| calling Koni_Fox review

NIGHTSOUT -----REVIEW-----ARCHIVE

Searingblaze000 Koni_Fox BEHIND THE SCENES - THE MAKING OF VIXX'S ERROR Review: 

WRITING - Good, solid grasp of the language, great, very engaging narrative

SPELLING MISTAKES: Minimal

I'd say that the plot was not something extraordinarily unique - I have seen plenty of idol-oc fics where they are either part of the managing detail or perhaps, someone the idols work with. But I will say this - I don't think I have read a story that was this engaging from beginning to end, not once seeming to lag or appear forced or out of the realm of possibility. The summary is very succinct - how it aims to explore themes of friendship, romance and how one's outlook on life is impacted by those we come in contact with and the author delivers a hundred percent. Very well explored, very well thought out, well executed story 

I am totally in love with the characterization. Its like the characters burst out from the words, each one clamoring to be seen, not as a mere representation of someone we see on screen but as a real, live person with a unique voice of their own. 

The OC, the main character, Mira is one hell of a narrator - she makes everything seem so matter of fact, so believable - honestly, I was caught up from the beginning of the story and that, I think, is the true essence of an engaging read - it hooks you from the start and doesn't let up until the very end. It only took me so long to finish the story (sadly not in a single go) because I was so swamped with work irl. Because right from the very start, I was in.

I think I would that this story is the perfect example of how one can truly work with cliche themes and make them worth the while. You know, I always believe that cliches are cliches for a reason - they work every time :) Its how the author portrays the same idea in their own way that makes it stand out from the rest. Now, the relationship dynamics between the main couple (should I spoil?... nah, I think not) start from a cliche - the getting off to the wrong foot thing... that's a thing right? Anyhow, they get off to a rocky start and it stays rocky for a while before settling into something calmer, more pacific. But that's exactly it - even when it should be a total cliche, its so much more than that. I am totally in love with the character dynamics here - I mean, even when there was the other love interest (still working hard not to spoil) I was highly disappointed - being very honest - because I felt like there was so much more chemistry between the main couple, so much unresolved tension that it just could NOT be ignored. And I fangirled my way through the last couple of chapters because it was everything I hoped for... and more. 

I like how the story is more than just romance though, lot more than just your typical idolXoc fic. Yes, there's a romantic interest but the threads of romance are subtly woven through the entire plot so that it never overpowers the story, yet casts its shade all over it. The Oc's relationships, of the more platonic and more brotherly kind,are also explored and each and every relationship stands on its own.

 I especially enjoyed how the author refrained from stereotyping the members of ViXX, yet retained enough of their fandom personas to make your average fan feel connected. I mean, there's nothing about the characters that so out there that you find it unbelievable, y'know? They are the same idols we follow - the same boys we fawn over - with added depth to their characters.Normally, I don't mind out-of-character characters (?) but going with the plot of this story, it followed that they should remain the idols they are - so the balance between their idol-image and the depth of their characters as people of the screen is something that I really, really like about this story. 

The thing I really like about the main character is how she maintains a solid head on her shoulders, you know? And she's a reasonable person, if driven and her attitude... ok, so she's the brash American girl but she's also more than that. I like how the fact that she's American isn't just, you know, rubbed in your face for the heck of it. Yes, she sticks with her identity because that's who she is but no, she's not rude about it nor does she completely disregard everything else the Korean culture has to offer. She deals with those differences admirably and it's nice to see a character that's as genuine as Mira.

In fact, my only bone with her is this - how can you be so oblivious???? Like seriously? Since I'm a er for romance, I had really hoped that the romantic aspects would be focused on more than they were - but I'm also happy that the author did not compromise her plot for the sake of it. She explored the themes she set out to, stuck with the plot that was set out from the beginning of the story and (sadly) did not digress into such frivolities.
Truly, though, it was the ending which really brought it all together... I was quite heartbroken by the end because like our heroine, I did not want her to leave Vixx at all but they managed to figure it out and as they say, all's well that end's well. The last interview was beautiful, inspiring the title for this story - very appropriate because that's the entire story right there, people - and I really don't know what else to say except that this review sounds like me fangirling away about how much I enjoyed this story and the author's writing style. 

The other idols thrown in were also a pleasant surprise and I totally love TaeKaiVi (what's not to love, right?). As a staunch VixXO believer, I approve of everything Vixx and EXO :) So overall, I'd give it a 9.5/10 (the .5 is because I love romance and why was she so oblivious and why didn't he say anything earlier? Like really?... and the occasional typo)

A final word for the author - I am really sorry for taking so long to write this review but I honestly wanted to complete it and not do a half-assed job of this. There were so many points where I wanted to leave incoherent comments and loud screams because my inner fangirl died a thousand deaths at each realistic depiction of my favorite boys but I felt that this review wouldn't remain objective. Also because I wanted it to come as a pleasant surprise, I hope you find it satisfactory and I really, really hope you'll write more ViXX. It has been a pleasure reading your story.