| calling jessie101 REVIEW

NIGHTSOUT -----REVIEW-----ARCHIVE

Searingblaze000 -  Review for THE PERFECT IMPERFECTION by jessie101

WRITING - I'm not sure if this is the author's first language or not, a good grasp of grammer with occassional lapses but nothing to big enough to detract from the story, overall good narration

SPELLING MISTAKES: Minimal

I usually don't read stories in first person POV or with lapses as happen in this story - if that has to happen, I prefer it to be a third person POV because that is frankly easier to handle than the switches... however, I must say that despite a format I'm generally against, I found myself engaged in the story. For one thing, I liked the plot from the start... with the description and everything, it seemed fascinating, something a bit more different than the rest. At the start, I was trying to figure out if we were going to go into something like Twilight - I don't know if it was intentional on the author's part but certain sections were definitely reminiscent of that - but I was pleasantly surprised by the twists in the plot. 

I'll be honest here: more than the author's writing style, I am honestly impressed by the plot for this story. This is one of those pieces that I would read to know what happens next. What the author lacks in terms of flow in language - and again, I'm giving her the benefit of doubt that English is NOT her first language - she makes up for it in the story line. And in the later chapters, I noticed a distinct improvement in the author's writing and I think that it raises her level significantly in terms of language writing and expression and I am sure there will be even more improvement as the story progresses, so I don't think it is an issue.

 Also, I'm a er for subplots and there's one very intense love triangle going on, involving my main bias and I'm VERY concerned to know what happens to him, so yeah...I'd say the author's told a good story. 

What I like most, perhaps, is how well thought out the story apparently is. Each chapter builds up on what happened previously as well adding to the main plot, while also dealing with the subplots and all in all, I like how intricately woven each story line is with the main story and how its progressing well so far, slowly taking a more solid shape. I think I've stated this before but I like well thought out stories and this one fits the bill. Good work. 

I really enjoyed the characterization in this story. The main leads, both Kris and Alice, the OC are interesting people with even more interesting back stories - and since I'm also a er for angsty heroes, I'm especially impressed with Kris's character. I like the chemistry between the two and while there may be occasional incidents that I, personally, don't find very realistic, I'd say they fit very well with the story. Also, from the beginning to the last chapter I read, Chapter 17, there has been a lot of development in both characters, not only in their interactions and feelings towards each others but also in themselves as people.

As for the side characters, those who have been introduced have their own distinct personalities and back stories which are enough to fascinate the reader. I personally like how the author only focused on a few of the side characters rather than the entire lot because - and I'm speaking from experience - otherwise, the side characters tend to take over the story. So good work here as well. I liked the inter-character dynamics, the exploration of their back stories as well as a study into what makes them who they are today and how they are changing.

 I like how the romance is progressing so far without the exclusive focus on this story being a purely romantic endeavor. The 'bigger picture' is never left behind, being addressed in almost all the chapters and so far, all the little hints dropped here and there are also explained sooner rather than later. 
Usually, I don't pay much attention to graphics because honestly, I'm more interested in the story but because it has such an important place in the story, I really think that the author's investment in the poster is well worth it - depicts Kris nicely, especially the eyes - very well done.

I do have a question though... or rather, just something I was wondering about. Personally, when I write a story, I'd try to balance it between the genders - maybe its the feminist or the psychologist inside me - but the imbalance between the male and female characters is something I'd like probably address. 

Also, I honestly find it hard to believe that NO ONE could be bothered to look past her scar until her friend from Japan came. Seems to overly negativistic to me... maybe I just like to see the good side in people and having a scar would leave one vulnerable but I'd like to think that there'd be people, especially young children, who would look past that and see the person inside...

 And unfortunately, other than the best friend, the best friend's mom and her own foster mother, all the females introduced so far are, for lack of a better word, es. I don't know, I think we girls tend to be either overly defensive or overly critical when it comes to someone from our own gender and I dunno, maybe we need to stick to each other? FYI, this is just a personal observation, not a criticism on how you developed your character into who she is today. Just... perhaps, it'd be nicer if this didn't feel so much like a harem fic because even her new friend is a male. I don't know, perhaps that's how you need her character to be to solve her personal dilemmas...? Or maybe, its simply not something that crossed your mind. If I could give you a suggestion, I'd say that you do look at the story from this perspective as well, yeah? 

Anyway, like I said, this is just my personal opinion. I honestly enjoyed reading the story as it is so far and I honestly look forward to know how it progresses because all in all, its a good read and snags one's attention, demanding to be read. 

So... overall, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10... its a good read, with sufficiently good narration and a very interesting plot, good characterization and a good pace. A little bit of improvement in the writing - which I can see happening with new chapters - and I'd say that this is one good story to read. Seeing that there are so few WELL WRITTEN Idol/oc stories, this is a good story to add to the collection. Good work.