Chapter 22. Cheer Up on Christmas Eve?

Nice Try Ahjussi

 

Minmi woke up but her head still hurts. Hence, she pulled her blanket up to cover her upper body and closed her tired eyes once again. When the thought of her being in a bed comfortably hit her, she hurriedly sat and forced to open her eyes to see where she is. Guess she's in the same guestroom she entered back then. A knock was heard from the door and there revealed Mrs. Son all smiling. 

"Good morn-.. Eo!? What happened to your eyes Minmi ah?" Mrs. Son worriedly asked, checking her eyes. Her eyes were too puffy and dark circles were visible underneath them.

"Good morning too Mrs. Son." She smiled a bit at the sight of her. "Just a party hangover..." 

"Ah.. Arasseo. It's a day before Christmas. Come and let's eat breakfast." She stood up and smiled. 

"Ne. Gumawo Mrs. Son. I'll follow you outside. I'll just get ready." She bowed. 

"Alright. We'll wait for you." She smiled and closed the door gently as she went out. 

She fixed her blanket and soon stood up. She checked her face at the small mirror on the table and she really looked horrifying. She paused for a moment and sighed. 

"Today.. Lets choose to be happy as possibe Mimi ah."

She muttered as she let out a small smile. She glanced again at the mirror and she realized her clothes were changed into pyjamas. She quickly covered her body by crossing her arms and tried to remember what happened last night at the park. 

"Could it be... Omo." Her eyes widened. 

She rushly went out and headed to the bathroom. But that's when Shownu also went out of his room and their heads bumped unexpectedly. Both of them yelped in pain but most especially Minmi. 

"Yaa--" Shownu was about to yell at her but when he looked at her face, he seemed more like scared. 

"Omo." He muttered. 

"Wae~? I'm not a ghost. Cut that look." She puffed her cheeks. 

Shownu controlled himself to laugh and he just nodded. He waved his hand in front of her face, signalling her to go ahead. She squinted her eyes on him and walked towards the bathroom. 

"Still rude ahjussi..." She muttered. 

 

As soon as Minmi got herself ready, she went to the dining room immediately. She couldn't let Mrs. Son wait that longer. 

"Aigoo. Minmi ah.. You used the same clothes today. I'm sorry. Most of my clothes were still for laundry. But I can lend you some leggings though." Mrs. Son said as she noticed Minmi wearing the pyjama she wore last night after taking a bath. 

"Gwaenchana Mrs. Son..." She smiled as they started eating. 

"By the way Minmi.. Would you mind to go with us shopping for Christmas eve?"

"N-ne? But I have to call Eunji first Mrs. Son. She must be very worried now."

"Oh..with that, I already called her last night dear." 

Minmi glanced at Shownu who seemed not interested with their conversation. 

"Arasseo Mrs. Son." She beamed. "I'll come with you."

"Thank you dear! I'm sure you'll have fun. Shownu ah, get some clean shirt that you have and lend it to Minmi for the meantime."

"Mwo-" 

"Ppalli... "

Shownu raised his eyebrows but soon brought it down when his mom flashed her a deadly glare concealing it with a smile. Shownu then obliged and went to his room after their breakfast. Minmi helped Mrs. Son wash the plates. 

"Alright Mimi... get yourself ready. I'll go get one of my leggings for you."

"Gumawo Mrs. Son." She smiled and went right away to the guestroom. 

She put on a light make up and tied her hair in ponytail. Suddenly, she heard a knock. She opened it but only to be burdened by a white shirt and a sweater thrown to her face, unable to see who's the culprit. From that greeting, she already knew it was him. 

"Thanks." She said, rolling her eyes as she removed the clothes. She closed the door and all Shownu could do was smile. Soon after, Mrs. Son went to her room and handed her a black leggings too. She thanked her smilingly. She looked at the mirror and the clothes were somehow good. Though Shownu's shirt was big for her size, she tucked it in and the black hoodie sweater covered it up. Just perfect for the cold weather. When she's satisfied, she already made her way out of the guestroom. She couldn't believe again what she heard just a meter beside her. A sound of the door also being closed. There also stood Shownu with his gray hoodie sweater and a jersey kinda shirt inside it. When Minmi realized what really inside his sweater, her curiosity couldn't wait no more. 

"Eo?? Is that the jersey I lend you back then?" 

She squinted her eyes while pointing at his clothes. Shownu smirked and clicked his tongue. 

"You have a bad eyesight. Kaja. Eomma is waiting outside already."

He grabbed her hand and lead her until they reached outside the house. Minmi's eyes widened at their sudden contact. When they just stood there, Shownu looked at her and soon their eyes met. He quickly released her hand, avoiding the awkward situation. They both looked away instantly. Minmi shifted her eyes to Mrs. Son and luckily she was not facing them because of a phone call. 

"Ne. Bye.. " Mrs. Son ended the call. "Alright! Let's go."

She happily walked first while the two behind were walking side by side, awkwardly to each other. Minmi wore a cap as usual, hiding her identity to avoid commotion. They rode on a bus going to a supermarket nearby. Upon entering the bus, Minmi walked past Shownu and quickly sat beside Mrs. Son. Shownu felt defeated and that's because of Minmi. Now he was left standing since the bus was full with passengers. He puffed his cheeks at her and held at the safety railing for support. She grinned at him in return. She realized this side of Shownu sooner. 'He's way cuter when pissed off. HA.' She thought. 

Soon they arrived at the supermarket. Mrs. Son suddenly have a phone call and the two just stood there waiting for her. 

"Aigoo. I'm sorry kids. I forgot I had to meet your uncle today Shownu dear. Mimi ah, mianhae. But I'll try to catch up later if I have more time left." Mrs. Son apologized. 

"Dear, I have some favor though if it's okay." She turned to Minmi. "Could you help us shop for our Christmas eve?"

"Awh. I would love to. Don't worry Mrs. Son. I got this." Minmi smiled. She thought of this as repaying Mrs. Son's kindness towards her. 

"Thank you so much dear! Here's the grocery list for our menu tonight." She handed her a note. 

"I've got to go then. Take care." She waved and soon left them. 

Minmi turned around and walked to start shopping. She then noticed Shownu not following her, causing her to walk back towards him. 

"Kaja." She smiled at him. But he's still not moving. He just coolly put his hands on his pockets again. She then went closer to him and hooked her arm to his. 

"Kaja." She smiled again at him, more cheeky this time. 

"Aish.." 

Shownu removed her arm and walked ahead first. She smiled widely and she knew she already won. She ran and caught up with him. She linked her arm again, teasing him. 

"Ga~" Shownu shoved her away again. But this time her hold was too strong. 

"Shiro!" She grinned at him. 

"Aish.." He said defeatedly. 

They walked that way until they reached the vegetable and fruit section of the supermarket. Minmi then unhooked her arm and started picking what's on the list. Shownu, who just stood behind her, immediately felt relieved when she released him. His poor heart might not gain back its normal pace if she didn't release him sooner. Minmi carefully picked the good ones.

"Look at this." She playfully put a tomato in front of her nose and faced Shownu. 

"You looked like one." He replied. 

"Jinjja?" She laughed.

 "Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer~ Had a very shiny nose.."

She started singing as she picked again. She hummed the other part of the song, causing Shownu to smile behind her. He shook his head at her silliness. After picking, she scanned the list once again and her eyes brimmed in excitement. 

"Waaaaa! Mrs. Son will have a fruit salad. I'm going to love this." She smiled widely. "Let's go to the condiments section."

They soon headed to buy the necessary condiments for tonight's recipes. Shownu held the basket for her as he just trailed behind. When they're done, they paid at the counter. Shownu excused for a while and told her he'll be back for a minute. When he soon arrived, they went out of the supermarket. Minmi noticed a gift shop nearby and how could she forgot that she had to buy presents too. 

"Let's go buy some gifts." 

She beamed at him as she happily skipped at the gift shop. Shownu just followed her. She counted in her fingers how many gifts she had to buy. After deciding, she started looking for gifts that suit them. While Shownu was also scanning, this gave Minmi a chance to go at the cap section of the shop. She saw a black cap with a cool white embroidered 5 stars design on top. She also liked the cap if she was asked to pick. As they said, you must buy a gift like you want it for yourself to be able to satisfy the person you'll be giving it to. 'This will look cool on him.' She thought smilingly. 

"Are you done?" Shownu walked towards her and she quickly hid the cap behind her. 

"Ye." She smiled as he raised an eyebrow looking behind her. 

"Arasseo." He headed first outside while Minmi paid at the counter. 

After shopping, they went home already. They didn't wait for Mrs. Son since she called and told that she couldn't catch up anymore. Minmi was surprised when the house was already decorated with Christmas lights and a Christmas tree was at the corner. She happily skipped at the Christmas tree and put all the gifts she bought under it. They soon went to the kitchen and she put all the goods they bought on top of the table. Shownu helped her unpacked too. The door suddenly opened and revealed Mrs. Son. She's finally back. 

"Aigoo.. I'm sorry kids. I have left you like that but I have brought you something."

The door opened again and the room soon filled with noisy kids. 

"Tada~!!!"

Kihyun, Eunji, Wonho, Hyungwon and Minhyuk chorused as they excitedly entered one by one. Minmi laughed at the sight of them while Shownu wasn't. Those three silly dongsaengs will pester him again about Minmi. 

"Okay. You four, just sit there while we prepare for tonight. Arasseo?" Mrs. Son said. 

"Ne. Mrs. Son." The guys said in unison. 

"Hyung-ah.. We'll play NBA on your Playstation!" Wonho shouted in excitement as they rummaged through the TV area. 

"Yah!" Shownu sprinted at the living room. But soon joined them in peace. He thought this was the best way to divert their attention to the game and not to Minmi. 

"Jiji-ah! You came." Minmi hugged her bestfriend. 

"Of course! Why wouldn't I." She smiled back. 

"Okay! I'll start cooking." Mrs. Son happily said as she's satisfied seeing Minmi so glad finally. 

"We'll help you Mrs. Son!" Minmi beamed. 

"Aigoo no need dear. I can handle this."

"Ani. We want to." 

The two ladies started getting the knifes and chopping boards. Mrs. Son smiled at their kindness. The girls busily prepared the dishes. Mrs. Son was cooking chapchae and beef steak. Eunji was making sushi and maki while grilling some pork on the other stove. Minmi, on the other hand, was making the fruit salad. She's expert when it comes to sweets. They enjoyed cooking while cheers and laughs were heard too in the living room. Four eyes were glued on the monitor as they were watching the match between Kihyun and Hyungwon. Minhyuk suddenly poked Wonho's arm and nod his head to Shownu who's beside him. Wonho then looked at Shownu and the two grinned mischievously. 

"Hyung... You'll wear her out if you'll keep looking at her like that." Wonho but he didn't budge. He didn't heard them. 

"Hyung-ah!" Minhyuk half yelled, causing Minmi to turn her head at their direction. That's when Shownu turned also his head to the guys beside him. 

"M-mwoh?" He asked them curiously. Wonho and Minhyuk just laughed out loudly. Minhyuk patted Shownu's chest smilingly. He just shrugged and went back to watching the game while the two beside him were still grinning. 

 

"Merry Christmas!!!"

They all happily cheered as midnight came. 

"Let's go eat, kids!"

Mrs. Son beamed and they didn't hesitate to oblige. They all hurriedly went to the dining table and their eyes widened at the sight of the delicious dishes in front of them. 

"Waah.. I couldn't wait!" Minhyuk clasped his hands together in excitement. 

Shownu, who was in front of the salad, couldn't control anymore just at the sight of it. It's his weakness when it comes to food. His hand slowly crept up and was going to target a fruit berry when he suddenly yelped in pain. Minmi caught him and she slapped his hand.

"Aissh..." He rubbed his hand to ease the pain while Minmi smirked. 

They all sat down and started filling their tummies excitedly. Shownu couldn't wait any longer and he started first with the salad. 

"Ey~ fill your tummy first with this. Your stomach will hurt at the sudden cold of that."

Minmi scooped a rice followed by chicken curry and put it on Shownu's plate. She smiled at him and she began eating too. Shownu was speechless and just stared at his plate. It's all his favorite. A smile soon escaped his lips and ate happily until his plate was all cleaned up. 

"Did you enjoy our recipes?" Mrs. Son asked. 

"Ye! Chapchae is the best." Hyungwon cheered.

"Daebak! I like the grilled pork and the sushis." Kihyun said. 

"That's our Eunji's recipe." Mrs. Son relayed smilingly. Eunji bowed in return. 

"How bout you hyung? You seemed so much into the curry and salad." Minhyuk, who sat opposite Shownu, beamed. 

"Ah.. N-ne." He smiled. 

"Aigoo. Who couldn't resist them? Those two were our Minmi's specialty." Mrs Son revealed happily. 

"Omo. You cook really good, noona.. It's so delicious." Hyungwon gave a two thumbs up. 

Minmi bowed and smiled widely at them while Shownu, who's beside her, had his jaw dropped as he looked at her. The dinner was then filled with laughter. 

 

The celebration didn't just end there. The group decided to have a small drink in the living room. 

"No hard drinks. Arasseo?" Mrs Son told them. 

"Yes Mrs. Son." They all said happily.

Minmi excused herself for a while and went out. She took her phone out and dialled his mom's number. 

"Eomma! Merry Christmas!" She greeted. 

"Ne. I wished I was there eomma. But don't worry. I'm fine here."

"Take care there and tell oppa, Merry Christmas too." 

She beamed and soon ended the call. She sighed deeply and closed her eyes for a moment. For a day, she felt happy again without Tao on her side. This was the first Christmas that she didn't think of him and she somehow felt relieved. Soon, snow fell and a small ice dropped on her nose. She smiled and opened her eyes. 

"You might catch a cold."

Shownu stood a meter beside her and looked at the falling snow as well. 

"Ani. Snowfalls are so beautiful that I'd rather catch a cold than not to feel their presence at all."

She smiled while turning her head at him. She realized the cap he's wearing and formed an 'o'. It's just that he wore it the bad boy way where the front part was at the back. But the 5 white stars on top of the head part of it made her sure that it's her present to him. 

"Ah.. Shownu-ssi. Where did you get that cap?" She asked to confirm it. 

"Hmm? Some ahjumma gave it to me as a gift." He smiled at her. 

"Eh?! Ani-.. " She scratched her head as she looked away. She suddenly remembered that she wrote 'To: Ahjussi' at the card. 

"Anyway. Ahjussi had one for that ahjumma too." He raised a gift and gave it to her. Minmi curiously looked at him and he just smiled. She opened it and her eyes couldn't believe what's in front of her. A white cap of  similar design with the cap she bought for him. It has 5 black stars embroidered this time on top of it, matching its color. She smiled and her eyes brimmed with happiness. 

"D-Did ahjussi really mean giving this to that ahjumma?"

He nodded at her. 

"Ye. On one condition."

"What condition?" She asked. 

"He wanted to know why you're calling him ahjussi..."

"Eo? Ah.. That.. " Minmi paused for a while as she was now looking at a serious Shownu in front of him. His smile vanished in a moment. She suddenly remembered what he said last time about her calling him ahjussi. It scared her really. Her heart pounded heavily. 

"Ah.. The reason.. T-The reason why was that... He looked like one...He has broad shoulders like ahjussi." She stuttered. "And.." 

"And.. " He raised his eyebrows and walked closer to her which made her more nervous. 

"And... he's tall like ahju-" 

She was cut and her eyes widened. She wasn't cut by his yell or mad words that always come from him. She wasn't cut by his cold actions that he always show at her especially in the past. Rather, she was cut by his lips on top of hers. His hand was holding her chin that lifted her face a bit to meet him. He stayed there for a minute while his eyes closed. Her body stiffened and her heart pounded even more. This wasn't the Shownu she knew for a long time. It was a kiss full of sweetness, not tainted with madness. He slowly released her lips and smiled. Minmi was still shocked and didn't know what to do. Shownu took the white cap on her hand and placed it gently on her head. He even adjusted it so it'll fit her perfectly. He bent closer to her, causing Minmi to step back now. 

"Next time you call me ahjussi... I'll kidnap you and leave you in a deserted island. ALONE. Sounds good. Right?" 

He smiled at her and all a frightened Minmi could do was to nod at him. 

"Alright. Let's go inside. It's already freezing in here." He said, walking in first. 

Nevertheless, how could she be freezing cold after what he had done to her? Even the hotness in a sauna couldn't equally describe her feelings right now. She fanned her tomato red face with her hands but only to be disrupted by Shownu's grab. He held her hand and walked her back inside the house. Her heart was doomed. Really doomed...

 

_____________________________________________

😍😍😍

And this video didn't help my spazzing heart. HONESTLY ❤

/le dies/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMosgX-Snu8