Chapter 34. Behind The Mask

Nice Try Ahjussi

 

"Oh. My. God. Mimi ah!! Aren't you excited tonight?" 

Eunji squealed in excitement as she rushed to Minmi at the school canteen. 

"Ah waeyo?" Minmi lazily asked. 

"Aigoo. You're really no fun. It's our first Prom tonight as juniors and guess what? Our theme is masquerade~!"

"Ah that's cool.. " She replied calmly. 

"Also I heard it will be done together with Daewoon University! Omo. There are many cute guys there." 

Eunji beamed, daydreaming as Minmi just walked ahead. She squinted her eyes and caught up with her best friend.

"Ey, you don't have any crushes yet in school. Maybe tonight you'll get to see who you're looking for." She winked at Minmi, nudging her in the arm. 

"Ani jiji ah.. You know I'm not interested in those things."

"Yieeeh.. You'll see. Kaja.. Let's get our masks and dresses for tonight." She beamed. 

They headed to the shopping mall nearby after class. Since the prom would start at 8pm, they still had plenty of time. The two girls finally bought their masks. Eunji picked a brown one with glittery designs on the edge while Minmi picked a purplish silver one with feathers on one side. Soon they parted ways to get home and ready themselves. It's their junior year in high school and who couldn't be excited when this event comes at this year. But for Minmi,  she didn't feel excited at all. She had only to attend since their teacher warned them not to be absent at the event. She put on a simple light purple silvery dress matching her mask. 

"Awh.. My baby's really grown up now. Neomu yeppeuda."

Her mom smiled seeing her as she went out of her room. She smiled too at her mom's compliment but spoiled later after his brother came out laughing. 

"Yah.. I was just kidding. Of course, our aegi was the most beautiful tonight." Inguk beamed.

"You said so oppa. I'll take that then. " She finally smiled again. 

They bid their good lucks and byes to Minmi as she went back to school.

 

Minmi tapped Eunji's back wearing already her mask, causing the latter to not recognize her instantly. 

"Omo. Mimi ah.. You look amazing."

"Aigoo. You too Jiji ah. Yeppeuda!" She replied smilingly. 

"Let's go!" 

The two went in and was surprised when their school's auditorium was now full with students in their beautiful gowns and masks as well as suits. Luckily, Saewoon University had a large auditorium. Eunji and Minmi were amazed at the sight in front of them. They were like in a Western Era party where faces were hidden with masks despite their elegant gowns and suits. 

"Mimi ah? Jiji?" Kihyun welcomed them with a smile as he removed his mask.

"Wooa. Daebak Kihyunnie. You recognized us." Eunji was amazed. 

"Of course. I'm your mighty friend Kihyunnie!" He laughed.

"Aigoo let's go and grab some food to eat." Eunji changed the topic, making Kihyun pout. 

They  grabbed some drinks and desserts at the food area and sat at one corner. The prom started and soon activities followed. As the host school, the students performed a special dance number. Daewoon University performed as well. The junior and senior students really enjoyed the prom. Some made good friends with other students from Daewoon. 

 

"I'll just use the comfort room." Shownu excused himself from Wonho, Hyungwon and Minhyuk. The guys were enjoying their last prom as seniors as well. Being cold hearted as ever, Shownu didn't have any interest in the said occasion. He just went with his friends nagging him to come. Guys in the prom were required to wear same masks. It's a white one that covers the whole face, unlike for the girls that only covers the eyes. The only difference was that a name was written on the back of it's black lace but only small to notice. Shownu entered the men's toilet and removed his mask. He put it beside the sink before going in the room. 

"Tao-ssi! Aren't you coming out? We're going to be late at the bar." A man's voice called from outside the toilet. 

"Ne!" Tao replied and faced the mirror at the sink. 

He removed his mask and fixed his hair before going out. However, he rushed back when he forgot to bring his mask with him. 

Shownu looked in the mirror and fixed his suit. He really hoped this party would end sooner. He wore his mask again and went back to his friends' table. 

Suddenly, the music that filled Saewoon's auditorium was stopped and an MC came up at the stage. 

"Ahem! Guys! This is all what we've been waiting for!" The MC announced. "The Search for tonight's Prom King and Queen!" 

The students cheered and clapped at the occasion's highlight of the night. As traditioned, the search will use a spotlight. Whoever caught the attention of the hidden judges will get the spotlight and will be crowned as the Prom King and Queen. It had a special twist since the hidden judges scored the students with their masks on. So it was solely based on who stood out the most for tonight. 

"And the search for Prom Queen begins!" The MC excitedly announced. 

The spotlight began to move around the auditorium and the students  were very excited. Some girls crossed their fingers, praying to be picked, while Minmi just stayed calm. She didn't want to win anyways. She started to scoop a small slice of a cake and was about to put it in when she suddenly stopped. Her hand was still in the air with a spoonful of cake when all eyes were on her. She slowly put it down and later claps and cheers were around her. 

"Omo! Mimi ah!!! Chukkahae!" Eunji and Kihyun cheered for her. 

Minmi was really surprised than ever. She didn't expect it since other girls were dressed more beautifully than her tonight. Luckily, she had a mask on or else she would go crazy. 

"Ms. Purple-Masked girl, please come up on stage!"

Minmi hesitated to come in front but Eunji pushed her. HA. Too good to have a best friend who's proud for her. Soon the students cheered and they all agreed when they saw Minmi from head to toe on stage. Even with a mask on, she was still stunningly gorgeous. 

"And now, the search for Prom King begins!"

The spotlight rolled again for the last time. Shownu, being all uninterested, excused himself to use the restroom once again. He stood up and walked at the side aisle. However, he halted in his tracks when he saw his shadow in front of him despite the dim light. He shook his head, knowing what's going to be next. A spotlight was thrown at his back and he was caught now. 

"Turn around Mr. And join us on stage!" 

Cheers filled the auditorium once again. Before going up on stage, Shownu motioned his friends to zip their lips as they were laughing and cheering hard for him. 

"Alright. Now, here's another twist for tonight. Our Prom Queen will not reveal her face nor her identity tonight." The MC said, earning an 'awwww' from the male students. They got sad after hearing the announcement since they got no chance of knowing the lovely girl of the night. While on the other hand, Minmi danced in her mind as a victory. She was relieved. 

"But.....!" The MC smiled meaningfully, earning another excitement from the students. "The name of our Prom King will be revealed!" 

This caused more loud cheers from the female students as they squeaked in excitement.

"Alright. Calm down girls. Ms. Purple-Masked, are you ready to know who's your handsome King tonight?"

Minmi got nervous all of a sudden and she didn't know what to respond. The female students cheered a loud 'Yes' for her instead. Thus, she just nodded in response. For Shownu's part, he's already doomed. He really regretted coming now. 

"Ok. I'll reveal the name of our King now. Geundae...removing of mask is still prohibited." 

The female students protested a bit. Only revealing his name was too torturing for them. HA. The MC walked behind Shownu and flipped the back of the lace of his mask. Shownu looked down as the MC went back in front. 

"Our King of the Night.... give a round of applause for Tao-ssi!"

The cheers and claps got louder again. Shownu on the other hand was very surprised. His name was not announced. Thus, he felt so relieved. But he was also wondering why. That's when a memory of a guy being called as Tao in the restroom flashed in his mind. It could be that one of them got the wrong mask. Wonho, Minhyuk and Hyungwon were speechless too. 

"Ok. Ladies and Gentlemen, our King and Queen of the Night!" 

The MC once again announced and crowns were put on Minmi and Shownu's head. 

"You can now have your dance!" 

The MC added, earning creased foreheads from the two. However, the cheers from the students got even more louder for them. They had no choice but to oblige. A waltz song started playing and Shownu, being the guy, didn't know where to start at first. It's his first time dancing with a girl. He mentally facepalmed himself. He closed his eyes behind the mask and offered his right hand nervously. Minmi also freaked out as well. She don't know how to dance and her hands and knees were a bit shaking now. She slowly took his hand and didn't care anymore. All she wanted was to finish this as soon as possible. Shownu placed his other hand carefully on her waist as she also put her other hand on his shoulder. He could sensed that he wasn't the only one who's nervous. She leaned closer and he was surprised a bit.

"Please guide me. I don't know how to dance." She whispered nervously. 

Shownu paused for a while. The moment he heard her voice, his heart raced for no reason. 

"N-ne. Just follow then my lead." He replied. 

He stepped first and she also followed. Step two. Three. And Four. Soon, he held her hand tightly and they finally danced smoothly. The students were glued at the lovely scene. Claps and cheers dominated again. 

"You can join them now and enjoy the rest of the night!" The MC lastly said, happily.

Hence, in a few seconds, they were joined by other students dancing. A smile escaped Minmi's face as she felt happy for the first time. Shownu also smiled seeing her happy. It felt like they're the only one dancing. 

"Eo.. Mianhae." Minmi apologized after stepping on Shownu's shoe.

Luckily, it's also the end of the song. She slowly removed her hand on his shoulder which had already found its comfort there. Her heartbeat got fast all of a sudden. Also, Shownu quickly removed his hand on her waist. They felt awkward to each other instantly. 

"Gwaenchana... " He replied shyly. 

"Gumawo." She bowed and went on her friend's seat quickly. 

Eunji and Kihyun congratulated her. And she couldn't hide the fact that she was also happy. Eunji nudged her in the arm teasing her to the King of the Night. Yet, she shook her head. She was just happy. Nothing else. Or was there's really something more? 

 

 

Eunji and Kihyun were worried for Minmi now. After the Prom Night, Minmi suggested to take a drink from a mini store one street away from their house before going home. 

"Ahjummeoni, one more soju please."

 Minmi called for another round but Eunji stopped her. It's her first time drinking soju and the first bottle was already making her drunk. She called for a drink to clear her mind. She didn't want to accept the fact that's something's strange was going on her as a girl. She was all uninterested in things related to liking guys but this one was so hard to accept for her. She received lots of confessions but she turned them down without thinking a second about it. But now, a guy whom she didn't see his face behind the mask... A guy named Tao...was making her heart beat strangely. 

"Arasseo. It's all cleared up now. I couldn't remember any of him now." She stood up and swayed a bit but still managed to walk straight. 

"Are you sure you'll be fine going home alone?" Eunji asked worriedly. 

"Ne. My house was just one street away." Minmi smiled as she fixed her scarf. 

"Okay. Call us when you get home. Arasseo?" Kihyun said. 

"Ne~" She saluted. 

Soon, they parted ways and Minmi headed home. She felt dizzy and sleepy already but she still tried to walk normally. When she couldn't take it anymore, she sat on a base of a lamp post along the street. 

 

Shownu was rushing in a convenience store while still on his suit. He forgot to buy a battery for their wall clock at home as her mother asked him. After going in, he slowly walked back and his eyes didn't deceive him. He saw a girl sitting under the lamp post beside the store. He slowly walked towards her and bent down to check her. Seeing her dress, there's no doubt she's the girl she danced with a while ago. He shook his head. He found this girl really amusing for sleeping comfortably under a lamp post. He took off his coat, leaving him in his white long sleeves and put it around her. He was about to wake her up but he realized he had his mask off. She could recognize him. He opened his sling bag and put his mask again. He tried to wake her up but sad to say, nothing happened. He gathered all his strength then and carried her on his back. While on their way, Minmi was stirred in her sleep which alarmed Shownu. This was the right timing to ask her where she lives. Or else, he'd go wandering the street with her throughout the night. 

"Miss..where is your house? Is it nearby?"

Minmi squinted her eyes and the road was still blurred to her. 

"I lived nearby ahjussi. Take me there. Ppalli!" She whined, pointing at one direction. 

"Aish.. Drink only when you can handle it. Arasseo!?"

He scolded her after he smelled soju around her. She's still drunk and blabbed things she didn't know. 

"Also I'm not a taxi and not an ahjussi. So stay still or else you'll fall." He warned her. 

"Ne..." Minmi replied like a tamed one.

She tried to open her eyes wide again and she saw the back of his head. A flipped lace was wrapped around his head and she tried to read what was written. When she saw it, she smiled widely. 

"Tao-ssi... I'm so lucky today." She said happily. 

Shownu was surprised a bit yet he pretended not, for her to not notice.

"Waeyo?" He asked as he continued to walk. 

"My King arrived and saved me." She beamed. 

His heart beat fast again at what she said. 

"Are we near from your house already?" He changed the topic quickly. Minmi rubbed her eyes and nodded. 

"This way.." She replied as her eyes got closed again. 

"Where?" 

He turned his head to her right and that's when Minmi also turned her head to her left. A slight kiss was planted on his cheek and his face heated instantly. He stopped walking for a moment and breathed in and out deeply. This girl seriously makes him go crazy. After getting back to his senses, he started to walk again. 

"My King... Your Queen's name. Shin Minmi imnida." She smiled, eyes still closed.

Shownu also smiled at the heard of it. His heart jumped in joy after knowing her name. The reason? He didn't know why. 

"If you where to give me a nickname.. What would it be?" She slurred a bit. 

"Nickname?"

"Ne.. "

"Hmm.. Mimi...? Gurae. Mimi would do." He replied. 

"Ah ne.. Kyeopta. From now on, my nickname is Mimi." She beamed. 

"Eo? My king.. That's where I live." 

He squinted his eyes on the house few meters away and he was glad, they made it. 

"This is your-" He stopped asking when he already heard a light snore from the back. 

He knocked and a guy opened the door. 

"Omo. You scared me with that mask." Inguk said. 

"Ah.. Mianhae." Shownu bowed. 

Inguk saw his sister sleeping on his back and quickly helped him enter the house. He laid her on the sofa and took off his coat on her as Inguk brought some blanket and pillows. 

"Thank you so much for bringing my sister home safely." Inguk said. 

"Ah it's no big deal. I just saw her while I'm on my way. She was fast asleep." He replied as he rubbed the back of his neck. 

"I'll get going then." He bowed and Inguk also did the same. 

When Shownu wasn't that far yet, Inguk went outside. 

"Gidaryo! Mr...? Inguk yelled from afar. 

"Shownu.. "

"Ah.. Shownu-ssi.. If you don't mind, can I at least take a glimpse of your face?" Inguk said. 

He hesitated for a while but soon took off his mask. 

"Kamsahamnida..." Inguk smiled. "Take care on your way home, Shownu-ssi."

Shownu smiled and bowed again. On his way home, he couldn't help but smile. It's the best night ever in his senior year. 

''Shin Minmi.'' He muttered. 

Just the thought of her makes him happy. Her eyes behind the mask and her smile when they danced make his heart skipped a beat. Guess, the Ice King of Daewoon University had already found his Icebreaker Queen.

 

_________________________________________________

😍😊❤