van pleaded which only made Pie even more uncomfortable.

Unsure of how to respond, Pie was silent for a moment before she sighed, her shoulders slumping, she nodded to Van as it brought a smile to his face.

 

"Don't you think it's too early to cheat on my Kim?" Puey said with a wry smile, his gaze openly scrutinizing his disapproval.

"What are you talking about, Puey? I'll never do that to Kim." Pie gave him a stern glare that made Puey chuckle.

"Tell me then princess, who's that lover boy who dropped you off?"

"He's a family friend. Mom insisted that he drive me to work." Pie said, she touched her forehead, moving her finger in a circle when a sharp pain came and went.

"Pie! Who was that?" Nam said, a scowl crossed her face.

"Easy, babe. Let Pie explain why she's cheating on Kim!" Fah said in singsong, mocking voice.

Pie slumped back in her chair and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Sheesh. How can you accuse me of cheating right away? That was Van, he's a family friend. My mom wanted him to drive me to work." Pie pouted as she narrowed her eyes and wrinkled her nose.

"We were just joking, babe. We know you won't do that." Nam giggled, giving Pie a quick hug.

"You didn't tell your mom about Kim?" Fah asked.

"I told dad and Alice but not to mom. I was planning to tell her yesterday but Van and his family came to visit us. It was very uncomfortable, they kept on teasing us. I couldn't tell mom about Kim after that." Pie answered wearily.

"How about Kim? Does she know about Van?" Nam asked while fiddling with her pen.

"No." Pie bit her lip and shook her head in distress. 

###

 

Pie sat at her desk, with a mixture of relief and exhaustion, she looked at all the files that sat in front of her.

"Thank God, I'm done." She muttered under her breath as she leaned back in her chair, she glanced at her watch, six-fifty.

 She lazily stretch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter