Chapter 6 : Our Stories

Jinho's Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

15 February 2016 (Monday), 3 p.m.

 

Defconn : One, two, three... How many people were there?

Jinho : 87 people.

 

De1 is on 'Weekly Idol'! We're here to promote our comeback song 'Tag, You're It'. It's important that we promote the song properly because this song will be the theme song of LightUp's open recruitment for singers, dancers, and entertainers. Before this, the company had only ever scouted their trainees. Now, the public can enter the building and book a certain time for an audition.

Having said that, this is still our first time on 'Weekly Idol'. Right of the bat, we were asked to verify our special skills. Mine was definitely having learned six languages, which derived from having a good memorizing skill. To test my memory, the production crew prepared a picture containing many people in it. It was displayed on a TV monitor for only three seconds. Afterwards, I had to say the total number of people.

 

Defconn : 87 people. Is that correct?

PD : That is... correct.

 

Everyone clapped their hands. They were amazed that I got it right.

 

Defconn : Wow... how do you get it right?

Jinho : It just comes naturally to me. It's something I'm very confident in.

Defconn : No other idol could possibly challenge you in a memorizing game. But I am curious. You learned five other language. Mandarin, Japanese, English,...

Jinho : Malay and Thai.

Defconn : ...Malay, Thai. Why these ones? Why not French? Or Spanish?

Jinho : Ah... I see. Well, obviously Korean is what I was born to learn. When I was four years old, my family moved to Malaysia because of work. I learned English there because I thought it would be the best when communicating. Eventually, I picked up Malay. When I got older, Mandarin. I learned Thai because my family goes to Bangkok for vacation once a year. After moving back to Korea, I learned Japanese because I've been reading a lot of mangas.

Sky : Hyung, you should also tell him it's the reason why you got scouted.

Defconn : Really?!! How?

Jinho : It's embarrassing to tell everytime. Basically, when LightUp was still newly established, our CEO was personally recruiting talented people to join the company. I was the MC for a schoolplay. The CEO's daughter and I went to the same school. During the play, my job was to entertain the audience in between scenes of the play. What I often do is sing a popular song and I get my friends in the audience seats to get everyone to sing along. The CEO and his daughter was sitting next to each other. When he heard me sing, his daughter started talking about me. About how I could speak six languages, about how I can sing and dance, and how funny I am with a crowd. Two months later when he started LightUp, he approached me and here I am.

Sky : He put the least amount of effort out of all of us to become a trainee! He wasn't even trying to be one at the time!

Jinho : It was still better than doing part-time jobs, so I'm very grateful to the CEO and LightUp.

Defconn : Wow... that is impressive. Thank you for sharing that story. Next to verify their skills, Sky!

Sky : Yes. It's my turn.

Def

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter