Chapter 28. Awards Night

Nice Try Ahjussi

 

The day finally arrived. Everyone was dressed in dazzling suits and gorgeous gowns or dresses upon arriving at the venue. Famous broadcasters in Korea attended the said event as well as CEOs of different broadcasting companies. Tao and Hyeri were the first ones to arrived representing SBS company. On the red carpet, flashes of cameras started as they went out of the limousine together. They smiled sweetly at the press and everyone was so jealous of the perfect couple. Tao was in his black suit while Hyeri was wearing an elegant silver like gown that matched with her sweet look. 

 

Next to arrive from their company was Sunhwa, all dressed in a y black bodycon dress emphasizing her curves...

 

She smiled at the press when she was at the mini platform. She smirked when she saw Minmi and Eunji walking at the red carpet now. She bowed and left the scene. Flashes were now turned to Mimmi and Eunji. They smiled and the press got even more excited. Eunji was wearing a lacey medium brown dress that fitted her chick style make up. 

 

While Minmi was wearing a simple white gown, decorated with silver beads and with a light make up on... 

Though they looked simple, Eunji and Minmi were satisfied with their dresses. Their sweet smiles proved it all. Kihyun, Gun and Jooheon were also there with their handsome suits as well. Others with elegant dresses soon followed and the cameras kept flashing. 

 

A cocktail party was held before the main event starts. And Eunji was amazed at how KBS prepared this. They entered a hall where tables, foods and drinks were set elegantly. The attendees soon enjoyed the food and drinks while greeting familiar faces with other broadcasting companies. The group of Minmi stayed in one corner of the hall. Minmi was sometimes surprised when other famous broadcasters approached her and congratulated her. She was one really of the biggest names in the broadcasting history today. She thanked them and bowed in return. She smiled at them. Having this wonderful people congratulating her was already enough. She didn't hope to win anymore.

"Wait a second. I'll just go to the restroom." She excused herself to her friends. 

Tao and Hyeri were also at one corner talking with the CEO of Arirang. Tao was somehow occasionally glancing at Minmi's direction. His heart was beating fast again seeing her.

"Yeobo?" Hyeri caught his attention. 

"Ah ne.." He turned back to them and smiled.

 On the other side, Sunhwa was already jealous by the scene. She was eyeing Minmi from head to toe. She suddenly stood up and rolled her eyes. 

"Plan activated..." She muttered, walking towards Minmi's direction. 

Minmi walked in the aisle and she saw Sunhwa walking towards her. She felt something was not right but she just ignored it. She walked comfortably and Sunhwa just walked pass her. However, the strap of her dress suddenly loosen up and the edges of it were about to fall on the floor which might cause her to step on it and stumble as well. She quickly crossed her arms on her chest and closed her eyes. Timingly, Tao glanced at her and saw her struggling. He removed his coat quickly, leaving him in his inner white long sleeve shirt and rushed to her. Minmi wrongly stepped back and she was about to stumble when a coat was swayed in the air and finally covered her, turning her around to hug him instead. Her eyes was still closed leaning on his chest. Everyone gasped at the scene. And flashes of camera soon started. 

"Careful ahjumma..." He whispered, still hugging her. 

The moment she heard those words, her heart skipped a beat. The voice she longed for a long time. 'It couldn't be him.' Her mind fought with her heart, causing her eyes to open and look up. His handsome features... His scent... His broad shoulders... Now, she wasn't dreaming. The man wearing his inner white long sleeve shirt in front of her was the man she loves now...

He properly fixed the coat around her using his other hand and broke the hug slowly. Minmi also held the coat in one hand to avoid it falling. She was still speechless with the happenings around her. More than speechless when he suddenly held her hand and lead her to walk out of the scene. Tao saw this and his heart ached for the first time. His hand loosely held the coat he removed. Hyeri glanced at him and held his hand. She smiled at him and he could only do was to force a smile in return. 

On the other hand, Sunhwa was a bit annoyed again. There should be a wardrobe malfunction issue. However, she was still happy since Minmi couldn't make it to the main event now. Also, if she would make it, her dress would be so poor. She smirked, making her way to the main hall now. 

 

He brought Minmi in a private room and let her sit down. 'She must be shocked of what happened back there.' He thought. He went to the table and poured water on a glass. 

"Why?" She suddenly spoke. Shownu paused for a moment while his back was facing her. 

"Why did you come b-back?"

He smiled and walked towards her with his hands on his pockets. 

"Wae? Shouldn't I? I miss someone... Can't I visit her?" He bent down and drew his face closer to Minmi, causing the latter to draw back. 

"Huh. That's nonsense. If you truly missed someone... You should find a way to stay with her side no matter what." She forced a smile as she drew her face closer to him as well. Shownu thought for a while and nodded. He retreated back and stood properly. 

"Gurae. Seems like you've changed a lot ahjumma. I might as well change your damaged dress. I don't want you to miss this event."

He tooked out his phone and called someone. He was right. It's an important night for her and to think of it, at this time, the program has already started. In just a few minutes, a stylist and a staff with different dresses on her hands entered the room. 

"Take care of her." He ordered as he went out. The stylist and staff bowed. 

Minmi was about to ask him something but he was already out. Too many questions that she wanted real time answers. 

"That ahjussi guy.." She pouted. 

"Omo. You're Ms. Minmi. It's our pleasure to get you styled." One of the young girl stylist fangirled as she saw Minmi. 

"Kamsahamnida." Minmi bowed at them. "I must be the one thanking you."

She smiled at them and they also bowed in return. 

"Alright. Let's start Ms. Minmi."

The stylist started to change Minmi's make up to fit the new gowns they brought. 

 

The awarding soon started and Minmi wasn't there yet. Kihyun, Eunji, Gun and also Tao were already worried about her. The MC were calling out the winners now. 

"And for the Best Scriptwriter category, here are the nominees... "

Names were flashed on the screen and Kihyun patted Eunji's back, calming her. She was nervous already. 

"And the award goes to.... Ms. Eunji of KBS network!"

The crowd clapped. Eunji's mouth formed into 'o'.

"Omo, I won..."

"WAAAAAAA! JIJI ah! We told you you'll win." Gun and Kihyun cheered. 

She later cheered and happily went up on stage to receive the award and had a short speech thanking everyone. 

"Moving on. Here are the nominees for the Best News Anchor of the Year... "

The crowd were now eager and had predicted already who will gonna win this. 

"And the award goes to... Ms. Shin Minmi of SBS network!" 

Cheers and claps from the crowd were louder as they anticipated her to come up on stage. However, all their heads turned around, looking for her and no one was coming up. The clap sound then gradually faded. A minute passed and still no one was coming up. Hyeri smirked. Tao went up on stage to receive the award instead. 

"On behalf of Ms. Minmi, we thank you for love you've given her all this time. Kamsahamnida.." 

Tao bowed and forced a smile. 'Where are you Mimi ah?' He thought, worried than ever as he stepped down the stage. He had to save her at that moment to distract the audience from Minmi's sudden disappearance. Eunji and her friends were also worried now. 

"Alright! Our nominees for the Best Variety Show is up. Let's check it out.."

Sunhwa's smile grew wider. This is the moment she's been waiting for. Her time has arrived. 

"And the award goes to... "Get it Beauty of Channel M!" 

Sunhwa's smile disappeared quickly and it transferred to Eunji and her friends. Guess, they got it right. She and her attitude will never make it. She turned her head to their direction and noticed them. She eyed them madly. 

"Serves her right." Eunji muttered. "Aigoo. Where on earth is Mimi now?" 

The MC continued to announced the winners. More staffs from KBS, Arirang and SBS were given awards which made the event more exciting. And it was finally down to the last three major categories. But Minmi wasn't still there. 

"Next is the Top Grossing Network of the Year. Here are the nominees... "

Arirang, Mnet, SBS, KBS were flashed on the screen. 

"And the award goes to... SBS network!"

The crowd claps were now more louder as Tao and Hyeri went up on stage to receive the trophy and thanked everyone.

"As a part of this special occasion, we prepared also a special award which is the Public Service Awardee of the Year. And here are the special nominees... "

"Omo. Minmi, where are you..." Eunji muttered for the last time. Though she knew she's in Shownu's hands, she also liked her best friend to receive the award personally. She's sure Minmi will win this again. 

"And the award goes to... Ms. Shin Minmi of SBS!"

The crowd went wild again. And they waited in anticipation for the one who'll come up on stage. 

"Ms. Shin, where are you? The crowd really wants to see you." The MC playfully announced. The crowd agreed as well. 

"EO?! OMO! THERE SHE IS! And oh my God... She's really beautiful! Neomu neomu areumdawo!" The MC said. 

The crowd turned their heads at one corner and there they saw Minmi making her way up on the stage. She looked really gorgeous at that cream colored gown with a dazzling top, paired with her light smokey make up and hair that's tied up. 

 

 

The crowd went wilder than ever. Their loud cheers and claps made Minmi more nervous as she was now on the center stage after receiving her award. 

"Good evening. First of all, I want to thank God for this. My family, friends, to the company who trusted me, and to the special ahjussi who helped me a lot in the documentary... " She glanced at Shownu who had his hands on his pockets in a dim corner. Her nervous heart went calm after seeing him. "Jeongmal... Jeongmal kamsahamnida.." She smiled sweetly and bowed. 

"Whoa. Thank you Ms. Minmi for providing us a great news show experience all the time. And we're more curious now who was that special ahjussi." The MC playfully said as she walked down the stage.

The audience agreed too as they clapped louder once again for her. She soon went towards where Eunji and her friends were seated. All her friends' jaw dropped as they shook hands with her, congratulating her. 

"OMG. You're so freaking gorgeous tonight Mimi ah!" Eunji and Kihyun fangirled. 

"Ne! Ne! Let me be that special ahjussi noona..." Gunhee pleaded, earning a hit in the head from Kihyun. 

"In your dreams gunnie." Kihyun chuckled at the sulking Gunnie. 

"Gumawo chingus..." She laughed at their playfulness. 

She turned her head at one direction and smiled. Tao looked at her and smiled in return. But when he realized, she was looking passed him. He glanced at his right and there he saw the same guy who saved Minmi a while ago. She looked back to the MC and sighed deeply, feeling relieved. Meanwhile, Sunhwa stood up furiously and walked out of the venue. She was totally defeated. She doesn't have the reason to stay longer and finish the event anymore. 

"Now, we're down to the one last major award tonight!" The MC announced excitedly. "Here are the nominees for the Best Network of the Year..."

Arirang, SBS and KBS names were flashed on the screen. Everyone was very excited of who will win this one. It was a tough battle between the three who had close number of minor awards achieved. With the vote of the pioneer and veteran broadcasters in Korea, Social Media analysts, and netizens, may the best network win. 

"And the award goes to... " Drum rolls were played in the background, adding the excitement into it. 

"KBS! Chukkahamnida!" 

All stood up, giving a standing ovation for the winner and cheered. Surely, they deserved it. A young man went up on stage to receive the award. 

"Eo? Is he the CEO of KBS? He's so young." Eunji said while clapping. 

"Ani. He's the son." Gun replied. When the claps faded, the man started to speak. 

"Good evening to everyone. Lim Changkyun imnida. You may now take your seats. It's an honor for my father to be here, receiving this award. Unfortunately, he couldn't be here to thank you all personally. However, as much as I don't want to break a promise, I couldn't help but to have this man receive this award in behalf of my father and the company instead of me." 

The crowd went confused all of a sudden because of his speech. 

"He was the one behind this success, high ratings, new concepts, high quality shows and more of KBS. Thank you. Abeoji and I are so proud of you. Please welcome my older brother, our new CEO... Shownu hyung!" Changkyun clapped and smiled wider. 

Spotlight were now turned to a dim corner and there showed Shownu. He was also surprised by what his dongsaeng did. He publicly announced already their relationship as well as his identity. Changkyun promised him that he would hide his identity as a brother and the new CEO so he'll accept the offer working in the company to help them. He liked to have a working relationship with his employees that needed no awkward moments with him because of his position. The audience once again cheered louder and gave him a standing ovation exept for one. Minmi couldn't move at all. She was truly speechless. Eunji and her friends as well as Tao and Hyeri also couldn't believe it. Shownu, on the other hand, couldn't do anything but to accept it. He thought, it'd be better this way now. He smiled and went up on stage. Changkyun handed him the trophy and gave him a manly hug. 

"Good evening to all. I'm surprised by that dongsaeng ah."

He playfully said, lifting the mood higher. Every girl in the audience fangirled at him. It started at the cocktail party where he was so mysterious yet so good looking.

"But seriously, I want to thank you all for the love you consistently giving to KBS. Without you, KBS is nothing. Also, I want to thank a special ahjumma in my life. She's my strength doing all this for the company. Once again, thank you and enjoy the rest of the night." He smiled and soon went down the stage. 

The claps and cheers were now deafening because of his speech and Minmi's heart raced faster than ever. 

"Omo. That's one of a surprise for everyone. Anyway, congratulations to you brothers and KBS family. Our Awards Night has come to an end, congratulations to all winners! Thank you all for coming tonight! Long Live and Annyeong! See you next year!" The MCs announced happily. 

The press were now taking photos at the awardees. Some were already taking an interview with the quoted words that were heard in their speeches. 

"Ms. Minmi, who's that special person?" 

"Do we know him?"

"At the cocktail party, Mr. Shownu saved you. What can you say about that?

"Perhaps, is he the special person?"

Minmi was bombarded with questions but she just smiled at them. She was shy already. Now, knowing that the guy he used to call as ahjussi was the CEO of KBS. Shownu was also interviewed on the other side and he just smiled in return at the press. He was worried at Minmi instead and he kept looking at her. He suddenly rushed to her side and held her hand. 

"Omo." The press was surprised for the second time and took numerous pictures of the two. 'They would really make perfect couple.' They thought. 

"Gwaenchana?" He whispered. 

Minmi just nodded and smiled a bit. But that didn't conceal want she's really feeling right now. She was tensed and her hand was cold. He held it tighter and smiled as he faced the press. It's time... 

"This woman beside me is my special ahjumma. I hope that answers all your questions. Have a good night." He smiled and lead Minmi out of the venue. 

The press was left speechless. Yet, they went wild again after hearing his statement. They also cheered when they saw a light of them being in a relationship. They followed them but they were already in a car and went off. 

The two soon arrived at the Han river and they sat at a mat Shownu placed while watching the beautiful lights. About Shownu's disappearance, it was all clear to Minmi now. The happenings were just to fast to take it in. Her thoughts was cut when he removed his coat and covered her bare shoulders. It was still cold for a night. 

"You looked really beautiful tonight... " He smiled looking at a distance. Minmi turned her head at him and she saw the sweetest smile she had ever seen from him. 

"It's because of you though... Giving me this fancy gown and..." 

"You're beautiful ever since... " He added, cutting her as he smiled at her this time. 

"N-ne? Minmi blushed at his confession. 

"The words you said at press a w-while ago... D-do you really mean it?" She asked in return. 

He just stared at her. Soon, he slowly went closer to her and whispered something to her ear that sent chills down to her spine. 

"Did ahjumma learned Kung Fu already?" He asked in a soft husky voice. 

She was alarmed now as he slowly drew back but still close to her face. And next thing she knew was that he captured her lips passionately. Her heart was in fire now. The warmth of his soft lips somehow showed how much his love was burning for her. Shownu also felt the same. He truly missed her. The memories he spent with her were always hunting him. She was the girl in his dreams. He slowly broke the kiss and finally said the name that belonged to him since then... 

 

"Saranghae... Mimi.."

 

_____________________________________________

WAAAAAAA! *spazzzzzzzz* and I'm just happy Shownu finally... ashfdjgklglsshsgfk 😍 ㅋㅋ

Eonni feels. Mian 😄

How was it dear readers? ㅎㅎㅎ ;) 

*also credits to newyorkdress.com for the lovely dresses. 👍 You may visit their page anytime.^^ *