BLUES 104

College Blues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

--- DARA ---

 

I was in our house parking lot, letting the engine heat up before I drive to school. My parents gave me a second hand FJ cruiser when I graduated from high school. They have asked me what I want as a gift; I told them I wanted a car that will fit me, Bommie and Hyesun when we go to school. I thought they are going to buy me a Volkswagen beetle since they kept teasing me how tiny I am, but when I saw the car, I was so happy! It's a big car! I wanted a big car actually, I prefer big cars. My mother told me that if I didn't pass in this prestigious university, they were actually planning to buy me a second hand sedan car but since I did great with the entrace exams, and I made them proud and happy, they decided to buy me this car. This has been my baby ever since.

 

Today is Thursday. It´s a jerk-free day! Yupppiiee! I have been thinking about that jerk last night before I sleep. He never answered me when I have asked him how he knew that I am going to my calculus. Did he check my schedule? Did he asked Bommie? But why? If he did, maybe, what Bom said the other day is really true? Does he really like me? Arrggghhh. If that is true, then, sorry for him. I don't think I can like him back...now. Let me share a secret, the first day of Circuits 101, I saw a hot lad entering our classroom. My heart began to abnormally beat inside my chest. He was the gorgeous-playful-boy I saw in the cafeteria last time. Once, we were eating in the cafeteria and a group of jocks came in, they were actually loud so it is hard not to notice them. But what caught my attention more? It's this gorgeous boy that is too playful, teasing everyone in their group and smiling brightly. Yes. That's Hae...the jerk. But I never knew his name and never asked anyone. I really didn't think that I like him that time, but I cannot deny that I was really attracted to him. I was even staring at him when he entered the room and my heart skip a beat when he started walking towards me, but you know what? Once he is in front of me? He sat beside me and said: 'Hello eggplant'. It earned chuckles from my classmate, and I immediately lost interest in him. Can't he even say hello grapes? Or hello lavender? Seriously, an eggplant? I suddenly stood up from my seat and just selected the available seat in front, even if I don't like sitting in front and always prefer to take the last seat near the window. It still makes my blood boil every time I remember that first day I finally had the chance to see him at that distance. Jerk. Hae the campus jerk.

 

 I stepped on the gas and drove to school. It's funny though, as I am used to my life with Bommie and Hyesun, I was actually thinking that every day, I will be picking them up and we will go together to school. That's the purpose of this car, my baby. That's why I've asked for a car. On our first sem as a freshmen, it was possible as our schedule are all the same, classes starts at 8am and ends around 3pm. But now no, we all have different schedules even the time that our classes start and end all differs. We were lucky to be able to make our lunch time same for 3 days. At least we could still hang out in school.

 

It will take at least 45 minutes of driving from my home to the school if there is no traffic, but I prefer to go earlier as we don't know what is ahead of us. And I really hate rushing, especially when driving, it's extremely dangerous, not just for me but for the other motorists too. When I reached the parking lot, it's still early, I'm actually 45minutes early, I don't mind, I can just hang out somewhere and listen to music or study a bit or read a book. I scanned for the best parking space there is and decided to take a space in between a Jeep Wrangler and a mini cooper. When I have completely parked my baby, I checked both sides in the mirror and check the space in between the cars. Perfect. Since it's still early, I didn't switched off the engine, I took my phone and decided to check the Instagram updates that I haven't seen yet since last night.

 

I was completely entertained by the posts that I didn't notice that somebody is already standing outside my door. When I looked in the window as I see a shadow, I was surprised to see the jerk. I accidentally threw my phone and wasn't able to catch it since I was too stunned. He then tapped the window. I completely unlock the doors and the windows because he shocked me, I rolled down the window.

 

"What?!" I asked him as I was really annoyed that he freaked me out.

 

"Good morning to you too." He said to me while smiling brightly.

 

"Hmphh, morning." I looked down and checked where I dropped my phone. Before I knew it, Hae is already climbing inside my car on the passenger's seat. "Yah! Why are you here???" I snapped at him.

 

"I'm helping you look for your phone. Ah there it is." He said pointing at my phone which toppled down at the back just in the middle. I tried to reach for it at the same time he reached for it. We bumped our head together and we both shouted. "OUCH!"

 

"Yahh!!!" I snapped at him again. I was surprised when he reached out and touched my head.

 

"Are you okay?" His face was completely covered with worry and concern. Maybe he realized what he was doing and immediately moved backwards. We were enveloped with an embarrassing atmosphere. I decided to break it.

 

"I'm okay." I touched my head then moved my hand to reach for my phone.

 

"Don't move. I'll reach for it." He answered and as obedient as I am I let him reach for my phone, it was his doing anyway. "Here, are you sure you are okay?" He hand me my phone and he asked me.

 

"Yes. Why? You don't want me to be fine?" He chuckled at my reply.

 

"That's the feisty eye candy I know. I guess you are really fine." I just looked at him in awe. He wandered his eyes around my car. "You have a nice car."

 

"Thanks. It's my parents' gift, I liked that one too but I was happy with this baby." I said while pointing at the Jeep wrangler outside, on my left side.

 

"You know that your car is more expensive than that car right?" He asked me.

 

"Yup, but the look it's more fierce. Anyway this is a second hand only, so maybe that costs more."

 

"Yes it does look more fierce, but for an eye candy like you, you should drive a mini cooper like that." He pointed at the right side where the mini was parked.  

 

"Because I'm tiny?" I snapped back at him.

 

"Ani, that didn't come from me. But that looks more feminine though." He said while still looking at the mini.

 

"I don't like feminine cars, I like masculine cars like my baby."

 

"Your baby?" He flashed me with an amused look.

 

"Yes, do you think only men call their cars their baby??"

 

"Oh well... You are right." He smiled at me, a boyish smile. If only he is like this every day, I don't mind not calling him the jerk.

 

“The mini is too feminine, like if a guy is driving it, it’s funny.” I told him.

 

“That’s true, but that car is Yoona's anyways, so it fits her well.” He said while still looking at the car. I wonder how he knew, are they close? Well they both have the same course, maybe that’s why? I turned my gaze on the wrangler.

 

“I wonder how that car looks like inside. I always want to see the interior. When my parents took me to the casa, they don’t have an available wrangler, so I wasn’t able to see it.”

 

“Hmmm, I bet there’s nothing to see. You want to take a peek?” He asked me.

 

“From outside?” I asked him with a confused look.

 

“Yes, how the heck are we going to see the inside?” He said while laughing. This annoyed me again, we were fine earlier.

 

“I know that.” I said with a frown.

 

“So?”

 

“What?” I asked him while raising my brow.

 

“Let’s take a peek, I want to see also. Let’s see now at least there aren’t much students yet in the parking.” I looked around, he is right. I nodded at him. He started to go out of my car, I gathered my bag and pulled out the key, when I was going to open the door, I was surprised that he opened it already for me. So, he could be a gentleman after all.

 

I went down and locked my car. He then led me to the passenger’s seat and I took a peek on the lightly tinted window. He walked around to the driver’s seat. I was busy looking at the interior, with my hands both pressed on the window when I heard the door unlocked. I was stunned and embarrassed as the owner might see me peeking on his car like a thief. I stepped back but the window rolled down, exposing Hae, sitting on the driver’s seat.

 

“Get in, examine it closely.” He said, without cockiness in his voice. I did what he suggested even I was amazed that he was the owner of the car.

 

“Looks very manly inside. I’m surprised you didn’t choose leather interior.” I said in a composed manner, I don’t want him to sense that I was embarrassed and shy.

 

“Leather seats can be really hot in summer. And since the parking here isn’t covered, I opted for these covers instead.” He answered while checking his phone.

 

“Uhm, that’s true. Must be nice to drive a four-wheel drive.” He looked at me as if surprised with my words.

 

“How? Hmmm… beauty and brains…” He answered while still looking intently at me.

 

“What?”

 

“You are the eye candy of this campus but also beauty and brains as they say.” He replied while I still look at him confused.

 

“Cars, you know about cars.” He answered my confusion.

 

“Oh, this is an off road vehicle, so this comes with a four-wheel drive as a standard. And mine is-“ I wasn’t able to continue as he butted in.

 

“A rear-wheel vehicle.” He smiled at me brightly. “You really surprise me.” He then said while shaking his head, smile still stamped on his face.

 

“And you surprise me as well.”

 

“In what way?”

 

“You can actually be a decent person, I didn’t know that or I cannot fathom even that idea.” I said to him smiling. Before it gets weirder I took the initiative to say goodbye. “Anyway, thanks for letting me have a peek. I’ll go ahead now.”

 

“See you durian around!” I heard him chuckle before I closed his doors. And he is back to being a jerk. I took a quick look on my reflection on one of the car that was parked. *ARGHHH* I'm wearing a dress in green with a slight hint of brown lines, the hem is with yellow thread. If somebody hears him call me that, maybe they will think I smell bad or something. I frowned with the thought. Mental note to self, avoid him for the entire day!

 

I walked to the gate when I notice that someone is behind me.

 

“Hi Dara.” Yoona said.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Moving to a jock now after the model?” She said to me sarcastically.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Getting cozy inside a wrangler? You prefer the wrangler over the Z5 now?”

 

“Look Yoona, first, it’s none of your business. Second, live your own life instead of w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter