Chapter Thirteen

Maybe; Perhaps; Possibly.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The trees stand silent in the summer air, even the birds are quiet. The fallen brown leaves scattered on the dry ground, its distinct scent fills the air, an earthly fragrance. It’s the middle of April, another hot sultry day, the heat and humidity was unbearable; Kim can feel her loose shirt cling to her back, the sweat trickled down her neck and beaded her forehead like warm soup. The fan running slowly through the stifling air, as the warm wind tickled Kim’s nose, she closed her eyes. Kim heard a low rumbling sound, like rocks grind against the ground; she heard a deep man’s voice talking. Kim opened her eyes, the sun was at its height; she see Shone is talking to a coconut seller under the shade of a tree, she watched the seller lop off the top of the coconut and dunk a straw in. Shone drank the milky refreshing coconut water, he walked towards Kim carrying the other two coconuts.

“I can’t believe our luck; the damn heat is killing me and Shin’s freaking air conditioner is broken.” Shone grunted and swore under his breath as he slumped back into the racket chair.

“Can’t we go somewhere else? Why did we even agree to meet up here? We should’ve gone to your aunt’s café instead.” complained Shone.

“There are too many people in the café.” Kim answered, chewing the straw as she cast her eyes around and lowered the coconut.

“Ugh. Where the hell are they? They should be back by now. Where’s Pii?” Shone looked around the patio, squinting his eyes against the sun’s heat.

“Missed me?” Pii teased, she sat beside Shone carrying a pitcher of orange juice and a small bucket of ice, she placed them on the side table next to Kim’s chair.

“Where did you get the ice?” asked Shone.

“In the fridge, of course.” Pii answered cleverly, looking directly at Shone as she spoke.

Shone raised an eyebrow and he growled in response to Pii, “You didn’t bring any glasses?”

“We’ll drink straight from the pitcher.” Pii laughed as she answered.

“Thanks for the coconut. Kim, why aren’t you helping aunt In? The café’s anniversary is tomorrow, right?” Pii said casually, sipping the coconut water.

“Yeah, I offered to help but she doesn’t want me to, she said that Pie and Yam are already helping her.” Kim shrugged.

Shone sidled up to Kim and said teasingly, “So, Pie’s already trying to impress the in law, I mean aunt In.”

“What? Pie’s just being nice. She’s always nice.” Kim answered as she watches the ice cubes in the pitcher melting slowly.

“When’s the wedding? Don’t tell me you’ll get married before Aey?” Pii teased.

“Crazy.” Kim muttered and drank the juice from the pitcher.

“Oh come on, spit it out Kim. What’s the score between you and Pie?” Shone nudged Kim in the ribs for emphasis.

“What? Don’t you get tired of this? Asking me about Pie whenever you guys has the chance. Teasing me with Pie is already getting old.”

“Teasing you with Pie will never get old. Not until you tell us the truth.” Pii answered.

“We’re just friends. How many times do I have to say this?” Kim answered, sighing.

“Until you start dating Pie.” Shone smirked at Kim.

“Pie is straight. She’ll never like me more than friends.”

“I don’t think so. Anyone can get diabetes just by looking at you and Pie’s sweetness. You can even ask Nam, she noticed it too.” Shone grabbed the pitcher of orange juice from Kim and drank it.

“It doesn’t matter if Pie doesn’t notice it herself.” Kim gloomily muttered.

“So you do like her?” Pii asked, smiling, comically raising her eyebrows up and down.

Kim didn’t answer.

Kim remained silent and Pii asked, “You’ll never know if she likes you too if you won’t ask her. You’ve been flirting with each other for too long, don’t you think? It was last year when you started hanging out, right? It has been what? Like six? Seven months since then?”

“What now? You’re keeping track of it?” Kim softly chuckled.

“What Pii’s trying to point out is, you’re too damn slow Kim. I think I asked Nam out for a date, the very next day after I met her.” Shone interrupted.

“Exactly. With Fah, even though it was unacceptable for other people, I still asked her to be my girlfriend two months after we started dating.” Pii said proudly.

“Kim, Pie is very pretty. A lot of guys surround her, drooling over her. Why do you think I asked Nam right away?” Shone looked at Kim questioningly.

“Because you love her?” Kim answered simply, uncertain.

“Ah well, that’s one of the reasons. Listen, just like Pie, Nam is very beautiful, a lot of guys want to be with her. I can’t blame those idiots; Nam got the full the package. Anyway, I was terrified of losing Nam. I know, it might sound lame but I couldn’t take that risk of losing her.” Shone smiled and said with the utmost sincerity.

“Think about it Kim. What if Pie’s just waiting for you to ask her? And what if she gets tired waiting for you.” Pii added.

Kim said nothing; she just stared blankly at the floor. Kim rubbed her face with her hands and then dragged them through her hair, she suddenly growled in frustration.

“Ahhhhhhh! I can’t do this anymore! Can you both stop messing up with my head? I can’t think straight anymore!”

“Of course you can’t think straight Kim, you’re in love with Pie which happens to be a girl too.” Pii answered matter of factly, without missing a beat.

Shone burst into laughter.

Kim sighed heavily, “I can’t believe I’m friends with you guys but thank you.”

Shone grinned and grabbed Kim’s shoulder, “We love you dude.”

Pii blew Kim a kiss then winks jokingly.

###

 

In’s Café 7th a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter