One

I'm still falling for you

 

“Why does the manager have to put me in vacation like every other students? Why now?” Lee Jungmin sighed in frustration and brought out her cellphone to check the message she received earlier. She wanted to make sure she didn’t misinterpret the message or something.

                To: Lee Jungmin

                From: Manager (convenience store)

                Jungmin-sshi, I have found a part-timer for your shift this coming sembreak.

                So enjoy your vacation ne? You deserved some break. Your shift will be yours after

                This one month vacation break, araso?

 

Lee Jungmin doesn’t need a vacation, what she needs is money, the more money the better. She doesn’t want to ask money from her parents knowing that what her parents were earning, were enough to support her three other siblings. Time for Plan B she thought and went towards the library.

The library is Jungmin’s haven. Ever since she entered the university, the library was like her home. She always stays there to study,to read and to pass time, that is why the head librarian, Mrs. Park became one of her closest friends. Upon reaching the library, she headed straight to Mrs. Park’s table.

“Mrs. Park!” she called out. Mrs. Park look up from what she was reading and smiled upon seeing Jungmin.

“What are you doing here Jungmin? Isn’t sembreak suppose to start now?” she asked Jungmin. Jungmin frowned upon remembering her predicament. “Why the sad face?” she asked again.

“The manager at the convenience store decided that like any other students, I should have this one month vacation break.” Jungmin explained. Mrs. Park nodded in understanding.

“And you’re not like any other students” she murmered in assent. Jungmin sighed again and perked up when she remembered her Plan B.

“Then, Mrs. Park, don’t you have any opening for part-time work here in the library? Doesn’t the university offer those kind of financial help to other students?” Jungmin immediately asked. Mrs. Park lowered her head

“I’m sorry Jungmin, as much as I would like to help you, the opening for student assistance here in the library was already filled. It was filled up a week ago.” Mrs. Park explained. Jungmin sighed again.

“Well, I kind of thought of that already. I was just testing my luck.” She told Mrs. Park jokingly. “I just have to look at the shops near my dorm if there are any part time work available.”

“Excuse me” a deep voice butted in and  Mrs. Park and Jungmin looked at the man.

“Oh, were you going to borrow these books Mr. Kim?” Mrs. Park asked and pointed at the books placed on her desk. Mr. Kim nodded and faced Jungmin. Jungmin immediately bowed and greeted the professor.

“You know each other?” Mrs. Park asked no one in particular.

“Yes” I answered. “He is my professor in Korean culture and literature” I explained in detail.

“Lee Jungmin” Mr. Kim said out loud as if recalling my name for the first time. “Ah yes, the student with the wonderful essays and quietly sits at the back of the room.” He added. I blushed at his comment and murmured a word of thanks.

“Well, I can’t help but over hear your conversation. So you’re looking for a part time work?” he asked me.

“Yes sir, I am” I answered. He seem deep in thought as I continued to stare expectantly at him.

“Do you have any kind of work in mind?” he asked again and I shook my head. “Anything is fine by me sir, I could work washing dishes, serving food, anything.” I told him.

“Ok.” He replied. “I may just have a part time job for you.” My eyes widened and I smiled enthusiastically. “Really?” I asked again, just to be sure. And he nodded. “Thank you so much.”

“Give me your cellphone number and I’ll message you the details.” He said, so I gave my number to him the he walked away with the books he borrowed. “Thank you so much Mr. Kim!” I added as I watched his retreating back.

“Looks like lady luck came just in time.” Mrs. Park smiled at me.

“What do you think will my work be?” I asked suddenly curious.

“Do not worry, Mr. Kim has some good connections since he came from an influential family. Teaching is just his passion that is why he is teaching here. So I think he’ll pass you on a good company.” Mrs. Park explained.

"Thank heavens Mr. Kim came just in time" Jungmin sighed with relief. "Well, I'll be going then Mrs. Park. Thank you!" Jungmin bowed and left the library as Mrs. Park waved goodbye.

 

"Goodluck Jungmin!" Mrs. Park murmured as she watched the girl left. "You deserve all the luck you can get."

 

As Jungmin exited the university gates, she breath deeply and smiled. This may be the start of something good. she thought to herself and went home.