BLUES 109

College Blues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--- DARA ---

 

It's Saturday morning. I opened her eyes and it's still dark. I wondered why. I glanced at my alarm clock which is situated on my bedside table.

 

"Geez, I woke up even before the alarm. One hour before my alarm. *YAWN*" I pulled one pillow and put it on my head. "I better sleep again." I stretched my legs straight then curled it again. I removed the extra pillow on my head and put it in between my knees. I lied down straight, my back against the bed in a halt, causing the pillow to topple on the floor. "Arggghhh! I want to sleep more, but I can't!" I decided to sit on my bed and stretched my arms up in the air. "YYAAAWWWWNNN!" I lazily stood up and opened the curtains. Warm sunlight kissed my skin while I opened it. I looked at the sky and stared at it for a while.

 

"Good morning!" I said to the unknown while smiling brightly. Today Bom is going to pick me up, and I am so happy. It's like a blessing in disguise that Bommie decided to pick up suddenly when I don't have my car here. I missed the times we go together with Hyesun. Even though we are from the same University, we are all busy with our studies that even lunch breaks are not enough for us to catch up. I wonder when we could hang out without thinking about the time and the classes afterwards. "Gosh, I miss my girls."

 

I went to my bathroom, washed my face with water and brushed my teeth. I looked at my reflection in the mirror. Suddenly it hit me. Some words I heard last night. I just want you to know that I really like you Dara... be my girlfriend in the process. I shook my head. Ji's words. I inhaled deeply as I think about what happened last night.

 

--- FLASHBACK ---

---- In Dara's POV----

 

The trip to my home was comfortable. I have spent time with the Swimming varsity quite a lot for the past years and I grew accustomed to them. I treat them as my good friends already. Bommie introduced them to us and Hyesun and I enjoyed their company well.

 

I looked outside the window, Ji is driving a Toyota Pajero, it seems it is brand new. The smell of the interior is like Christmas, fresh and crisp. It was really clean, I began to think Ji is a clean freak.

 

"Is your car brand new?" I asked Ji.

 

"Yup, my Dad got it for me last time I won the Gold medal, it's my 50th since I was 4 years old, he was so happy that he suddenly bought me this." He said without looking at me, just concentrated in his driving but with a smile on his lips.

 

"I would be proud too. Imagine 50 gold medals? You are really the swimming master." I poked him on the arm.

 

"That name, I don't like it. I don't know why the students named us at all." He said.

 

"It's so funny right? Suddenly you realized you are already called by another name and you don't have a choice but just get used to it, well, through time of course."

 

"Exactly you just get used to it because you don't have a choice anymore. Even the freshmen knew us with those silly nicknames." He chuckled a bit.

 

"At least yours is better, it's about your skills and it really suits you well." I said to him.

"Oh, you hate being called 'the eye-candy'?" He asked me.

"Yes, I felt dumb or something." I said to him and then straighten my back a bit. "Also, this jerk, oh I mean the jock, always teases me and calls me vegetable names every time maybe because I was called eye-candy he is associating me with food." I frowned and glanced at Ji. His grip on the steering wheel tightened and he was gritting his teeth. "Ji?"

"Because he is a jerk, don't mind her Dee." He looked at me kindly then looked back on the road. "And we know that you are far from being dumb."

"Am I?" I looked out the window again, trying to read all the signs I see but it seems my eye and my mind isn't harmonizing. Suddenly, I felt something in my gut. Damn, I'm guilty. And dumb because I think I am falling for this jerk.

"He really gives you a hard time huh?" Ji asked me.

"Ani, I'm used to it already. Besides why would I let him affect me?" I said to him without really looking at him. "I stopped being affected, as I know he is just being himself, you know, a jerk." I forced a chuckle, feeling idiotic that Ji might know I was forcing it.

"I really hope you are not affected by his gestures Dee." He said.

"I am not, don't worry." I looked ahead. "Oh, right turn here please."

"Yes ma'am!" He said happily.

"Ma'am? That's so funny, you calling me like that."

"Funny?"

"Yes, I felt mature." I sighed. "And this jerk calls me kiddo. Funny, unbelievably funny, annoying and irritating." I suddenly looked at Ji as I have spoken it aloud when I was just thinking it. He grasped the steering wheel tightly again.

"Are you sure?"

"Sure of what?"

"I think he has this effect on you." He said it with controlled hissing.

"Oh, n-no, it's just that today I saw him a lot. You know in the morning until my circuits 101 class." I said. "Do you have any upcoming swimming competitions?" I tried to change the topic. "Oh just go straight please." I told him when he slowed down.

"Competitions? Are you going to watch?" He smiled, his eyes gleaming.  

"Why not, if I can." I smiled back at him.

"But Bommie told me you aren't really a sports fan."

"Hmm.. Yes. But I sometimes watch some sports on TV. I've watched basketball from time to time as my father and brother watches it, it's quite amusing too. But I think it's a dangerous sport. I like watching snooker though, you know the billiards game, it is quite boring, but I love watching it, I enjoyed it. Also, during Olympics, I like watching swimming, it's such a nice sport Ji. It's fascinating how one can swim like that, so fast yet so graceful. It makes me wonder how can you flip your body fast just like that each time you reach the end, and going for another lap." I looked at him and realized he has stopped driving and we are parked in the middle of the road. "What?"

"Nothing." He puts his hands on the steering wheel again. "You fascinate me." He simply said while hitting on the gas and driving again. I fascinate him? Just like how Yoona fascinates Hae. I grunted. "What? You hate it?"

"Oh a-ani." I smiled back at him. We drove in silence as we reached my house.

"Here. This house." I said while tapping the window where our house stands.

"Nice house Dee." Ji said.

"Thanks. Do you want to come in? Better, have dinner with us." I asked him.

"No, I've got this thing with my Dad. Next time maybe?" He looked at me intently. "If the offer still stands."

"Of course, silly." I smiled at him brightly, then I removed my seatbelt. "Bye Ji, and thanks again!" I was going to open the door but he suddenly held my wrist.

"Dee." He said. I looked at him again.

"Yep?"

"I need to tell you something." He said while smiling a bit. I can tell that he is nervous.

"Yah, is there something wrong?" I asked him.

"Ani. Please give me a second?" He smiled to me. Then he inhaled and looked at me intently again. "I just want you to know that I really like you Dara. I know it's so sudden, but I have liked you since... well, I don't know when." He combed his blonde hair with his fingers then he looked at me again. "I know you are surprised, but I just want you to give me the chance to date you." He took my hand on his hand and gently squeezed it. "And be my girlfriend in the process."  

I looked at him surprised, I don't know what to tell him. Yes I have known already that he likes me but I never thought he would confess now. Like now. Right now. Exactly now when my feelings for Hae became questionable, I opened my mouth but no words came out.

"It's okay Dee, you don't have to give me your answer now, just think about it first. I am just here and I will be waiting for your answer." He smiled to me warmly.

 

--- =+= ---

 

"Doomed. Just doomed." I said to myself while looking at my reflection in the mirror. I went to my wardrobe and stood there checking and looking for the clothes to wear today.

"Jeans. I should wear jeans and a t-shirt today." Thinking about the embarrassment I went through yesterday, I don't think I should wear another dress, I think I should lay off dresses for a while. I pulled out one ripped jeans and scanned through my shirts. I decided to wear a plain black v-neck shirt. I went to my accessories and choose a simple long necklace with key, a wing and a heart pendant, I took a simple heart stud earrings and took two rings with heart design on it. I went to my bed and lay it all. Shoes. I went to my shoe corner. I have an unbelievable collection of shoes, from sandals to heels to sneakers. I pulled out my worn out faded black converse and a pair of socks. I went near my bed and put it on the floor.

I looked at my outfit and realized I needed one more thing. Bag. As I was wearing a dress yesterday, I have used a shoulder bag, now with my get up, I think a backpack will suit my outfit more. I went to my wardrobe again and selected a simple black leather backpack. I put it on the bed and started transferring my things from the shoulder bag to the back pack. There.

I went to my bathroom and took a longer bath since I have too much time in my hand.  

 

--- HAE ---

I glanced at my watch. Damn, 7:30am! Why is the time so slow? I sighed as I looked out, eyeing Dee's house. I reached here at exactly 7:14am which is an hour early than the pick-up time which is 8:15am. I was so excited and I don't want to be late so I moved early. Too early, stupid. I put my hands on the steering wheel and leaned my head on it. Sandara Park, look what you have done to this poor lad.

I inhaled and exhaled loudly, trying to calm my nerves. I sat straight again and pulled down the overhead mirror. I looked at my reflection.

"Hi there. Bommie asked me" I flicked my tongue. "Hi, good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter