Thirty Nine

I'm still falling for you

Jungmin stretched her arms lazily and opened her eyes feeling refreshed after taking a nap. Darkness welcomed her as she opened her eyes and she closed them once again as she tried to orient herself. She yawned and stretched her arms above her head moving the blankets covering her.

Wait! Blankets? The realization that something is amiss clears the fogginess of sleep as she opened her eyes and looked around. It was indeed dark, although the night lamp beside helped her see her surroundings. She was back in her room; Manager Jin’s room in the SHINee’s dorm that was temporarily given to her while her injured ankle heals. As Jungmin glanced to the window, it was dark outside but she was still not sure of the time.

Jungmin frowned in confusion. The last thing she remembers is that she was eating the take-out lunch given by Eunmi. She massaged her temple as she tries to remember more on what happened next but her mind was blank. How could that be? She asked herself and then completely removed the blanket and stepped out of the bed, gingerly placing her injured foot down and feeling only a few twinges. The thought that her foot is healing brought smile on her face.

Same clothes. Jungmin noted mentally as she saw her reflection on the mirror as she slowly limped out the room, her right hand leaning on the wall for support as she makes her way to the living room where her phone may be.

“Hyung, do you really think she’s ok? She’s been sleeping for more than 12 hours straight,” Key’s voice floated to the hallway.

Jungmin’s heart quickened upon hearing his voice. He’s back! She squealed inside and tried to limp faster and see Key as well as whom else he was talking to.

“Stop worrying Key. She was seen by the doctor and said nothing is wrong so let’s just wait for her to wake up.” The other voice replied. Jungmin assumed it to be the leader’s voice.

“How can I not worry when I know Eunmi was with her the whole day?” Key replied in exasperation. “She never slept this long before.”

Jungmin could hear utensils clinking so the two must be in the kitchen. She then tried to limp faster to calm Key and show him that she’s ok and he has nothing to worry about. Although she has a few questions herself.

Jungmin heard a sigh as she reached the end of the hallway and she can then see the kitchen from her where she was standing. Onew’s back was facing her as he was seated on one of the dining chairs while Key was facing towards her direction, leaning on the counter near the sink with his both hands wrapped on a mug, face deep in thought.

“Key!” Jungmin called him from the hallway and Key immediately looked up from the mug. He was beside her in an instant with his arms around her shoulders assisting her while the other hand still holding the cup.

“What are you doing up so early?” Key asked her as he helped her limp towards the kitchen. Jungmin glanced around and saw Onew rolling his eyes and smirking at Key then pulled out a chair for her as they come nearer.

“Early? So it’s morning already?” Jungmin asked them as Key assisted her in seating on the dining chair that Onew prepared for her. Key and Onew looked at one another then back at her.

“It is already 5:00 in the morning Jungmin-ah.” Onew told her softly as he settled on one of the chairs beside her.

Jungmin glanced out on the window once again.

“Any minute now and Mr. Sun will come out.” Key told her as if he knew that she was looking for signs that it was indeed morning. He then gave her another mug of something hot and sat on a chair beside her as well.

Jungmin held the mug that Key had given her and frowned not really seeing the hot drink.

“Do you like coffee instead?” Key asked her when he noticed the frown. Jungmin glanced at him in confusion and Key pointed on the mug in her hand. Jungmin glanced back at the drink, saw that it was hot chocolate, and shook her head. She then took a sip slowly so not to burn her tongue.

“What’s the matter then?” Onew asked sipping on his own mug as well.

“Well, I don’t remember anything else after lunch.” Jungmin answered.

“How can that happen?” Key asked, his voice slightly raised. “You’ve been sleeping since I came back from work Jungmin.” He added worriedly and Jungmin can only look at him helplessly and shrugged.

“You can tell us what you last remembered.” Onew encouraged her gently.

Jungmin closed her eyes and tried her best to remember what she can. She can feel the piercing gaze of the two people in the room and she does not want to disappoint them but after a few seconds she ended with a sigh.

“All I could remember is that I’ve been eating the take out lunch that Eunmi gave me. After that I woke up and I was in the bedroom already.” Jungmin told them. Onew sighed this time and continued sipping his drink while Key was shaking his head.

“There’s something off here hyung.” Key mumbled under his breath.

“We don’t have any proof Kibum.” The leader replied.

“Proof of what?” Jungmin asked the both of them but silence answered her.

Onew then stood up and placed his mug on the sink.

“Leave it hyung, I’ll wash it. Go have a sleep now.” Key told his hyung offhandedly.

“Well then, I’ll leave you too it.” Onew said with a grin and patted Jungmin then Key’s shoulder. “Good Mornight!” He added as he went to his room.

“Onew hadn’t slept yet?” Jungmin asked Key in surprise.

“Yeah, he just came from a radio show.” Key answered mechanically. Jungmin placed her mug on the table gently and turned to her side to face Key.

“What’s the matter?” She asked him softly.

“Huh?” Key replied still not facing her.

Jungmin then reached on the table and gently grabbed Key’s hands and Key looked at her in surprise.

“What’s running in that head of yours that making you frown like that?” Jungmin joked at him as she eased the frown on Key’s forehead with her fingers releasing Key’s hands.

Key smiled at her and Jungmin smiled back. He then turned as well and faced Jungmin, this time reaching out and grabbing both Jungmin’s hand and placing them in his own.

“I’m okay Key. Nothing bad happened. Maybe I was just tired you know and I’m taking pain meds so the side effect may have crept up on me knocking me down.” Jungmin reasoned out.

 “I would’ve believe that explanation if it wasn’t Eunmi with you.” Key countered with a sigh.

“Why? What is it with Eunmi? Onew and Jonghyun told me she was bad news but when I asked why they would not answer me.” Jungmin asked knowing that Key was the one who could answer her questions.

Key sighed and looked at her intently.

“Have you ever heard of the Sohee incident?” He asked her.