Chapter Eleven

Maybe; Perhaps; Possibly.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pie glanced at Yam, she was stirring her drink with a straw while speaking on the phone.

“I know… I’ll see you later… I’m with Pie… Yes… No, you don’t need to, I borrowed Kim’s car… Yes… Okay… Love you too… bye…” Yam ended the call, she sighed and took a sip of her drink.

“Sorry Pie. Aey’s been asking me what time I’ll go home. He said he has a surprise for me.”

“Oh my God! Maybe he’s going to propose!” Pie exclaimed happily, she gave Yam a teasing smile.

“Oui. Don’t be silly. I’m not yet ready for that.” Yam teasingly pinched the side of Pie’s waist.

“Ouch! Why not? We’re not getting any younger and you guys been together for God knows how many years now. Aey seems like a very nice guy and good looking too.” Pie smirked.

Yam let out a long sigh. “I don’t know Pie. I’m with Aey for more than four years but I don’t think I’m ready to spend the rest of my life with him.”

“What do you mean?” Pie asked.

“I… Sometimes I feel like… I’m just staying with him because I don’t want to be alone. There must be something wrong with me.” Yam rested her elbows on the table and cupped her chin in her hands.

“Maybe it’s the distance that’s causing your doubts. I don’t think it’s easy to be in a long distance relationship. Do you have any plans on staying here for good?” Pie asked, she traced her finger around the oblong ring in the wooden table.

“I still don’t know. My dad’s planning on opening a clothing line here in Bangkok and he wants me to manage it but… I don’t know Pie. I still need to figure out what I really want to do with my life.” Yam leaned back in the velvet chair and rested her elbows on the railing.

“You’re here for a little soul-searching then? Don’t worry Yam, Kim and I will help you out. How about we go to the beach once she’s back?” Pie leaned forward, waiting for Yam’s answer.

“Yeah, we should do that. I miss going to the beach! I miss Kim too.” Yam lowered her head and smiled.

“How did you become so close with Kim? Last time I saw you, it was at our high school graduation. You said you’ll keep in touch with me but you never did Pie.” Yam said sulking.

“Hey! You never told me that you’ll be studying in Canada!” Pie retorted.

“Oh yeah, well I didn’t know too.” Yam giggled.

“Well, how come you visited Kim before you left and not me? Kim was even living in Chiang Mai back then, my house was closer but you still decided to visit her rather than me?” Pie pouted her lips and Yam just chuckled.

“It was because of my parents, my mom wants to know how Kim’s doing and aunt In’s my mom’s childhood friend. Okay, I’m sorry Pie. I should have visited you. I’m sorry.” Yam looked at Pie with pleading eyes.

“Fine.” Pie answered as she sniggered.

“So how about you and Kim? You guys seem really close now.” asked Yam.

“Yeah, you can say that I guess. I didn’t know she’s friends with Shone, and Shone's girlfriend happened to be one of my best friends in college.” Pie took a drink of her tea and carefully placed the cup back on the table.

“Then?” Yam gestured Pie to continue.

“Then what?” Pie asked.

“That’s it? Come on Pie, Aey said that you guys been hanging out almost everyday.” Yam asked suspiciously.

“You know that aunt In’s café is near my place, so I get to see her there and I like talking with Ploy too, she’s a very sweet girl. Kim and I have a lot of mutual friends, you should know that, that’s also one of the reasons we get to see each other almost everyday. That’s all there is Yam.” Pie said defensively.

“Really? Do you like her?” Yam asked straightforward, with no preamble.

“W-what? I-I l-like her of course, I mean we won’t be friends if I don’t l-like her as a friend.” Pie shifted in her chair, uncomfortable. She averted her gaze from Yam.

“Only as a friend huh?” Yam raised an eyebrow at Pie.

“Yes Yam. She’s just a friend. I never liked girls that way.” Pie took another sip from her tea.

“But Kim is different. What if she starts dating some girl? We both know, a lot of girls throw themselves at Kim.” Yam asked as she takes a bite of the Thai style roti with banana fillings drizzled in sweetened milk. Pie didn’t answer, she smiled weakly. Pie remained silent, tightened and an ache welled up from deep within her chest.

###

 

“Where did you go?” Kim ask

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter