Chapter 35. Make Things Right

Nice Try Ahjussi

 

Minmi was speechless after hearing her brother's confession. So it was him throughout these years. It was Shownu whom she loved from the very first start. After that Prom night, Tao got sick and was absent for a month. She waited for him. When he came back to school, he approached him first and gave him a packed lunch as a gratitude. That day was the day when their friendship started. Tao never protested at that time. He thought it was not a crime to be friends with girls after all. He never wondered why she thanked him. He just thought she like to be friends with him. At that time, the buzz of Tao being the prom King had already faded, and he didn't heard a bit of it. 

"Gumawo oppa!" She hugged Inguk tightly. 

"Anything for my dongsaeng~" He smiled and patted her back. "Go back tomorrow and follow what your heart tells you."

She nodded and smiled after breaking the hug. They went inside and she prayed tonight wouldn't take that long. 

 

 

Minmi was driving fast as she headed back to Seoul. She had to confirm everything. She parked her car to Tao's house and knocked at the door. 

"Eo. Annyeong Mimi. What's up?" Tao welcomed. 

"Oppa.. There's something I want to ask you."

"Ah. Come in."

They sat at the sofa and Minmi was nervous now. 

"Do you still have your mask during our Prom Night back then?"

"Ne. Ne. Just wait here. I'll get it."

He went to his room and when he finally got out with a white mask in his hands, Minmi got even more nervous. He handed it to her. She turned it upside down and flipped the back of its lace. Her eyes got teary all of a sudden. She couldn't believe what it's written on it. 

"Mimi ah.. why you're crying?" Tao got worried. 

"Oppa.. Before you got sick that Prom Night, do you remember being crowned as the King of the Night?"

He shook his head.

"We ditched the prom and went to the bar instead with Xiumin hyung and the rest of the guys."

She looked down and realized everything now. Tao slowly snatched the mask on her hand and read what's written that made her cry. 'Son Hyun Woo.'

Tao comforted her after hearing her story. 

"That means I'm no longer your bestfriend." He playfully sulked. 

"Ani oppa. You're still my best friend of course. And nothing will change that." She finally smiled. 

"Then what you've waiting for my dear best friend. Get on your feet and go to him." He smiled. 

"Gumawo oppa." 

She bid her farewell and he pumped his fist in the air as a good luck wish for her. 

 

 

While on her way, she couldn't contain her feelings anymore. Her tears of joy kept falling. She finally realized why she fell for him that instantly despite his cold attitude at first. He's always there for her when she's in trouble. And she felt secure whenever his around. Her phone rang and Eunji was on the other line. 

"Yoboseyo? Jiji?"

"Mimi ah.. Are you coming home now!?"

"Ne. Why Jiji ah?"

"Ppalli and stop Shownu-ssi! He's leaving today. Kihyun heard from his younger brother, he's going to New York for good."

"J-jjinja?! Arasseo, jeongmal gumawo jiji ah!" She hung up and got a text of his flight details from Eunji afterwards. 

"So you're leaving huh? Ani. I won't let you." She muttered. 

She drove her car back in double speed and went to Incheon airport. She had one hour and thirty minutes left before his departure. 

She ran going in the airport as fast as she could the moment she arrived. She looked around and searched for him. But she didn't see him anywhere. She sat on the waiting area, feeling hopeless now. She caught her breath after running around. 

"Flight 103 heading to New York will take off now. Flight 103 will take off now."

She stood up after hearing the announcement. So it was too late now. She walked towards the glass wall where she could already see the plane taking off. Her tears just b a while ago finally fell. If only she had gone earlier, she could have catch the plane. Her hand having the mask dropped lifeless on her side. It's too hard to bear seeing the one she loved the whole time leaving her. She sobbed again. It hurts too much. 

Shownu stopped in his tracks and hid behind a post. He's still in the airport and was hurt again seeing her crying. All he had to do was leave but he hurt her again. His eyes got teary with the scene in front of him. He left quietly after not standing it anymore. 

 

Minmi got back in her car with shoulders down. This was really the end for the both of them. She arrived in their apartment with puffy eyes and Eunji knew it right away. She missed the plane. She cried even more as Eunji hugged her tightly. Few days had passed and Minmi was still carrying a heavy heart. Even at work, her friends were pretty much worried now. Weekend hit again as sunlight also barged in her room and hit her face. She stretched her arms when her phone suddenly rang.

"Yoboseyo?" She lazily said. 

"Mimi ah! Annyeong.. Are you up dear?"

She bolted up the moment she heard the voice over the phone. 

"Ah.. Ne Mrs. Son. What can I do for you?"

Her face lit up the moment she heard it. Like all the bitterness inside her vanished in an instant. She felt her courage building up instead. 

"Ne! I'll be there in a minute Mrs. Son. Jeongmal gumawoyo~" She fixed herself quickly and got ready. 

She looked at her reflection in her car mirror and an evil grin was plastered on her face. 

"Son. Hyun. Woo. You're gonna get it." She fumed in anger as she drove fast. 

As soon as she arrived, Mrs. Son welcomed her. 

"I was already worried with him. He doesn't go out of his room for days now after his failed departure last week. And I know you're the only one who could help me."

"Aish..This ahjussi seriously drives me crazy. Leave it to me Mrs. Son." She smiled mischievously. 

She got a microphone like that of the policemen inside her car and cleared . She walked a bit to distance herself and looked up to his room from the outside. 

"Yah! Son Hyun Woo-ssi. Come out of your room now or else you'll gonna get what you want!" 

She announced as they looked up in the open window of his room. But no sign of him. 

"I know your secret now. And I just want you to know, I'm not going to let you go this time." 

She continued, earning heads from the neighbors passing by. Some were also watching the scene with love all around. Still, no Shownu coming out. 

"Ahjussi.. This might be a bit embarrassing ... G-gureoinde.. Sa-.. saranghanda.. I loved you for a long time and still.. " She shyly confessed and the neighbors cheered for her. Even Mrs. Son was so happy. She knew it from the start. She's the girl her son's heart belongs to. 

Shownu unconsciously dropped the grocery bags in his hands as he heard her confession. He froze and all eyes his direction. 

"Eo? Dear? Since when you're out?" 

His mom was also surprised seeing him outside the house. It's been days she hadn't see him outside his room. A smile grew up on Minmi's face and there's no turning back now. She had finally given the answer to his long overdue question. She slowly walked towards him and faced him with the sweetest smile she ever had. Shownu let out a chuckle and she pouted in response. 

"Aigoo. This ahjumma really knew my weakness."

He finally gave in and held her hand like for the very first time again. He brought her in his embrace tightly and his longing heart was filled by her again. No words could describe how happy he was at the moment. He finally realized, leaving her wouldn't give any cure nor solution to the both of them. He'll just keep hurting her in the future. They had to follow what their hearts were screaming inside. 

"I'm sorry for hurting you. Really sorry. I'm a fool that time and it drove me nuts after that."

"Ne..my pabo ahjussi." She broke the hug and mehrong at him. 

He was about to lock her in his arms again as a punishment but Minmi escaped quickly and rushed behind Mrs. Son. His mom quirked her eyebrows at him and he couldn't do anything when it comes to his mom. Minmi danced in victory, seeing him sulking. Soon they got inside and Mrs. Son happily cooked a really good food tonight for the new official couple. 

 

 

Tao finally faced his fear as he and Hyeri were having a deep conversation. Hyeri, as understanding as always, waited for him to talk. 

"Noona.. Mianhada. I knew you figured it out now. Minmi was so close to me that I didn't see her so early the way she sees me. This relationship... "

"I can wait..." Hyeri replied softly. 

"Ne?"

"I said I can wait till you'll love me as me. The Hyeri you admired back then." She smiled. 

Tao was more confused now. He's been a bad boyfriend yet here she was loving him the way she used to be. Hyeri admitted that she grew feeligs for him already and she'll be more hurt if this relationship would end too soon. Tao came to his senses and his eyes got teary. 

"Thank you noona. I'll try my best to be the best boyfriend for you. I'll make up for our wasted time together. Will you start with me again?" He said sincerely holding her hand. 

Hyeri nodded and tears also escaped her eyes. She didn't expect to turned out like this. She thought it was really the end for them. Tao hugged her happily like she's the only one for him again. 

 

______________________________________________

 

Kyaaahhhh! How are you my dear readers? :) 

I hoped you love this story from the start till the end. Sadly, the last chapter will be up anytime soon. Thanks so much for reading! <3