Chapter 21. Christmas Comfort

Nice Try Ahjussi

 

December 23's eve. The SBS conference hall was now decorated with lanterns and a giant Christmas tree at one corner. Beautiful Christmas lights were dangling at the ceilings as well as Christmas songs were filling the whole place. All the employees were dressed elegantly; ladies in beautiful gowns and men in their black and white tuxedos. When the board of directors arrived as well as the CEO, the hall was filled with deafening claps and cheers. Tao escorted Hyeri and they looked like the King and Queen of a prom night. With his white tuxedo on, Tao's handsome face was clearly visible. And who wouldn't lay their eyes with Hyeri tonight? She's so beautiful in that blue green maxi dress.

Tao couldn't stop smiling at her. He's very happy upon seeing her at the hall entrance a while ago. She finally wore his gift and it did really fit her. He thanked Minmi again at the back of his mind. He soon released Hyeri in his arms as she went up on the mini platform. 

"Good evening. Let's enjoy tonight everyone. Have a wonderful Christmas." She widely smiled and bowed. 

She went down and joined Tao on a table. On the other side, Minmi was staring blankly at her iced tea. 

"Eyy. Mimi ah.. Is there's something bothering you?" Kihyun poked her in the arm. 

"N-Nothing." She smiled a bit. 

"Alright. By the way, you looked lovely tonight Mimi ah." Kihyun also smiled, causing her to look at her purple colored strapless satin gown. It's so simple but still elegant to look at. 

"Thanks Kihyunnie..."

She took a sip of her iced tea and soon Shownu and Eunji joined them. Shownu seated across Minmi and he noticed that she wasn't like herself today. She was looking pass through him for a long time. He followed her gaze and he saw Tao and Hyeri seated not far from them. He adjusted his seat while drinking his wine, causing Minmi's eyes to shift at him. Her forehead creased at him. He blocked Tao and Hyeri from her view.

"I'll go get some drinks." 

She stood up and walked towards the catering section. Eunji and Kihyun looked at her as they noticed her glass was still full. 

"Oh, what a lovely night..." 

Sunhwa and her friends approached Minmi. "Merry Christmas Minmi." She added smilingly. 

Minmi just bowed and turned around to leave them. 

"Are you hurt?"

She stopped after hearing those words from Sunhwa. 

"Seeing the guy you love with someone on a lovely Christmas party like this?" She smirked. 

"Stop fantasizing like Tao sajangnim really like you." She fake a laugh and clicked her tongue. 

"Poor you..."

Minmi closed her eyes and her ears were already red. Her hand formed into a fist but later relaxed it as she breathe out deeply. 'You didn't heard anything Mimi. They're just losers.' She thought, calming herself as she continued to walk. She returned back and put her empty glass wine on the table. 

"I'll just go outside for a while."

She excused herself from them. Shownu watched her leaving and saw her almost bumping a waiter. He was about to stand up but stopped himself when he saw her already walking properly. Minmi freed herself from the Christmas party. She slowly walked outside and let coldness hit her. She arrived at a mini garden behind the company's building. She walked some more and she saw two silhouettes from a distance. When she walked closer, she's already seeing a guy's back in white tuxedo and a lady in a maxi dress...the dress she once tried...the dress that seemed so true to be hers. She stopped in her tracks. Her feet didn't want to continue anymore. She closed her eyes that were in the verge of crying. 

"Yes! I'm not dreaming..aren't I?!" 

"Ye."

"Thank you noona! I'll take care of you like I promise."

Extremely happy confessions and laughs that should sound like music to her ears but turned out to be monotonous to her. She forced to open her eyes and what she saw made her tears fall completely. Hundred stabs? That didn't equally describe how painful she's feeling right now. Tao kissed Hyeri sweetly and her eyes were fully aware of it. She turned around to avoid seeing the scene more, causing her head to hit a chest gently. She didn't look up anymore. All she wanted to do is to cry and that happened as she wished. She sobbed uncontrollably until all her energy drained out. She hugged the person in front of her really close, not caring anymore who it was. Shownu slowly raised his arm and held her back in return which was already very cold from the night's breeze. Any minute soon, snow would fall as forecasted. After a few minutes, her sobs turned into hiccups. She broke the hug slowly and still looked down as she continued walking. She didn't even notice Shownu. Her knees got weak all of a sudden and was about to fall. Luckily, Shownu caught her and helped her to stand straight. She soon realized it was Shownu but she's too weak to say something to him. She continued to walk ahead of him and go wherever her feet drag her to. Shownu just put his hands on his pockets and followed her silently until they arrived at a park. It was a long walk that Shownu controlled himself to complain at her. At this hour at night, he didn't want her to be alone in the streets either. She sat on a bench and stared at a swing as tears formed again in her eyes. 

 

"Should I swing you higher Mimi ah?" Tao happily said as he gently pushed the swing Minmi was seating. 

"Ne oppa. I would love too." She giggled.

"Wooh! It's like I'm touching the sky oppa. You must try it." She beamed as soon as the swing slows down. 

"No. As long as I see you happy Mimi... I can no longer ask for more." He smiled at her. 

"Geureom, we'll promise each other oppa. When we already found our happiness soon, we'll never visit this park anymore. Promise?" She raised her pinky finger to seal what she said. 

"I promise." Tao intertwined his with her and smiled. 

 

Her memories vanished all of a sudden when a warm cloth came in contact with her skin. Shownu, who's just already in his vest and white polo shirt, sat beside her. 

"G-Gumawo... Shownu-ssi." She bit her bottom lip as her tears couldn't stop falling. She looked down and felt so pathetic at the moment. Shownu gently moved her head to his shoulder for comfort. 

"When a swing happily moves back and forth, there will come a time that it will end up moving and just stop there... like it had no company at all... right?" Shownu said in nowhere.

Minmi just responded with a small nod while leaning on his shoulder, still crying. He's right. It's already the end between her and Tao. They will never be together no matter how she shows it. Tao will never visit this place again. She promised at the back of her mind the moment she closes her eyes tonight, this marks the closing of her love curtain for Tao. Soon enough, her already blurry vision went black. Totally black ...

 

_____________________________________________

 

ㅠㅡㅠ …  TaoMi.... 💔