| calling Zelovable

NIGHTSOUT -----REVIEW-----ARCHIVE
 

WRITING: 

Good, solid grasp of the language, good expression 

SPELLING MISTAKES:

Minimal The plot was interesting. A good blend of unique and cliche. The theme of unrequited love is quite well explored but the added touch of tragedy just brings out the angst so much more, particularly for a high school setting. I must say I got teary-eyed. I think that the story is quite well paced, not rushed but not slow, it progresses at the pace it starts with and keeps it. The characters' thoughts and actions, reactions were all rational and even beautiful, I'd say, particularly towards the end. Nothing seemed out of character; in fact, it built towards it and the final actions and reactions were something both anticipated and dreaded. I really liked that. Since its a short story, the plot was quite focused and it wrapped up neatly... albeit sadly :/ As for the author's flavor... I'd say her wrtiting is... poignant, a balance between descriptive and poetic, that leaves quite an impression on the mind. At a few points, I thought the despcription might be a little... extraneous but that's just the editor in me speaking; otherwise, wonderful. I'd say that this blend of poetic description is her flavor and I quite enjoyed it

THE CHARACTERIZATION:

Honestly, I loved Jongkook because well, he's our golden maknae and what's not to love, right? But also because his character is quite... noble. standing up for the underdogs, going head to head with bullies? Hell yeah. Hoeseok and Taehyung being the weirdo best friends is also a plus for the characterization because it takes one to know one :D I quite enjoyed Jongkook's ponderings, how he viewed the world and how he seemed to be constantly engaging in these deep reflections. Quite the thinker, no? I thought that his obsessive rumination about Harim was both relatable and adorable. Any one falling in love for the first time would probably feel something akin to that, where even the smallest gestures or words from one's beloved would stay with them. So I thought he was quite relatable. His thoughts, at certain points, seemed quite mature for someone his age - at one point, I wondered how it contrasted with his feelings, the strong and out of control ones, for Harim but I think that added a complex dimension to his character so its good. 

The chemistry between characters didn't quite come up except as it was intended: 

- Harim obviously saw him as nothing more than platonic while he was totally devoted and it was quite heart-breaking but I loved how he hung on, willed himself to stay and confess. That broke my heart.

Harim's character was nice. I liked how she decided to not lead him on when she's obviously not intersted but I also kind of hoped for a more... direct interaction between our protagonists so she'd be forced to reconsider her answer, y'know? Call me a masochist - and see, this is EXACTLY why I avoid angst, I can't help but break my own heart over and over T_T - but I wanted her to talk to Jongkook, realize he was dying and kind of suffer it first hand, you feel me? Watch him fade before her eyes and maybe in that last moment, take pity on him and assure him that yes, she saw him as something more, give him a last lie to hold on to... and okay, now I'm crying. 

But I also quite liked how you ended the story, especially the snow globe breaking thing... the symbolism is admirable... as well as the idea that God simply withdraws souls from within the globe. I think this is a sort of a running theme with the story - your slow globe is quite the apporpriate symbol for life and death and even Jongkook himself; very apt. If we think about it, life is nothing more than that. And the psychologist in me is screaming about isolation bubbles and subjective reality but I'm gonna stop right here or I'd end with an essay with too much jargon. 

And so, I'll wrap it up with the final comment on the title:

- Wonderful choice. I think it hits all the marks brilliantly, goes with the flow of the story, character and theme. I'm not usually in favor of awarding marks for stuff like this because this is all quite subjective but I think I'll give it a solid 8 out of 10. 

Good work, I really enjoyed it.

 

reviewed by: SearingBlaze000

 

Please, do not forget to credit us (with our banner, if possible) on the foreword of your story. Thank you and do request from us again! :)